Duff's comments on the breakup, 1999

Vincent Vega

Please nobody blame Axl, he had nothing to do with it and said so as Dexter!!!!! He's just a victim and always will be. I hope he's ok.

Georgie, how much are you gonna celebrate the day Axl retires?

He's essentially been retired since '94. Let's be honest, he's done spot gigs and tours for the last 15 years - so maybe semi-retired is more appropriate. But he doesn't need to fully retire, just the name does. Because right now, people know this isn't 'Guns n Roses', and as we've seen, there isn't much of Axl Rose without Slash. How much of something has to be removed before it becomes nothing? Evidently, 80% is not enough if you have money.

I love his current performances but that's not 'GNR' on stage. Each and everyone of those musicians represent a bit of Axl's pride getting in the way of the real deal. Musical differences from 10+ years ago shouldn't hold one back from at least making amends.

Please nobody blame Axl, he had nothing to do with it and said so as Dexter!!!!! He's just a victim and always will be. I hope he's ok.

Georgie, how much are you gonna celebrate the day Axl retires?

He's essentially been retired since '94. Let's be honest, he's done spot gigs and tours for the last 15 years - so maybe semi-retired is more appropriate. But he doesn't need to fully retire, just the name does. Because right now, people know this isn't 'Guns n Roses', and as we've seen, there isn't much of Axl Rose without Slash. How much of something has to be removed before it becomes nothing? Evidently, 80% is not enough if you have money.

I love his current performances but that's not 'GNR' on stage. Each and everyone of those musicians represent a bit of Axl's pride getting in the way of the real deal. Musical differences from 10+ years ago shouldn't hold one back from at least making amends.

You need help.

Who needs more help - me or those that think a) this is GNR and B ) Axl is to not be blamed in any way for the band's breakup? Because everyone I speak to outside of this forum seems to think Axl had at least something to do with it. Yet everyone here chooses to drink the Dexter kool aid. This isn't a GNR site, it is clearly an Axl site. Why? Because everyone knows he's the only GNR member in the band right now. Dizzy doesn't count, banging those stupid fu*king bongos.

Edited by GeorgeGlass

HF : Why did Axl become so egomaniac and arrogant?

Duff : "Because many people around him maintain him in that state of mind. They kept telling him he was right. Some of them feared him cause they were scared they were gonna lose their job. It's as simple as that. I don't want to do anything that goes against what I am now. I'm honest with myself and with the people surrounding me. Had I stayed with Axl, I would have acted against my personality. And nothing worse could ever happen to me. In this story, the real losers are Guns N' Roses fans, unfortunately."

Nice to see that nothing has changed in the past decade plus as far as the yes men in Axl's life go. They still play the same destructive role now that they apparently did back then as well.

Lies! Guns N' Roses is more successful and alive than ever!!!

Still don't get why they quit.

Because they have weak personalities and run away from what they perceive as problems instead of confronting them.

Mick and Keith went through worse crap, actually it was the same sort of crap---Mick changed the Stones direction and treated Keith like crap for a few years until he realized his new direction for the Stones wasn't going to work. Keith SPECIFICALLY told Slash in 1996, a few months before Slash left: "There's one thing you never do--You never leave."

Because they have weak personalities and run away from what they perceive as problems instead of confronting them.

Mick and Keith went through worse crap, actually it was the same sort of crap---Mick changed the Stones direction and treated Keith like crap for a few years until he realized his new direction for the Stones wasn't going to work. Keith SPECIFICALLY told Slash in 1996, a few months before Slash left: "There's one thing you never do--You never leave."

I remember that interview. Why actually quit, why not just wait or try to work it out. I guess the reality of being on tour is worse than I think. But just sitting around waiting for Axl or arguing doesnt seem that bad, you'd eventually come up with something.

I remember that interview. Why actually quit, why not just wait or try to work it out. I guess the reality of being on tour is worse than I think. But just sitting around waiting for Axl or arguing doesnt seem that bad, you'd eventually come up with something.

Because I think Slash maybe thought that if he quit, Axl would call him up and beg him to come back and tell him that if he came back everything would be under his (Slash's) terms. It was sort of I guess to pull Axl's bluff and make Axl cave in--a dramatic move.

Slash nowadays says that he knew he wasn't coming back when he left in 1996, but if you read interviews from 1997, 1998, 1999, Slash says stuff like "Me and Axl have gone through this stuff before, it's nothing new" or, "If Axl wants to make a traditional GN'R record, he has my number", or "If Axl wants me back, I'm just a phone call away." Once again, pulling Axl's bluff, this time in public. He figured Axl would cave and do things Slash's way, that Axl would be so afraid of going it alone he'd do whatever Slash wanted just to keep him in the band.

Edited by Indigo Child

Because I think Slash maybe thought that if he quit, Axl would call him up and beg him to come back and tell him that if he came back everything would be under his (Slash's) terms. It was sort of I guess to pull Axl's bluff and make Axl cave in--a dramatic move.

Slash nowadays says that he knew he wasn't coming back when he left in 1996, but if you read interviews from 1997, 1998, 1999, Slash says stuff like "Me and Axl have gone through this stuff before, it's nothing new" or, "If Axl wants to make a traditional GN'R record, he has my number", or "If Axl wants me back, I'm just a phone call away." Once again, pulling Axl's bluff, this time in public. He figured Axl would cave and do things Slash's way, that Axl would be so afraid of going it alone he'd do whatever Slash wanted just to keep him in the band.

100% agreed. I've always thought that.

What's interesting too is Marc said here once that Axl spent literally a year trying to convince Slash to come back. He didn't specify, though, if this year was from 1995 to 1996 or 1996 to 1997.

It's weird they all quit, then years later they want to get back together. Why? I thought they hated it. It's like a chick that can't get enough of bad guys. I can change them.

Slash seems to like "bad boys,"

First Axl, then Scott....

He seems to like lead singers who supposedly treat him like shit.

It's weird they all quit, then years later they want to get back together. Why? I thought they hated it. It's like a chick that can't get enough of bad guys. I can change them.

Maybe the devil has all the best songs.

Maybe the devil has all the best songs.

although the one album he's put out since everybody left, doesn't really support that theory.

Ok guys keep in mind that Duff was fuckin oblierated all the time back then...so his stories might be a little fucked up and blurry..and Matt was doing so much blow he was fuckin flyin too..and Duff might not have been there for that big dramatic fight ya know I think everybodies got there opinions and they think they know but I think everyone in the bands stories are very singular ya know..fuck it though I'm just gonna go smoke a joint and play some guitar.

Ok guys keep in mind that Duff was fuckin oblierated all the time back then...so his stories might be a little fucked up and blurry..and Matt was doing so much blow he was fuckin flyin too..and Duff might not have been there for that big dramatic fight ya know I think everybodies got there opinions and they think they know but I think everyone in the bands stories are very singular ya know..fuck it though I'm just gonna go smoke a joint and play some guitar.

Duff has been clean and sober since 1994 when he nearly died.

These events occurred in 1997. Also, Matt's story says his firing happened at a rehearsal in April 1997.

Duff didn't leave until August 1997. He would've been there.

So when do you figure Axl is going to realize that the new direction he chose for NuGnR is not working and call up the other boys and do the reunion?

Slash will never get that call :D

Blues based rock about cocaine and living on the streets is very 1987.

Edited by Indigo Child

Duff has been clean and sober since 1994 when he nearly died.

These events occurred in 1997. Also, Matt's story says his firing happened at a rehearsal in April 1997.

Duff didn't leave until August 1997. He would've been there.

So when do you figure Axl is going to realize that the new direction he chose for NuGnR is not working and call up the other boys and do the reunion?

Slash will never get that call :D

Blues based rock about cocaine and living on the streets is very 1987.

Slash is completely clean, does not live in the streets but I will give you that Blues rock in not the flavour of the week right now..but then again ChiDem did not exactly take over the world so maybe Axl's direction is not such a great idea either.......

Rock in general isn't the flavour of the week right now, rock is pretty much on life support, so maybe both Slash and Axl should pursue a Lady Gaga-ish type of music.

What's interesting too is Marc said here once that Axl spent literally a year trying to convince Slash to come back. He didn't specify, though, if this year was from 1995 to 1996 or 1996 to 1997.

Not just Slash, Axl was trying to get back Duff too:

Metal Edge: Let's get the Guns N' Roses stuff out of the way. You were offered large sums of money to return to the band that Axl Rose is currently putting back together, were you not?

Duff: Yeah, I was. But it's nothin' but big business these days. That's where it all went, and I was wrapped up right in the middle of it. I had folks yelling in my ear, "Hey man, you can't walk away from this million and that million, blah, blah, blah." I had been doing it more for other people then myself. The manager, the label, the band, a bunch of other people. I finally woke up one day, I swear to god, it was just like, "Well, I never started doing this for the money in the first place. So…" Hey, when I moved down to Hollywood, I never thought money when it came to music. There was no way I was ever in music for money. Fame, yeah. Girls, yeah. To be up there on stage, shit yeah. But money? And it didn't really hit me until I had already got the house, the car, then two houses, then two cars, and I realized, whoa, I was doing it for the money. It wasn't fun anymore. So when they asked me back, I asked myself, "If I went back now, it would only be for the money, so why should I start doing it for the money now?" No way. It was ridiculous. It was an absolutely ridiculous thought and that's when I just went, "Screw this, screw the lawyers and the accountants and everything else that's supposed to be so damn important. I want out. I wanna do my music." So that's what I did.