Was anyone else hoping CD was going to be more ''radical''?

Vincent Vega

I think the line is pretty clear.

Can't you find a single good hook from any of his work? I'll just say you have pretty high standards :tongue2:

I'm not slagging on Trent. Love NIN.....just always felt he was good at the music, but not the lyrics.

It's just opinion. Like I said, I'm fan of NIN; The Fragile is one of my favorite records of alltime.

Ah, I get it. I thought you meant that he couldn't write a catchy melody.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the chorus in Closer isn't catchy I don't know what is.

JMO. But I always thought that chorus was corny as hell. Like something a 16-17 year old boy going through puberty might write.

And low and behold, people around that age group loved the song....and helped the album break.

Like I said just my opinion.

If you take the chorus out of the song I can see that but in context with the rest of the song it's very powerful. I also thought it was funny that in 30 odd years we went from "I want to hold your hand" to "I want to fuck you like an animal" It's basically the same thing.

On topic, after hearing Oh My God in 99 I was expecting something very different from Guns but those thoughts were gone when the first lot of leaks surfaced. CD did about as well as I expected in the end, even if it was the most amazing album in the world it would have been relatively passed over. The music world has moved on.

Edited by eggers

A small piece of me really wanted to hear something that would blow me away.

In the back of my mind, I kinda knew it was never going to be.

At the same time, that small thought I wanted to come true.

What we got after the result of years and years in the studio, was over produced, too many layers, a collection of songs, that kinda..

..at the end of the day it turned out to be a new album that didn't break any moulds, and failed to match past efforts.

After hearing Chinese album, I wished he'd stuck the OMG route, and gone all NIN. That might have been more interesting.

Edited by star

I think people on various GNR boards are too close to it all to have been truly blown away. We're the fans that followed the project for 10 years, heard all the leaks and bootlegs from 2001 on, and were well acquainted with the material when it finally officially came out. The "radical" sound is more of a reality to people who had never heard any of the leaks or watched any performances over the past decade. To those people, it was a departure with some familiarity. Long time fans who followed what was going on had spoiled themselves years before the album ever came out. They were used to the sounds and directions Axl went. The impact of the record was pretty blunted on those people compared to people who were hearing TWAT, Catcher, and Madagascar for the very first time.

I don't know about you guys but I get blown away by albums if they sound great and interesting. Chinese Democracy doesn't do that for a long list of reasons. Getting jaded on a forum does nothing to how I hear and experience music. Its a whole different part of my brain im using. It's a different mechanic.

There are a few good moments on Chinese Democracy. A lot of it is still, contrived and silly.

I mean, take the title song, for example. How many intros would you put on a simple rock n roll song like Chinese Democracy? Im counting four to five different buildup intros on it. Completely unnecessary and just makes the whole song embarrassing and silly.

I don't know about you guys but I get blown away by albums if they sound great and interesting. Chinese Democracy doesn't do that for a long list of reasons. Getting jaded on a forum does nothing to how I hear and experience music. Its a whole different part of my brain im using. It's a different mechanic.

There are a few good moments on Chinese Democracy. A lot of it is still, contrived and silly.

I mean, take the title song, for example. How many intros would you put on a simple rock n roll song like Chinese Democracy? Im counting four to five different buildup intros on it. Completely unnecessary and just makes the whole song embarrassing and silly.

I've always seen it as an intro to the album itself, not so much the one song.

Edited by eggers

I've always seen it as an intro to the album itself, not so much the one song.

that may have been the reasoning behind it too, but then if you look at it like that isn't it supposed to be some kind of cohesive whole, the album? if there ever was an album that was just a collection of completely separate songs from one another then it has got to be this one ...

but I do get your point though. maybe they should have split the completely under-the-bar, sampling and gimmickry that comes before the heavy guitar opening unto its own track. because that crap truely is tedious and dumb.

The problem with CD is many of the songs feel forced or dead.

Chinese D

Better

Rhiad

If the World

This I Love

Shackler's

Catcher in the Rye

Those tracks are great. The rest are meh.

TWAT and Prostitute are meh? How Can Rhiad better than those two?

TWAT is Mindbogglingly awesome.

The problem with CD is many of the songs feel forced or dead.

Chinese D

Better

Rhiad

If the World

This I Love

Shackler's

Catcher in the Rye

Those tracks are great. The rest are meh.

TWAT and Prostitute are meh? How Can Rhiad better than those two?

TWAT is Mindbogglingly awesome.

It's pretty obvious to me that Axl was onto something with the older songs.

Oh my God

TWAT

Chinese

Prostitute

IRS

Maddy

Catcher

all catch Axl doing some of his most ambitious music. If the world, Shacklers, and Scraped (though I like them) do not fit with the other music in the album. The ones i listed are all an attempt to fuse styles of music together and are great attempts if nothing else.

Better and Street of Dreams are good songs, but one sounds like it belongs on a future album and the latter sounds like a leftover from the old lineup days along with This I love.

Give me the stuff written with Tobias, Axl and Dizzy all day long. That stuff took chances.

I'll never forgive whoever convinced Axl to keep redoing the album with new songs. While none are really bad the flow of the album....the what was he doing....is lost in the ten years of removing and replacing tracks.

Edited by tange

this happens with so many bands:

Back before we had studio /corporate created bands with focus groups selecting the music on albums...

bands used to be on the club circut.. often for years before they got signed...

they get signed and they do the songs that made them big on the club circut.. they had been tried and perfected in front of the audience...The songs on Appetite reflect that energy and showmanship ..same with the UYI albums...

then they put out an album three ..years off the circut...written inbetween tours and you get removed from that imput...corporate exects/record companies and their focus groups take over..looking for one thing andone thing only.. another hit single another hit album...They pick and they choose what they think has a marketable formula and then release it.

Atristic control of a band has little say so...

From a record company.. they pay the band to produce money period. In return they pay for expenses and studio and tours..

bet ya a dollar -that the behind the scenes battle witht he record company was just that right there...They desired and wanted Appetite for Destruction II and Axl didnt have it. If he did he didnt want it out there -yet.

Forced feel to it? absolutely. more so authenticity...

Contractual obligation? The songs being played on stage now were bootlegged to the public years ago...so you release CD and it contains what 6-7 songs that the public had already heard and digested? Recoups the lost money invested in Axl...pays the bills off and resets the slate.

Chinese Democracy Tour taking a decade to complete???

• 1 month later...

It's called strategy.

And Axl hinted to what their strategy was. Release songs that the current GnR fan base will most likely enjoy and add a bit of newer experimental songs to wet everyone's appetite. Each subsequent album will progress further and farther away from the 'old' sound.

Had GnR release a radical modern experimental album right of the bat as the first album, there is no telling whether the old GnR fans will enjoy it and whether it would have gained traction with the new kids today.

That is just too much of big risk to take. My guess is that it would have been a colossal failure musically and financially.

With the release of CD, GnR now has re-established their strong base of fans from which they can build from. The successful album sales and tour has given them enough credibility and buzz to take bigger risks.

It's called strategy.

And Axl hinted to what their strategy was. Release songs that the current GnR fan base will most likely enjoy and add a bit of newer experimental songs to wet everyone's appetite. Each subsequent album will progress further and farther away from the 'old' sound.

Had GnR release a radical modern experimental album right of the bat as the first album, there is no telling whether the old GnR fans will enjoy it and whether it would have gained traction with the new kids today.

That is just too much of big risk to take. My guess is that it would have been a colossal failure musically and financially.

With the release of CD, GnR now has re-established their strong base of fans from which they can build from. The successful album sales and tour has given them enough credibility and buzz to take bigger risks.

Hahaha..

I'm thinking the whole great shabang ten years ago, the strategy, was to do synth/computerized music influenced modern metal, like NiN and maybe the Rob Zombie debut, and to have it mesh with songs that are pink floydian/queen in their scope and vision. tinge it all with bluesy playing and great musicianship, the orchestration thing...

Too bad time drove by that sound pretty hard, linkin park came and went and sold 15+mil behind that thing and reverted to other things by the time chinese democracy came out. just to mention one band.

It's called strategy.

Hahaha..

I'm thinking the whole great shabang ten years ago, the strategy, was to do synth/computerized music influenced modern metal, like NiN and maybe the Rob Zombie debut, and to have it mesh with songs that are pink floydian/queen in their scope and vision. tinge it all with bluesy playing and great musicianship, the orchestration thing...

Too bad time drove by that sound pretty hard, linkin park came and went and sold 15+mil behind that thing and reverted to other things by the time chinese democracy came out. just to mention one band.

I really wonder what something like Pink Floyd/Aerosmith/Queen meets Nine Inch Nails, Curve and DJ Shadow would sound like.

imagine an album with a reworked omg, the general/checkmate, silkworms, soul monster, atlas shrugged?

fuck that would be awesomeness

How the fuck do you know that? We havent even heard some of those songs... The could be cow dung for all you know

LA

silkworms is great , but from what Ive been told, wont be on the next album, and oh my god is a great song that will be better with the reworked version, and the checkmate clip is pretty good which is half the songs I mentioned.

so yes, I think cd2 will be very fuckin' good for all I know.

It was the perfect album for it's time.

It was great Rock n Roll and great experimentation from Axl and the rest of the band and members whom have left.

it will stand the test of time!

because it's an album everyone can love

it has Rock, Hardrock, metal, a little bit of R&B

And I think if they had released the more industrial version of chinese democracy back in 99-00 it would've been awesome two but they hadn't the momentum they have now

they have something strong right now and should continue on that flow!

Even if they don't release a record in 2011 we allready have reports of gnr doing another world tour or an german tour.

so they'll be touring 2011 no matter what.

we know they've got songs for another record or maybe two but maybe those songs have already been put in one big carbage can who knows

I just what this band to record new songs(an entirely new record of the people involved now.)

just imagine

from all the jam's in between songs from 2006-2011 we've heard pretty amazing stuff and even Axl has mentioned it.

these boys are capable of writing one hell of a record for guns N'Roses or axl for that matter.

they really have the right players today and should move on! A record could be written in a fairly short time I think.

imagine an album with a reworked omg, the general/checkmate, silkworms, soul monster, atlas shrugged?

fuck that would be awesomeness

How the fuck do you know that? We havent even heard some of those songs... The could be cow dung for all you know

LA

silkworms is great , but from what Ive been told, wont be on the next album, and oh my god is a great song that will be better with the reworked version, and the checkmate clip is pretty good which is half the songs I mentioned.

so yes, I think cd2 will be very fuckin' good for all I know.

I'd say slightly less than half.... We havent heard 2 of those songs at all, and you're guessing the other is amazing from a clip. Then the 2 you listed that we have actually heard, you want one of them 're-worked'....

But yeah, an album full of those 5 songs would be 'awesomeness'.... <_<

LA