Do you think Axl should bring Izzy back to help write the new album?

ITW 2012

Why wouldn't you want Izzy to help write a whole album?

Honestly, it wouldn't be the same. 1 or 2 tracks would be cool just to hear how it sounded, but listen to 'Ghost' on slash's album.... that doesn't have the 'oldschool gnr' vibe that slash hyped it up to have.....

plus it would bring up annoying reunion rumours and shit....

i hope izzy eventually makes more guest appearences live though.....

I agree that having Izzy write for nu-GnR would not work, it would be contrary to Axl trying to forge a new identity/sound.

But Ghost 100% dies have the old school gnR vibe all it is missing is Axl's voice (and lyrics)?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buckethead, for all of his shredding brilliance, is a commercial failure. Izzy writes songs that EVERYONE likes. That pretty much means that those who vote no for this thread, vote no for Axl's success as he's never been successful without him.

So again, if you're an Axl fan, you should WANT Izzy to write a new album with him because it's in his best interest.

ive always had a fantasy that GNR would turn into The Stones type band with Izzy n Axl working together in GNR . It would be a whole different reality to where we are now with GNR and where it once was. Kind of like Black and Blue era Stones with Izzy songs with Axl singing and a couple of Axl's ballads. A whole bunch of 9 track albums. sort of like Izzy's solo albums with Axl singing i guess.

It's hard to see Izzy fitting in to GNR as it is now. I think it could work for one song on CD II. Izzy, Fortus, Dj is a pretty rock n roll looking band.

You talk as if Axl has the power to make that happen, Izzy doesn't want to be in Guns N Roses. Would it be cool? of course, but it isn't going to happen.

sort of like the bring back bucket movement.

it would have happened if it was in the cards.

but thats a bit different. axl wanted bucket back, bucket apparently wants nothing to do with gnr.

izzy doesn't want back in but i dont think axl wants him back either. at least not on a full time basis. its hard to tell exactly what membership means these days with the gnr family. in that case maybe it would work. but considering axls comments about izzys reliability, and how his behavior in 06/07 surprised a lot of the current gnr staff, opened a lot of eyes i believe was the exact wording, i suspect the feeling is mutual.

Edited by Jackie Moon

well thats the only reason it might work, with the new gnr family.

ghost is the only slash song i have any interest in ever hearing again. i credit izzy. i love CD but i feel there is something missing. like SOD, its a good song but i cant help but feel it missed its mark. perhaps izzy could bring in whats lacking in that department.

bucket blew slash out of the water in a number of areas. ok, all areas.

robin did a good job of adding the blues sound, a good foil to the big B.

ron brought in a bit of rock, he held his own.

but i dont know if izzys role has ever really been replaced. i guess tobias is the new izzy. actually thats exactly the dynamic. never looked at it that way. izzy would definitely be an upgrade.

bring back izzy.

Edited by Jackie Moon

I really just want a new album and we all know that Axl and Izzy are capable of writing great songs together.

By advocating bringing Izzy back you're basically advocating bringing Slash back as well, because what good is Izzy going to do Axl at this point when he specializes in the blues based rock style like Slash plays? I may be wrong, but I don't think Izzy has pumped out any tunes along the lines of cd, scraped or shackler's revenge, and that is the direction Axl has gone musically.

Listen to Ghost. While awesome, it is not a direction Axl is taking the band. If he wanted to make an album like that, he would call Izzy/Slash, because no one does that sound better than them. I would think you realize by now that he is beyond that phase of his musical life.

I think DJ and Richard are capable of playing in the bluesy style. You have to remember that the main guitarists on CD are now gone.

Making a Slash style bluesy album would be admitting defeat on Axl's part, and it is not going to happen. Going back to the old sound after only one new album would be nothing more than a validation that the move away from the Classic GNR sound was a disaster. Axl will not throw away a decade plus of trying to establish a new identity like that.

to me it's Izzy songwriting ability that sets him apart. It's an off beat style that can't be replicated. I guess he really is a solo artist in that way. They'll have to get a song from Dj, Ron, Fortus, Tommy, Pitman. pretty much like CD.

bucket blew slash out of the water in a number of areas. ok, all areas.

Wrong, Jackie Moon. Buckethead is technically good (better than Slash), but he has never written a riff or solo on the same level as Estranged or Sweet Child etc...

Even though I love his solo on TWAT, it is still in the little boys league when you compare it to Slash's best work. So I'm afraid you have no clue in that area, kiddo.

Do you think Axl should bring Izzy back to help write the new album? I think it would be a smart move to bring back the guy that Axl wrote some of his best material with. Plus, this band could use a proven songwriter, other than Axl. Yes, I know DJ wrote a hit with Sixx AM, but Life Is Beautiful wouldn't work as a GNR song.

They are in good terms so something like this might happen.

However, I'm not sure if its a good idea to have him cowrite the whole album straight off the bat. I think Axl should put all the guys on a two month writing mission, Izzy included, then after bring the boys back into the studio, rehearse the demostuff Axl likes the most, record 22 songs, pick 12 songs, record and mix them carefully, release an album.

then after the fact look at the credits and see how many izzy or axl/izzy songs there are in the final twelve. if its 12/12, then go "oh my its an Axl/izzy album allover again!"

but not predetermine things.

The next album has to have a Axl/Dj song. A Ron song. Fortus is going to want to get a writing credit? There's too much talent in the band. I could see a Izzy song but maybe it's gets too political, especially with reviews.

Guest RonMexico82

izzy doesn't want back in but i dont think axl wants him back either. at least not on a full time basis. its hard to tell exactly what membership means these days with the gnr family. in that case maybe it would work. but considering axls comments about izzys reliability, and how his behavior in 06/07 surprised a lot of the current gnr staff, opened a lot of eyes i believe was the exact wording, i suspect the feeling is mutual.

What is that all about? News to me? :question:

well thats the only reason it might work, with the new gnr family.

ghost is the only slash song i have any interest in ever hearing again. i credit izzy.

Absolutely agree. I can't listen to much else on that album save for Ghost.

I would love it if Axl and Izzy wrote new material together. I think that would be amazing but would I want Izzy to co-write with GN'R at the moment? Probably not and that's because the band involves different people now. The recent material is very different to that of what the guys used to write. If GN'R made a loose album in the near future I would like to hear a track between Izzy, Axl and Ron.

I wonder if any of Izzy's songs were turned down as GN'R songs? I would enjoy it if the band played an Izzy song if he were to join them now and again at a couple of shows but only as a break for Axl. I would also enjoy seeing a song of Ron's being reworked as a GN'R song.

I'll decide when I hear Down By The Ocean.

here you go

Everyone assumes 'down by the ocean' is and Izzy song that new gn'r are working on. That's just speculation, all Axl did was confirm the song title and the song as one of Izzy's, he didn't say they were doing it - this is surely the song.

Edited by axl8302