Favourite Songs In Another Language

Graeme

Just wondering how many people here have appreciation for songs not necessarily written in their first language, obviously a lot the bulk of most pop-rock material is written in English, so many folk from non-English speaking countries will have to adapt to that, but I know lots of folk over here who're big into East Asian pop music, where it's not necessarily the words but the music and the way they're sung that catch attention.

So, list your favourite songs in strange and unusual tongues (this topic will probably bomb :P)

I'll start:

Cnoc Na Feille

Gun Dragh Gun T'chuir An T-Eagal Oirnn, Solus Cnoc Na Feille.

Bha Feadhainn An A Chunnaic e 'S Cach Ag Innse Nam Briagan,

Ach Muinntir An Da Shealladh Chitheadh Iadsan Co-Dhiu E

Tha Lach Is Gead Is Curracag Nan Caraidean Air A Mhachaire

Tha Feannaig Air A Crochadh Suas Ceangailte Na Ropa

Tha Coineanach Sa Ghainmeach, Na Sheasamh Abair Urchaire

Hoginn oro horo illean, horo eile

Probably one of my favourite songs ever, it's written in Scottish Gaelic and it scared the shit out of me as a child, it kinda invokes how eerie parts of the islands can be, it's just full of menace.

it loses something when translated into English though, just because the Gaelic vernacular makes it very roundabout.

It is without doubt it frightened us, the light on the hill at the market stance

There were those that could see it, others liked to think they could

Those with the second sight had no difficulty

The duck, the goose and the lapwing are together sharing the moorland

A dead crow is tied to a fence, hanging by a length of rope

A rabbit plays among the dunes, presenting himself a perfect target

Nothing explicitly that frightening is referred to, but the allusions that something is not right, and that "perfect target" line are just creepy as fuck.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Not counting English, I'd say that... Well. I don't know. I'll try to find something.

Edit: I can't think of anything. My first thought was to find something in Norwegian, but Norwegian sounds really goofy when it's sang. I think every other language sounds disgusting, so I can't really come up with anything. :shrugs:

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

Antonio Banderas y Los Lobos - Cancion del Mariachi

Desperado, awesome shit.

^True

Speaking of that, have you heard the album Tarantism by Tito & Tarantula? It's got a couple of songs on the Desperado soundtrack and another in From Dusk Till Dawn (the song from the snake dance scene; the band from the movie is the actual band) It's a really nice album :thumbsup:

Guest Len B'stard

Oh tons, pretty much all of what Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan has done, Reggae is all in Jamaican patois so thats the majority of an entire genre there in a foreign language or whatever, it ain't English put it that way. I quite like Mario Lanza...Mzikayifani Buthelezi is South African, i like his shit, what little i've heard, lots of Reggaeton i'm into, The Lumba Brothers of Ghana i quite like...don't understand a fucking word of it mostly but rhythm is a universal language i guess.

But yeah, as a general thing, anyone who listens to reggae is listening to something that is at least half another language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0_GV0P7o9E&feature=related hows that for passion? GWAN BWOY!! :lol: Whatever he's sayin at at 4:45 he fuckin means that shit :)

Edited by sugaraylen