Do you think Axl should bring Izzy back to help write the new album?

ITW 2012

Do you think Axl should bring Izzy back to help write the new album? I think it would be a smart move to bring back the guy that Axl wrote some of his best material with. Plus, this band could use a proven songwriter, other than Axl. Yes, I know DJ wrote a hit with Sixx AM, but Life Is Beautiful wouldn't work as a GNR song.

Edited by ITW 2012

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why wouldn't you want Izzy to help write a whole album?

Honestly, it wouldn't be the same. 1 or 2 tracks would be cool just to hear how it sounded, but listen to 'Ghost' on slash's album.... that doesn't have the 'oldschool gnr' vibe that slash hyped it up to have.....

plus it would bring up annoying reunion rumours and shit....

i hope izzy eventually makes more guest appearences live though.....

Have you listened to Izzy's solo stuff? If you want him to help write an album you might as well bring back Slash because you'll just be making blues based rock again in which case it would defeat the purpose of what Axl has tried to do with the band. Axl has moved on from that.

I think the current guys in the band are more than capable of writing a great band. Ron is super creative and a guitar master. Whether you like his playing or not, he is a guitar master, and with the proper direction, can create just about anything. Ashba is very talented, and can write as well. I don't know much about Fortus, but he is a great guitar player too. Then you've got Pittman who is extremely talented who can write. Then you've got Tommy who can probably write as well. Not to mention Paul Huge, who is probably still on good terms with the band. That guy is an unrecognized genius. He wrote or co wrote most of CD.

Axl has assembled an amazing cast of musicians and now with Finck and Brain gone, it really appears that this lineup gets along and has great chemistry together. I think they don't need Izzy or anyone else.

I also don't think Ashba would have joined this band if they had no intention of writing a new album. He's had success and is in demand, so I don't see him going into a situation just to be a hired gun for touring purposes.

Guys, there will be another album, and I think it's going to come quickly. When you take away the super paranoid planning that must come when expectations are so high, you have some room to breathe. CD was an endless project. Axl returning and replacing the original GNR required a massive amount of planning. That burden is gone.

Now that the weight has been lifted, the whole attitude has changed.

The lineup is fresh. Bringing back Izzy isn't necessary. There's more than enough talent in that band already. These guys are so talented that Axl can tell them to come up with an Izzy style song, and they'd be able to do it, even though that wouldn't be a genuine way of doing things.

Have you listened to Izzy's solo stuff? If you want him to help write an album you might as well bring back Slash because you'll just be making blues based rock again in which case it would defeat the purpose of what Axl has tried to do with the band. Axl has moved on from that.

DJ is more of a blues based guy so I figured he'd fit in perfectly with Izzy's style. Who's to say that Axl isn't going back to a more blues based sound? The main guitarists from CD are gone so I'm sure the new album won't be a continuation of that. If it was they would be best to just release what Robin and Buckethead already recorded.

Bucket was great. It's a shame that he didn't work out. He has the magic. Playing and presence were both amazing. They really could have turned new GNR into it's own completely new band, charting completely new territory.

It would be interesting to see what Axl & Izzy could come up with.

Would the magic still be there?

I don't suppose we'll ever know unless they decide to write again together.

I doubt Axl would entertain this idea. He seems to be determined to prove that he can do it by himself. I think he already proved how talented he was with Chinese Democracy. I would imagine that Izzy would bring the album more of a GN'R sound and I believe this would be a good thing!

To write an album? No. To be a guest performer and writer on one or two songs? Hell yes.

(PS: Life Is Beautiful is nowhere near the best song on The Heroin Diaries Soundtrack...)

WTF??? Why the hell don't you want Izzy back? :fuckyou:

Guns N' Roses - Izzy = Guns N' Roses without a heart. Simple as that.

To write an album? No. To be a guest performer and writer on one or two songs? Hell yes.

(PS: Life Is Beautiful is nowhere near the best song on The Heroin Diaries Soundtrack...)

yeah, well, you know; that's just like, your opinion, man.

/lebowski

yeah well bucket has a stainless steel robot heart and thats infinitely better. it wont quit and or rust.

I don´t know if Axl should bring Izzy back... maybe not, because everything has changed (specially both of them) and it wouldn´t be the same anymore. And, yes, it´s true that Izzy´s solo songs have nothing to do with the old Guns´ songs... but his songs still have something that I can´t find in almost no other songwriter.

Nevertheless, if that happened... I´d be happy!! :shrugs:

:thumbsup:

Edited by izzygirl

You talk as if Axl has the power to make that happen, Izzy doesn't want to be in Guns N Roses. Would it be cool? of course, but it isn't going to happen.

I also think that it´s Izzy who doesn´t want to be in Guns.

If Izzy did sort of come back to Guns N Roses I would imagine it would be more as a writer of an album, or at least a song or 2, than a consistant live performer.

I would just worry how the new band would go about things.... there's already a LOT of fucking people involved.

CD suffered as I mentioned in another thread, of not knowing when to leave songs alone and not add more instruments etc....

I mean you have all these people wanting to leave their mark on an album and songs, and showcase their talent that it must be hard to omit them.

So if you start bringing MORE people into the mix it could get messy.

So a WHOLE album might piss the new band off, because they will want to write songs and create something as a band.

The only way Axl and Izzy could work properly is for them to write the songs and make the demos and then quality control how many layers of shit the band members can add.

If Axl's pace and attitude (and patience) allowed for a producer to work on an album properly (i.e. left the fuck alone) then I'd have no problems, but I don't think that will ever happen.

Moved on to what, exactly? He moved on from Slash for other reasons outside of his guitar playing.

He left because Axl put business in the way of friendship. It's possible they'd work together again if Stradlin felt Axl's head was in a better place now where he could work with him. If it was relegated to the studio, had some songs for Axl to check out, or they hung out for a couple of weeks and noodled around? Sure. It's no different than Del writing a song with Axl, a lot of time has gone by, the friendship might not be the same, (it might be

better) but they sound like they worked a lot of old things out.

It doesn't mean he'd use the songs in the end, but I could see them doing something like that.

The original drummer for the Ramones became their producer. Ian Stewart "left" the Stones but still contributed on almost all their albums and wound up playing on the road with them in 1981. Sometimes former band members stay in the band, but not as an "official" band member.

The band members aren't going to feel threatened if he's a part of it. He's more rhythm than lead guitarist, although he does play leads. You can always add a rhythm guitarist and backing vocal in. Slash and Duff are another story.Then you're talking 2 lead guitarists and 2 bassists.

Didn't he co-write a unreleased song called "Down by the Ocean?"

I don't think Izzy will want to write a full album and record with Guns. I think maybe just co-write a song or two for the album.

It would be cool for Izzy to be onstage with Axl again sometime this tour, like during '06 when he was at a few shows.

I don't think Izzy will want to tour and record with a band again, unless a GN'R reunion, becuase you never know with him, he's everywhere, anyplace, anytime. One day he could be in L.A., the next day he could be in London. I think that's why he's not in Velvet Revolver.