Is Rio '11 going to be business as usual?

GNR 1991

Historically, in 2008 and 2009, GN'R had some decent build-up to whatever was going down. In 2008, you had Dr Pepper, Rock Band 2, album release, Best Buy, etc. In 2009, you had the weird tourdates in Taiwan, the LAX incident, Axl making a Twitter, the band playing never-before-played songs on tour. Bottom line, there was something somewhat enticing there.

Now, we head into the summer, and it's beginning to look a lot like 2004 here. Fortus is joining Thin Lizzy on a summer tour, and the rest of the band is doing other things. The only anything on the radar, is the Rock in Rio show in October. Now, here's my question. Is nothing from here till Rio going to happen, do you reckon? Is Rio going to be a one-off and then back to dead silence? I'm not convinced at this point, that management or the band has anything truly planned this year, which is to be expected and is so goddamn disappointing. I'm hoping they prove me wrong though.

What does everyone else think? By the way, if this site goes under, which I'm hoping it doesn't, I have to go to HTGTH for show updates and news? Bah fucking humbug!

'

Guest siliconmessiah

Rock In Rio will indeed be business as usual.

It will be cancelled.

Edited by siliconmessiah

Guest siliconmessiah

Axl will do the cash n' grab.

We´ll see.

I don´t think he´ll even do the cash & grab this time.

I have a feeling that some of the guys in the band don´t wanna be a simple cover act for Slash & Bucket. The lack of the band not working together and releasing music together has killed it.

Therefore - no Rock In Rio.

I think there´ll be a semi-reunion (maybe izzy will join, and buckethead, and finck) in a couple of years though. Guess they will travel the world playing the fuck out of the AFD songs.

Edited by siliconmessiah

I think Axl and friends will show up for Rio, but we won't hear anything from Axl until he comes on stage. Then Axl's band will go back into dormant mode.

Should read: "Then Axl's band will collect cheque for their nice nostalgia act and will go back into dormant mode. Axl will then retreat into his bedroom and eat pizzas until his money runs out. The band will be the on call hired guns that they are". *Repeat process.

I think Axl and friends will show up for Rio, but we won't hear anything from Axl until he comes on stage. Then Axl's band will go back into dormant mode.

Should read: "Then Axl's band will collect cheque for their nice nostalgia act and will go back into dormant mode. Axl will then retreat into his bedroom and eat pizzas until his money runs out. The band will be the on call hired guns that they are". *Repeat process.

i dont think axls money will run out for a very long time, even getting a take away every night!

I don't think the close of an unofficial GNR forum has any bearing on Rio. Axl will do the cash n' grab. Sing the same old songs with the cover band. They will take a private jet and Axl will sit in the front row. There will be no new album, Better video, or promo pic of the band.

I agree w/ur first statement. An unofficial fan site has nothing to do w/what any band is up to, much less GN'R.

"Cash n' grab," I don't see it that way. When any band tours it's for $$$ and there's nothing wrong w/that.

Cover band, far from it. You're too busy living in the past to open up to what's great here and now. So what if they also sing some old material - r u saying they should deny the fans hearing it live????

There'll be a new album when Axl's good and ready. Same goes for videos, promo etc. It's his perogative, not yours, not mine or anyone else's.

I don't think the close of an unofficial GNR forum has any bearing on Rio. Axl will do the cash n' grab. Sing the same old songs with the cover band. They will take a private jet and Axl will sit in the front row. There will be no new album, Better video, or promo pic of the band.

I agree w/ur first statement. An unofficial fan site has nothing to do w/what any band is up to, much less GN'R.

"Cash n' grab," I don't see it that way. When any band tours it's for $$$ and there's nothing wrong w/that.

Cover band, far from it. You're too busy living in the past to open up to what's great here and now. So what if they also sing some old material - r u saying they should deny the fans hearing it live????

There'll be a new album when Axl's good and ready. Same goes for videos, promo etc. It's his perogative, not yours, not mine or anyone else's.

Wow, Junglecat's post just won MYGNRFORUM. Seriously, I agree with everything you just said. Well played, well played indeed.

Well said.

I'll be soo disappointed if we get 'straight-off-the-couch, rusty, fat, out-of-breath-Axl' for RIR11.

For the one show from which we got pro-shot vids, Reading, the performance wasn't the greatest - I don't even watch those vids, I prefer other ones.

So, fingers crossed for lots of rehearsals or warm-up shows or some touring prior to RIR11.

i dont think axls money will run out for a very long time, even getting a take away every night!

depends if he is getting a thin crust or deep pan?

A date in october is soon to be announced, GNR will play in Argentina again. Once i get more details ill post them, but T4F (the ones that organized the last SA tour) are bringin them again this year. They will play here =) http://www.google.com.ar/search?q=estadio%20unico%20de%20la%20plata&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=es&tab=wi&biw=1152&bih=739

Edited by AGS

I don't see how any of that has to do with the cover band comment. Guys like Ron, Fortus, and Ashba have only worked on someone else's stuff their whole time with Axl.

I'm sure they're dying to do their own ideas in the band, but up to this point, what they've done is akin to what a session guy does or a cover band player does, which is come in, learn the songs, play the songs.

I don't see how any of that has to do with the cover band comment. Guys like Ron, Fortus, and Ashba have only worked on someone else's stuff their whole time with Axl.

I'm sure they're dying to do their own ideas in the band, but up to this point, what they've done is akin to what a session guy does or a cover band player does, which is come in, learn the songs, play the songs.

Ashba, yes. But Ron did his own solos on CD, and 4tus has been in the band for 9 years, i'm sure he has had some input in the CD songs.

Guest RonMexico82

I'd love to see them play all of Chinese Democracy from start to finish and nothing else, except maybe Oh My God and Silkworms and maybe a new song.