Guns N' Roses - o2 Dublin September 1st

no1gooner

Axl showed up pretty late- very late really. A lot of people were getting angry at that as they had children with them and/or

they had their cars in car parks where they would have to spend a lot of money if their car was still their after 12.

Security at the 02 said that Axl was scheduled to come on at 9 and to finish at 11.15.

Crowd was getting pretty fidgety and angry around ten (though started doing mexican waves which were fun). However

when guns came on they pretty much won most people over.

Axl was very angry from the start and threw something at one of his roadies. He stormed off during chinese democracy.

The bottles that were thrown at Axl were actually plastic. I have to at least blame the late start for the bottle throwing.

People were getting drunker the longer they were waiting.

People were very confused about the walkoff, and whether or not he was gong to come back. Security did not

know what was happening and were telling people whatever they needed to here to keep them calm. So if someone

said should we leave, security would say yes just to keep things under control. At one point we were told by security to leave the place,

but security were very confused themselves.

When Axl came back on he was needlessly angry. A lot of people had left by this time but the ones that remained I think wanted

him to put on a good show, and were willing him to do well. However he ignored any goodwill from audience and

just stood there throughout all the songs. The rest of the band were trying to encourage him by touching him etc.

but he just ignored everything.

The band was VERY good. They put lots of energy into the show (they're all very charismatic) to compensate for the negative energy and apathy

coming from Axl. In fact from what we could see people actually seemed to be happiest when Axl was off stage and the rest of the

band were playing without him. The solos got very good responses and people seemed to like the musicianship. It was difficult

to get into things when Axl was on stage since he obviously did not want to be there.

From what I could see Axl is the weak link in Guns. The rest of the band would be able to start a great band without him. And that' speaking

as a big Axl fan.

None of this would have happened if he had not made an ultimatum to an increasingly angry and drunk audience. Someone was bound to

break it. He should have just said can you please stop throwing things, thanks, or tried to pick out the person who was throwing things.

It was not good to punish whole crowd for one drunken guy's mistake. He squandered all the good will that he had even up to half ten,

when he came on late.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rest of the band are probably pissed because they know that there would be ZERO bottles flying at the stage if their employer would get his ass on stage on time.

It seems like the easiest solution ever. Come on stage on time, and no one throws bottles. It's not rocket science, and the guys know that. Axl signs the checks though, so they will continue to be subject to the hostile work environment Axl creates for them because he is selfish.

If certain people want to throw shit it very much sucks for the thousands that want to hear the music. What can a band do? To stay is dangerous and to leave is not good for the thousands that are not doing this thing. I would fucking leave too. I very much doubt and band member including Ron would condone throwing shit at the band or the crew, you guys are digging to hard to find a reason for him to leave. No one can tell me anyone in the band would like a bottle to the head. Some say Axl is an asshole and they hear this and say see there he is again being an asshole, I don't think so at all, he is doing what is right, stop throwing shit at the band, any band if you don't like something leave it's simple. Also security should be doing a better job in some places, I see vast differences in security around the world.

This is not an "Axl" issue or anything like that he is doing what is best for everyone's safety. As far as ron being "pissed off" stop diggin, he aint mad at Axl at all, I would think he would be disappointed at the thoughtless yahoos in the crowd...

Axl showed up pretty late- very late really. A lot of people were getting angry at that as they had children with them and/or

they had their cars in car parks where they would have to spend a lot of money if their car was still their after 12.

Security at the 02 said that Axl was scheduled to come on at 9 and to finish at 11.15.

Crowd was getting pretty fidgety and angry around ten (though started doing mexican waves which were fun). However

Axl was very angry from the start and threw something at one of his roadies. He stormed off during chinese democracy.

The bottles that were thrown at Axl were actually plastic. I have to at least blame the late start for the bottle throwing.

People were very confused about the walkoff, and whether or not he was gong to come back. Security did not

know what was happening and were telling people whatever they needed to here to keep them calm. So if someone

said should we leave, security would say yes just to keep things under control. At one point we were told by security to leave the place,

When Axl came back on he was needlessly angry. A lot of people had left by this time but the ones that remained I think wanted

him to put on a good show, and were willing him to do well. However he ignored any goodwill from audience and

just stood there throughout all the songs. The rest of the band were trying to encourage him by touching him etc.

The band was VERY good. They put lots of energy into the show (they're all very charismatic) to compensate for the negative energy and apathy

coming from Axl. In fact from what we could see people actually seemed to be happiest when Axl was off stage and the rest of the

band were playing without him. The solos got very good responses and people seemed to like the musicianship. It was difficult

to get into things when Axl was on stage since he obviously did not want to be there.

From what I could see Axl is the weak link in Guns. The rest of the band would be able to start a great band without him. And that' speaking

as a big Axl fan.

None of this would have happened if he had not made an ultimatum to an increasingly angry and drunk audience. Someone was bound to

break it. He should have just said can you please stop throwing things, thanks, or tried to pick out the person who was throwing things.

It was not good to punish whole crowd for one drunken guy's mistake. He squandered all the good will that he had even up to half ten,

when he came on late.

as a big Axl fan.

LOL. See Velvet Revolver. Those guys with Axl=best ever. Without Axl=not so much.

Just home from gig now!

got there about 6:30 then Ashba came out and got some pics with the crowd!!

Bumblefoot came on the side of the stage at about 10:10! Just shaking his head tapping his watch and shrugging his shoulders.

GNR came on about 10:30 playing there usual set!

Just before Axl started singing the verse of WTTJ he stopped the band saying "If you guys wanna throw bottles, We're gonna go home".

They started the verse again and finished the song!

Then At the end of sorry or It's so easy Axl stopped again saying "I told you we would go home! Good night!"

Band left the stage, band looked fuckin pissed at Axl!

20 mins later person came out explaining that is very hard to get Axl back on stage!

Loads of people left

Band came back on with Live and Let Die after about an 45-60 min break!

Band Started playing great again (but Axl).

Axl stood in the middle of the stage singing. Then during solo's he'd walk to the side and lean against the higher stage!

No energy in him after he came back on!

Very dissapointing when he wasnt "jumping around".

But Fair Play to the rest of the band.

No offense, but I have a hard time believing that the band was pissed at Axl for stopping the show because of things being thrown at them. Tommy has expressed his disdain for this type of behavior from certain fans in the past and I doubt any member wants to be a target for someone looking to play target practice.

Ali

Wasn't saying they were!

But the band looked fucking pissed (especially Ron)!!!

No offense, but you kinda did say they were pissed at Axl. I'm sure they were pissed off at what was happening. Not necessarily AT Axl.

Ali

And so it begins (again)

"Appetite For Disaster: Guns N' Roses Walk Off At O2 Gig"

http://entertainment.ie/music/news/Appetite-For-Disaster-Guns-N%27-Roses-Walk-Off-At-O2-Gig/49782.htm

Oh, god! Really only 2 lines about them coming back on! Really. And "a small, but irate crowd," as what I heard, the crowd was pretty packed and having fun the rest of the show after GN'R came back on.

Just another journalist making up something they read from the internet and made it full blown negative. Where the positive is much more to talk about than the negative.

Negative: They got bottled and they left (which anyone would do, even that idiot journalist).

Positive: They come back and play the rest of the concert, which has probably never happened ever with GN'R.

Oh and one comment was "I left and the still played." It's your fault for leaving in the first place. Don't blame Guns, blame the fuckin' douchebags who were throwing bottles at the band.

Just as I suspected, but unfortunately my earlier post was somehow twisted around and related to Michael Jackson.

There are TONS of negatives to this whole situation. Yes, the band did leave.Yes, it was Axl's fault for the lateness (which, in my opinion, an hour is nothing to wait between bands). I would never disagree with the fact that Axl brings a lot of this on himself.

However, the main positive is that yes, they ultimately came back. No riot, they played the rest of the show. Looking at the setlist, it doesn't look like they cut it short either.

Also, I don't care if the band is one hour late or ten hours late, you don't throw glass bottles at the stage. That's stupidity. Anybody in that situation has a right to be pissed.

Quick edit: By anybody, I mean both the band (who are in danger of being injured) and the fans (who are at risk of losing out on a show).

Balanced arguments and assumptions can be made about these last few shows, and about Guns N' Roses in general. There's two sides to every coin. Unfortunately the media can only see the negative side. They should write about BOTH.

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but FYI, apparently it was plastic bottles.

Edited by axl8302

The rest of the band are probably pissed because they know that there would be ZERO bottles flying at the stage if their employer would get his ass on stage on time.

It seems like the easiest solution ever. Come on stage on time, and no one throws bottles. It's not rocket science, and the guys know that. Axl signs the checks though, so they will continue to be subject to the hostile work environment Axl creates for them because he is selfish.

100% correct. And they ar eall chicket shit to say a word to him.

Nice to hear the truth and an overall outlook on the situation. Hearing that they were plastic bottles is certainly better then glass, but regardless, I don't believe in throwing anything of that sort at the act you paid to see and risking ruining the show for others.

Regardless, I'm glad the band was able to compensate for Axl.

I remember reading about a show on the Illusion tour where the situation was kind of opposite to this. It was in Brazil I think, near the end of 1992. It said that Slash and the band just kind of stood in the middle while Axl ran around. It even said that Axl barely changed his clothes at all during the show. This was on the old GNR On Tour website (not sure if it's still around or not). If only the internet was around back then. It'd be interesting to see the reactions in the same way we can see them today on this forum for example.

when he came on late.

ok then thank you stop blaming Axl as it was clearly a security issue... it is not Axl's responsibility to pick people out

He did the exact same things he was doing now with the old band. This band actually managed to get him back up on stage.

He sounded great on Paradise City even though he wasn't moving around.

as a big Axl fan.

when he came on late.

as a big Axl fan.

LOL. See Velvet Revolver. Those guys with Axl=best ever. Without Axl=not so much.

Dave Kushner and Matt Sorum? Aye right.... :rolleyes:

Unfortunately the media can only see the negative side.

There would be no negative if Axl comes on stage on time. No bottle throwing, no organizers pulling the plug. No negativity or booing fans.

Everyone but a handful of internet warriors on these forums understand that. If you want to come on stage at 10:30, print it on the ticket so everyone knows and can plan accordingly.

Otherwise, Axl needs to stop feeling sorry for himself that he can't make it through a show without an incident because it is he and he alone that is responsible for everything that happens as a result of his refusal to go on at a reasonable time.

I am sure if it was up to Frank/Bumble/DJ/Tommy/Dizzy/Richard and Mother Goose none of these problems would have ever happened because they would not create the conditions for them to happen in the first place by going on late. They are paid well so they deal with it, but it must be frustrating to know how much more positive things could be if they had the power to implement the solution a first grader could understand and just go on stage on time.

And so it begins (again)

http://entertainment.ie/music/news/Appetite-For-Disaster-Guns-N%27-Roses-Walk-Off-At-O2-Gig/49782.htm

Oh, god! Really only 2 lines about them coming back on! Really. And "a small, but irate crowd," as what I heard, the crowd was pretty packed and having fun the rest of the show after GN'R came back on.

Just another journalist making up something they read from the internet and made it full blown negative. Where the positive is much more to talk about than the negative.

Negative: They got bottled and they left (which anyone would do, even that idiot journalist).

Positive: They come back and play the rest of the concert, which has probably never happened ever with GN'R.

Oh and one comment was "I left and the still played." It's your fault for leaving in the first place. Don't blame Guns, blame the fuckin' douchebags who were throwing bottles at the band.

Just as I suspected, but unfortunately my earlier post was somehow twisted around and related to Michael Jackson.

There are TONS of negatives to this whole situation. Yes, the band did leave.Yes, it was Axl's fault for the lateness (which, in my opinion, an hour is nothing to wait between bands). I would never disagree with the fact that Axl brings a lot of this on himself.

However, the main positive is that yes, they ultimately came back. No riot, they played the rest of the show. Looking at the setlist, it doesn't look like they cut it short either.

Also, I don't care if the band is one hour late or ten hours late, you don't throw glass bottles at the stage. That's stupidity. Anybody in that situation has a right to be pissed.

Quick edit: By anybody, I mean both the band (who are in danger of being injured) and the fans (who are at risk of losing out on a show).

Balanced arguments and assumptions can be made about these last few shows, and about Guns N' Roses in general. There's two sides to every coin. Unfortunately the media can only see the negative side. They should write about BOTH.

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but FYI, apparently it was plastic bottles.

Just read that in the other read. My mistake, I was getting the impression from some of the posts that it was indeed glass bottles.

Regardless, stuff like that should NOT be thrown, for the sake of all the fans who are there to see the show.

He did the exact same things he was doing now with the old band. This band actually managed to get him back up on stage.

Yeah, and the old band is history. I'm waiting for a current dude(s) to let him have it say now. Not 'talk him back on stage' while 10000 people are in an arena. I'm talking on an off day give him the ultimatum. Act like a team/band. ANd do it publicly.

Haven't posted here in a loooong time. Just back from the gig, what a disgrace. I understand Axl being pissed off that a couple of people threw bottles but what does he expect when he made us wait over an hour after the (good but incredibly dragged out) support act finished. The bad reaction he got was well deserved. When the band returned after Axl's little hissy fit Axl just phoned it in. The voice was great but he just stood there, singing with a look of boredom for the rest of the show, like a child who had been forced to do something they didn't want to do. I didn't spend €240 on tickets for my brother, his girlfriend and me to watch Axl throw a strop. Great band when I saw them in '06 and they could've so easily been great again tonight but I'll never spend a cent on tickets to see this band again.

There would be no negative if Axl comes on stage on time. No bottle throwing, no organizers pulling the plug. No negativity or booing fans.

Everyone but a handful of internet warriors on these forums understand that. If you want to come on stage at 10:30, print it on the ticket so everyone knows and can plan accordingly.

Otherwise, Axl needs to stop feeling sorry for himself that he can't make it through a show without an incident because it is he and he alone that is responsible for everything that happens as a result of his refusal to go on at a reasonable time.

I am sure if it was up to Frank/Bumble/DJ/Tommy/Dizzy/Richard and Mother Goose none of these problems would have ever happened because they would not create the conditions for them to happen in the first place by going on late. They are paid well so they deal with it, but it must be frustrating to know how much more positive things could be if they had the power to implement the solution a first grader could understand and just go on stage on time.

How do you explain bottles and shit being thrown on stage when bands show up on time then? I can tell you how. It's a rock show, with a lot of drunk people. Things like this are bound to happen, and it has very little to do with them showing up late. They played 100's of shows were they come on late, and people aren't throwing things on stage. I've been to plenty of shows where the band is on time, and get things thrown at them. It's just the nature of the beast.

Your argument is ruined when you say Axl is responsible for "everything" that happens afterwards. Bullshit. The people who threw bottles are responsible for their decision to throw bottles. To suggest otherwise is absurd.

Ali

Yeah, and the old band is history. I'm waiting for a current dude(s) to let him have it say now. Not 'talk him back on stage' while 10000 people are in an arena. I'm talking on an off day give him the ultimatum. Act like a team/band. ANd do it publicly.

This is the best paying job just about all of these guys have had, and they know Axl would have zero problem firing them and hiring another backing band. I don't blame them for not calling him out. If I had a family to take care of, I would do the same thing they are and just deal with it as they know they can't make nearly the same living elsewhere.

It is unreasonable to expect them to jeopardize their livelihood to confront a guy they know would can them in a second if they fell out of line.

And so it begins (again)

Just read that in the other read. My mistake, I was getting the impression from some of the posts that it was indeed glass bottles.

Regardless, stuff like that should NOT be thrown, for the sake of all the fans who are there to see the show.

I 100% agree with you.

as a big Axl fan.

when he came on late.

as a big Axl fan.

Dave Kushner and Matt Sorum? Aye right.... :rolleyes:

You know who I mean....