Guns N' Roses - o2 Dublin September 1st

no1gooner

God, Axl man....you should have just thrown out the people who were throwing the bottles, not penalized the whole audience.

yea Axl, not only focus on performing but why the fuck cant you pick out a few assholes out of a sea of people.

Are you serious with that comment?

Yes very serious, and considering(as most people know) that I defend Axl to the death and even did so at the Reading incident, this isnt a way to treat a sold out crowd who give YOU money. Rather than stopping for 45 min, why didnt he call security or something? Im not defending the crowd or anything but....come on!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone who went to the show, or has tickets to an upcoming one verify what time is actually printed on the tickets?

That would not be possible givin the fact that 99% of shows never print the headlining bands time on the ticket, therefore how can they ever be late?

The problem is that people look at their ticket and see let's say 8 o'clock on there. They get there at 8. Whether Axl is "late" or not, people are pissed if they have been sitting there for 2 and a half hours without having seen GNR yet.

Maybe it's time to start printing the headlining time on there, because whatever they are doing is not working as everyone outside of a few message board warriors seems to be totally unaware of what time the band is actually going on at these shows which is in part causing the hostile audiences.

I don't know how it's handled in Ireland or in the rest of the world, but on my ticket from Madrid (2006) it clearly says 20:45 opening act and 22:00 Guns n' Roses (some might remember that they then started at 01:30 and people were beginning to throw things (even chairs) on stage).

"I think that the... the problems start when uh.... you start thinking you're different than everybody else on the fuckin planet".

People do asshole-ish things. Gotta roll with it, deal with it like a professional.

the professional thing was the warning. the second professional thing was coming back out. they stop sporting events in america when people throw shit. and they should stop your soccer games, too.

God, Axl man....you should have just thrown out the people who were throwing the bottles, not penalized the whole audience.

yea Axl, not only focus on performing but why the fuck cant you pick out a few assholes out of a sea of people.

Yes very serious, and considering(as most people know) that I defend Axl to the death and even did so at the Reading incident, this isnt a way to treat a sold out crowd who give YOU money. Rather than stopping for 45 min, why didnt he call security or something? Im not defending the crowd or anything but....come on!

Yeah, but do you really think that it's possible even to notice who exactly threw the bottles out of a large crowd? If not, then what is the alternative?

Ali

If someone walks into a bar on a Friday night decked out in Swastikas and Nazi gear, the chances are dramatically higher their will be an incident of some kind than if the same guy went out dressed in jeans and a plain t-shirt all other things being equal.

Same as the chances are dramatically higher that a crowd will be angry and possibly throw piss bottles at the stage when you go on over an hour late than if you started on time.

No one is justifying the bottle throwing, but what some are failing to see is that in both situations of the guy walking into a bar in Nazi gear and going on stage awful late at a concert you are laying the groundwork that create the conditions for a confrontation of some sort that otherwise wouldn't be there if you don't act provocatively.

Is there really anyone here that will argue that, whether it is right to throw bottles or not, that the band doesn't dramatically increase the probability that something like that may happen by coming on when they do?

Could a happy crowd throw bottles? Absolutely. Are the chances higher that it will happen when the crowd is aggitated and hostile because of your behavior, you better damn believe it.

What Axl does on a nightly basis is no different than driving home drunk from the bar. There's a good chance you'll make it home sage and nothing bad happens, but the percentages say there is a dramatically higher probability you will end up getting in an accident or pulled over/arrested than if you drive home sober. There is just no debate about that.

Naupis I get what you're trying to say here but it's not the same, at all. The band was an hour late. They didn't go on past midnight, like they have in the past.

I'm sorry but the bottle throwers here are just looking for excuses. What if they're 15 minutes late? 5 minutes late? Do they have to go on at 9 sharp every night despite no time ever being printed on the ticket??

It's a bad joke. The world wants rock n' roll but wants it on schedule.

When is it ok to resort to this kind of shit? Never.

The only thing that happened tonight was that a bunch of assholes in the crowd decided to ruin it for everyone. There's no time for when GN'R starts on the ticket. People just wanted to bitch and moan over a 60 minute change-over. Wow. I've seen other bands take that long before; so what?

That's not bad behavior by the band. Going on past midnight - yeah I'll put up with it as a fan but I can see why the crowd might be pissed. 60 minutes sharp after the opening act? Shut up, drink a beer and don't throw shit.

"I think that the... the problems start when uh.... you start thinking you're different than everybody else on the fuckin planet".

People do asshole-ish things. Gotta roll with it, deal with it like a professional.

the professional thing was the warning. the second professional thing was coming back out. they stop sporting events in america when people throw shit. and they should stop your soccer games, too.

yea, xcept the team doesnt take the field again and sulk for the rest of the game

Yeah, but do you really think that it's possible even to notice who exactly threw the bottles out of a large crowd? If not, then what is the alternative?

Ali

I dont know, but if that were me up there, I would watch the crowd after the first time. But to be fair to Axl, I do think the G.B. crowds are dicks.

Coming on an hour late is not a big deal. If you are paying a ticket to see Guns N Roses Id assume you are a person who is a fan. I assume you know that its not the old lineup and I also assume you know something about the band. That something being that Axl shows up late. Why buy the ticket if you know those 2 things and cant accept that? noone forces you to buy it.

someone said Axl should have selected the person out of the crowd, that is sometimes easy to do if they are in front row or something harder if further back. Most dont realize the band cant really see very far with the lights on their eyes

Ali

I dont know, but if that were me up there, I would watch the crowd after the first time. But to be fair to Axl, I do think the G.B. crowds are dicks.

This is completely irrelevant but just FYI Ireland isn't in GB :-)

people in the crowd can see

you wouldnt notice a guy standing near you hurling a jug at the stage?

all he has to do is ask the crowd for help

imagine all the asskissers lining up to point to the culprit just to get a thrumbs up from the man himself

Ali

Yeah, but who knows if the lighting would allow for visibility beyond the first couple of rows? You would've had to be there to know that, I guess.

I understand the frustration of the people who were there, but at the same time, recalling what happened to Duff, I don't think it's unreasonable for the Axl and the band to be concerned about their safety.

The thing I don't see many people talking about is what message it sends to continue under those circumstances. You're giving tacit approval to throwing things if you continue on after that. And, who knows what happens after that. Does it stop at plastic bottles? Will other things be thrown? Will someone get hit in the head? Will a liquid be spilled on the stage that will cause someone to slip and fall and hurt themselves? And, won't either of the last two scenarios jeopardize the rest of the tour? Does that make sense, to risk the rest of the tour for one show?

Ali

Ali

Even better - how on earth did those bottles get in?

Venues here, you cannot bring even a plastic bottle in. There are NO bottles of any kind allowed. They don't sell them inside either - it's open plastic cups. If you throw them, they go nowhere.

ust threatening to cancel the show is like daring every drunk asshole to do their worst.

Kind of like threatening to pull the plug on a band if they go over curfew ;)

Axl of all people should no based on how he handles such threats that it will end up hurting the cause more than helping it.

Can someone who went to the show, or has tickets to an upcoming one verify what time is actually printed on the tickets?

That would not be possible givin the fact that 99% of shows never print the headlining bands time on the ticket, therefore how can they ever be late?

The problem is that people look at their ticket and see let's say 8 o'clock on there. They get there at 8. Whether Axl is "late" or not, people are pissed if they have been sitting there for 2 and a half hours without having seen GNR yet.

Maybe it's time to start printing the headlining time on there, because whatever they are doing is not working as everyone outside of a few message board warriors seems to be totally unaware of what time the band is actually going on at these shows which is in part causing the hostile audiences.

All tickets are like this. Not just GN'R. Printing this would likely mean the ticketing company needs to implement it. They wouldn't for just one band. A few places do it, but most won't. It means more work for them - getting the schedule from the band and verifying it. I know that seems trivial but rest assured, people are LAZY.

All tickets are like this. Not just GN'R. Printing this would likely mean the ticketing company needs to implement it. They wouldn't for just one band. A few places do it, but most won't. It means more work for them - getting the schedule from the band and verifying it. I know that seems trivial but rest assured, people are LAZY.

Yeah, that's true. I've seen Queensryche, Slash, Iron Maiden and Aerosmith in the last few months and I didn't see on those tickets, nor do I recall seeing on tickets in the past what the specific start times were for opening and headlining acts.

Naupis, can you name a show for which you've seen start times for both the opening and headlining acts printed on the ticket?

Ali

Yeah, that's true. I've seen Queensryche, Slash, Iron Maiden and Aerosmith in the last few months and I didn't see on those tickets, nor do I recall seeing on tickets in the past what the specific start times were for opening and headlining acts.

Naupis, can you name a show for which you've seen start times for both the opening and headlining acts printed on the ticket?

Ali

I know you asked Naupis, but as I wrote on the last page:

I don't know how it's handled in Ireland or in the rest of the world, but on my ticket from Madrid (2006) it clearly says 20:45 opening act and 22:00 Guns n' Roses (some might remember that they then started at 01:30 and people were beginning to throw things (even chairs) on stage).

;)

Ali

Someone posted earlier in the thread, it got buried, think it was a euro show from 06. A very limited number of areas have it. EDIT: misch beat me to it, was Madrid. It's a rarity though.

Since you saw Maiden, well I did as well - awesome show, but it sort of plays off onto this topic.

When I saw Maiden there was about 30 minutes between them and Dream Theatre. They had no pyro, a cool stage but it was setup beforehand, and used the house video screens and I think mostly the house lights also.

Then you've got GN'R with a massive lighting rid, pyro, and their own screens in some cases (did they have 'em tonight?)

Suddenly, 60 minutes between bands doesn't seem like that big of a deal...

Edited by kyrie

Ali

GNR is the only show in my life, and I have been to alot of them, that the headling act wasn't on stage within an hour and a half (max) of the start time listed on the ticket.

I just looked at my old 06 GNR tour stubs I saved, and they have 7:30 down on the ticket. Even if people show up at like 8, they are still in their seats for usually at least 2 and a half hours which is why the crowds get hostile.

Most bands that list 7:30 on the ticket have an opener that plays for 40 minutes, and they are on stage by 9 at the latest as the stage is usually set up for the main act ahead of time to minimize the change over.

Ali

GNR is the only show in my life, and I have been to alot of them, that the headling act wasn't on stage within an hour and a half (max) of the start time listed on the ticket.

I just looked at my old 06 GNR tour stubs I saved, and they have 7:30 down on the ticket. Even if people show up at like 8, they are still in their seats for usually at least 2 and a half hours which is why the crowds get hostile.

Most bands that list 7:30 on the ticket have an opener that plays for 40 minutes, and they are on stage by 9 at the latest as the stage is usually set up for the main act ahead of time to minimize the change over.

I understand what you're saying that GN'R is definitely the exception, not the rule.

But, that isn't what I asked. What I'm getting at is, "is it the norm for both opening and headlining acts' start times to be listed on the ticket?" I think we can agree the answer is no.

Ali

Ali

You must not have been to many shows. I go to shows all the time--the openers often time go on late. Last year I saw Metallica, and they started about 45 minutes after the opening act, and started around 10:30. Just saw Tool, and they started a good hour after the opening act around 9:45--no big deal. The thing is, those bands don't have 100's of articles making them out to be Public Enemy #1 leading up to the show. GN'R does, and you get a bunch of drunks who think they need to take matters into their own hands, or feel empowered to see what kind of riot they can start. The press has been drumming shit up all week leading up to this, and these drunks were emboldened by them.

Fuck those fuckers, if they end this tour before coming to the US I'm going to be so heated, god damnit.

Also, 10:30? Puh-lease. That is not late.

GnR in Worcester in 06' they went on at 11:46. Greatest show I've ever been to, played till 2:30 about if I remember correctly and played Down On The Farm.

Edited by GunsNRevolvers2