Guns N' Roses - o2 Dublin September 1st

no1gooner

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UMMMMMMMM from what i've read on other forum the bottles were filled with PISS!

I dont think anyone would stay under those circumstances.

Remember the Illusion tour? Scaramento 1993. Duff got hit by a bottle of piss and got knocked out - the band was forced to cancel the rest of the show. Granted, Axl and Slash asked the audience to leave in peace and thanked them.

Again, just further shows that throwing anything can be dangerous. There's no need for it. As I mentioned earlier, I saw Guns in January. They came on at 10:30 (same time as here), and nobody was throwing anything. Yes, I blame Axl for being late, but no, I don't blame the lateness for the bottle throwing. There's ZERO excuse for that. The booing is understandable.

Axl showed up pretty late- very late really. A lot of people were getting angry at that as they had children with them and/or

they had their cars in car parks where they would have to spend a lot of money if their car was still their after 12.

Security at the 02 said that Axl was scheduled to come on at 9 and to finish at 11.15.

Crowd was getting pretty fidgety and angry around ten (though started doing mexican waves which were fun). However

when guns came on they pretty much won most people over.

Axl was very angry from the start and threw something at one of his roadies. He stormed off during chinese democracy.

The bottles that were thrown at Axl were actually plastic. I have to at least blame the late start for the bottle throwing.

People were getting drunker the longer they were waiting.

People were very confused about the walkoff, and whether or not he was gong to come back. Security did not

know what was happening and were telling people whatever they needed to here to keep them calm. So if someone

said should we leave, security would say yes just to keep things under control. At one point we were told by security to leave the place,

but security were very confused themselves.

When Axl came back on he was needlessly angry. A lot of people had left by this time but the ones that remained I think wanted

him to put on a good show, and were willing him to do well. However he ignored any goodwill from audience and

just stood there throughout all the songs. The rest of the band were trying to encourage him by touching him etc.

but he just ignored everything.

The band was VERY good. They put lots of energy into the show (they're all very charismatic) to compensate for the negative energy and apathy

coming from Axl. In fact from what we could see people actually seemed to be happiest when Axl was off stage and the rest of the

band were playing without him. The solos got very good responses and people seemed to like the musicianship. It was difficult

to get into things when Axl was on stage since he obviously did not want to be there.

From what I could see Axl is the weak link in Guns. The rest of the band would be able to start a great band without him. And that' speaking

as a big Axl fan.

None of this would have happened if he had not made an ultimatum to an increasingly angry and drunk audience. Someone was bound to

break it. He should have just said can you please stop throwing things, thanks, or tried to pick out the person who was throwing things.

It was not good to punish whole crowd for one drunken guy's mistake. He squandered all the good will that he had even up to half ten,

when he came on late.

Great review, you described it perfectly. Most of the fans stayed and were more than willing to give Axl and the band a chance. The crowd loved the band and would've loved Axl too if he had put in the effort. Horrible night, I'm really disappointed about the whole thing

Guys ive posted here for a ling time....been part of the forum since around 2006 and i have to say ive seen GNR about 8 times in its current carnation and even went to germany in 2001 for rock am ring when they cancelled,but tonight i have to say it was like my guts were ripped outta me! I defended axl to the death over the last few years,but tonight he threw a hissy fit fair enough he came on late i expected that fair enough one ass hole threw a plastic bottle on stage but jesus fucking christ he left the stage for a good 45,mins came back out the band were fucking awesome but axl stood in the middle of the stage int he same clothes he started in singing like he wanted to just go home i paid 158 quid for myself and the wife to see my IDOL in form and he stood there like a spoilt brat going thru the motions while the fans sung their hearts out even BETTER got a great reception but at one point he was leaning against tommys bass amp singing sweet child...

Tonight i seen an amzing band having fun and a frontma that was once my hero acting like a spoilt brat!....flame me if you like but unless you where there i dont think you can understand the shit that went on tonight

Edited by smelltheglove

it's easy to read about the lateness on a forum instead of actually being at the venue waiting, i remember seeing him in Oakland in 2006, it was a great show but the band came on stage at 12:30am!! i was so fuckin tired and had to work the next day, by the time it was almost over it was 2am and people were tired

Perhaps he wasn't moving and staying far back on the stage so he wasn't going to get hit with anything else? Nobody ever takes these things into consideration. You're lucky he came back at all. There was a warning. If it happened twice, he should have left for good.

Axl isn't the only musician who would leave a concert if something like that happened.

Here is a thought: At Reading, the promoter warned Axl that lateness would result in the show being ended prematurely. Axl and the band tempted fate and the plug was pulled. Here, Axl warned the audience that any more bottles being thrown would end the show. A bottle was thrown and the show was stopped. Fate was tempted, and the whole audience payed for it as Axl forewarned.

Ali

Axl showed up pretty late- very late really. A lot of people were getting angry at that as they had children with them and/or

they had their cars in car parks where they would have to spend a lot of money if their car was still their after 12.

Security at the 02 said that Axl was scheduled to come on at 9 and to finish at 11.15.

Crowd was getting pretty fidgety and angry around ten (though started doing mexican waves which were fun). However

when guns came on they pretty much won most people over.

Axl was very angry from the start and threw something at one of his roadies. He stormed off during chinese democracy.

The bottles that were thrown at Axl were actually plastic. I have to at least blame the late start for the bottle throwing.

People were getting drunker the longer they were waiting.

People were very confused about the walkoff, and whether or not he was gong to come back. Security did not

know what was happening and were telling people whatever they needed to here to keep them calm. So if someone

said should we leave, security would say yes just to keep things under control. At one point we were told by security to leave the place,

but security were very confused themselves.

When Axl came back on he was needlessly angry. A lot of people had left by this time but the ones that remained I think wanted

him to put on a good show, and were willing him to do well. However he ignored any goodwill from audience and

just stood there throughout all the songs. The rest of the band were trying to encourage him by touching him etc.

but he just ignored everything.

The band was VERY good. They put lots of energy into the show (they're all very charismatic) to compensate for the negative energy and apathy

coming from Axl. In fact from what we could see people actually seemed to be happiest when Axl was off stage and the rest of the

band were playing without him. The solos got very good responses and people seemed to like the musicianship. It was difficult

to get into things when Axl was on stage since he obviously did not want to be there.

From what I could see Axl is the weak link in Guns. The rest of the band would be able to start a great band without him. And that' speaking

as a big Axl fan.

None of this would have happened if he had not made an ultimatum to an increasingly angry and drunk audience. Someone was bound to

break it. He should have just said can you please stop throwing things, thanks, or tried to pick out the person who was throwing things.

It was not good to punish whole crowd for one drunken guy's mistake. He squandered all the good will that he had even up to half ten,

when he came on late.

Security said? Really?

So some limp-dick rent-a-cop now dictates when bands go on stage?

Sorry but I wouldn't put much faith in that.

Question: What time did Danko finish? Unless it was 8:15 there's no way GN'R was gonna be on-stage by 9.

Guys ive posted here for a ling time....been part of the forum since around 2006 and i have to say ive seen GNR about 8 times in its current carnation and even went to germany in 2001 for rock am ring when they cancelled,but tonight i have to say it was like my guts were ripped outta me! I defended axl to the death over the last few years,but tonight he threw a hissy fit fair enough he came on late i expected that fair enough one ass hole threw a plastic bottle on stage but jesus fucking christ he left the stage for a good 45,mins came back out the band were fucking awesome but axl stood in the middle of the stage int he same clothes he started in singing like he wanted to just go home i paid 158 quid for myself and the wife to see my IDOL in form and he stood there like a spoilt brat going thru the motions while the fans sung their hearts out even BETTER got a great reception but at one point he was leaning against tommys bass amp singing sweet child...

Tonight i seen an amzing band having fun and a frontma that was once my hero acting like a spoilt brat!....flame me if you like but unless you where there i dont think you can understand the shit that went on tonight

Agreed, I was gutted too. Seeing my favourite rock singer act like a child after I paid good money to see him, really disapointing

I'm impressed. Looks like a killer show/set despite the intial problems with bottle throwing. Also sounds like most of the crowd came back and had a blast at the rest of the show. I give major credit for Axl for not doing like his old ways and just leaving. They came back and delivered the full show that fans came to see.

Of course, the media is only going to pick up on the negative things.

are they? or are the obsessive fans on the internet only going to pick up on the positive things?

so far, the tour was cancelled via twitter and rescheduled, reading got aborted, leeds was cancelled by axl from the sage and rescheduled, this last show started late too, then ended early because pissed off fans were throwing shit at axl. i mean, if all these things happened in a row at a lady gaga concert, everyone around here would be making fun of her for being an incompetent twit.

for instance, to a non-gnr obsessive, those recent youtube links sound like axl's out of breath and out of tune. but internet obsessives will say, "yeah, but his passion is incredible!" and they're right too. axl's passion is incredible.

michael jackson fanboards are full of people who still think he didn't rape any kids. they focus on the positive. because they're fans.

The show was not ended early. The show was delayed, yes, but completed. And, while Axl's pitch hasn't been perfect from what I've heard from these recent shows (via YouTube), he hasn't been consistently out of tune like you make it out to be.

As much as fans focus on the positive aspects, haters focus on the negative aspects. It goes both ways.

Ali

you'll have to forgive me. i haven't been able to dedicate enough time to watching every youtube video shot so far on this tour. i've clicked on a few that people were raving about, and i wasn't exactly bowled over. but it's nice to hear that he sounds better on some other songs.

but to me, this debate seems like another example of you, an obsessive internet fan, trying to focus on the positive. while it's awesome to think that axl can still sing some songs well at a show, you may be surprised to know that many other singers (especially those on axl's level) can perform an entire concert on pitch, in tune and without running out of breath. and if they couldn't, they'd practice, diet and exercise until they could.

again, if lady gaga sang that poorly on that many songs a night, i doubt the fans around here would be trying to hard to focus on the positive.

Eddie Vedder is a great example of a singer who is very consistent. I have over a dozen boots from Pearl Jam's 2010 European tour, and Eddie is almost always in tune, in pitch, and connects with the crowd in a very special way

I saw Pearl Jam live and was blown away. That said, Pearl Jam vocals aren't exactly as trying as GN'R, and Eddie just sort of stands around/wanders around - he wasn't nearly as active as Axl when I saw them. Great singer, great band, but apples and oranges.

"Nobody owes you

Not one god damn thing

You know where to put your

Just shut up and sing"

If you pay 70$, he owes you at least a good show...

Which the crowd would have got - if it weren't for lame-ass security and a bunch of fuckwits throwing things. You throw things at a GNR concert and you know what is going to happen, simple as. It would be cool if Axl were more diplomatic about these things, but he isn't. People need to get used to it and stop whining.

You could have rose-tinted glasses on (look, a pun!) and say that at least he came back on, unlike Morrissey.

Some effort wouldn't have been too much trouble though.

All in all, they've no real defence for this one. Dicks throwing bottles take some blame, but it doesn't sound like these issues couldn't have been sorted out for the good of the fans.

Edited by axldavies

I remember reading about a show on the Illusion tour where the situation was kind of opposite to this. It was in Brazil I think, near the end of 1992. It said that Slash and the band just kind of stood in the middle while Axl ran around. It even said that Axl barely changed his clothes at all during the show. This was on the old GNR On Tour website (not sure if it's still around or not). If only the internet was around back then. It'd be interesting to see the reactions in the same way we can see them today on this forum for example.

The site is still around.

Found it:

A very 'nervous' show. Axl supposedly came to the Autodromo just five minutes before the show started and left right after the show ended. Axl didn't change his clothes during the show, he started the show with a white t-shirt and ended with the same. Slash, Gilby and Duff stayed around the drum kit during the show, just Axl was running around. Apparently the band was not having a good time because the show ended with 'Knockin' On Heaven's Door,' not the customary 'Paradise City' encore.

It was the last show of 1992 .It says there is a video recording. It would be interesting it.

it's easy to read about the lateness on a forum instead of actually being at the venue waiting, i remember seeing him in Oakland in 2006, it was a great show but the band came on stage at 12:30am!! i was so fuckin tired and had to work the next day, by the time it was almost over it was 2am and people were tired

Haha, I remember that. That was a good show, with Lars coming out during Out Ta Get Me and Axl talking about the Raiders. I think they hit the stage at 12:45, it was sometime ridiculous like that.

"Nobody owes you

Not one god damn thing

You know where to put your

Just shut up and sing"

If you pay 70$, he owes you at least a good show...

Which the crowd would have got - if it weren't for lame-ass security and a bunch of fuckwits throwing things. You throw things at a GNR concert and you know what is going to happen, simple as. It would be cool if Axl were more diplomatic about these things, but he isn't. People need to get used to it and stop whining.

You turn up ridiculously late to perform and you're gonna get an angry crowd, simple as

Seeing my favourite rock singer act like a child after I paid good money to see him, really disapointing

The sad part is that instead of looking at the situation and seeing that it is his actions that create the hostile environment that would get people to a point their willing to throw bottles in frustration, he instead sees these situations as a chance to make himself feel like more and more of a victim.