Musicians That You Believe Never Reached Their Potential

Guest Len B'stard

Guest Len B'stard

The Stone Roses - should've been The Beatles

Lauryn Hill - she can rap, she can sing, she's the black female Axl Rose though apparently

PiL - Public Image Limited, original line up, Lydon, Levene, Wobble, Atkins...where the fuck does a band go after Metal Box? They were involved in making lots of The Flowers of Romance too i believe..

Guns n Roses - Axl, Slash, Izzy, Adler, Duff...i ain't sayin nothin :lol:

Joy Division - Closer and Unknown Pleasures were pretty similar, where would they've gone though?

Jimi Hendrix - no explanation required

The original Blind Melon, Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran, John Lennon

name some..

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Runaways-They had something that was about to burst I tell ya.

Nirvana-I dont think Kurt ever got to do something he wanted.

Velvet Revolver-What Slash and Matt have said about Scott just dont add up(He led the entire Libretad failure). His solo album and the new STP album are brilliant. I think they and Scott could have had something great.

Stone Temple Pilots. They released Tiny Music, which was going in a pretty great direction, but then they broke up and later came back with No. 4. Then, they put out Shangri-La Dee Da, which was picking up where Tiny Music left off in a way, then they broke up again and came back with the self-titled record. Both times they broke up, they did it at times when they were just starting to expand their sound and move away from the more commercial stuff they were doing. I think they could've been so much more, if it just wasn't for Scott's drug problems.

Stone Temple Pilots. They released Tiny Music, which was going in a pretty great direction, but then they broke up and later came back with No. 4. Then, they put out Shangri-La Dee Da, which was picking up where Tiny Music left off in a way, then they broke up again and came back with the self-titled record. Both times they broke up, they did it at times when they were just starting to expand their sound and move away from the more commercial stuff they were doing. I think they could've been so much more, if it just wasn't for Scott's drug problems.

I agree. 4 was a really really good album and Shangri La.....was at the very least B+.

Also, I'm going to say Bush. Before everyone on the forum laughs at me; buy Science of Things and Golden State.

Science of Things is Achtung Baby for the punk crowd, and it's really really good; and Golden State is Nevermind for those who didn't like not being able to understand the words, on that Nirvana album.

Two really good albums.

I know people probaly think Gavin Rossdale is a phony, but I think otherwise. I wouldn't be suprised if he helped his wife, Gwen Stefani, write some of those songs on her past couple of hit albums.

Dude is a great songwriter. 'Specially is you like pop/rock songs withchoruses that stay in your head for a week.

I have seen a few people mention The Beatles. I do not really know much about the years surrounding their break-up. What exactly were they going to do had they stayed together? Or is it just the assumption that they were so magic they would have done more incredible stuff too?

Absolutely agree with Hendrix. The more you read from those around the guy (who admittedly are going to have very high praise) say that musically he was just out of this world, which we obviously know, but that he just had ridiculous ideas of what he could do with music. Wasn't he going to do a record with Miles Davis at some point?

Edited by JAC185

The Beatles released not less than 7 masterpieces in only 5 years (A Hard Day’s Night, Help!, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, The Beatles, Abbey Road), if they didn't reach their potential who else did? Actually they reached their potential with the White Album. You can clearly see and hear that they had nothing more to say, write or add after that, though Abbey Road and Let it Be were of course still great records, but they weren't as groundbreaking as their previous records were. Unlike other bands, they disbanded exactley at the right time...

btt: The first band that comes to my mind are The Stone Roses...

I agree on GNR and 2Pac. GNR is self-explanatory and with 2Pac... Come on, I'd wish he wouldn't have gotten so caught up in this whole East vs West bullshit. He was so much more than just that dude with that gangsta image.

Also, as much as I don't like NIrvana anymore or R.E.M., I'd love to see what Kurt would've come up with regarding that solo album he allegedly wanted to do with Michael Stipe. I think that could've been interesting.

I know people probaly think Gavin Rossdale is a phony, but I think otherwise. I wouldn't be suprised if he helped his wife, Gwen Stefani, write some of those songs on her past couple of hit albums.

Dude is a great songwriter. 'Specially is you like pop/rock songs with choruses that stay in your head for a week.

His song on the new Apocalyptica album is pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHXPPsQQRpI&feature=player_embedded

Scott Weiland still hasn't, never quite did, though he's come close.

Nas peaked early with Illmatic and has had flashed of genius since but I'd love another really solid album on par.

The Stone Roses - should've been The Beatles

I think the whole one-great-album thing kinda worked for them, though.

I don't think they would have lived up to it if they'd continued. Didn't NME rate it as the best-ever?

Edited by Estranged Reality