Was anyone else hoping CD was going to be more ''radical''?

Vincent Vega

Over the years, news and articles had accumulated saying how Axl was working with people like Youth, Dave Navarro, Chris Vrenna, Sean Beaven, Moby, Critter, etc. It made it seem like Chinese D was going to sound like Pink Floyd mixed with Nine Inch Nails and produced by Beck.

With all of those rumors over the years, is anyone else kind of let down that the album wasn't radical or revolutionary? I don't mean revolutionary for the world of music, but I mean revolutionary for Guns. Sound wise it's not that much of a departure from the sound of the UYI. It feels more like an 'evolution' in sound than a revolution.

To be honest, I wanted more "Oh My God" or Shackler's Revenge type songs. I wanted Axl to do an Industrial-Punk-Funk 90's sounding album. I wanted Chinese D to sound something like Guns meets NiN or Tool or RHCP. Or Guns meets Physical Graffiti-era Led Zeppelin meets NiN. Something REALLY epic, but also really '90s.

Edited by Indigo Child

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the years, news and articles had accumulated saying how Axl was working with people like Youth, Dave Navarro, Chris Vrenna, Sean Beaven, Moby, Critter, etc. It made it seem like Chinese D was going to sound like Pink Floyd mixed with Nine Inch Nails and produced by Beck.

With all of those rumors over the years, is anyone else kind of let down that the album wasn't radical or revolutionary? I don't mean revolutionary for the world of music, but I mean revolutionary for Guns. Sound wise it's not that much of a departure from the sound of the UYI. It feels more like an 'evolution' in sound than a revolution.

To be honest, I wanted more "Oh My God" or Shackler's Revenge type songs. I wanted Axl to do an Industrial-Punk-Funk 90's sounding album. I wanted Chinese D to sound something like Guns meets NiN or Tool or RHCP. Or Guns meets Physical Graffiti-era Led Zeppelin meets NiN. Something REALLY epic, but also really '90s.

**raises hand**

I can still remember what I was doing when I heard Oh My God. It had been a long lay off for guns, and noone, the media or fans, knew what the hell was going on.

I heard OMG for the first time when I was a 18 year kid, getting ready to go to work at McDonalds; I instantly loved it, and knew right then - that even though slash and duff were gone, I was going to be stoked for whatever axl had forthcoming if it sounded like or had the same vibe as this.

Sadly...

**raises hand**

I can still remember what I was doing when I heard Oh My God. It had been a long lay off for guns, and noone, the media or fans, knew what the hell was going on.

I heard OMG for the first time when I was a 18 year kid, getting ready to go to work at McDonalds; I instantly loved it, and knew right then - that even though slash and duff were gone, I was going to be stoked for whatever axl had forthcoming if it sounded like or had the same vibe as this.

Sadly...

Wait a minute....So you like Oh My God but nothing off Chinese Democracy? You continue to blow my mind with your insanity.

**raises hand**

Sadly...

Wait a minute....So you like Oh My God but nothing off Chinese Democracy? You continue to blow my mind with your insanity.

OMG doesn't sound like the rest of the album to me *shrugs*

You mean an album full of Scraped's and Shackler's? No thanks.

An album full of TWAT's? Yes please.

Agreed. TWAT is basically the only track on the album that lives up to the GN'R legacy.

I'd say most of them do.

But i far prefer stuff like TWAT and Prostitute to ones like Shacklers and Scraped. Not that they're bad songs by any means..

Not actually. I like CD exactly like it is :shrugs: It doesn't need to change the world to be good. But I wish more people out there would give it a listen. And an album full of Shackler's Revenge? Don't think so. The song is awesome, but it's enough with one. What I like about CD is that all the songs are so different..

**raises hand**

Sadly...

OMG doesn't sound like the rest of the album to me *shrugs*

You're taste is you're taste. And I wont take anything away from that.

I do wish Axl had seen that 1999 version to the end. Tonally, there seemed to be something more lush going on. OMG and the '99 CITR are my favorite tracks from the 'new' band.

Awhile back in 2004, Jim Barber, who was GN'R's A&R rep during that period had this to say about the '99 CD:

The Robin Finck/Josh Freese/Tommy Stinson/Billy Howerdel/Dizzy Reed version of the album that existed in 1998 was pretty incredible. It still sounded like GNR but there were elements of Zeppelin, Nine Inch Nails and Pink Floyd mixed in. If Axl had recorded vocals, it would have been an absolutely contemporary record in 1999.

People close to the project have since told me that I don’t know what I’m talking about, that the current version of the record in no way resembles what I heard in early 1999. That’s too bad.

could have dropped the industrial all together imo and added more blues based songs. For me it was that sound base that made the band THE band of my era.

CD for me is and was a grand experiment but I honestly expected CD to set the world on fire...i thought there would be more exposure and grab to it. Now its almost what you could say a cult classic album appreciated and admired from a relativley small group of the GNR fan base.

When I check out whats on the kids Ipods at the school I always find Appetite and UYI but never CD..notthat that says anything except that either the kids dont dig it or they prefer the classic GNR. Most are still unaware that CD has been out two years.

I do wish Axl had seen that 1999 version to the end. Tonally, there seemed to be something more lush going on. OMG and the '99 CITR are my favorite tracks from the 'new' band.

Awhile back in 2004, Jim Barber, who was GN'R's A&R rep during that period had this to say about the '99 CD:

The Robin Finck/Josh Freese/Tommy Stinson/Billy Howerdel/Dizzy Reed version of the album that existed in 1998 was pretty incredible. It still sounded like GNR but there were elements of Zeppelin, Nine Inch Nails and Pink Floyd mixed in. If Axl had recorded vocals, it would have been an absolutely contemporary record in 1999.

People close to the project have since told me that I don’t know what I’m talking about, that the current version of the record in no way resembles what I heard in early 1999. That’s too bad.

Well goddamn Axl had himself an album to go in '99 with Billy Howerdel and Robin on guitars??

Fuck this shit man that's frustrating as hell. I know "vocals" take more time, passion, the muse, etc blah blah blah.

I he didn't (doesn't) care.

Well goddamn Axl had himself an album to go in '99 with Billy Howerdel and Robin on guitars??

Fuck this shit man that's frustrating as hell. I know "vocals" take more time, passion, the muse, etc blah blah blah.

I he didn't (doesn't) care.

Brian May, who worked with the band in 1999, said there was two albums worth of vocals alone. I see no reason why Brian would lie.

Personally I would put this up there with Classics from UYI's and Appetite:

Great song imo, and this is what made me wait these longs years, and what makes me think that axl has something locked away in his brain that he refuses to gives us.

For all those who weren't around this dropped; This was different.....it wasn't like everything else on the radio...yeah you could say it was like the shit trent was doing....but trent can't write hooks....the only thing this compares to is Filter's -Title of Record.

If some of you want to get out of your element for a night; Smoke a bowl, throw on cd, download Filter's Title of the Record, and listen to both back to back..

You might have a heart attack.

title of the record is what we could have had.......**sigh**

Edited by SunnyDRE

having gone back and listened to the 1999 leaks that are floating around I can only agree that far too much "extra" has been added. The older stuff doesn't have the disjointed feel that the 08-09 material has. Fortunately, the live experience seems to be true to the older demos than the actual album which is a blessing. I'd love to one day see the 99 or 2002 album or hell both. Axl said that everytime they sent it to the label it was rejected but i bet both of those are incredible albums, though I'd rather have 99 since it gives Axl less time to over think things which is something we all do, so I'm not bashing Axl.