Message to all members

highvoltage

First of all, we would like to apologise for not being able to communicate to you guys earlier. An unfortunate set of circumstances caught us out, involving most of us being extremely busy and Eric for a period having limited access to internet while in vacation in Cuba (MYGNR is blocked there, to make things more difficult).

Unfortunately, this period coincided with the delivery of fairly threatening letter delivered to Eric from Guns’ legal team that, in essence, demanded that we remove every and all topics relating to MSL and stolen data files “immediately”. Although we have responded to them, stressing that we do not believe that we have acted illegally in allowing members to hold discussions about the files, rather than face potential legal ramifications, we have chosen to respect their wishes that the topics cease to be posted.

As Eric was away, we felt it was inappropriate to reveal this to members until he returned – as the legal issues of the site are his business to handle.

Upon hearing that we were about to receive these letters, Bumblefoot contacted me on Facebook and essentially said that if it was any easier on us (in the wake of the letter), that it was OK for us to remove the threads he’d posted in. For now, we have done just that. We may restore them in the future at some point (we would really like to).

So, again – apologies for not letting you guys know why we suddenly removed all the threads about the incident. We were caught on the back foot and unfortunately didn’t have many options available to us. I hope this will satisfy any further complaints of “censorship” – we were simply acting in what we hoped were the best interests for the preservation of our site.

Thanks

- MYGNRFORUM Mod Team

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gunns5

First of all, we would like to apologise for not being able to communicate to you guys earlier. An unfortunate set of circumstances caught us out, involving most of us being extremely busy and Eric for a period having limited access to internet while in vacation in Cuba (MYGNR is blocked there, to make things more difficult).

Unfortunately, this period coincided with the delivery of fairly threatening letter delivered to Eric from Guns’ legal team that, in essence, demanded that we remove every and all topics relating to MSL and stolen data files “immediately”. Although we have responded to them, stressing that we do not believe that we have acted illegally in allowing members to hold discussions about the files, rather than face potential legal ramifications, we have chosen to respect their wishes that the topics cease to be posted.

As Eric was away, we felt it was inappropriate to reveal this to members until he returned – as the legal issues of the site are his business to handle.

Upon hearing that we were about to receive these letters, Bumblefoot contacted me on Facebook and essentially said that if it was any easier on us (in the wake of the letter), that it was OK for us to remove the threads he’d posted in. For now, we have done just that. We may restore them in the future at some point (we would really like to).

So, again – apologies for not letting you guys know why we suddenly removed all the threads about the incident. We were caught on the back foot and unfortunately didn’t have many options available to us. I hope this will satisfy any further complaints of “censorship” – we were simply acting in what we hoped were the best interests for the preservation of our site.

Thanks

- MYGNRFORUM Mod Team

Thanks for letting us know H.V, would make sense also as to why 'M51' has stopped talking about it himself as well..

cheers for the heads up bro

Even if what MSL had was obtained illegally, it's not against the law to discuss illegal activity. It certainly wouldn't have been necessary for the mods to pile on MSL and anyone that thought he was telling the truth.

Thanks for clearing that up!

...rather than face potential legal ramifications, we have chosen to respect their wishes that the topics cease to be posted.

Common sense really, who would want to face that kind of trouble?!

+1

So what MSL had was legit...

Basically yes, but I´m sure, not in every detail. I still believe in Rons words & I have seen, that MSLs perception and acting is somehow, well, twisted.

Based on everything I read about the whole issue at different places, I think he used the facts he got to create his own story.

Edited by amareh

Posting those files wouldn't be worth it. There would be a huge limit to what we'd be able to post in the forum if the GNR legal team or Axl started looking at what's on the site and make them take down copyrighted photos, You Tube links to concerts, and bootlegs in general. I think it's cool that band members have come here, checked out, and participated in discussions with fans. You don't find that on many fan run sites. And you can bet journalists read this site so any breaking info would be on TMZ in minutes and Yahoo trended, and Tweeted.

Supporting a band doesn't mean you have to keep up to date in real time what's going on with them and wondering when the next thing is coming out or when the next tour is happening. There's sites dedicated to bands and singers no longer functioning, and sections of the forum dedicated to the original band and reunions. There's thousands of other bands out there to listen to and discuss.

There was nothing BBF said in that discussion that would hurt him or the band, but it sounds like it's better to clean house and CYA for now.

As cool as it would be to see those files, and maybe one day we will because there's prob. some things that would clarify some questions we have, but that's someone's personal shit that has some potential to damage. Maybe. And when it comes to a multimilliondollar revenue earning band with lawyers, no one here has that kind of money to dispute it.

Maybe Wikileaks would put it up, but they have bigger fish to fry.

Although we have responded to them, stressing that we do not believe that we have acted illegally in allowing members to hold discussions about the files, rather than face potential legal ramifications, we have chosen to respect their wishes that the topics cease to be posted.

i do dissagree with this decision , though i respect your choice in the matter .

does this make some what msl said legit?

you can face legal action for discussing rumors? trade secrets?

ron knew about the letter ahead of time? why do the chat?

can understand eric not wanting the legal headache and to stay in good graces with the band.

i wonder if msl has received any letter from guns, as everything he posted here, he posted on his site?

thanks for the explanation.

Edited by SunnyDRE

Guest gunns5

Good thing those documents didn't leak. No doubt MSL would of ended up in jail judging by the way gnr's legal team has handled this situation by the mere mention of anything in relation to the stolen docs has to cease.

i can definitely understand not wanting axl to shut your site down.

but despite scary letters from high priced attorneys, i really don't think they have the power to keep people from discussing something that is true. i don't think you have the right to post his intellectual or creative property -- including stolen emails or song leaks -- but i don't think the constitution grants axl the power to keep people from talking about him, especially if what they are saying is true.

if it's not true, then that's the complaint. if someone prints things that are untrue about you and spreads them, that's against the law. but if someone talks about something that happened and is true, i think that's just called freedom of speech.

but like i said, i understand preserving your site. and i understand how intimidating it can be to get those fancy lawyer letters. but as we know, axl has his team send out these things all the time. remember when he was going to sue the shit out of dr. pepper for bullshit reasons? they just ignored the letter. like countless others have.

Edited by cancerface