Why can't Guns maintain a steady line-up?

Towelie

It would not surprise me if we see a lineup change at RIR,I would like to see Mr.Thal and Mr.Pittman hit the bricks <_<

Not a chance. This lineup is here to stay

Don't get me wrong I love the new lineup, but people said the exact same thing about the 2002 lineup... and the 2006 lineup...

I agree I think Deep Purple is a better example but I don't consider the current band to really be Deep Purple. For me that band died when Ritchie Blackmore left........

even if ppl get past the name thing, they don't really even sound much like Purple

Chinese Democracy comes to mind.

Chinese Democracy sounds like a modern version of guns n roses, you 80's mullethead.

Nice one! :thumbsup:

I'm not talking about the old band, we all heard those stories a hundred times... I'm talking about NuGuns. Other than Tommy and Dizzy, no-one from any incarnation of NuGuns has stood the distance. Buckethead left, Finck was fired/left, Brain left, Josh Freese came and went... the list goes on.

Do you think it's Axl's stop-start approach to recording new music that drives these musicians away? Or do these guys view being in the band as just another job? It's not like these guys have any emotional or sentimental attatchment to Guns (certainly not like the old band would).

I sometimes wonder how Axl views the revolving-door policy of the last decade. It must be frustrating - there's a new member in the band with practically every tour these days. Perhaps this is why we've yet to hear anymore material from the CD-era... Maybe Axl doesn't know what to do or how to market material that was written and recorded by members who are no longer around??

You missed Chris Pittman. Brain had a child and is still associated with the band/was doing that remix stuff very recently. Josh was a long time ago and never played a single show with Guns, he was a studio guy.

Finck left to do Nine Inch Nail's farewell tour/other reasons I don't know.

Paul Huge was never really comfy playing with the band live from what I've read and Richard replaced him and has been there since 2002.

Ever see Iron Maiden's membership change chart? Makes GN'R's look simple.

In the end, I like the current lineup the most since the original, so I don't really care too much.

Except most of Iron Maiden's lineup changes happened before they recorded their first album.

Let's not compare apples and oranges here. Maiden has released how many more albums than GNR?

GNR:

AFD

Lies

UYI I

UYI II

CD

Iron Maiden:

Iron Maiden

Killers

The Number of the Beast

Piece of Mind

Powerslave

Somewhere in Time

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

No Prayer For The Dying

Fear of the Dark

X-Factor

Virtual XI

Brave New World

Dance of Death

A Matter of Life and Death

The Final Frontier

Not to mention the countless live DVDs and live CDs that Maiden has put out, along with monumental world tours. Yeah, they've had a few lineup changes (mainly singers), but they've also had a much larger amount of material. Oh, and they're still on tour. And Lies barely counts as an album.

Yes but as you said they mostly changed singers, in the GNR case the singer changed the band members :D xD

It would not surprise me if we see a lineup change at RIR,I would like to see Mr.Thal and Mr.Pittman hit the bricks <_<

Not a chance. This lineup is here to stay

Don't get me wrong I love the new lineup, but people said the exact same thing about the 2002 lineup... and the 2006 lineup...

I didn't like the 2002 lineup or the 2006 much, now it's the best as it can be without Izzy, Slash n Duff(Ron Thal, DJ and Fortus are better technicians and shredders then Izzy and Slash, but Slash n Izzy carry more soul of the band and more creativity). I was at their concert in Serbia and Croatia, it was fucking amazing (you can't judge the lineup if you haven't heard them live).

the latest line up does put on better show than bucket line up. but they did the studio magic.

True, while Bucket plays the hell out of DJ Ashba, the guy's got charisma and stage presence to spare, and they actually look like a rock band now. Plus Axl's in better shape. But I'd rather have a Bucket solo on a new song than a DJ one, based on what I've heard.

the latest line up does put on better show than bucket line up. but they did the studio magic.

True, while Bucket plays the hell out of DJ Ashba, the guy's got charisma and stage presence to spare, and they actually look like a rock band now. Plus Axl's in better shape. But I'd rather have a Bucket solo on a new song than a DJ one, based on what I've heard.

Bucket is a shredder Ron is a shredder, Bucket is hard to cooperate with, even Ozzy said so. And the GNR needed to sound more bluesy(btw Slash gave that to the band with all his solos and the way he played the guitar) , so they did what they had to do.

Guest siliconmessiah

Bucket is a shredder Ron is a shredder, Bucket is hard to cooperate with, even Ozzy said so. And the GNR needed to sound more bluesy(btw Slash gave that to the band with all his solos and the way he played the guitar) , so they did what they had to do.

Many GNR-fans (me included) seem to rather like Buckets melodic style of shredding, compared to Bumblefoots psycha/funkadelica-style.

Although, Bumble should have some cred for trying to do interviews and reach out to fans (even though avoiding the future plans and comments on gnr-subject, á la Axls gag-order gets a little laughable at times).

When it comes to DJ...he replaced Finck, who was starting to really grow into his place in GNR, he was badass during the 2006-tour! DJ is just a lousy tool in my opinion, just don´t like him at all.

Edited by siliconmessiah

Many GNR-fans (me included) seem to rather like Buckets melodic style of shredding, compared to Bumblefoots psycha/funkadelica-style.

Although, Bumble should have some cred for trying to do interviews and reach out to fans (even though avoiding the future plans and comments on gnr-subject, á la Axls gag-order gets a little laughable at times).

When it comes to DJ...he replaced Finck, who was starting to really grow into his place in GNR, he was badass during the 2006-tour! DJ is just a lousy tool in my opinion, just don´t like him at all.

Guns n Roses had a bad rep and first of all they had an unique image with all this different people with different styles coming together and looking like rock stars.When you compare Buckethead Finck and Ashba, DJ looks more like a "rock star"(they are all pro players and their skills are pretty much the same, and no matter how amazing skills do you have , if u are fucking Jimmy Hendrix GNR are a band and you can't go on soloing for hours) so I think it came down to the look and that DJ played blues.

By the way in all of that I got a feeling that DJ is forcing that ROCK attitude and that look. When I see him with a cigar on stage I get feeling that he'll choke on it, Slash smoked those Marlboro's with style and because he was addicted to them. DJ is more like a high-school kid trying to fit in.

As sad as it looks I think that he won't be leaving the GNR soon, because he's a kiss-ass :):D

Guest siliconmessiah

DJ looks more like a "rock star"

I am not going into comparing different guitarists here, as we all have different opinions.

But as I said, In my opinion, DJ Ashba feels "false" with his ugly hat on and he is more of a product. His hat and constant reffering to his homepage and his products really is boring.

Robin Finck seemed more the "real deal". He evolved enormously during his GNR-years, and as I said. I hope that Axl once again, in time could bring Robin and Bucket to the table again, to make more of CD-magic.

Robin_Finck.jpg

DJ looks more like a "rock star"

I am not going into comparing different guitarists here, as we all have different opinions.

But as I said, In my opinion, DJ Ashba feels "false" with his ugly hat on and he is more of a product. His hat and constant reffering to his homepage and his products really is boring.

Robin Finck seemed more the "real deal". He evolved enormously during his GNR-years, and as I said. I hope that Axl once again, in time could bring Robin and Bucket to the table again, to make more of CD-magic.

Robin_Finck.jpg

Yeah, 2006-Tour Robin looked like he belonged there, but friggin' Rock in Rio/VMA Robin was just sad. In the end, However, one thing he kinda lacks and that DJ's got is charisma, you know... DJ knows how to get your attention during a live show (even if 80% of the time it's by being a Slash mime) while, I might be wrong but, Robin was kinda kept to himself. And with Buckethead being Buckethead, when you seem 'em live you kinda wished they interacted a bit more with the crowd, ya know... But of course, I have nothing to complain about their skills or songwriting (specially Finck with Better).

Guest siliconmessiah

Yeah, 2006-Tour Robin looked like he belonged there, but friggin' Rock in Rio/VMA Robin was just sad.

I agree. And that´s why it was fantastic to see him evolve into this rock star.

On the 2006 tour, he reached out to fans a lot, had pictures taken of him everywhere, he was one of the coolest guys in the band...

Makes me just sad that it fell apart there.

I'm not talking about the old band, we all heard those stories a hundred times... I'm talking about NuGuns. Other than Tommy and Dizzy, no-one from any incarnation of NuGuns has stood the distance. Buckethead left, Finck was fired/left, Brain left, Josh Freese came and went... the list goes on.

Do you think it's Axl's stop-start approach to recording new music that drives these musicians away? Or do these guys view being in the band as just another job? It's not like these guys have any emotional or sentimental attatchment to Guns (certainly not like the old band would).

I sometimes wonder how Axl views the revolving-door policy of the last decade. It must be frustrating - there's a new member in the band with practically every tour these days. Perhaps this is why we've yet to hear anymore material from the CD-era... Maybe Axl doesn't know what to do or how to market material that was written and recorded by members who are no longer around??

You missed Chris Pittman. Brain had a child and is still associated with the band/was doing that remix stuff very recently. Josh was a long time ago and never played a single show with Guns, he was a studio guy.

Finck left to do Nine Inch Nail's farewell tour/other reasons I don't know.

Paul Huge was never really comfy playing with the band live from what I've read and Richard replaced him and has been there since 2002.

Ever see Iron Maiden's membership change chart? Makes GN'R's look simple.

In the end, I like the current lineup the most since the original, so I don't really care too much.

Except most of Iron Maiden's lineup changes happened before they recorded their first album.

Let's not compare apples and oranges here. Maiden has released how many more albums than GNR?

GNR:

AFD

Lies

UYI I

UYI II

CD

Iron Maiden:

Iron Maiden

Killers

The Number of the Beast

Piece of Mind

Powerslave

Somewhere in Time

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

No Prayer For The Dying

Fear of the Dark

X-Factor

Virtual XI

Brave New World

Dance of Death

A Matter of Life and Death

The Final Frontier

Not to mention the countless live DVDs and live CDs that Maiden has put out, along with monumental world tours. Yeah, they've had a few lineup changes (mainly singers), but they've also had a much larger amount of material. Oh, and they're still on tour. And Lies barely counts as an album.

You forgot TSI, and before you say anything it still counts. It may have been an album of covers, but it is still a studio released album

Guns n Roses had a bad rep and first of all they had an unique image with all this different people with different styles coming together and looking like rock stars.When you compare Buckethead Finck and Ashba, DJ looks more like a "rock star"(they are all pro players and their skills are pretty much the same, and no matter how amazing skills do you have , if u are fucking Jimmy Hendrix GNR are a band and you can't go on soloing for hours) so I think it came down to the look and that DJ played blues.

By the way in all of that I got a feeling that DJ is forcing that ROCK attitude and that look. When I see him with a cigar on stage I get feeling that he'll choke on it, Slash smoked those Marlboro's with style and because he was addicted to them. DJ is more like a high-school kid trying to fit in.

As sad as it looks I think that he won't be leaving the GNR soon, because he's a kiss-ass :):D

Buckethead, Finck and Ashba's skills are pretty much the same!? Are you actually being serious? Finck's playing was littered with bum-notes and he was often playing in a different key to everyone else. Ashba is a Slash wannabe but sadly lacking Slash's quite obvious ability. Buckethead is technically leagues ahead of ANY guitarist that has been through the G n' R treadmill. Richard Fortus could blow the bollocks off of Finck and Ashba. They're just not very good! Quite how Axl never got pissed-off with Robin I really can't fathom.

• 3 years later...

The sad thing is that they have maintained a steady lineup for almost six years now, which makes Axl's refusal to make music with them all the more shameful.

Which puts to the rest the false myth of "Axl being unable to work with the other guys" and also "the other guys didn't want to work on new material, I'm the last man standing" bullshit. :rolleyes:

Edited by Nosaj Thing