Guns N' Roses' original line-up to reunite for Super Bowl?

totogunner

Talks about playing next year’s Super Bowl half time show with their original line-up are apparently underway.

Singer Axl Rose refuted speculation this week (February 8) that he would agree to any kind of reunion with his former bandmates. But despite this US sports blogger Kent Sterling claims that a source has given information that talks are ongoing.

According to the report, “Preliminary talks have already taken place to reconvene the most popular line up of " for the event next year.

However, the blogger acknowledged that discussions are in "very early stages" and that it "may turn into nothing".

If the reunion were to happen it would be the first time the line-up that recorded the band’s acclaimed 1987 debut album 'Appetite For Destruction' had played live together since 1990, the year drummer Steven Adler was sacked.

Guitarist Slash recently said he'd be up for talking to Rose about a reunion – but only if the singer apologised to him. The pair are not thought to have spoken since Slash left the band in 1996.

Source: http://www.nme.com/news/guns-n-roses/54933

I really don't believe that but imagine just for one second. We have to wait what Axl said about that.

NME said that? Wow, it´s the first time that this kind of news come from a, in theory, good source.

But, anyway, I don´t believe anything yet. :shrugs:

Considering even nme links back to a blog it's not even close to being right it is a bloggers opinion

"Guitarist Slash recently said he'd be up for talking to Rose about a reunion – but only if the singer apologised to him."

Ok, Slash NEVER said that. Why do people keep taking that whole interview out of context?

he inferred it, by saying that he would do whatever it took to have a conversation

"Slash either should not have been in Guns to begin with or should have left after 'Lies.' In a nutshell, personally I consider him a cancer and better removed, avoided -- and the less anyone heard of him or his supporters, the better"

"What's clear is that one of the two of us will die before a reunion and however sad, ugly or unfortunate anyone views it, it is how it is"

People change their minds. See Pink Floyd and The Eagles. Having said that, this IS pure bullshit. I mean, the Super Bowl? Really? Like the NFL would ever let a bad like GNR do that.

If you've been following GNR for the last few years, then you know this is not going to happen.

Plus the other topic is only 6 below this one and got moved. You don't need maxed out topics-per-page settings to see it.

A summary:

Izzy: very flightey and there is some evidence to suggest he has a high asking price. at least he's up front about it

Slash: hates Axl

Axl: hates Slash

Steven: probably couldn't handle the spotlight, and would fuck it up (although I love his drumming style and he's my favorite guns drummer)

Duff: isn't the issue

Edited by mindsaber

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=173592

There is no way in hell I will believe the NFL offered anyone $200,000,000 to play the halftime show.

If anyone can make such an offer it's the NFL.

It was already stated in YOUR other thread about this that the bands who play the half-time show don't get paid. Can we please get this horseshit out of here?

There is no way in hell I will believe the NFL offered anyone $200,000,000 to play the halftime show.

I believe all the members were offered $5 mil each to do a festival or concert a few years back. Don't recall if there was also a merch percentage, royalties and/or whatever on top of that.

You can be damn sure the NFL is looking into the possibility. Not many acts left with the broad appeal of classic GNR.

Recent years have had U2, The Stones, Prince, Tom Petty, Springsteen. Unless they delve back into pageants or hit-of-the-day artists, I could see it happening.

No chance in hell!

I cannot see a GN'R reunion happening, ever! Why? Because the last 15 year's of Axl's life would have been a total waste of time. All the people he has worked with, played with, would be spit in the face. Yes, it's that serious.

Lawsuits, media, everything against you, but you still continue to push and try harder. Axl reforming with SLash would be like "well, I knew I could'nt do it without him," when in fact he has for the better part of the last decade, recently, the 09-10 GN'R tour.

He would be going back on his word's and quite frankly, throwing in the towel.

Even playing at the Super Bowl for one night, 4 songs. Axl no-show, backstage fight, walk off, somebody pissed off as somebody esle, one ot two fo them doing a half-assed performance.

I does'nt matter how much money you give them, Slash said a few year's ago he was handed a 8-figure sum to reunite with GN'R, he refused. And we all know Axl is obviously against it. It's not the money, it's the personal stuff from the past that is doing the harm and the fact that Axl and SLash have'nt talked to eachother in 15 years!

Sure seeing the orginal band together would be cool, but if Irving Azoff couldn't get Axl to reunite with Slash, who can?

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

I can't imagine anyone turning down 40 million dollars to play one show. i think there's a decent chance that this is going to be the one-off show that every one of us knew was eventually coming.

Well if Axl did agree to it, he'd be officially terminating the “new” Guns N' Roses concept and conceding he's motivated entirely by money. I for one would be disgusted. Fortunately Axl isn't completely motivated by finance and still has remaining ambition for “new” GN'R. This isn't happening.

I can't imagine anyone turning down 40 million dollars to play one show. i think there's a decent chance that this is going to be the one-off show that every one of us knew was eventually coming.

Well if Axl did agree to it, he'd be officially terminating the “new” Guns N' Roses concept and conceding he's motivated entirely by money. I for one would be disgusted. Fortunately Axl isn't completely motivated by finance and still has remaining ambition for “new” GN'R. This isn't happening.

That's exactly what I think.

Most performers don't get paid for the Super Bowl performance. Not an up front fee anyways (except the Stones, they got paid their regular fee) but they still make lots of money from the NFL as they have to pay the record company so many millions for using copyrighted music on tv, the fees are lower because the songs are performed live instead of the recorded verisions, but you still have to pay to use music on tv. So the performers would get a chunk of that money.

Granted the record company may wave the fees cause of the free publicity and how much album sales go up for the next month, but I don't know if that would be the case

Well if Axl did agree to it, he'd be officially terminating the "new" Guns N' Roses concept and conceding he's motivated entirely by money. I for one would be disgusted.

So it's impossible for him to think GN'R was at it's peak with the old lineup, and to decide to try to hit that peak one more time? It doesn't have to be about money. Frankly, if they were to reunite I'd hope there's a lot more to it than the cash.

Bottom line is that band was incredible. Incredible enough that it deserves another shot, no matter how unlikely it is for long term success. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. It's not the end of the world.

The Chi Dem era has been in effect now for 12 years and what has been accomplished? Compare that to the 9 years the old band was around for. Yet so many want to spin it like it's been an amazing run from '98-'10. No, '85-'93 was amazing. We'd all be lucky to see old or new Guns go on a run like that. Funny thing is that even with old GN'R, well, let's say inactive, they still have the better shot at going on that kind of run. After 13 years I know new GN'R sure as hell won't.

Edited by KBear

Guest siliconmessiah

I believe the ones who start these topics/rumors are envious of Axl´s vision and current incarnation of Guns N Roses.

Put this as a sticky:

Axl has even been here on this forum, personally. Telling people that there NEVER will be a reunion with him and Slash.

Axl Rose and Slash will never, ever share a stage together again.

Axl Rose and Slash will never play music together again.