Would This I Love have been better without the guitar solo?

Vincent Vega

Do you think This I Love would have been better without the guitar solo?

Personally, I think so. It seems kind of tacked on, and this song is really an AXL song, Axl's baby...The guitar solo seems out of place to be honest.

I wanna hear the '93 demo of Axl playing the song just by himself with the piano, no strings, nothing else besides him and the piano.

I think it would have been better, definitely.

edit: I think the entire album could have been better with about 70% less guitar wankery.

I agree! I actually think that the demos are better than the album versions.

Edited by agno

I wanna hear the '93 demo of Axl playing the song just by himself with the piano, no strings, nothing else besides him and the piano.

I have the same tought about November Rain.

I know, that's why i said it. Wouldn't it be great that Axl change some arrangements on some songs? After all these years November Rain for example still sounds the same as 20 years ago. I think it would be great to see/ hear Axl doing a piano set during the shows.

I know, that's why i said it. Wouldn't it be great that Axl change some arrangements on some songs? After all these years November Rain for example still sounds the same as 20 years ago. I think it would be great to see/ hear Axl doing a piano set during the shows.

Really, that'd be sweet, but I only see it 'working' if they ever do a theatre / smaller venue tour, which in itself would kick ass...

Would Chinese be better without the 1 minute jibberish intro?

Would Riad be better without its intro?

Would Madagascar be better without the spoken words/speach?

That kind of solo is what CD is all about, theatrical excess but in a really sparse down way. Even the arrangements it not uyi. And that's important IMO. There seems to be a common attitude that production should always be stripped down and basic?

Like Duff said Axl is brilliant at these added extra bits. The whistling in Patience, the deep long time vocal on twat. Smoke em if you got em etc.

Surely you can't seriously think it feels tacked on, It's awesome, the whole big chord lead up to it in the chorus just before it, and yeah, it's Robin doing an awesome solo, I really like robins style, hard to explain it, it's got lots of muting big bends and playing of two strings at once, his solo's like Better This I love and Chinese democracy really sound awesome, better that buckets in many ways, worse in others. I'm rambling now..

No, This I love is not complete without the solo.

I really enjoyed that. I was thinking that for all the turmoil in Axl's life, in his childhood, he actually sat down for piano lessons, took it in, applied musical theory and not only plays well, but writes it too. I can see why people keep calling him a genious.