Why can't Guns maintain a steady line-up?

Towelie

I cannot be bothered to go through this old thread but I am sure there was a moment in which an Axl-loony said ''this is the most stable line up of gnr ever'' and that ''Stinson has played bass in gnr much longer than McKagan''.

Why would it take an "Axl-loony" to point out things that are apparent to anyone with a semi-functioning brain?
  • Like 3

I cannot be bothered to go through this old thread but I am sure there was a moment in which an Axl-loony said ''this is the most stable line up of gnr ever'' and that ''Stinson has played bass in gnr much longer than McKagan''.

Why would it take an "Axl-loony" to point out things that are apparent to anyone with a semi-functioning brain?

Missing out on the obvious fact that these hacks have done fuck all.

How does the fact that they've done fuck all effect the time they've spent in the band in any way? There is no correlation there whatsoever. Edited by Damn_Smooth

How does the fact that they've done fuck all effect the time they've spent in the band in any way? There is no correlation there whatsoever.

It is an academic point. I never said it is an incorrect point. Being in the band a long time, is not a terribly impressive statement when all you have done is cover other people's music. It merely means, you are better at sucking ginger dick than Slash and Duff ever were.

How does the fact that they've done fuck all effect the time they've spent in the band in any way? There is no correlation there whatsoever.

It is an academic point. I never said it is an incorrect point. Being in the band a long time, is not a terribly impressive statement when all you have done is cover other people's music. It merely means, you are better at sucking ginger dick than Slash and Duff ever were.

There is only one person in the band that has done nothing besides cover other people's music and even though I sometimes am suspect of his sexuality I don't think ginger would let him suck his dick.
  • Like 1

I'm not talking about the old band, we all heard those stories a hundred times... I'm talking about NuGuns. Other than Tommy and Dizzy, no-one from any incarnation of NuGuns has stood the distance. Buckethead left, Finck was fired/left, Brain left, Josh Freese came and went... the list goes on.

Do you think it's Axl's stop-start approach to recording new music that drives these musicians away? Or do these guys view being in the band as just another job? It's not like these guys have any emotional or sentimental attatchment to Guns (certainly not like the old band would).

I sometimes wonder how Axl views the revolving-door policy of the last decade. It must be frustrating - there's a new member in the band with practically every tour these days. Perhaps this is why we've yet to hear anymore material from the CD-era... Maybe Axl doesn't know what to do or how to market material that was written and recorded by members who are no longer around??

probably because of the singer; considering he's the dictator/ring leader............just a guess

As to "covering other people's music"...well, that's actually what most professional musicians do, isn't it? Go see a symphony or an opera; the orchestra in the pit didn't write that music. There's no shame in finding work where you can.

I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be. Dizzy, Chris Pittman, Tommy Stinson and Richard Fortus have been there for the long haul. tThat's four out of seven. The two other guitar spots and the drummer have been the only turnovers, really. And with those - two of the guitarists stuck around for six years (Finck, more or less, and BBF). Ashba's already been in for five years. Brain was there from what, 2001 - 2007; and Ferrer has been on since then - five years. Paul Tobias was associated from 1995-ish to 2001 or later.

Since 2000, Buckethead has really been the only one who went quickly, and we've talked about the fact that there seems to have been tension between him and other band members.

As to why people leave, there are probably all sorts of reasons. Assuming BBF really did leave, we know he wasn't happy about the way things were managed. Some of them probably get frustrated with the lack of recording; some probably don't like management strategies; some simply probably have other things to do. All of them seem to have other projects going on, and I'd guess that they're more emotionally invested in those. The only question is really if GnR conflicts with their personal projects. Medium job tenure for any job is between 4 and 6 years; it's not a suprise that people want to move on and do something else. Joining a band isn't a lifetime commitment. particularly if it's not a band you founded.

Edited by stella

As to "covering other people's music"...well, that's actually what most professional musicians do, isn't it? Go see a symphony or an opera; the orchestra in the pit didn't write that music. There's no shame in finding work where you can.

I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be. Dizzy, Chris Pittman, Tommy Stinson and Richard Fortus have been there for the long haul. tThat's four out of seven. The two other guitar spots and the drummer have been the only turnovers, really. And with those - two of the guitarists stuck around for six years (Finck, more or less, and BBF). Ashba's already been in for five years. Brain was there from what, 2001 - 2007; and Ferrer has been on since then - five years. Paul Tobias was associated from 1995-ish to 2001 or later.

Since 2000, Buckethead has really been the only one who went quickly, and we've talked about the fact that there seems to have been tension between him and other band members.

As to why people leave, there are probably all sorts of reasons. Assuming BBF really did leave, we know he wasn't happy about the way things were managed. Some of them probably get frustrated with the lack of recording; some probably don't like management strategies; some simply probably have other things to do. All of them seem to have other projects going on, and I'd guess that they're more emotionally invested in those. The only question is really if GnR conflicts with their personal projects. Medium job tenure for any job is between 4 and 6 years; it's not a suprise that people want to move on and do something else. Joining a band isn't a lifetime commitment. particularly if it's not a band you founded.

Bollocks.

The obvious reason why they all leave is because Rose is a complete wanker. He is the only constant, between then, and now. Logically, he can be the only reason. This is why Slash, Duff and Izzy left, why Bucket and Robin left. Probably this is why Tracii Guns left. Steven probably began frying his brain with medication to deal with Axl's bullshit. Matt was fired for defending Slash and Gilby was fired for reasons, unknown to all except ginger bollocks, so this is more evidence of Rose's wankiness.

Bollocks.

The obvious reason why they all leave is because Rose is a complete wanker. He is the only constant, between then, and now. Logically, he can be the only reason. This is why Slash, Duff and Izzy left, why Bucket and Robin left. Probably this is why Tracii Guns left. Steven probably began frying his brain with medication to deal with Axl's bullshit. Matt was fired for defending Slash and Gilby was fired for reasons, unknown to all except ginger bollocks, so this is more evidence of Rose's wankiness.

Don't forget Brain. I don't believe he's part of the GNR "family" anymore either. I wonder why...

Bollocks.

Don't forget Brain. I don't believe he's part of the GNR "family" anymore either. I wonder why...

Brain played with them in 2012 for a full show, and did all the remixes, so I think he's part of the GNR family that's behind Steven. To Axl, Brain's loyalty is invaluable.
  • Like 3

It's been Fairly stable since 2006 only minus fink right? That's what 8 years of the same lineup? Well ashba got here in 09? but watever irrelevant guitarist so far. Anyone who has an opportunity better than GNR will and has left. Fink left because he could still have his high profile gig with nin and apparently he's working on his own stuff? That's why bumble will not confirm he's leaving he doesn't have a better gig he just doesn't. Maybe he's saved up enough dough to chill and do his solo shit but I doubt it. The gig is what it is axls hired gun. If your lucky he lets you go to the studio and pretend your coming out on the next album.

Bollocks.

LOL. You're funny.

1. Even Steven hasn't been stupid enough to blame his drug addiction on Axl. By his own admission he's been a druggie since he was in junior high school and he hung out with other users. And if he needed to medicate for anything, I would imagine his horrific family situation and teenage prostitution/abuse would have been it.

2. Tracii Guns has had a hard time working with people ever since the 80s. Ever wonder why there have been two versions of LA Guns touring at times? Numerous musicians have said he's not a good person to work with. He tried to return to GnR in the 2000s. Axl said no.

3. With the new band, every single ex-member, except for Bucket, has remained on good terms with Axl. Josh Freese and Paul Tobias kept working with Axl behind the scenes for years after they left the touring lineup. Brain has spoken well of Axl in the press and has played with him again. Robin has also played with him again. They don't hate Axl and I doubt they'd remain professionally associated with him if they felt he was that horrible.

4. Three ex-members have spoken out about their dissatisfaction: Buckethead said he felt bullied by other band members - not Axl. Robin expressed disappointment with cancellations - more of a management thing than Axl directly. Bumblefoot also expressed dissatisfaction with touring and communication from management, as well as shunning from other band members - again, not Axl.

Nobody's ever said that Axl's the easiest person in the world to work with, and his poor decisions (such as hiring Merck and Team Brazil as managers) have led to problems. Yes, he was the catalyst for everyone except Steven's departure (every single bandmember had to sign off on firing Steven, not just Axl) in the classic lineup...but to say that every band member in NuGuns left simply because he's a wanker is pretty short-sighted and ridiculous. The dynamic and situation are totally different. These people are hired and they take the job knowing full well what Axl is like. People do leave jobs after a while when they discover they're no longer a good fit. They don't have to leave because they're throwing their toys across the room and having arguments.

It's been Fairly stable since 2006 only minus fink right? That's what 8 years of the same lineup? Well ashba got here in 09? but watever irrelevant guitarist so far. Anyone who has an opportunity better than GNR will and has left. Fink left because he could still have his high profile gig with nin and apparently he's working on his own stuff? That's why bumble will not confirm he's leaving he doesn't have a better gig he just doesn't. Maybe he's saved up enough dough to chill and do his solo shit but I doubt it. The gig is what it is axls hired gun. If your lucky he lets you go to the studio and pretend your coming out on the next album.

Finck and Brain. That's still a lineup that has been together for eight years...longer than the classic Appetite lineup.

Edited by stella

I recall reading people saying Tommy Stuson was a "legendary" GNR member. :lol:

Sometimes I do miss those cupcakes...

Did you know Timmy has been a member of GNR longer than Diff?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Timmy Stuson's bass playing is legendary and has influenced dozens of bassists- the loyalty of THE GENERAL to Alex Ross ensures his spot as the #1 bassist for the GNR.

• Like 3

People who find themselves low on life's totem pole seem to stay around Axl for as long as possible:

A soon-to-be homeless keyboard player (Dizzy)

A Housekeeper (Beta)

The Housekeeper's son (Fernando)

A Call Centre worker who rode a BMX to work (Tommy)

An internet GNR worshipper (Jarmo)

An alcoholic writer and out of work ex-musician (Dell)

These people had and have no ace at Axl's table, this is why they stay around, never complain and say all is great.

Put Axl in a band like U2 where every man has an equal say and I'd give the guy 5 days before he storms back to his mansion issuing a blizzard of almost indecipherable responses and allegations against those he shared the podium with.

• Like 1

People who find themselves low on life's totem pole seem to stay around Axl for as long as possible:

A soon-to-be homeless keyboard player (Dizzy)

A Housekeeper (Beta)

The Housekeeper's son (Fernando)

A Call Centre worker who rode a BMX to work (Tommy)

An internet GNR worshipper (Jarmo)

An alcoholic writer and out of work ex-musician (Dell)

These people had and have no ace at Axl's table, this is why they stay around, never complain and say all is great.

Put Axl in a band like U2 where every man has an equal say and I'd give the guy 5 days before he storms back to his mansion issuing a blizzard of almost indecipherable responses and allegations against those he shared the podium with.

The fact that there's nobody around him that is willing to say 'no' is a huge problem. Nobody wants to make him angry because he turns into the proverbial Hulk - dealing with someone with anger issues and mental illness is soul draining on a good day, and they're trying to avoid meltdowns - but it hurts Axl in the long run. By hiring his band he's in total control; I don't know if he'd even know how to work in a community band setting anymore.

I have never seen my theory that Axl is a complete tossspot seriously challenged. All these band members - all 21 of them - producers, ex-managers, girlfriends, cannot all be lying. In tosser stakes, Axl is up there with Gene Simmons and Ted Nugent, but, slightly behind Gary Glitter, for 'rock's biggest wanker'.

• Like 1

Axl is the main reason classic (87-93) GNR broke-up and the only reason NuGNR never really took off. You just have to look at how the ex-band members all left and how productive and happy they are with their current projects. I'll never understand how people can really blame a label that invested almost 15 million dollars in an album or guys who were interested in moving the band forward but had to wait for Axl to show up in the studio at 5 am...

• Like 3

I have never seen my theory that Axl is a complete tossspot seriously challenged. All these band members - all 21 of them - producers, ex-managers, girlfriends, cannot all be lying. In tosser stakes, Axl is up there with Gene Simmons and Ted Nugent, but, slightly behind Gary Glitter, for 'rock's biggest wanker'.

C'mon, Axl never molested anybody.

C'mon, Axl never molested anybody.

I said, he was behind Glitter, didn't I?