Any other UK fans concerned about a repeat of the Dublin hostility when they tour over here?

Towelie

They got some seriously bad press over the whole Reading incident, and the Dublin fiasco was just a disaster. I have to say I'm a little concerned that they won't get the warmest of receiptions from a UK crowd when they inevitably turn up on stage around 10.30.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They got some seriously bad press over the whole Reading incident, and the Dublin fiasco was just a disaster. I have to say I'm a little concerned that they won't get the warmest of receiptions from a UK crowd when they inevitably turn up on stage around 10.30.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I don't think they'll have the issue with the curfew in the same way as Reading.

I.e. the sound won't get pulled, they'll just get a fine, so in terms of a full show I'd imagine that the venues will get a full show.

The big issue here is the crowd. People here will want to wind him up and after everything that happened it won't take the crowd long to turn on the band (well Axl) if they have to wait anything around an hour. They will want to make themselves heard and show Axl they are pissed off at waiting.

I guess the other issue is the mood of Axl. If Axl is in a good mood then he can handle the crowd and take the piss out of the trouble makers and the majority will be eating out of his hand again. If he starts doing a Mariah Carey diva impression then the show will end up like Dublin or probably worse where he won't come out at all.

LP

yeah i am a little concerned, but i have no doubt in my mind that will be great night, and intend to enjoy it as much as i can.

I went to the MEN gig in 06 and the band didnt come on till 10:40 and played a solid 2 hour show. There was no incidents or anything that night and the place was on fire, from the band to the audience. and this show (if memory serves me right) was sandwhiched inbetween a couple of shows that had some minor incidents.

I think the best thing that could have happened was for GNR to move on to the rest of europe before coming back over here, gives the bad press a chance to die down and reading and dublin will be forgotten about as the UK press will have found someone else to write shit about!

i can not wait for the show and the recent youtube clips are really getting pumped up!

only drawback - the due date of our first born is the same day as the gig - but i wont giving the gig a miss. lol rock3

Getting home is my biggest concern, I'm with my younger brother so I'm worried for him as well, he can handle himself but I'm still responsible for him. I have to get from London back to Reading/Bracknell. Anyone able to offer any advice?

Or, Axl if you're reading this, don't be too late, help a brother out :P

On topic: I don't forsee a huge problem as long as the wait isn't too over the top. At Reading people were booing but after It's So Easy everything was dandy down the front and those guys didn't pay just to see Guns.

Edited by plonker88

Some of the bad incidents for GNR in the UK: recently:

Walked off stage in Sheffield for a while (due to sound problems).

Walked off stage in Newcastle (something thrown).

Walked off stage in Download (something thrown).

Wasn't let on stage in Reading (showed up too late).

I don't have a crystal ball, but I'd say there's a 30% chance of something going wrong.

Getting home is my biggest concern, I'm with my younger brother so I'm worried for him as well, he can handle himself but I'm still responsible for him. I have to get from London back to Reading/Bracknell. Anyone able to offer any advice?

I'm guessing you're coming in by train? Navigating to Paddington and going out to Reading would probably be best, but you'll struggle timewise I should think.

I'm guessing you're coming in by train? Navigating to Paddington and going out to Reading would probably be best, but you'll struggle timewise I should think.

Yeah, good old locomotion. Someone mentioned Paddington to me before so that looks like our safest bet. Either that or hanging in a hotel.

Going from Reading to the o2, I would get a fast train to Paddington, Circle/District line to Westminster, and then a Jubilee line to North Greenwich.

Paddington to Reading runs until the early hours of the morning, around 1/2am, however, the tubes will be closed before then.

Axl brings it all on himself, no if's and's or but's about it

well deserved I might add

Just saw Slash at Terminal 5 and he's gotten some seriously good press by contrast.............but that happens when you show up on time, and play the shit out of every song you do :thumbsup:

Going from Reading to the o2, I would get a fast train to Paddington, Circle/District line to Westminster, and then a Jubilee line to North Greenwich.

Paddington to Reading runs until the early hours of the morning, around 1/2am, however, the tubes will be closed before then.

Yeah, that's the problem. If GNR could end before midnight everything would be ok, but we know what to expect, don't we?

They came on at 10.35 in Paris. The crowd didn't seem bothered by the time. They gave a great show and the gig ended at 1am.

I am a bit concerned that some boozed up yobbo's will try and antagonise Axl just to get a reaction out of him. I hope they don't because the band and Axl are on fire at the moment and I would like the crowd to witness this. If any one causes trouble at the UK gigs I will hunt them down for spoiling what has the potential for being a fabulous night! rock2

It's really hard to say. For example, in Belfast they had absolutely no hostility, went on stage at about 9:40pm and played a hell of a show. This was on two or three days after the Reading Festival. The next night, Dublin happened.

It's impossible to say, but I think start times have a major say in what'll happen.

You never know. It was a 50/50 split between awesome shows and debacles last month. If you're going to all four you'll see them play a flawless show without a hitch at least once.

I wouldn't worry about it. Shit happens. I actually think it's part of the excitement, but then I've never been adversely affected by it.

well i hope nothing goes wrong-I've waited a long time for this-but I'm not worried.No point in worrying over things out of your control. :shrugs:

These venues are pretty tight security wise- if trouble happens it will be dealt with. The best bet is to make sure that you have alternative travel arrangments etc-relying on catching a last train to get home is not the safest bet. I've made sure myself & my partner in crime have the day off work after the show-we're driving to the gig-so if Axls late on or whatever -it doesn't matter how late we arrive home- we'll get a lie in in the morning :)

i'm expecting a later than an average start time- thats the way it goes.I hope there are no wankers in the crowd trying to ruin it or show up the rest of the uk fans though. I'm sure either way we'll have a good show.

its just a shame that public transport in the UK is so shite. londons pretty good-but everywhere else seems to grind to a halt by 11pm :(

Drive to Manchester and stay the night. That's my plan of action.

Safest bet!

Hopefully this might be of some use for anyone going to Manc who's going from out of town. Stayed in their places a couple of times and they're fine despite the constant threat of Lenny Henry showing up.

Definatly-I've stayed in the premier inns a few times for gigs-last weekend at Wembley stadium- they're always close to the venues or transport-all simillar standard-not overpriced and a nice all you can eat brekkie in the morning :thumbsup: shit-they should have me in the next tv advert!!