You have to hear this.

plonker88

Axl no longer has control over how his music is used. He sold his publishing rights to Merc's company a couple of years ago. I think it was 20 million pounds for the next 15 years or so. Slash/Duff would still own their righst and would have had to agreewith the publishing company to sell PC for this ad.

Axl no longer has control over how his music is used. He sold his publishing rights to Merc's company a couple of years ago. I think it was 20 million pounds for the next 15 years or so. Slash/Duff would still own their righst and would have had to agreewith the publishing company to sell PC for this ad.

If true that was a great business deal on Axl's part has long as he still get the royalties.

Actually it means he authorized a company to license the songs out. A lot of artists do this when they don't want to be sitting around signing off on a ton of paperwork so some marching band wanting to record "Paradise City". In 20 years (or if they agree to end the contract early), he gets the rights back and would find someone else to handle it.

The question is if Merck actually has to run it by him to agree or disagree.. commercials, he prob. ran it by Axl. He prob. heard John Lydon doing a butter commercial in England and they weren't using GNR music, so they were fine with it. Other than for the "filthy lucre" reason, Mr Rotten said that it was because British exports had been hard hit, and considers himself a "British export" as well.

Slash didn't know anything about it.

I sent him a twitter message about it, and he kindly replied saying "I didn't know it'd been cleared. I'll be looking into it."

wow, I'm shocked by this...is this fan made or a real commercial?

Never thought Axl would give up the rights to his music for ads...to my recollection he's never done that before.

Hardley davidson with Better?

that comercial was taken down because they didn't have the rights to use it