When did you first become a GN'R fan?

Encore

Grade 5, 1988. During recess, a classmate was playing Appetite on class tape deck. Every day afterward we were in charge of music and played Appetite.

I got it dubbed to tape and listened to it at home. My older sister found it and decided to hit record over all the swear words... lol

I went and got it redubbed and made sure she didn't find it again. soon after Lies came out and I did the same thing. It was like a year later I actually bought it from a store, on vacation without my parents around... they didn't like that I was listening to GNR...

fun times...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grade 5, 1988. During recess, a classmate was playing Appetite on class tape deck. Every day afterward we were in charge of music and played Appetite.

I got it dubbed to tape and listened to it at home. My older sister found it and decided to hit record over all the swear words... lol

I went and got it redubbed and made sure she didn't find it again. soon after Lies came out and I did the same thing. It was like a year later I actually bought it from a store, on vacation without my parents around... they didn't like that I was listening to GNR...

fun times...

1987 in Bollywood, when I was a nasty little punk! Had good taste in music even then :D

1991ish

My older cousin was into them and he played UYI for me and i liked them ever since

I got a funny story though. A buddy of mine told me the story of how he got into GN'R. Like me, his older cousin got him into them. He was young, 5ish, and she played "Get in the Ring" (hahah). Later that night, his family was playing road hockey and one of his uncles started jokingly roughing him up, so he backed off, looked him in the eye and yelled "GET IN THE RING MOTHER FUCKER!" and started fighting him

About a year ago.

I heard the Fergie & Cypress Hill version of "Paradise City" (awesome!) and I've been their biggest fan ever since! rock3

wow.....

Never grew up with music or anything. Have no idea why, my dad were really into music, but he never turned me into it. Wasn't actually a music person before, until I discovered Queen. Listened to ONLY Queen for years, until I started listening to GN'R in 2006 or so when i was 16. That opened the door to a whole new level of music.. :thumbsup:

back when a friend of mine played AFD, Nightrain, and Crazy were the tracks I like'd most.

Before GN'R showed up, all I liked was New Order, and Pet Shop Boys. Electronic music was where it was at, then GN'R changed all that :D

Edited by star

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I was kind of born into it. Everyone around me listened to it since I was a baby.

I am born 1988.

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

1995, my sister had the UYI 1 tape and somehow one day i stole it and played it, the first song i heard was Coma and i was blown away, i must've played it like 10 times in a row after that i listened to the whole thing and tought many songs where cool... could it get any better?, yes it did, i went to a local store and noticed the name on a black cover of a cd with a cross and a bunch of skull on it, bought it and the rest is history

i then read a lot of rumours during the following years, one that stick to my head was that Axl was finally releasing a new cd with the new band, but the cd will include a song with Slash... of course that never happen but my favourite band members where Slash and Axl without a doubt

Edited by dario27

The year was 2004, I was a young lad of only 10, starting 5th grade. Well my Dad was always a huge music guy, and even though he was only like 32 at the time, I always just thought of any music he liked as being old as hell. Now mind you I liked AC/DC as many kids did at the time, but songs like SCOM and PC all just got mixed in with the stuff my Dad listened to. I never really thought about what artist sang what songs, and for years I always thought when my dad played GNR Lies when we shot pool that it was just some 60's band like the Doors because of the acoustic sound.

Then came the fateful day when my pops bought the Welcome to the Videos DVD. He wanted me to essentially be a pop culture genius since a young, so he told me to watch it with him to experience some good shit. Right by the end of the WTTJ video, I realized that this once random song Id hear in my parents' cars was the work of a god. He tought me how to work the DVD player, and everyday after school I'd go home and put it on. I was so happy going to the 06 show in Cleveland, even though I had been to many concerts before that. This one was special, but I was a little bored with the new songs they played.

Until about 2008, I really only knew their big hits off the albums and not the gems that werent big radio hits. Yet I loved the famous tracks to death, so the big hits kept me satisfied until then. I started to drift away from GNR and listen to more Doors, Floyd, Van Halen, and other bands until I heard about Chinese Democracy coming out. My Dad talked about how at the 02 show he heard some new songs, and they were really different but werent too bad.This got me pretty excited, because I really didnt remember the new songs they played when I saw them. Then the first day the album came out he went and picked it up, and I couldnt wait till he got home.

Well he didnt seem too impressed at all when he got home, and kept saying how it wasnt like the GNR he saw back in the day. Well I took the album up to my room, turned it on while I started play All Pro Football 2k8, and the intro got me hooked. I really got into If the World and some of the other tracks on it that first night. Then in my one computer class that week freshman year that year, I found that you could listen to Chinese Democracy and Better on this one radio station's website. I couldnt get enough and kept telling my Dad how it was their second best album behind AFD even though I really didnt know their other albums well.

Then in January this year we went and saw them back to back nights in Canada, and listened to CD on all the car rides. I got my Dad hooked to it and he agreed it was an amazing album. So since I was back into a GNR kick, I decided to find my Dad's copies of their other cd's. He had some on cassette, so my buddy burned me a copy of UYI 2 and TSI. Lets just say by summer I could name every single GNR track, released and unreleased, and the order they appear on the albums lol.

Moral of the story, I can't believe I truly didnt become a fan until I was 15 and discovered the UYI albums <3

I was 12yrs old n with a very religious gran parents n a drunk mum who beated me nearly dayly I barely knew of the world out there n I was afraid of my own shadow. :(:scared::confused:

At my neighbour's house I saw for the first time AXL in YCBM video......In few minutes myself n my life were changed forever :crazy::shock: .

I ''sold my soul to rock n roll'' n I became a wild hearded bitch whom could kick everyone's ass,mum included. :fuckyou::anger:

Now I'm a GnR 's fan since 20yrs n I'm not planning to stop loving AXL before I ll be under the ground.

It was back in the summer of 2001, everybody was talking about Rock In Rio, the bands that would play (especially GNR),

the Queens of the Stone Age bassist that performed naked, 'N SyncX5ive, Britney and all those crappy brazilian bands.

I was watching RIR every day, just for fun. I didn't like any of these guys, but my mom was waiting for GNR.

At the end of the GNR concert my mom was like "oh my, what happened with Axl", and I was "wow, finally a band that worth a listen" :lol:

So I searched n' bought the albums and couldn't stop to listening to them.

I literally wrecked my AFD and CD Player after playing GNR so many times (Having dropped them on the ground helped too, but, fortunately, there's MP4 now :P)

I searched the internet for band members, history, news and that's how I became a fan. It's still pretty cool to see the GNR logos I used to draw on my old textbooks...

I first heard Guns n' Roses in 1987. I'll be honest. I did not like WElcome to The Jungle when I first heard it and at first I wasn't willing to give Sweet Child O' Mine even a chance because I must have been like "That welcome to the Jungle band again". But funny story, I accidently stumbled upon the middle of Sweet Child O' Mine shortly after convincing myself that I wasn't gonna give the song a shot. Well I thought that the part of the song that I stumbled upon was awesome. So I eventually listened to the whole song as well as revisiting Welcome To the Jungle again. And I decided that I loved both songs. So by the time Paradise City became popular, I was over my aversion to Guns n' Roses, I was more than willing to give that song a shot. And I liked it too. Before long I was willing to own the Appetite For Destruction cassette (my first copy of the cd was bought for me by my poor Aunt, who I don't think could afford cds at the time). I do now own Appetite For Destruction on cd. I think I inherited his copy. But that's my story about how I first became a Guns n' Roses fan