GUNS N' ROSES Guitarist BUMBLEFOOT Says He's Been 'Impatiently Waiting' For U.S. Tour

The Black

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the same interview: (http://guitarinternational.com/wpmu/2011/01/20/ron-%E2%80%9Cbumblefoot%E2%80%9D-thal-talks-gnr-vigier-guitars-and-pyromania/)

Rick: Do you find yourself getting annoyed when people try to compare you with Slash?

Ron: You know, it’s not that it’s annoying. There are different types of mentalities in the world. There’s the ‘and’ mentality and the ‘or’ mentality and that’s how I look at it. When people think so black and white, they’re missing out on a whole gray area that they could enjoy and that’s just like a general philosophy of life.

I find that when people do that, it’s ‘You or Slash,’ it’s kind of a bummer, because I would rather people think ‘Me and Slash’. That’s the thing about music is you can have as much as you want and there’s enough room for everybody out there.

To me, I think of like 1977 when everything was big. Everything was huge. Hard rock was huge. Disco was huge. Think of all the albums from then, between bands like Zeppelin and The Who and Queen and Fleetwood Mac.

Rick: Just monsters.

Ron: Yeah. And all the good funk out there, and all the punk. Ramones, there was so much good shit and it was fantastic. It wasn’t that ‘one or the other’ mentality. There was enough music where you just felt so, what’s the word, enriched. Wherever you turned, there was something good. It was really just very gratifying and satisfying, that’s how I think.

So if somebody goes, “Who do I like better, you or Slash?” That’s personal. What do you like better, a hamburger or a hot dog? It doesn’t really mean anything. I like to think that even some of my crazy guitar geek fans from before I joined Guns, just doing my own music, a lot of them may start to appreciate things about Guns that they didn’t.

Like it opened their eyes to things and that sounds kind of silly, I guess, but I’ve seen it happen. I had people say to me, “I was really bummed when you joined Guns, but honestly after listening to you guys together, it’s really something different and it’s cool. I like it.”

Rick: And you know you can expand that to music because some people say, “I love rock, but I don’t like opera,” or jazz or something, but once they start getting into jazz or whatever, it’s like, “Oh, I like this, too.” There’s a lot of world out there. There’s a cornucopia of stuff out there to grab from in life.

Ron: Exactly. And people shouldn’t limit their thinking. But, you know what? Some people do and at the same time, people get to live however they choose to live. So if people want to live in this competitive world where everything is like a wrestling match [both laughing], good guys and bad guys and all the characters, fine.

But, they should know that the people behind those masks, after they’re acting like good versus evil, they’re probably grabbing a beer together and hanging out and talking about the next match they’re gonna do together, going to dinner with their families and enjoying life.

Edited by Jyrgen

From the same interview: (http://guitarinternational.com/wpmu/2011/01/20/ron-%E2%80%9Cbumblefoot%E2%80%9D-thal-talks-gnr-vigier-guitars-and-pyromania/)

Rick: Do you find yourself getting annoyed when people try to compare you with Slash?

Ron: You know, it’s not that it’s annoying. There are different types of mentalities in the world. There’s the ‘and’ mentality and the ‘or’ mentality and that’s how I look at it. When people think so black and white, they’re missing out on a whole gray area that they could enjoy and that’s just like a general philosophy of life.

I find that when people do that, it’s ‘You or Slash,’ it’s kind of a bummer, because I would rather people think ‘Me and Slash’. That’s the thing about music is you can have as much as you want and there’s enough room for everybody out there.

To me, I think of like 1977 when everything was big. Everything was huge. Hard rock was huge. Disco was huge. Think of all the albums from then, between bands like Zeppelin and The Who and Queen and Fleetwood Mac.

Ron: Yeah. And all the good funk out there, and all the punk. Ramones, there was so much good shit and it was fantastic. It wasn’t that ‘one or the other’ mentality. There was enough music where you just felt so, what’s the word, enriched. Wherever you turned, there was something good. It was really just very gratifying and satisfying, that’s how I think.

So if somebody goes, “Who do I like better, you or Slash?” That’s personal. What do you like better, a hamburger or a hot dog? It doesn’t really mean anything. I like to think that even some of my crazy guitar geek fans from before I joined Guns, just doing my own music, a lot of them may start to appreciate things about Guns that they didn’t.

Like it opened their eyes to things and that sounds kind of silly, I guess, but I’ve seen it happen. I had people say to me, “I was really bummed when you joined Guns, but honestly after listening to you guys together, it’s really something different and it’s cool. I like it.”

Rick: And you know you can expand that to music because some people say, “I love rock, but I don’t like opera,” or jazz or something, but once they start getting into jazz or whatever, it’s like, “Oh, I like this, too.” There’s a lot of world out there. There’s a cornucopia of stuff out there to grab from in life.

Ron: Exactly. And people shouldn’t limit their thinking. But, you know what? Some people do and at the same time, people get to live however they choose to live. So if people want to live in this competitive world where everything is like a wrestling match [both laughing], good guys and bad guys and all the characters, fine.

But, they should know that the people behind those masks, after they’re acting like good versus evil, they’re probably grabbing a beer together and hanging out and talking about the next match they’re gonna do together, going to dinner with their families and enjoying life.

This part of the interview doesn't fit the Slash narrative.

Delete it now, heretic scum, or face the Inquisitors. If you like the new band, you should spend your life in fucking jail!

Edited by Indigo Child

Delete it now, heretic scum, or face the Inquisitors. If you like the new band, you should spend your life in fucking jail!

... :rofl-lol:

Oh, please

yeah, that was kinda limp...

Accurate in the way your side of this war acts though. You're treated like a criminal here if you like or defend the new band.

It's like Serpico. He refuses to take money and yet he feels like a criminal for not being one.

This is why bumblefoot is badass. For some reason a few people on this forum can't seem to understand that you can like both guitarists. This whole guitarist vs. guitarist stuff is are pointless arguments

Accurate in the way your side of this war acts though. You're treated like a criminal here if you like or defend the new band.

It's like Serpico. He refuses to take money and yet he feels like a criminal for not being one.

I liked Ron's description better., he knows what is up...

Except in real life your side throws beer bottles at the members of the band and screams obscenities at them just because they aren't the people you want them to be.

Except in real life your side throws beer bottles at the members of the band and screams obscenities at them just because they aren't the people you want them to be.

wrong, those are the ppl that are pissed they's so late...

... :rofl-lol:

Oh, please

yeah, that was kinda limp...

Sit the fuck down, Black-and-White child.

Ron was asked this,

"Guitar International: What does that mean for you? Does that mean you've got to keep February and March open as far as anything else you want to do?

Ron: That's always the dilemma. Things come together so quickly with GUNS N' ROSES that I just get a week's notice."

But yet Tommy just announced dates through the month of February.

everything is just so much more difficult for this band compared to other bands, i wonder why that is

The answer to that question is in the lyrics of Prostitute.

Principle. If we but knew what bands have to sell their souls to do to get to the top. Creative control, financial control, personell control CPA LAWYERS ect ect....There are thousands of bands who didnt read the fine writing in the contracts that are flipping burgers and delivering pizzas now and reminising about the good ol days when "they could been a contender" because the beggars and hangers on and the managment and the corporation raped them silly.

Axl clearly has to have some measure of control of his music, his business his personal life and his professional life. Otherwise Im sure the powers that be would have piledrived him into being nothing more or nothing less than a nostalgic act on the fair circut trying suppliment his retirement income.

everything is just so much more difficult for this band compared to other bands, i wonder why that is

The answer to that question is in the lyrics of Prostitute.

Principle. If we but knew what bands have to sell their souls to do to get to the top. Creative control, financial control, personell control CPA LAWYERS ect ect....There are thousands of bands who didnt read the fine writing in the contracts that are flipping burgers and delivering pizzas now and reminising about the good ol days when "they could been a contender" because the beggars and hangers on and the managment and the corporation raped them silly.

Axl clearly has to have some measure of control of his music, his business his personal life and his professional life. Otherwise Im sure the powers that be would have piledrived him into being nothing more or nothing less than a nostalgic act on the fair circut trying suppliment his retirement income.

pls everybody, don't read that, lol

that's all wrong

Bumble talked about this type of stuff last summer. It doesnt surprise me that he seems even a little ticked off on it(even though im sure he's not that pissed at all). He like to be ahead of schedule and get things done on a deadline, Axl is the exact opposite. It's kinda weird that my two favorite member of GnR ever are complete opposites.

He seems to be caring less and less about the information he divulges. He probably reads these boards and thinks (rightfully so) that Axl needs him if he wants to do a tour, so he'll say whatever he wants.

If Axl fires him over this I will lose a boatload of respect for him.

Ron is a great guy and should stay in the band :thumbsup:

I think Ron's just saying how things have happened

They are very friendly to one another as a band

Edited by ThinkAboutYou

Bumble talked about this type of stuff last summer. It doesnt surprise me that he seems even a little ticked off on it(even though im sure he's not that pissed at all). He like to be ahead of schedule and get things done on a deadline, Axl is the exact opposite. It's kinda weird that my two favorite member of GnR ever are complete opposites.

I think people are reading into the comments some and assuming Ron said these things with a hint of anger and frustration in his voice, without ever having heard his voice making these comments. He could have been saying these things much more matter-of-fact than one might assume.

Ali

im a lil confused here , when DJ said a usa tour in feb a few months ago it was ron who came out a few days later and basically said the talk of that was pre mature no ? anyhow ... Ron you rock much respect ! if you decide not to put up with the nonsense you still will have me and many of us as fans .

I think people are reading into the comments some and assuming Ron said these things with a hint of anger and frustration in his voice, without ever having heard his voice making these comments. He could have been saying these things much more matter-of-fact than one might assume.

Ali

That could be it too, like the whole "Chinese songs on the 06 tour" thing. He doesn't necessarily say it in a bad light, just in a "did you know?" light.