Was anyone else hoping CD was going to be more ''radical''?

Vincent Vega

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I wish the album had never been released. I like some songs on it, but mostly it sucks. More than that though, I think it's wrong both towards the fans and the real band members to release this garbage as GNR.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG is one of the best songs from any lineup and I don't care what anybody says.

Agreed 100%

Either those or CD itself but that would require a title rethink. :lol:

Not necessarly. It's the only GNR album that has a song with the same name as the album title. Not that I agree with taking out CD since it's a great show opener.

How about if OMG was on the album? Which song would you take out to include it?

Hmm...Scraped.

The problem with Scraped on the album is it is missing the drums at the beginning. Proof that Axl wasn't ready to release the album :tongue2:

I wish the album had never been released. I like some songs on it, but mostly it sucks. More than that though, I think it's wrong both towards the fans and the real band members to release this garbage as GNR.

How does it feel being such a unsuccessful cupcake? I mean, you barely get any replies to your posts.

How does it feel being such a unsuccessful cupcake? I mean, you barely get any replies to your posts.

I actually feel bad for him...he has over 14,000 posts on a fan forum of a band he constantly insults :confused:

I am worried about his mental health.

Edited by volcano62

Over the years, news and articles had accumulated saying how Axl was working with people like Youth, Dave Navarro, Chris Vrenna, Sean Beaven, Moby, Critter, etc. It made it seem like Chinese D was going to sound like Pink Floyd mixed with Nine Inch Nails and produced by Beck.

With all of those rumors over the years, is anyone else kind of let down that the album wasn't radical or revolutionary? I don't mean revolutionary for the world of music, but I mean revolutionary for Guns. Sound wise it's not that much of a departure from the sound of the UYI. It feels more like an 'evolution' in sound than a revolution.

To be honest, I wanted more "Oh My God" or Shackler's Revenge type songs. I wanted Axl to do an Industrial-Punk-Funk 90's sounding album. I wanted Chinese D to sound something like Guns meets NiN or Tool or RHCP. Or Guns meets Physical Graffiti-era Led Zeppelin meets NiN. Something REALLY epic, but also really '90s.

If Axl was going to go full on revolutionary with music, I don't think he would've used the GnR name to do it. The only change I think happened and Axl was fighting for the hardest, was adding the guitarist and more electronics. Did it serve the songs well in the end? That's debatable, depends on whether you think the live versions are better than the studio versions. Slash felt that adding the guitarist was the final nail in the coffin for his time in GnR, it was moving too far away from what he signed on for. People love the "sleazy" guitar sound of AFD and UYI, and didn't want to sound like video game music.

I also feel he was learning about songwriting and the recording process, and when he got a hold of Pro Tools, wanted to see how far he could take it. But that could send someone into Brian Wilson territory.

If Axl wanted the NIN sound, he should have just let Trent Reznor produce, but he was already pissed off about Robin going to GnR.

I'm just hoping he decides to trust the band on the next batch of songs. Is he ready to do that? He felt strongly about this band that he was a no show at the Rock Hall. Hopefully he feels strongly that he's going to put the time aside and just get them together on this tour, bring his laptop, have Beta and Fernando take notes, and just go "okay, what have you got for me"?

Oh My God is a top 5 new gnr song for me. The fact Axl now considers something like that a demo is really too bad. Shackler's could have been as aggressive but there's too much going on, too much polish and cut/paste editing. Scraped I can imagine in some alternate universe might be a good song too if the intro was cut, the verses were less cluttered and with a more defined Bucket riff.

Really though, he had to abandon the 99 concept as music had changed so much by the time he released it so even the songs that were once in a certain style I imagine were reworked into other styles or whatever. I imagine some great aggressive industrial songs were canned too. Well, we know Silkworms was but nobody likes that for whatever reason. It's probably a complete mess and over-produced now anyway. Also the chorus is gone apparently which means the chunky guitars from the chorus are presumably gone.... too bad.

Edited by The_Universal_Sigh

OMG is one of the best songs from any lineup and I don't care what anybody says.

Agreed 100%

Surely a sign of the coming apocalypse? :shocked::lol:

Either those or CD itself but that would require a title rethink. :lol:

Not necessarly. It's the only GNR album that has a song with the same name as the album title. Not that I agree with taking out CD since it's a great show opener.

Really? I think it's a dreadful opener and the only song on CD I really don't like. Scraped and Rhiad I can take or leave, the rest are great but CD is just boring. It's got the great intro and ending but as soon as the pyro goes off it just sucks. Personally I don't know what would possess any band that has WTTJ in their locker to start with anything else. Luckily for me the one good thing about being seated at the London show on Friday is that I can stay in the bar and get to my seat in time for Jungle when I hear the opening notes of CD. :lol:

Agreed 100%

Surely a sign of the coming apocalypse? :shocked::lol:

Indeed. :thumbsup:

Really? I think it's a dreadful opener and the only song on CD I really don't like. Scraped and Rhiad I can take or leave, the rest are great but CD is just boring. It's got the great intro and ending but as soon as the pyro goes off it just sucks. Personally I don't know what would possess any band that has WTTJ in their locker to start with anything else. Luckily for me the one good thing about being seated at the London show on Friday is that I can stay in the bar and get to my seat in time for Jungle when I hear the opening notes of CD. :lol:

I get what you are saying but CD is just out of place when played later in the set. It was awkward when played near the end of the shows in 2006. Also CD has a simple catchy main riff that people bitch about GNR missing in their new music.

I get what you are saying but CD is just out of place when played later in the set. It was awkward when played near the end of the shows in 2006. Also CD has a simple catchy main riff that people bitch about GNR missing in their new music.

In that case would it be too far of me to suggest dropping it altogether? I mean fucking hell, if we're talking CD songs then I'd rather have Shackler's, Catcher, TWAT, Prostitute, IRS or If The World added to the regular setlist. Any of those would fit much better into the later set and it wouldn't sound quite so silly as hearing "you know where the fuck you are?" after you're already one song into the gig. :lol:

I think people on various GNR boards are too close to it all to have been truly blown away. We're the fans that followed the project for 10 years, heard all the leaks and bootlegs from 2001 on, and were well acquainted with the material when it finally officially came out. The "radical" sound is more of a reality to people who had never heard any of the leaks or watched any performances over the past decade. To those people, it was a departure with some familiarity. Long time fans who followed what was going on had spoiled themselves years before the album ever came out. They were used to the sounds and directions Axl went. The impact of the record was pretty blunted on those people compared to people who were hearing TWAT, Catcher, and Madagascar for the very first time.

Could not have summed it up better myself. Not to mention that the "radical"sound was more or less something cooked up by the media to get press.

Looking back at this going on 4 years later, I can really see that Chinese Democracy was Axl's Fantasia.

Came up in a few threads recently-but I often wonder what would have happened had they simply "forced out" the Rose/Finck/Huge/Stinson/Freese/Reed version in '99. By reputation anyway- that version had many of the qualities (e.g. angry, industrial, etc.) you're talking about. It probably would have also benefitted from the fact that though it had been 6-7 years since UYI/TSI?- the "delay" was not yet the joke in the public conscience that it became...

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY

I think people on various GNR boards are too close to it all to have been truly blown away. We're the fans that followed the project for 10 years, heard all the leaks and bootlegs from 2001 on, and were well acquainted with the material when it finally officially came out. The "radical" sound is more of a reality to people who had never heard any of the leaks or watched any performances over the past decade. To those people, it was a departure with some familiarity. Long time fans who followed what was going on had spoiled themselves years before the album ever came out. They were used to the sounds and directions Axl went. The impact of the record was pretty blunted on those people compared to people who were hearing TWAT, Catcher, and Madagascar for the very first time.

That's why I'm so excited for the next album. We've had no extensive leaks so we really have no idea what it's gonna sound like. Yeah, we've heard a few seconds of the alleged Jackie Chan and the mysterious Blood in the Water, but that's hardly a drop in the bucket. I think we're in for a really awesome surprise when the next album drops.

I actually feel bad for him...he has over 14,000 posts on a fan forum of a band he constantly insults :confused:

There sure are a lot of those types of people coming out of the woodwork lately, aren't there? Under the pretense of righteousness, their whole raison de etre is to spread their unhappiness and discontent, or let people know how they want things to be.

There sure are a lot of those types of people coming out of the woodwork lately, aren't there? Under the pretense of righteousness, their whole raison de etre is to spread their unhappiness and discontent, or let people know how they want things to be.

Exactly....i'm going to go on a Barry Manilow forum and thrash everything about him right now.

It's pretty radical for GNR. If you played Scraped in 91 fans would have shocked.

I guess it could have been wilder. My world was fully explored, it's like they never fully got unhinged. It's not very indulgent.

Didn't Axl say that the next record was going to be "darker in some parts" and more out there in the forum chats? I also remember an audio interview saying that CD was gonna be more accesible because he felt that fans weren't ready for the "out there" stuff, but I can't remember which interview that was

Edited by WhazUp

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I wasn't trolling. I barely ever cupcake these days. Last time I did though, my thread reached 7 pages. Surely not that bad.

Not that I have any statistics over it, but I doubt that more than 1000 of these nearly 15 000 posts have been made in the D&N section. I barely posted here at all the first 4 years on this board.

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

I just had a thought, which is pretty fucked up honestly that this is actually in the realm of possibility, that Axl has waited so damn long with the industrial stuff he recorded he might have a chance to release it when it's current again - if there's ever an industrial revival ala the 80s revival with The Darkness etc. Grunge bands getting back together now, Cage the Elephant etc. Industrial is due soon!

Imagine, recording something that fits into current music trends but not releasing it for twenty years and catching that style of music's revival.... lol, fuck.

:xmasschef2:

The thing with artists is they get inspired by stuff and in a way they are always looking back. They aren't ever trying to do something new. Nu metal just copied Faith No More etc. So for people to say it sounds dated is weird, cos wasn't AFD like a composite of the past really.

I just had a thought, which is pretty fucked up honestly that this is actually in the realm of possibility, that Axl has waited so damn long with the industrial stuff he recorded he might have a chance to release it when it's current again - if there's ever an industrial revival ala the 80s revival with The Darkness etc. Grunge bands getting back together now, Cage the Elephant etc. Industrial is due soon!

Imagine, recording something that fits into current music trends but not releasing it for twenty years and catching that style of music's revival.... lol, fuck.

:xmasschef2:

FUCK. :shocked:

The winner's choice would be to put out the album that would repopularize industrial again and not waiting for others to do that...

Over the years, news and articles had accumulated saying how Axl was working with people like Youth, Dave Navarro, Chris Vrenna, Sean Beaven, Moby, Critter, etc. It made it seem like Chinese D was going to sound like Pink Floyd mixed with Nine Inch Nails and produced by Beck.

With all of those rumors over the years, is anyone else kind of let down that the album wasn't radical or revolutionary? I don't mean revolutionary for the world of music, but I mean revolutionary for Guns. Sound wise it's not that much of a departure from the sound of the UYI. It feels more like an 'evolution' in sound than a revolution.

To be honest, I wanted more "Oh My God" or Shackler's Revenge type songs. I wanted Axl to do an Industrial-Punk-Funk 90's sounding album. I wanted Chinese D to sound something like Guns meets NiN or Tool or RHCP. Or Guns meets Physical Graffiti-era Led Zeppelin meets NiN. Something REALLY epic, but also really '90s.

CD doesn't need to be radical. robin and bucket make CD classic rock 4 the new rock era