New Album - how much is REALLY left?

sascha

So in regards to a new album, DJ said the sky is blue and Ron said no the sky is green…

I remember Axl saying something about having three albums worth of material…times and plans change, I understand, but maybe there is no other material and Axl was talking about 40 fragments not 40 songs and the names that have been tossed around could have been working titles of songs or fragments that are already on CD, so the album could be all there ever was?

When you really have three albums worth of material for your comeback album would you release only the stuff that was leaked years before the album plus some fillers? Was it all there ever was or is he still holding back good material that was not leaked yet? In concert, they often played more covers than CD songs, no TWAT, Prostitute, Catcher – that’s the albums best material but they just didn’t play it. Instead AC/DC and Pink Floyd rather than CD material on what feels like the fourth or fifth CD tour by now? Also NO NEW SONGS to tease us and wet our mouths for an upcoming release.

If there is a plan to release another album – who will be on it? The guys who wrote the supposed to be leftover stuff are gone so what happens to that material? Re-record it with DJ and Ron? Or just scrap it and never release it? Option three would be to write a whole new album with the “current” lineup but we know how long that might take and how current that might turn out to be. For all we know, Axl never wrote a song with Ron and DJ and doesn’t even know if he clicks with them on a writing level at all. So if they really end up in the studio I would not rule out option four wich would be two new lead guitarists and a farewell tour in front of 300+ audiences in eastern europe. Objectively viewed neither option sounds very promising.

Also, if there will be another album, would you rather have another “a little bit for everyone” type of record like CD is or a concept album (acoustic, doom metal only, ballads only or an instrumental album)? Would you like to see the band go more experimental and daring or going back to the roots and do more blues based stuff?

So in regards to a new album, DJ said the sky is blue and Ron said no the sky is green…

I remember Axl saying something about having three albums worth of material…times and plans change, I understand, but maybe there is no other material and Axl was talking about 40 fragments not 40 songs and the names that have been tossed around could have been working titles of songs or fragments that are already on CD, so the album could be all there ever was?

When you really have three albums worth of material for your comeback album would you release only the stuff that was leaked years before the album plus some fillers? Was it all there ever was or is he still holding back good material that was not leaked yet? In concert, they often played more covers than CD songs, no TWAT, Prostitute, Catcher – that’s the albums best material but they just didn’t play it. Instead AC/DC and Pink Floyd rather than CD material on what feels like the fourth or fifth CD tour by now? Also NO NEW SONGS to tease us and wet our mouths for an upcoming release.

No in his chats he confirmed at least 12 titles that we (non-hoarders) have not heard. If we add that to Brain's comments about doing drums for around 25-30 songs then to me that is proof those songs exist and are as at least as completed as the demo leaks we've heard in the past.

I think there are probably enough CD era songs to make at least 1 good album.

Here's a part of the Del James Axl interview. I think this is the most trustable source of info on the next album.

When's the next album?

Have no idea and don't care. Hopefully, we'll be working 'Chinese' for a

good bit. Of course there's the same idiots that have been around

forever already demanding release dates.

How much material is there?

Not as much as Baz [sebastian Bach] thinks he heard! Really, it doesn't

matter. If things go well enough, we'd like to get another out at some

point in our lifetimes.

Is anything finished?

Depends how you look at it.

How do you look at it?

Not something we've focused on.

You're not saying much.

You got that? What I can say is if you don't like this, then you probably

won't like that. Same people, lots more approaches, bit meaner in

places and darker in some. Robin does a really great Stevie Ray

Vaughan-type solo on one track.

So what can we deduce from here:

- Axl isn't too concerned about when the album will be ready, but wants to get at least one more done. (I hope it comes out in a decade though.)

- There are finished tracks, but not a ton of them.

- The "same people" will appear on the album, SRV style Robin solo mentioned as well.

- It will be more experimental, darker, and if you don't like CD, you won't like it.

We do also know that (from other sources):

- Brain is in the band in some form. He has worked on a remix album of CD.

- At least Ashba has heard some of the CD era songs ("Axl's got a lot of good shit up his sleeve" (paraphrasing)). Maybe the other band members have too.

- Bumblefoot has played on some unreleased tracks.

- Bumblefoot would like to write a new album as a band, however the current lineup hasn't done a song together yet.

I think there are probably enough CD era songs to make at least 1 good album.

Here's a part of the Del James Axl interview. I think this is the most trustable source of info on the next album.

When's the next album?

Have no idea and don't care. Hopefully, we'll be working 'Chinese' for a

good bit. Of course there's the same idiots that have been around

forever already demanding release dates.

How much material is there?

Not as much as Baz [sebastian Bach] thinks he heard! Really, it doesn't

matter. If things go well enough, we'd like to get another out at some

point in our lifetimes.

Is anything finished?

Depends how you look at it.

How do you look at it?

Not something we've focused on.

You're not saying much.

You got that? What I can say is if you don't like this, then you probably

won't like that. Same people, lots more approaches, bit meaner in

places and darker in some. Robin does a really great Stevie Ray

Vaughan-type solo on one track.

So what can we deduce from here:

- Axl isn't too concerned about when the album will be ready, but wants to get at least one more done. (I hope it comes out in a decade though.)

- There are finished tracks, but not a ton of them.

- The "same people" will appear on the album, SRV style Robin solo mentioned as well.

- It will be more experimental, darker, and if you don't like CD, you won't like it.

We do also know that (from other sources):

- Brain is in the band in some form. He has worked on a remix album of CD.

- At least Ashba has heard some of the CD era songs ("Axl's got a lot of good shit up his sleeve" (paraphrasing)). Maybe the other band members have too.

- Bumblefoot has played on some unreleased tracks.

- Bumblefoot would like to write a new album as a band, however the current lineup hasn't done a song together yet.

Agree with this but i know i read that both bumble and Brain have worked on close to thirty songs from interviews with both of them.

But we do not know for a fact that all those songs/song titles are 100% finished. They could just be the basic structure, or pretty good demos. If they aren't 100% done, it isn't so impossible to take that idea to the current members and go "what do you think? Anything you'd like to add? DJ, feel free to add your own solo here in place of Robin's" and so on and so on. CD had so many people recording on it because people left when it was done and close to coming out, It was only fair that Axl add Bumbles and Frank to it. But this new disc, which, from what it sounds like, hasn't even been "officially" started on, is a different monster. I see it the same as November Rain, Back Off Bitch, and stuff like that. From all accounts, Axl and co. were working on those pre-Appetite or at least while Appetite was being recorded. Axl felt that they weren't fit for that album and even said in interviews "I"m saving that for our second album". But I don't believe they were recorded, mixed, and mastered back then and then he put them on UYI. The band still recorded the songs while recording UYI. During the recording of CD, if I remember correctly, Axl said that they were focusing on the songs for that album. Doesn't sound like they recorded all those of songs we all wanna hear (Thyme, Soul Monster/Jackie Chan, The General etc...) and Axl will just put them out on the next album. Also have to look at who wrote what and see if they'll allow Axl to use it. I'm sure the band will just take the idea, the core of the song, and work their own magic into it. From what I've read, Axl is very fair when it comes to that process and making sure everyone has their own say into what goes into the album. What I got out of Bumbles' interview was that they have not officially sat down to record or work on the album yet, and for us to not expect it to come out "soon". Which doesn't really mean DJ was wrong, all DJ said was it won't take as long as CD. In theory, if this album takes 3-5 years to be done, DJ will still be right. Maybe on the tour bus, they are throwing ideas around, but that doesn't mean Bumbles is wrong by saying they haven't all gotten in a room to write together. All I know is I can not wait for the US tour!!! That's what I am looking forward to right now!!!

Sorry to waste your time.

But we do not know for a fact that all those songs/song titles are 100% finished. They could just be the basic structure, or pretty good demos. If they aren't 100% done, it isn't so impossible to take that idea to the current members and go "what do you think? Anything you'd like to add? DJ, feel free to add your own solo here in place of Robin's" and so on and so on. CD had so many people recording on it because people left when it was done and close to coming out, It was only fair that Axl add Bumbles and Frank to it. But this new disc, which, from what it sounds like, hasn't even been "officially" started on, is a different monster. I see it the same as November Rain, Back Off Bitch, and stuff like that. From all accounts, Axl and co. were working on those pre-Appetite or at least while Appetite was being recorded. Axl felt that they weren't fit for that album and even said in interviews "I"m saving that for our second album". But I don't believe they were recorded, mixed, and mastered back then and then he put them on UYI. The band still recorded the songs while recording UYI. During the recording of CD, if I remember correctly, Axl said that they were focusing on the songs for that album. Doesn't sound like they recorded all those of songs we all wanna hear (Thyme, Soul Monster/Jackie Chan, The General etc...) and Axl will just put them out on the next album. Also have to look at who wrote what and see if they'll allow Axl to use it. I'm sure the band will just take the idea, the core of the song, and work their own magic into it. From what I've read, Axl is very fair when it comes to that process and making sure everyone has their own say into what goes into the album. What I got out of Bumbles' interview was that they have not officially sat down to record or work on the album yet, and for us to not expect it to come out "soon". Which doesn't really mean DJ was wrong, all DJ said was it won't take as long as CD. In theory, if this album takes 3-5 years to be done, DJ will still be right. Maybe on the tour bus, they are throwing ideas around, but that doesn't mean Bumbles is wrong by saying they haven't all gotten in a room to write together. All I know is I can not wait for the US tour!!! That's what I am looking forward to right now!!!

Sorry to waste your time.

Don't disagree but it doesn't mean the songs are not done just because he wants DJ on the album. Thats just remixing and laying down a guitar track. I think its evident that much like the mythical 1999 album or the 2002 album and the antiquiet leaks those songs are "done" but Axl may want to alter minor things.

36 songs, right? We got 14.

I think its less but not by much. I'm going to go with what axl mentioned.

Quote from: BringBackBrain on Today at 11:53:00

Axl,

Axl, here's a list of rumored song titles. Can you tell us which ones are bogus and which ones are real?

Ides Of March ('98), Oklahoma ('98), Atlas Shrugged ('99), Closing In On You ('99), Cock-A-Roach Soup ('99), Friend Or Foe ('99), Hearts Get Killed ('99), No Love Remains ('99), Oh My God ('99), Something Always ('99), Suckerpunched ('99), Zip It ('99), Silkworms ('00), Down By The Ocean ('01), Leave Me Alone ('02), Seven ('02), The General ('02), Thyme ('02), Quick Song ('05), Zodiac ('05), Motormouth ('06), We Were Lying ('06)

What do you think of fans who bring signs to shows?

Remember GIMME SOME TWAT @ Hammerstein?

Axl: Ides Of March, Oklahoma, Atlas Shrugged, Oh My God, Silkworms , Down By The Ocean (Izzy), Leave Me Alone, Seven , The General , Thyme , Quick Song , Zodiac.

Thats 26, but who knows more than that. He was just confirming from the list.

Doesn't seem to be enough to satisfy an album, or an album with a "concept".

Twelve songs isn't enough for an album? we don't know how long these songs are, but 10-12 songs seems to be an industry standard for a single release.

My understanding is that there is another album on deck that is pretty much ready to go. Not sure if they plan to re-record any parts (ii hope not), but even if they do, it seems as if the songs are for the most part done.

This is based on comments of several people, including Baz, Beta, Brain, and Axl himself.

Axl said (paraphrasing here): always thought of it as a double album, and if you don't like the first one you won't like the second one. also confirmed several song titles.

so there's no doubt another album on deck.

PLEASE HURRY GUYS!!!!

Out of the 32 songs mentioned by Axl in 2006, we heard 14. If work was completed on the then unfinished 6, then an 18 songs cd2 is possible.

My guess is at least 16 songs are 'done' and ready to go.

I won't hold my breath for a release though...

Reunion

Why get rid of the current members for inferior musicians???

It's not all about technical ability. Whichever line-up you prefer (and your opinion is your own, we all differ), it's hard to deny that the Appetite Line-up had a lot more chemistry than future line-ups. I'm not arguing for a reunion or anything, I'm not particularly fussed about one, but it's not about who are the better individual musicians. If that were the case, we'd have Brain/Josh Freese and Buckethead back.

according to axl, cd is pretty much all there is.

i believe him.

personally, i really i believe axl spent the last 15 years messing around with the songs on cd.

Axl never said that. He did say he always saw Chinese Democracy as a double album and gave us the names of some of the unreleased material. Nice try.

i believe him.

personally, i really i believe axl spent the last 15 years messing around with the songs on cd.

Axl never said that. He did say he always saw Chinese Democracy as a double album and gave us the names of some of the unreleased material. Nice try.

when asked about unreleased tracks, axl said there wasn't really anything or not as much as we think.

something along those lines. seems to me if anyone should know, it would be him.

When you really have three albums worth of material for your comeback album would you release only the stuff that was leaked years before the album plus some fillers?

Yes of course he would release the leaked songs, he's not going to put them on the second album x amount of years later. The fact that those songs leaked, forced him to put them on the album. The only other option would've been to throw the songs away and not put them on any album, that obviously wasn't an option. The band got enough shit from the critics and the fan base for including the leaks on the album, what do you think would happen if say for example; they didn't include 'Better' on CD (it still leaked) and instead put it on the second album?

The fact they released the leaks on CD, has no relevance or correspondence to how much material there is, or isn't, in the vault.

Axl has never mentioned 'fragments', he was talking about songs... what the fuck is a 'fragment' of a song anyway: a note, a lick, a lyric? He was talking about songs.

Why is your opinion so negative... why would you assume he has any less material than he's claimed?

THERE IS NO FILLER ON CD.

Edited by axl8302

Bumblefoot said dont expect any new album from this band. he then laid out the entire process of what an album would have to go thru just to exist. He was implying it aint gonna happen. He also said if anything did surface it would be unreleased CD tracks. I think he only brought up the Cd tracks to say if at all that would be it, nothing new. he aslo stated that this band has never sat down and written anything as a band, that is very telling in itself. I was excited by DJs claims too, but bumblefoot broke it down. Not in the foorseeable future and more than likely never. This is not cynacism either. Sunny dre break it down for them since you dont seem to live in a GNR fantasy world.

i believe him.

when asked about unreleased tracks, axl said there wasn't really anything or not as much as we think.

something along those lines. seems to me if anyone should know, it would be him.

"there wasn't really anything" and "not as much as we think" are very different statements, and he only said one of them (of course you know this).

Hate on hater.

i believe him.