Matt or Steven?

Vincent Vega

Steven all the way.

Look, Matt's a nice guy and all, but he doesn't know how to tune his snare drum, nor was he as exciting to "air drum" to as Steven.

Listen to the Ritz gig. Listen to how Steven has his snare drum tuned. It's high-pitched (relatively), crisp, authoritative, and sharp. Matt's snare drum sounds like crap- all midrangey, muddy, and definitely NOT authoritative.

As far as style, Steve is just so much more rock n roll. Like it or not, it was his style which helped define part of the band's original sound. I dunno, to me- Matt's style is boring. Hey, he's a great time keeper, and unlike Steven he was able to control his addictions, but damn he just sounds plain. There are exceptions of course- I like his stuff on "You could be mine" and other songs. But overall, Steven had a je ne se quois which Matt most definitely did not.

Again, go look at the Ritz gig. Steven is dead-on and is propelling the band with his kit. It's undeniable.

You can agree or disagree with me, but Izzy heard it too, and has mentioned it (I think).

Guest Len B'stard

Adler, the best rock n roll drummers have swing...like Charlie Watts for example. I hate those ridgid marching band type drummers, rock n roll is rhythm based music, drummers need to be loose not robotic. Matts probably the better drummer but he has a different feel. I think Brain was a motherfucker behind the kit although i dunno about his swing credentials :lol:

Adler, the best rock n roll drummers have swing...like Charlie Watts for example. I hate those ridgid marching band type drummers, rock n roll is rhythm based music, drummers need to be loose not robotic. Matts probably the better drummer but he has a different feel. I think Brain was a motherfucker behind the kit although i dunno about his swing credentials :lol:

I have gone into about ten threads this week only to find you have said exactly what I was about to say. It is sad really, if only you weren't backing those damn Gooners for the title I think we could be friends.

• 3 months later...

I'd go with Matt just 'cause I don't like Steven as a person (he's like GnR's Peter Criss: whiny, wasted and replaceable), and Matt seems more reliable.

Edited by It Don't Really Matter

Well, the Steven Adler of 1987 would be a shoe in - he just has the "pop" sound of AFD - much more than Matt Sorum did. But unfortunately, he may not be the drummer he once was - I hope he is - or can be. I guess they would have to do an extensive tryout - several sessions with him to see if he still has it.