Was anyone else hoping CD was going to be more ''radical''?

Vincent Vega

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

I wanted it to have a bigger impact on the general music public. I always thought people would go crazy when/if it would be released.

I loved it personally but to the casual fan they always seem to say 'it wasn't worth the wait' which I can understand.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The album would have been more radical had Axl either done or been allowed to do what he originally said he would and thats release a 18 track monster.

Better

Catcher In The Rye

Chinese Democracy

IRS

Madagascar

Oh My God

Rhiad And The Bedouins

Silkworms

The Blues

There Was A Time

Seven

Leave Me Alone

General

Thyme

Prostitute

Oklahoma

This I Love

Ides Of March

The album would have been more radical had Axl either done or been allowed to do what he originally said he would and thats release a 18 track monster.

Better

Catcher In The Rye

Chinese Democracy

IRS

Madagascar

Oh My God

Rhiad And The Bedouins

Silkworms

The Blues

There Was A Time

Seven

Leave Me Alone

General

Thyme

Prostitute

Oklahoma

This I Love

Ides Of March

Some of those songs are just words on a screen. You've never even heard them. Maybe they suck.

Better

Catcher In The Rye

Chinese Democracy

IRS

Madagascar

Oh My God

Rhiad And The Bedouins

Silkworms

The Blues

There Was A Time

Seven

Leave Me Alone

General

Thyme

Prostitute

Oklahoma

This I Love

Ides Of March

Some of those songs are just words on a screen. You've never even heard them. Maybe they suck.

Yeah, unfortunately you're 100% right. :(

Chinese Democracy really felt underwhelming. The album feels more like a special edition leaks-era release ft. Scraped, This I Love, and Sorry.

Sucks always being on SunnyDRE's nuts side, but the dudes right. It took a second to digest Oh My God, being that I was only 12, and had barely been introduced to Sweet Child O' Mine, but it blows Chinese Democracy away. Axl sounds defeated in Chinese Democracy, like hes forcing emotion or just applying a formula.

Chinese Democracy really felt underwhelming. The album feels more like a special edition leaks-era release ft. Scraped, This I Love, and Sorry.

Sucks always being on SunnyDRE's nuts side, but the dudes right. It took a second to digest Oh My God, being that I was only 12, and had barely been introduced to Sweet Child O' Mine, but it blows Chinese Democracy away. Axl sounds defeated in Chinese Democracy, like hes forcing emotion or just applying a formula.

That's what I've said.

Oh My God is an angry, mean fucking radical (for GN'R) track. And it's great. It's catchy. It's raw and feels heartfelt. The music itself is great and inventive, and it has the best lyrics out of any GN'R track since 1991.

A lot of Chinese D feels dead and forced. Maybe it's the overproduction. I don't know, but there's a certain ''deadness' about it. The more GN'R-ish songs like Street of Dreams do feel forced, and maybe they were. Maybe Axl's more radical versions of Chinese Democracy (closer to his vision) were rejected by label and as such he had to make up some more "GN'R" sounding songs...But didn't enjoy doing so and so didn't put as much heart into them.

In my opinion, I bet if Oh My God had been better received, we would've had Chinese Democracy in 2000. The bad reaction forced him and the label to re-do things

Edited by Indigo Child

Better

Catcher In The Rye

Chinese Democracy

IRS

Madagascar

Oh My God

Rhiad And The Bedouins

Silkworms

The Blues

There Was A Time

Seven

Leave Me Alone

General

Thyme

Prostitute

Oklahoma

This I Love

Ides Of March

Never said that brother. The fact is that an 18 song album just a couple of years after old Guns broke up in a completely different style would have been more meaningful. Even if none of the songs were any better than the stuff we've heard.

Not even mentioning how much better those songs likely were before the ten year tinkering began.

Edited by tange

I don't know why Axl or the label thought OMG would be a hit. Taking a band with the legacy of GNR and completely shifting styles with a new group of guys had very little chance of real success. I myself initially hated the song. It has grown on me, but I had to kind of force myself before it clicked with me. No way was it going to be some big hit and get the band restarted. I think whatever album was put out in 2000, 2001, or 2002 probably would have sold decently (at least as well as CD ended up doing) based on curiosity and a new set of fans that were into the style. I certainly don't get a defeated sound from the album at all. On top of that, I think there is less completely unnecessary studio tinkering than UYI. I can't think of anything on CD as goofy as lion roars and a fucking nut cracker.

I didn't want it turning into one of those mythic Beach Boys' "Smile"like great unreleased albums, where the myth of the album was bigger than the music itself.

What happened to John Fogerty happened to Axl, all the legal stuff and delays - except there was hate between brothers in that case and not bandmates. CCR feud is the worse between CCR and GNR, except Fogerty chose not to keep the name going. Axl's argument that the music still sounded like GNR vs Fogerty choosing the solo path is the only difference. But everything else was pretty bloody. Fogerty's biggest enemy was the record label owner, Saul Zaentz, who is more of a big shot movie producer than record exec these days.

Fogerty refused to play with CCR at the RRHOF and had Springsteen, Paul Shaffer, and Robbie Robertson backing him on the CCR songs.

That's what I've said.

Oh My God is an angry, mean fucking radical (for GN'R) track. And it's great. It's catchy. It's raw and feels heartfelt. The music itself is great and inventive, and it has the best lyrics out of any GN'R track since 1991.

A lot of Chinese D feels dead and forced. Maybe it's the overproduction. I don't know, but there's a certain ''deadness' about it. The more GN'R-ish songs like Street of Dreams do feel forced, and maybe they were. Maybe Axl's more radical versions of Chinese Democracy (closer to his vision) were rejected by label and as such he had to make up some more "GN'R" sounding songs...But didn't enjoy doing so and so didn't put as much heart into them.

In my opinion, I bet if Oh My God had been better received, we would've had Chinese Democracy in 2000. The bad reaction forced him and the label to re-do things

I agree to an extent, but it worked against him because its not like he scrapped the music alltogether. If he was gonna put out TWAT, the blues, and maddy etc. then fucking do it. He also did the new guys a disservice by not releasing music thus the cover band stigma. Imagine if Axl had had three albums post-UYI out by now. His legacy would be totally different.

Over the years, news and articles had accumulated saying how Axl was working with people like Youth, Dave Navarro, Chris Vrenna, Sean Beaven, Moby, Critter, etc. It made it seem like Chinese D was going to sound like Pink Floyd mixed with Nine Inch Nails and produced by Beck.

With all of those rumors over the years, is anyone else kind of let down that the album wasn't radical or revolutionary? I don't mean revolutionary for the world of music, but I mean revolutionary for Guns. Sound wise it's not that much of a departure from the sound of the UYI. It feels more like an 'evolution' in sound than a revolution.

To be honest, I wanted more "Oh My God" or Shackler's Revenge type songs. I wanted Axl to do an Industrial-Punk-Funk 90's sounding album. I wanted Chinese D to sound something like Guns meets NiN or Tool or RHCP. Or Guns meets Physical Graffiti-era Led Zeppelin meets NiN. Something REALLY epic, but also really '90s.

**raises hand**

I can still remember what I was doing when I heard Oh My God. It had been a long lay off for guns, and noone, the media or fans, knew what the hell was going on.

I heard OMG for the first time when I was a 18 year kid, getting ready to go to work at McDonalds; I instantly loved it, and knew right then - that even though slash and duff were gone, I was going to be stoked for whatever axl had forthcoming if it sounded like or had the same vibe as this.

Sadly...

I feel you completely, mr. sunny day real estate.

apart from working at the McD. I have held some crummy jobs in my time aswell.

But yeah.

When I heard OMG, it was like 2000 already. and I was like oh my god this is going to be the greatest thing ever. and like, this axl guy is actually going to be able to pull it off on his own.

few years go by.

enter the VMAs incident... I remember going to my rehearsal space and all my folks were talking about it. they were talking about it in disgust.

disgust.

let that word seep in for a bit.

good.

because like OMG and maybe shacklers, that was what it was supposed to sound like. but it didn't. and axl had lost his confidence in what he was doing. in walks some poshy producer from the UK and he told all the industrial vibed stuff axl and the gang had done, was crap. and as moby described axl being like a beaten down dog, unsure of himself, axl threw out the heavy stuff recorded by beavan/zutaut over the years.

It was the mistake that cost him 5+ years on his album, and made the album that did come out, ultimately, suck.

there.

I think the line is pretty clear.

Can't you find a single good hook from any of his work? I'll just say you have pretty high standards :tongue2:

I'm not slagging on Trent. Love NIN.....just always felt he was good at the music, but not the lyrics.

It's just opinion. Like I said, I'm fan of NIN; The Fragile is one of my favorite records of alltime.