Being a Gn'R fan is tough, eh?

doakes

I'm really curious how all of you Gn'R lifers made it through the storm that was Chinese Democracy? What in god's name did you do all those years to curb your anticipation? Where do we go now?

Let me summarize my Gn'R history-- I've been a fan of the band and the music (the singles) for as long as I can remember. My mother sang Sweet Child O' Mine to me since I've been in the womb. I remember thinking as a kid that Don't Cry was one of the coolest fucking videos I've ever seen. I grew up in LA so bands like Gn'R and Red Hot Chili Peppers have always been pretty accessible through local radio-- But I haven't always been such an avid fan until recently.

I hadn't heard about Chinese Democracy until like 2007. I listened to a track on YouTube, believe it was Chicken Dinner, and didn't think much of it-- But the little promotion there was back in 08 really reinvigorated my interest and I started taking a liking to the demos and the back catalog. So long story short, I didn't have to wait long for Democracy.

But now it's been a good few years, and I've played the fuck out of all the albums-- And while I still would call Gn'R my favorite band, it's hard to advocate for the lack of releases. I've gone back and listened to about every old demo or alternate version I could find.... But I'm deeply afraid of it growing stale.

I'm genuinely curious as to how many of you made it through the long haul, with such patience and devotion to the band? Cause-- heck, I'm preaching to the choir here, but it's tough being a Gn'R fan. There's a lot of waiting... Lots of unfulfilled promises... And lot's of bitter MF'rs on here that will shit on the band at any chance they get.

If you like it, you're gonna stick with it 'till the end.

Even if they don't release anything, just the thought that there's something

or someone you can relie on to or to follow as a role model makes you get your ass up in the morning.

It's only tough if stupid fat assholes attention-whores :rolleyes: keep saying lies about that something.

All in all, i find it fun to be a GN'R fan because you never know what's gonna to happen next B)

Edited by Izzy_Stradlin_XX

the leaks helped, instead of seeing those road signs as you are driving in the middle of nowhere that say 'next eatery 3000 miles' , and then all of a sudden a fuckin mcdonalds pops up on the horizon without warning?

trust me,

When you're hungry and that happens, your happy :).

Edited by gunns5

I'll tell you how some people made it through. Some people on this site who post here incessantly 24/7 do nothing but talk shit about GNR and this site on another GNR fan site. These people have the exact same fucking screen names, and do nothing but bitch and moan and whine, but yet they come here obsessively, even thought they're clearly unhappy with something. I think one of them already posted in this thread- not gonna name any names but google will tell you quite quickly. Hypocrites, all of them.

Some persons made it harder than it needed to be. I mean, it is what it is. But it's really not that bad. But it seems so many assholes want to look at it as "glass half empty" and share their dystopia with everyone else. For me, I look at the positive. I like hearing what Axl's up to. I like hearing what Duff, Izzy, and Slash are doing as well. I enjoy seeing concert footage on the internet, and the next time GNR is near my town, I'm goin for sure. So for me, it's not even about patience. We'll get what we get, when we get it (and that applies to any and all ex-GNR members). I can deal with that. While some deluded reunionist obsessors would like to believe utopia is 4 ex band members away, I'm a little more pragmatic and honestly, it's not that hard. I'm glad that the musicians I first came to hear when I was 9 years old in 1988 are still around and making music, no matter what their current interpersonal situations may be. Sure it might sound like I'm high on prozac but really it's this simple: I'm thankful that I did get more music from those guys. Although I wish Izzy would make it fucking easier to get ahold of some of his releases. ; )

Grateful; not greedy for more: that's how I made it through the last 17 years.

Regardless if GNR never release another cd, their other cds are awesome. I still listen to GNR cds all the time, but yeah, I have many favorite newer bands too.

GNR's music is eternal. Fans who were around from the beginning witnessed something great. I think since their music is timeless, GNR will always have new fans who will hear their music and for us older fans, we also still have their music.

I happen to like Chinese Democracy too, but yeah, the original GNR stuff is amazing. AFD is one of the best rock albums every made, so no matter what the future holds, GNR's music will always be here for those who want to listen to it.

Be patient.

I try to think that everything happens for a reason, everything happens when it's going to happen. :P

After all, everything that comes from GNR worth the wait and I discovered some other great bands while I was waiting for CD.

But, yeah, I hope it won't take another 15 years...

Edited by Shooting Star

I'm really curious how all of you Gn'R lifers made it through the storm that was Chinese Democracy? What in god's name did you do all those years to curb your anticipation? Where do we go now?

Let me summarize my Gn'R history-- I've been a fan of the band and the music (the singles) for as long as I can remember. My mother sang Sweet Child O' Mine to me since I've been in the womb. I remember thinking as a kid that Don't Cry was one of the coolest fucking videos I've ever seen. I grew up in LA so bands like Gn'R and Red Hot Chili Peppers have always been pretty accessible through local radio-- But I haven't always been such an avid fan until recently.

I hadn't heard about Chinese Democracy until like 2007. I listened to a track on YouTube, believe it was Chicken Dinner, and didn't think much of it-- But the little promotion there was back in 08 really reinvigorated my interest and I started taking a liking to the demos and the back catalog. So long story short, I didn't have to wait long for Democracy.

But now it's been a good few years, and I've played the fuck out of all the albums-- And while I still would call Gn'R my favorite band, it's hard to advocate for the lack of releases. I've gone back and listened to about every old demo or alternate version I could find.... But I'm deeply afraid of it growing stale.

I'm genuinely curious as to how many of you made it through the long haul, with such patience and devotion to the band? Cause-- heck, I'm preaching to the choir here, but it's tough being a Gn'R fan. There's a lot of waiting... Lots of unfulfilled promises... And lot's of bitter MF'rs on here that will shit on the band at any chance they get.

It's not hard at all, but some people around this board in particular seem to believe the band owes them something, and should be run the way they see fit, which is total BS. So I guess the one thing that annoys me most about the band is its fans, or the "we're not really fans we just like to cupcake" segment.

I'm a fan of Tool (album every four or five years), A Perfect Circle (seeing them live this year, they haven't had an album since what, 2003/4?), Nine Inch Nails (The Fragile took what, 6 years?), etc. Long waits aren't a huge deal, especially since an entire lineup was rebuilt.

I first caught notice of the new band in late 2006. I always knew who Guns N' Roses were but never cared for them. I being at my cousin's house for Easter and someone bought a VHS of Rock in Rio III and all i said was "where is Slash? Who is that guy with the Bucket on his head?", this was in about 2002. Anyway some years pass and i was on Limewire looking for something to download. I remember liking You could be mine so i punched it in and i saw "Guns N' Roses Madagascar new song", so i thought "what the hell". It was the Rock in Rio III rip. I was BLOWN AWAY. I checked out The Blues but wasn't too impressed initially(that changed later) and i absolutely LOVED the title track Chinese Democracy. Eventually i found TWAT, Better and IRS and my mind was blown. There was a time was THE SONG that got me into playing guitar, which changed my life. I started reading up about what happened to Guns and the story of Chidem. Bought the old Guns albums, signed up to the forums, saw them live, eagerly awaiting a release date for the new album. The music is so good, that's why i keep waiting and will continue to wait.

Edited by Young_Gun

It's impressive how the band has managed to get new fans after 2001. I hope they don't turn you guys down as much as they've turned some oldies.

It's really tough being a fan since '92. I can only imagine folks who are sticking around since pre AFD days.

I first caught notice of the new band in late 2006. I always knew who Guns N' Roses were but never cared for them. I being at my cousin's house for Easter and someone bought a VHS of Rock in Rio III and all i said was "where is Slash? Who is that guy with the Bucket on his head?", this was in about 2002. Anyway some years pass and i was on Limewire looking for something to download. I remember liking You could be mine so i punched it in and i saw "Guns N' Roses Madagascar new song", so i thought "what the hell". It was the Rock in Rio III rip. I was BLOWN AWAY. I checked out The Blues but wasn't too impressed initially(that changed later) and i absolutely LOVED the title track Chinese Democracy. Eventually i found TWAT, Better and IRS and my mind was blown. There was a time was THE SONG that got me into playing guitar, which changed my life. I started reading up about what happened to Guns and the story of Chidem. Bought the old Guns albums, signed up to the forums, saw them live, eagerly awaiting a release date for the new album. The music is so good, that's why i keep waiting and will continue to wait.

that is basically my story except i knew of bucket before in 1998 i was 12 a friend of my older brother who was into guitars had the colma album and loved it, i have been a fan of guns since i can remember the use your illusion albums are 2 of my fave albums of all time i got into the new band really with the ama awards in 2002, i have followed them since and loved chinese democracy and like you the music is too good and that is why i too wait

I've been a fan of GnR since Lies came out- I was in High School at the time. I still kick myself for not going to see them with my College Roommate when they were touring in the early 90s. Mainly I ended up getting busy with life. I love music, GnR is one of my favorite bands, but I got busy living my own life, working, education and family. That's not to say that I won't be thrilled for a new album and if they manage to tour the US (and come somewhere near Vegas) that I won't be trying to get front row tickets. I might even take my daughter as she loves GnR and always asks me to blast it in the car. She's 6.

I am a fan for many many years. I like old and new Gnr. The leaks helped, listening to the old band helped.

And the other old bandmates were not sitting still, I listened to their music. But when CD came out, I was very happy.

But It's not Gnr is all there is for me. There is a lot of great music out there and I have a life to live, which also keeps me very busy. So no problem to wait, just thankfull with what we have so far.

Edited by MBRose

I've been a fan of GnR since the beginning, but I can't say as I've ever waited for anything from them or become frustrated by not getting any content from them. I just got into other stuff in the meantime. And when there was something to get into GnR wise again I checked it out, and got into it again. I've always listened to their stuff and I do get into the whole history of them, unlike any other band. But they aren't my primary focus in life, so delays don't affect me much.

being on these forums has screwed my brain. i like the guy who said it's easier when you're not on the forums and you can get on with your life.. and almost forget about expecting anything. but for some reason i feel connected to gn'r in spite of all the treason, and like everyone else i want to keep up with what's going on. i really don't like how people make excuses for the underhanded shit that goes down, and they also complain about 'whiners', when really they're whining just as much in return. basically I love the old music better than the new, but if the new was performed by its original writers- BH, Finck etc, then I would love it more. Authenticity wins hands down. No offense to the current musicians in this band, of which some are playing within the constraints of limitations. i'm sure it's not a case of them not wanting to do anything of their own originality. and i really hope that that's exactly what they're doing while we wait here with no news. at least that will make the waiting worth something. But it really does make being a fan kind of hurtful when you're treated like a juvenile in a detention home, begging for meager rations. The best news that could come out of this camp now would be getting told that BBF & DJ & Axl etc have been in the studio and have a bunch of original material called ..... & ..... & "this" and "that" and more information ... and even better, some demos being officially released- oh wait, I'm dreaming. sorry.