Is anybody else reminded of all the actors who've played James Bond when they think of GNR lead guitarists?

ITW 2012

Is anybody else reminded of all the actors who've played James Bond when they think of GNR lead guitarists?

Slash

The original classic lead guitarist of GNR. He's definitely the Sean Connery of the lot. Played on their biggest albums and will always be the definitive GNR guitarist. Like Connery in Highlander, The Untouchables or Indiana Jones: Slash has found success outside GNR in his work with Velvet Revolver, Michael Jackson and Lenny Kravitz. No matter what he does though, the public will always see him as the lead guitarist of GNR; just like how Connery will always be seen as being James Bond.

Buckethead

The enigma. He's the George Lazenby of GNR guitarists. Didn't stick around very long, but made a real impact with his work on Chinese Democracy. Very much like the impact Lazenby had on On Her Majesty's Secret Service. A small minority of die hard fans even consider him to be the best GNR guitarist ever. He was the first GNR guitarist to wear a bucket on his head, while Lazenby was the first James Bond to wear a kilt.

Robin Finck

The Roger Moore of GNR. Was known to the public as the guitar player in NIN before he ever joined GNR. Just as Roger Moore was known to the public as The Saint on British television before he ever played Bond. Robin, like Moore, brought a different style to the role of GNR's lead guitarist: choppy, and some would say sloppy, but original nonetheless. He also held the role for a long period of time, just like Moore who portrayed Bond from the early 70's to the mid 80's.

Richard Fortus

Technically he's classified as the rhythm player of the band, but he does play his fair share of leads live. He's also been known to play the James Bond theme song during his solo spot at Guns shows.

DJ Ashba and Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal

The whippersnappers of GNR lead guitar. Have yet to write with Guns so it is unknown which Bond actors they'll best match up with. No doubt in my mind that a comparison will arise at some point down the road though.

Edited by ITW 2012

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ron could be Timothy Dalton. He should do the Living Daylights solo live.

That leaves Dj to be Daniel Craig? Maybe he's more the Austin Powers of GNR guitarists.

I don't think either of them are really comparable to Pierce Brosnan. I can see Ron ending up as the Timothy Dalton. Maybe DJ will be like whoever the guy after Craig is. He's the Unknown Bond at this point. You never know though. GNR may just end up with a Black Bond. We can't rule out the possibility of future GNR guitarists.

Edited by ITW 2012

Richard plays the James Bond theme.

That is my contribution to this thread

His version of it rocks and was one of my favourite parts of seeing them live. Also, James Bond movies up to and including Goldeneye were the greatest things since sliced bread.

That is my contribution to this thread

Axl is the black Bond of GNR and MPC2000 will be assigned to take out Pierce. Brosnan.

I like to think of Axl as the Ian Fleming of GNR and MPC 2000 as something that Q manufactured for the band. Brain would be Q and Pitman would be one of his lab assistants.

Edited by ITW 2012

Oh oh hold on tight now

It's down down to the wire

Held my hopes up way too high

Livings in the way we diiiieeee

Adler is like Jackie gleason chasing bond through the swamp.

Adler is like the villain who gets executed by the smarter villain after he double crosses Bond and delivers him to the smarter villain.

Azoff is Goldfinger.

Edited by ITW 2012

Finck is definitely the tallest lead guitarist GNR has ever had. It would be interesting to know who Axl's favorite Bond is. I'd throw my money down on Lazenby.

Hollywood should really make a Black Bond movie called If The World.

Edited by ITW 2012

I bet you Axl, Mother Goose, Bucket and Brain were all watching Live and Let Die when the decision to hire MPC 2000 went down. James Bond and Captain Jack Sparrow seemed to play a big role in shaping the direction of Chinese Democracy.

Edited by ITW 2012