Doctor to claim Michael Jackson committed suicide over debt

Towelie

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Attorneys for Dr Conrad Murray, who is accused of involuntary manslaughter, suggest the singer 'took desperate measures' over the state of his finances

Michael Jackson killed himself in June 2009 because of his "desperation" over the state of his finances, a court heard this week. Lawyers for Dr Conrad Murray, the singer's former physician who is accused of involuntary manslaughter, said the theory about Jackson's money problems was "the crux of the defence" and appealed for access to financial records. Murray is accused of killing the singer by administering an excessive dose of the sedative propofol.

"Michael Jackson engaged in a desperate act and took desperate measures that caused his death," attorney Andrew Chernoff told Los Angeles Superior Court this week. "We believe at the time Michael Jackson died he was a desperate man in relation to his financial affairs." In a preliminary hearing for Murray's forthcoming manslaughter trial, Chernoff sought information on three loans against which Jackson owed money at the time of his death. These are understood to have been worth almost $500m (£307m).

Prosecutors called the request a "distraction". "This is an irrelevant sideshow designed to take issues away from the jury and smear Michael Jackson," said deputy district attorney David Walgren.

Judge Michael E Pastor refused the defence's request, but ordered a representative from Jackson's estate to discuss financial matters with the defence. "I'm not going to turn an involuntary manslaughter trial into some kind of an escapade in analysis of the finances in Jackson's entire life," he told the court. "Right now this is major deep sea fishing."

This is so stupid. With everything Michael went through in his life he's supposed to have committed suicide over debt? Come on, he has had way more serious problems than that. Plus he would earn lots of money from the London shows to pay off debt, so it makes no sense at all.

Conrad Murray and his lawyers keep surprising me with how low they are willing to go in this case. Murray fucked up and he broke the law but he choses to blame a dead man who can't defend himself. Murray is beyond pathetic.

He was an addict that took a lot of meds.

If anything, he would've staged his own death, or the attempt would've been during the scandal in the 90s. He did have a loan using his publishing as collateral, in order to cover debts. He definitely was in deep debt and part of why they made the movie was to recoup what they lost.The movie grossed 261 million, which is prob. more than they would've made with Jackson's 50 shows. Also, The Beatles started licensing more songs to movies and the past few years, all things Beatles have brought money in.

I agree that Jackson was desperate, but he was also working on salvaging his career and reputation.

idk

I don't think the dr should be on trial. mj wanted the drugs, he gave them to him.

people just want someone to blame.

Yes Michael was a drug addict, but the doctor still broke the law by when he gave Michael propofol outside of a hospital and for that he does have some responsibility in Michael's death.

idk

I don't think the dr should be on trial. mj wanted the drugs, he gave them to him.

Yes Michael was a drug addict, but the doctor still broke the law by when he gave Michael propofol outside of a hospital and for that he does have some responsibility in Michael's death.

then just take his licensee. trial is waste of time and money, and seriously does anyone really think dr. murray should go to jail?

idk

then just take his licensee. trial is waste of time and money, and seriously does anyone really think dr. murray should go to jail?

Absolutely. Patients trust their lives in the hands of Doctors. Being struck off is hardly justice for somebody who's needlessly died because some schmuck didn't do their job properly.

Edited by Towelie

idk

Absolutely. Patients trust their lives in the hands of Doctors. Being struck off is hardly justice for somebody who's needlessly died because some schmuck didn't do their job properly.

are you kidding me? MJ fans will defend him in every regard, it's hilarious. you will probably sit here and say he didn't have problems, even though numerous people claim he touched children.

fact is MJ was a drug addict for years and experimented with many substances, some say he even dabbled with meth, coke, even heroin. the doctor was just another yes man for the secluded MJ, he did everything Michael told him to do.

now, MJ is arguably the greatest entertainer of all time, but you CANNOT blame the doctor for his downfall. someone "didn't do their job correctly" :rofl-lol: . I'd say he did his job damn well, being a yes man. Michael should have been in rehab years ago, obviously many other people didn't do their job correctly or he wouldn't have been in this terrible state. MJ's body showed signs of IV injection for YEARS. the fact that he even had a doctor on call everyday to ad-mister this type of treatment on a regular basis is beyond ridiculous.

idk

are you kidding me? MJ fans will defend him in every regard, it's hilarious. you will probably sit here and say he didn't have problems, even though numerous people claim he touched children.

fact is MJ was a drug addict for years and experimented with many substances, some say he even dabbled with meth, coke, even heroin. the doctor was just another yes man for the secluded MJ, he did everything Michael told him to do.

now, MJ is arguably the greatest entertainer of all time, but you CANNOT blame the doctor for his downfall. someone "didn't do their job correctly" :rofl-lol: . I'd say he did his job damn well, being a yes man. Michael should have been in rehab years ago, obviously many other people didn't do their job correctly or he wouldn't have been in this terrible state. MJ's body showed signs of IV injection for YEARS. the fact that he even had a doctor on call everyday to ad-mister this type of treatment on a regular basis is beyond ridiculous.

Your point is??

MJ didn't die of a heroin overdose he died of a propofol overdose which is a sleeping aid administered to Michael the day he died by Conrad Murray. A doctor is not supposed to leave the room while a patient is on propofol. Phone records and eye witnesses prove that Doctor Murray left Michael alone in his bedroom for up to 45 minutes. Michael Jackson was slowly slipping away while Doctor Murray chatted on the phone to his girlfriend in another room. FACT. What MJ may or may not have taken in the past is irrelevant. Yes, he admitted to abusing pain medication in 1993, and I'm sure the full extent of his drug dependency went way beyond that, but it doesn't change the fact that Michael Jackson died of a propofol overdose at the hands of a negligent Doctor. You believing he's a paedophile drug addict doesn't make Doctor Murray innocent.

Edited by Towelie

idk

Your point is??

my point is that MJ was a drug addict, and his habit ended up killing him. you can place the blame on whomever you which, but in the end it's Michael who wanted the drugs.

What MJ may or may not have taken in the past is irrelevant.

it's completely relevant, because had he not be a drug addict, none of this would have happened in the first place.

my point is that MJ was a drug addict, and his habit ended up killing him. you can place the blame on whomever you which, but in the end it's Michael who wanted the drugs.

What a stupid thing to say. A Doctor has a responsibility to act in the best interests of his patient. The fact is, Dr Murray was in another room chatting on a mobile to his girlfriend for 45 minutes while MJ was slipping into a coma in the next room. And you don't think the Doctor has any responsibility in his death????

had he not be a drug addict, none of this would have happened in the first place.

He didn't die of an overdose to recreational drugs you fool, he died of a lethal dose of a sleeping aid. MJ was an insomniac and was desperate to sleep. Michael had been using propofol to sleep for over 12 years, yet two months after hiring Doctor Murray he died. You do the math.

What a stupid thing to say. A Doctor has a responsibility to act in the best interests of his patient. The fact is, Dr Murray was in another room chatting on a mobile to his girlfriend for 45 minutes while MJ was slipping into a coma in the next room. And you don't think the Doctor has any responsibility in his death????

had he not be a drug addict, none of this would have happened in the first place.

He didn't die of an overdose to recreational drugs you fool, he died of a lethal dose of a sleeping aid. MJ was an insomniac and was desperate to sleep. Michael had been using propofol to sleep for over 12 years, yet two months after hiring Doctor Murray he died. You do the math.

Sigh.

Think about this logically for a second... What kind of normal person, has a doctor administer IV drugs to someone night in, and night out. Conrad Murray was YES MAN, no NORMAL PERSON could have this kind of treatment. I never said Michael used Propofol for over 12 years, I said that he was IV'd drugs on a nightly basis in order to sleep. This has been proven.

You defend this because Michael had "trouble sleeping"? Insomnia? So it's ok, for a doctor to IV him drugs regularly for him to sleep? Wow. You must be blind or ignorant. Maybe a little of both. The fact is that he switched to Diprivan because his body had become IMMUNE to the other sleep aids he was already abusing. Over time your body grows a tolerance to a drug, just like any other drug addict, and he required something more potent.

Get a grip bro. He died because he was an addict. It's like pinning a drug dealer for someones death after they sold the drugs to someone. Yeah sure, Conrad was supposed to be watching the IV, but Jesus Christ, you can't blame anyone but Michael for his own abuse. It had gotten out of control and he should have been in rehab years ago like I first stated.

Edited by Forsaken

Sigh.

Think about this logically for a second... What kind of normal person, has a doctor administer IV drugs to someone night in, and night out. Conrad Murray was YES MAN, no NORMAL PERSON could have this kind of treatment. I never said Michael used Propofol for over 12 years, I said that he was IV'd drugs on a nightly basis in order to sleep. This has been proven.

You defend this because Michael had "trouble sleeping"? Insomnia? So it's ok, for a doctor to IV him drugs regularly for him to sleep? Wow. You must be blind or ignorant. Maybe a little of both. The fact is that he switched to Diprivan because his body had become IMMUNE to the other sleep aids he was already abusing. Over time your body grows a tolerance to a drug, just like any other drug addict, and he required something more potent.

Get a grip bro. He died because he was an addict. It's like pinning a drug dealer for someones death after they sold the drugs to someone. Yeah sure, Conrad was supposed to be watching the IV, but Jesus Christ, you can't blame anyone but Michael for his own abuse. It had gotten out of control and he should have been in rehab years ago like I first stated.

I'm not disputing that it's fucked up to be on a IV drip to get to sleep but that doesn't change anything.

You call Dr Murray a yes man as if that somehow excuses his actions. Are you denying Conrad Murray acted negligently? That's what this case is about. The reason the likes of Elvis, MJ, Marilyn all died young and fucked up on drugs is because of these sycophantic doctors with dollar signs in their eyes who would rather keep their patients strung out on all kinds of shit than get them the help they really need.

Michael's alleged past drug use has nothing to do with whether Conrad Murray acted negliently by leaving his patient alone on propofol for 45 minutes. That's a fact and one which will probably send Murray to jail. Your warped defense of Murray just carrying out the orders of his boss is absurd and would be laughed out of court. Thank God you're not representing Murray's defense. lol

Ok, so now you are at least acknowledging that MJ was an addict. I'm not really defending Conrad Murray, I just think it's kind of ridiculous to throw the entire blame on him because of Michaels drug habits. Yes, he was giving Michael IV's and should have been paying attention. I get that much. My point is that none of this would have occurred had Michael not have been an addict, had he not surrounded himself with nothing but Yes Men, and would have tried to seek professional help. Not professional drug administers.

because of these sycophantic doctors with dollar signs in their eyes who would rather keep their patients strung out on all kinds of shit than get them the help they really need.

Exactly!!!! Michael had to have known what he was getting himself into, and what kind of drugs he was taking. My guess is that at some point in time he just didn't care.

Ok, so now you are at least acknowledging that MJ was an addict. I'm not really defending Conrad Murray, I just think it's kind of ridiculous to throw the entire blame on him because of Michaels drug habits. Yes, he was giving Michael IV's and should have been paying attention. I get that much. My point is that none of this would have occurred had Michael not have been an addict, had he not surrounded himself with nothing but Yes Men, and would have tried to seek professional help. Not professional drug administers.

because of these sycophantic doctors with dollar signs in their eyes who would rather keep their patients strung out on all kinds of shit than get them the help they really need.

Exactly!!!! Michael had to have known what he was getting himself into, and what kind of drugs he was taking. My guess is that at some point in time he just didn't care.

Of course Michael has to take a large part of the blame. But what's the point in pointing fingers at a dead man? He's paid the price for his wrecklessness, and now it's only right that Doctor Murray should pay the price as well. Yes, MJ was probably always going to end up dying this way, but the fact is if he had never met Murray he would likely still be alive today.

Hippocratic oath includes:

"I will prescribe regimens for the good of my patients according to my ability and my judgment and never do harm to anyone."

Dr was only partly responsible, but has to answer to his part.