MSNBC: "Axl Rose pulls plug on Guns 'N' Roses tour" UPDATED

sphere79

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crap media is already at it:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/38723387/ns/today-entertainment/

Just noticed that they just pulled the story from a "blog". That's some crack journalism there MSNBC......

Something posted on their twitter account, facebook or website would surely quell this garbage.

You know, at times i question axl's interpretation of the media about him, but you read this and you realize WHY he hates the media. They just cant wait for the opportunity to crucify him

I responded and I never do that. It's lengthy but I was providing an education to the people who've made the uninformed cheap-shot comments.

"Axl Rose was and still is one of the most-talented rock frontmen of all-time. I've followed his career since the late-80's and have been fortunate to see him perform 9 times since 2006, several years since many of you saw him give a week performance on the 2002 MTV Music Awards, which seemed to cement many people's image of what Axl Rose supposedly is now. They take the typical cheap shots - botox, braids, fat, can't sing, etc but often times, those who make such criticisms have not heard his new material, nor have they seen him perform live since. I find this quite irritating.

I've seen Axl perform as recently as January and February when I flew to Canada to be a part of 4 packed-house arena appearances. Each performance was far and away better than what you'll get from other newer acts or from other bands still touring from that era (or earlier). For a 48-year old guy, Axl's in great shape. His voice sounds nearly as good as it did in the early-90's and I don't care what you call the new band, they're awesome musicians and play well together! How many bands can you name that are touring today have all of the original members? I can't name many. Chinese Democracy could never have lived up to the hype, no matter how good it was. If you actually listen to it though, you'll find several great songs that really showcase Axl's talent for creating good music. It's complex and difficult for the casual listener to zone-in on at times, but if you give it a chance, I bet you'll learn to appreciate it for what it is and is not. Almost every song on this album comes complete with several movements or songs within the song...much like a complex piece written for a large orchestra. If you try to listen to Chinese Democracy with the expectation that it should sound like Appetite for Destruction, you'll be let down. Should we expect a guy in his 40's to write material about prostitutes, drugs, and partying in Hollywood? I certainly do not. Instead, I love this album because its like watching a big production Las Vegas cirque du soleil show - Each time I listen, I hear something new. This is difficult to do with many of the newer bands that exist today whose music is often too predictable and lacks real musicianship.

Speaking of predictability - I like Axl because he, himself is so UNpredictable. I don't like waiting until midnight to see my favorite artist perform when I have other responsibilities but I know what I am buying when I choose to go to one of his concerts. If you don't like it, go watch Nickelback or someone equally as lame. The man is unapologetically flawed and like many of us, has overcome a great deal in life to earn the success that he has had.

Like many people, I would like to have seen him reunite and have more great years with Duff, Slash, and Izzy, but like marriages and other relationships, people grow apart. Go see The Eagles these days. What about Van Halen and DLR? They all dislike each other tremendously but seem to go on tour anyway to make money. I would rather see Axl, Slash, Duff, and Izzy playing together because they want to not because they need a few big paychecks.

Finally, since we're on MSNBC's site, consider the Guns N' Roses name controversy to be similar to the far right's opposition to gay marriage. It's not a great analogy, but many of you will agree that gay marriage is harmless to your hetero marriage. It doesn't affect your relationship to the person you're married to at all so you might not mind calling a gay union "marriage". Axl and this band using the name does not endanger the legacy that the Appetite/ Use Yor Illusion band created together. It doesn't ruin your music collection at all and you didn't even invent the name "Guns N' Roses". Axl did, and should be able to use it as he see's fit. It certainly has had no effect on his ability to retain millions of fans and play to large audiences in Canada, South America, Asia, and Europe.

If you disagree with me on all of these points or still feel like trashing Axl, hopefully we can agree on other topics like Appetite for Destruction should go down as one of the greatest rock masterpieces of all time. What about Slash's new solo album? I think it's fantastic...and I don't mind his touring band singing old Guns N' Roses songs either."

What's wrong with that? They're just doing their job, it is his official twitter after all and this is obviously what he wants anyway. He doesn't need defending, he's a big strong (semi)abled man who can speak for himself and he's got plenty of people round him to do the same, but they're all choosing not to, so why not.

Crap media is already at it:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/38723387/ns/today-entertainment/

Just noticed that they just pulled the story from a "blog". That's some crack journalism there MSNBC......

Something posted on their twitter account, facebook or website would surely quell this garbage.

You know, at times i question axl's interpretation of the media about him, but you read this and you realize WHY he hates the media. They just cant wait for the opportunity to crucify him

They'd do this with any noteworthy band. Maybe if Axl's camp had sent out a definitive statement by now (they'd had a day) saying that his Twitter had been hacked the media wouldn't run with it. It's going on 24 hrs. and the Tweet is still there and no press release has been put out or anything, so you can only expect that media/entertainment-focused sites and blogs are going to pick up on something like a band canceling their entire tour.

Far be it for me to defend the media, but honestly...what the hell is the media supposed to do here? Axl doesn't do interviews and his Twitter account is the closest he's come to interacting with the media in years. You guys say that the media sucks, this is why Axl hates the media, etc. but what else are they supposed to do? It's not like they can actually get in touch with Axl or GNR to confirm the story the way they can with frontmen from other bands if they posted something like this.

His account might have been hacked, the tour might still be on or it might be off. Nobody knows right now, and that includes GNR management who were clearly confused enough by Axl's Tweet that they came out and told fans they were looking into it. The disassociation the band has with the media is what creates stories like this, not the other way around.

Far be it for me to defend the media, but honestly...what the hell is the media supposed to do here? Axl doesn't do interviews and his Twitter account is the closest he's come to interacting with the media in years. You guys say that the media sucks, this is why Axl hates the media, etc. but what else are they supposed to do? It's not like they can actually get in touch with Axl or GNR to confirm the story the way they can with frontmen from other bands if they posted something like this.

Bingo.

Bingo.

Bullshit on your Bingo comment, they are fucking reporters and are not paid to start rumors, or report half assed news, a bit of investigation and they would find the truth,that is,if they did their jobs properly.

If only there was a way GN'R could put a stop to these rumors.

If only there was something they could release to the press that would clear this all up, maybe that communicates a message to the media or something? I guess we are thinking to big. Poor GNR, just cant win :D

If only there was a way GN'R could put a stop to these rumors.

If only there was something they could release to the press that would clear this all up, maybe that communicates a message to the media or something? I guess we are thinking to big. Poor GNR, just cant win :D

Real cute, there is more than enough information circulating about now,that leaves no doubt that the twitter was fake and the tour is on,all systems go,any reporter worth his pay could peruse enough to get at the truth at this point.

If only there was something they could release to the press that would clear this all up, maybe that communicates a message to the media or something? I guess we are thinking to big. Poor GNR, just cant win

Silly you. The person who hacked into Axl's twitter must have also hacked into the official GNR twitter to immobilize it as well.

Otherwise Axl would have surely signed in (or had someone else do it) and tell everyone that the original tweet from his account was bogus.

Only a retard would not inform fans of the truth immediately when he had an available outlet at his disposal to do so.

If only there was something they could release to the press that would clear this all up, maybe that communicates a message to the media or something? I guess we are thinking to big. Poor GNR, just cant win

Silly you. The person who hacked into Axl's twitter must have also hacked into the official GNR twitter to immobilize it as well.

Otherwise Axl would have surely signed in (or had someone else do it) and tell everyone that the original tweet from his account was bogus.

Only a retard would not inform fans of the truth immediately when he had an available outlet at his disposal to do so.

Silly you, only a retard would not realize what the truth of the matter is at this time, do you have a problem with reading comprehension? fans,right,keep on believing that.

Bingo.

Bullshit on your Bingo comment, they are fucking reporters and are not paid to start rumors, or report half assed news, a bit of investigation and they would find the truth,that is,if they did their jobs properly.

Where in the article was a rumor started? They have their headline and then say that the account was hacked in the first sentence of the article. Estranged is 100% correct in his "Bingo" comment

Bingo.

What's to investigate?? It's not like you can just pick up the phone and call Axl or GNR's manager to try and get an update. Nobody has an "in" with Axl Rose where they can get the inside scoop from him and it's already blatantly clear that the rest of the band/management has no idea what the fuck is going on. The media has as much pull with Axl as you and I have: zero.

they are fucking reporters and are not paid to start rumors, or report half assed news, a bit of investigation and they would find the truth,that is,if they did their jobs properly.

The news came straight from Axl's Twitter. There is no reason at all for the media to doubt what was written because it's a direct link to the artist and there was no indication of a hack. If this were a rumour coming from an unverified source, then they wouldn't be reporting it, but when it's coming straight from the artist's personal Twitter account, there's no reason a reporter should stop and assume it was hacked. And since GN'R hasn't released an actual statement on the account being hacked (aside from telling forum admins), even an "investigation" wouldn't really change anything.

FWIW, they did revise the article to say that the account was hacked, so the writer is doing his job. They have altered both the headline and the text of the article, so the uproar over the article is all a bit of a non-story.

Edited by Estranged Reality

I responded and I never do that. It's lengthy but I was providing an education to the people who've made the uninformed cheap-shot comments.

"Axl Rose was and still is one of the most-talented rock frontmen of all-time. I've followed his career since the late-80's and have been fortunate to see him perform 9 times since 2006, several years since many of you saw him give a week performance on the 2002 MTV Music Awards, which seemed to cement many people's image of what Axl Rose supposedly is now. They take the typical cheap shots - botox, braids, fat, can't sing, etc but often times, those who make such criticisms have not heard his new material, nor have they seen him perform live since. I find this quite irritating.

I've seen Axl perform as recently as January and February when I flew to Canada to be a part of 4 packed-house arena appearances. Each performance was far and away better than what you'll get from other newer acts or from other bands still touring from that era (or earlier). For a 48-year old guy, Axl's in great shape. His voice sounds nearly as good as it did in the early-90's and I don't care what you call the new band, they're awesome musicians and play well together! How many bands can you name that are touring today have all of the original members? I can't name many. Chinese Democracy could never have lived up to the hype, no matter how good it was. If you actually listen to it though, you'll find several great songs that really showcase Axl's talent for creating good music. It's complex and difficult for the casual listener to zone-in on at times, but if you give it a chance, I bet you'll learn to appreciate it for what it is and is not. Almost every song on this album comes complete with several movements or songs within the song...much like a complex piece written for a large orchestra. If you try to listen to Chinese Democracy with the expectation that it should sound like Appetite for Destruction, you'll be let down. Should we expect a guy in his 40's to write material about prostitutes, drugs, and partying in Hollywood? I certainly do not. Instead, I love this album because its like watching a big production Las Vegas cirque du soleil show - Each time I listen, I hear something new. This is difficult to do with many of the newer bands that exist today whose music is often too predictable and lacks real musicianship.

Speaking of predictability - I like Axl because he, himself is so UNpredictable. I don't like waiting until midnight to see my favorite artist perform when I have other responsibilities but I know what I am buying when I choose to go to one of his concerts. If you don't like it, go watch Nickelback or someone equally as lame. The man is unapologetically flawed and like many of us, has overcome a great deal in life to earn the success that he has had.

Like many people, I would like to have seen him reunite and have more great years with Duff, Slash, and Izzy, but like marriages and other relationships, people grow apart. Go see The Eagles these days. What about Van Halen and DLR? They all dislike each other tremendously but seem to go on tour anyway to make money. I would rather see Axl, Slash, Duff, and Izzy playing together because they want to not because they need a few big paychecks.

Finally, since we're on MSNBC's site, consider the Guns N' Roses name controversy to be similar to the far right's opposition to gay marriage. It's not a great analogy, but many of you will agree that gay marriage is harmless to your hetero marriage. It doesn't affect your relationship to the person you're married to at all so you might not mind calling a gay union "marriage". Axl and this band using the name does not endanger the legacy that the Appetite/ Use Yor Illusion band created together. It doesn't ruin your music collection at all and you didn't even invent the name "Guns N' Roses". Axl did, and should be able to use it as he see's fit. It certainly has had no effect on his ability to retain millions of fans and play to large audiences in Canada, South America, Asia, and Europe.

If you disagree with me on all of these points or still feel like trashing Axl, hopefully we can agree on other topics like Appetite for Destruction should go down as one of the greatest rock masterpieces of all time. What about Slash's new solo album? I think it's fantastic...and I don't mind his touring band singing old Guns N' Roses songs either."

:thumbsup:

Axl and this band using the name does not endanger the legacy that the Appetite/ Use Yor Illusion band created together. It doesn't ruin your music collection at all and you didn't even invent the name "Guns N' Roses". Axl did, and should be able to use it as he see's fit rock3

well I could see some people from this board capable of doing "hack of a job "on Axl's twitter... :D you know what I mean? don't want to put the finger on them(maybe the whole hand :D ), but it was quite visible here, for the last 2 weeks, that a negative tension dominate around here! and this was like a burst.

cheers mates! happy now?

Guest Len B'stard

I suppose the press are supposed to be fucking psychic and know that this guy who has a history of pulling out of gigses twitter account has been hacked right? :rolleyes:

But for the sake of argument, i'll grant you this one...what about all the other instances when Axl's backed out of doing a gig or walked off or thrown a fit or kept crowds waiting fuckin hours? I suppose that was MSNBC's fault as well huh? It's "the man" trying to bring King Axl down :lol:

How many bands can you name that are touring today have all of the original members?

Much the same way i can't name many bands where the lead singer gets the rights of a band signed over to his name and takes over and puts together an new ensemble whilst carrying on with the old bands name.

Chinese Democracy could never have lived up to the hype, no matter how good it was.

I hear that often used as a defence for Chi Dem but it's just as much an indictment of the person behind Chi Dem for taking that fucking long.

It's complex and difficult for the casual listener to zone-in on at times

Complex and difficult? :rofl-lol: Spare me..

Almost every song on this album comes complete with several movements or songs within the song...much like a complex piece written for a large orchestra.

So does The Who's Tommy and Quadrophenia but it didn't take them 15 years to make and more importantly, they were better. This is kinda key to my point, an artist with a high degree of talent in song-craft shouldn't take 15 years to make an albums worth of songs, i'm a firm believer that if you gave total musical novices 15 years to take a bunch of instruments, give em a 13 million dollar budget, fuck, we could all come up with something as good as Chi Dem. 15 years, fuck me, if Jimi Hendrix died at 27 and he got to his level of expertise after starting on the guitar at age 12 that means the time it took to make Chi Dem is the same amount of time Hendrix not only learned to play, honed his craft, made 3 revolutionary albums, i'm sure the rest of us could at least manage to learn to play at some decent level of hard rock guitar in that amount of time...and fuck, 13 million dollars? Give me that money, i'll give you the next fucking Sgt Peppers :lol:

Speaking of predictability - I like Axl because he, himself is so UNpredictable. I don't like waiting until midnight to see my favorite artist perform when I have other responsibilities but I know what I am buying when I choose to go to one of his concerts.

How on earth is it unpredictable to be late tons? :lol:

you don't like it, go watch Nickelback or someone equally as lame.

Yeah, cuz that's the only other band in the world apart from Guns n Roses, huh?

The man is unapologetically flawed and like many of us, has overcome a great deal in life to earn the success that he has had.

There's a difference between being flawed and unprofessional...and spare me that fuckin overcome a great deal shit, Bob Marley overcame a great deal, or Johnny Rotten (relatively) or Richard Pryor or Muhammad Ali...Axl got on a bus to L.A., whaddya mean overcame a great deal? We was an able bodied young man living in the richest country in the fuckin world, he's fucked up more than he's overcome, namely, a REALLY decent band.

Edited by sugaraylen