Is GN'R too clustered now?

Vincent Vega

I dunno...

Maybe it's not the three guitarists thing, but...If you listen to like the 1999 demos of IRS, TWAT, etc, they're great, and then go compare them to the record versions...it just feels like the life has been sucked out of them. The music feels cluttered in that you can't tell who's playing what. There's so many parts and layers that it's not like a straight blend, it's like a slice and dice of different guitarists playing different parts which might've been recorded five years apart. It's muddled and overly layered and it just feels pieced together, not organic in it's sound. I can't quite explain it.

agree with u

i also like the more simplistic cleaner approach of the earlier demos

more than the finished product

having all those people works live on a large stage though

like being at the circus theres always something to keep ur attention

but the lack of fluidity on the album with all the layers is overkill n i never found it pleasing

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

I'd be perfectly fine if bi-polar Rose and the paycheck bitches just called it a day. There's nothing left to see here.

A reunion of the classic five ... yeah, that's where the real magic is.

You read this board because you want a reunion I get it but why call Axl 'bi-polar'? Why would you come on here if you insult Axl?

He's still angry that Popcorn was kicked out of the band. Don't try to make any more sense out of his madness.

Popcorn had no one to thank but himself at the time. He was given warning after warning. It's not like it was an unfair dismissal. Slash and Duff had their addictions but could still play.

You're dealing with someone who is on the same level as Mark David Chapman. He's had 50+ accounts, all of which have been banned for the same reason. He's insulted the mods openly. He makes threads about a reunion with every account. I would even go so far as to say that the calendar in his home probably still reads "1990."

If Adler's dismissal from the band is his main issue then I don't know what to say. I don't know how anyone can argue that it was wrong or unfair for him to be fired. The guy couldn't drum, the job he was supposed to have been able to do. Don't get me wrong I was a big fan of his drumming style but if your messing it up for the band then bye.

How can anyone in this day and age think that that Stones video features good guitar playing?! Come on! It sounds shyte! I just don't get why people like this stuff. The Richards part sounds like a beginner child playing at their worst. There is nothing smooth about the tone or phrasing. Terrible vibrato, no technique - nothing. Sounds like a supermarket guitar being played through a battery powered amp. I personally don't enjoy listening to "old" bands in general (I'm talking Beatles, Stones, Early Floyd, Who, even Hendrix, Led Zep, Sabbath and early Aerosmith etc) but I've always understood and respected the influence these guys had on the bands and guitarists that I love and understood that without them I wouldn't have what I do. But I never have and never will understand what Richards is about. I bet if when the Stones came out he was a fat, bald, speccy T-totaler he would have got nowhere.

Anyway on topic - have you seen GNR live recently?! It didn't sound bad so who gives a shit! This thread just sounds like another round-a-bout way of moaning that the lineup isn't Slash and Izzy or Slash and Gilby...

I don't think GNR has ever had an overall bad live sound - just different from era to era/lineup to lineup. As far as guitars go - it's generally all good from whatever period.

What about the Mick Taylor part of the solo?

Again not particularly my cup of tea but it is infinitely better than the first part - more solid playing, much better tone and overall control of sound and technique. Kinda reminds me of Clapton. Like I say I don't really know much/enjoy the Stones - I just know I don't rate Richards in any way from what I've heard and don't even get me started on Ron Wood. I think he is the worst pro/famous player I've ever seen. Fuck knows how he got to where he is today. Sounds like they should have hung on to Mick Taylor!

Edited by MJG

In another thread I suggested the Stones have three guitarists, but I have to be honest:

In the case of GN'R, I think having three guitarists and two keyboardists really clutters the sound live. It never allows for just one lead guitarist to really shine live, and in the studio well it's 5 guitar players which makes the sound in the studio totally cluttered.

Does anyone think GN'R having three guitarists and two keyboard players is a little much? Considering that Axl also knows how to play piano. I've never gotten why Dizzy is still needed in the band when you have Chris.

My ideal band set up = a vocalist, two guitars, a bass, a drum, and a piano player. A six piece band is perfect. You can have sidemen like a sax player or backing vocal girls as guests on records and live, and maybe a second keyboard player live...But Idk..it just makes the sound in GN'R a little more cluttered.

lol, you just now realized this??

In another thread I suggested the Stones have three guitarists, but I have to be honest:

In the case of GN'R, I think having three guitarists and two keyboardists really clutters the sound live. It never allows for just one lead guitarist to really shine live, and in the studio well it's 5 guitar players which makes the sound in the studio totally cluttered.

Does anyone think GN'R having three guitarists and two keyboard players is a little much? Considering that Axl also knows how to play piano. I've never gotten why Dizzy is still needed in the band when you have Chris.

My ideal band set up = a vocalist, two guitars, a bass, a drum, and a piano player. A six piece band is perfect. You can have sidemen like a sax player or backing vocal girls as guests on records and live, and maybe a second keyboard player live...But Idk..it just makes the sound in GN'R a little more cluttered.

Yeah.

Now some argue two keyboardists are needed for some of the songs live--sure.

But why are both Dizzy and Chris needed in the studio? It's not like the band concots the songs live or organically. If they did, then I'd see the need for both. But as it is, Chris could always overdub a piano part under the synth.

Yeah.

Now some argue two keyboardists are needed for some of the songs live--sure.

But why are both Dizzy and Chris needed in the studio? It's not like the band concots the songs live or organically. If they did, then I'd see the need for both. But as it is, Chris could always overdub a piano part under the synth.

Dizzy's been in the band since 1991. He's stuck with Axl and has been a true friend. Plus, Axl and Dizzy write great songs together. Every band member has their own special purpose.

I still say that the demos from 1999 are the best thing I've heard from GNR since Appetite and parts of UYI.

IRS, Better, TWAT, Catcher,maddy, and street of dreams are fantastic without all of the layers that got added over the last ten years.

IRS and Better could have been top 100 rock tracks. Not on the level of Paradise city or Jungle but awesome catchy tunes. Robin was enough but Axl thought otherwise. Too bad.

Buckethead should have replaced Robin after the album was done and then the next album could have had its own feel.

CD feels disjointed because it is.

i love the 3 guitar attack bands like iron maiden and lynyrd skynyrd have done this, it adds a whole new dynamic to the songs, the image problem of having so many members isnt the problem if this group puts out 2 or 3 more albums that fades guns n roses in any form has never been a stable band in terms of lineups

CD is SHit!!

Thanks BBA!

So far we have you as:

WillieC

Changes

Fergus

DeepFreeze

Accounts being uncovered one by one.

Are you serious? I haven't even been the least bit hostile here, I have not in any way brought up reunion and I even apologized for bringing up Axl's looks in that other thread. Those guys are morons and some even quite mean to you, I have even had the time to already defend you with my 35 posts! Fuck you.

I haven't read all posts in the thread...

Ive seen GnR live 3 times, 2 with robin, 1 with ron, and i do think its a bit of a cluttered mess live,

I think Ron is an improvement on Robin, But buckethead is irreplaceable.

But Iron Maiden is a great example of what 3 guitarists should sound like live (which ive seen twice live)

all in sync and kicking butt.

GnR can easily play with 2, most of the set is just AFD anyway and the CD songs would sound better stripped back live anyway.

just my opinion, don't bash me.

Edited by megaguns1982

Dizzy's been in the band since 1991. He's stuck with Axl and has been a true friend. Plus, Axl and Dizzy write great songs together. Every band member has their own special purpose.

I hate to say it but i always hated Dizzy, just cant help it, I always thought he was in it for the glory and a free ride, He basically admits on Makin fukin videos, nov rain that he rang Axl, gave him a sob story and Axl hired him.