My main problem with the current line-up

D..

It's pretty clear that right now, Axl is focused on a new album, so it'd be nice to see the whole band united and to be near Axl, to create new songs. Clearly, I'd like the old Buckethead/Finck songs out first, but maybe an album written by the current line-up could be great.

Instead of that, we have Bumblefoot promoting his new stuff, Ashba with the new Sixx Am album (I listened to it earlier today, I'm dating a rock journalist and she let me hear it... very mediocre album, except for one song that has some cool piano parts and a "Rhapsody of Fire" vibe, and Ashba's little solos here and there are really good and prove he could be a major asset in GNR, but the writing by Nikki Sixx and James Michael on this Sixx Am 2nd album is too obvious, too easy, I heard that kind of songs hundreds of time before, it's like Audioslave meets Velvet Revolver, and it's not very original nor good)...

They should be around Axl, correct me if I'm wrong, but during GNR's peak, the whole band was 100% committed to GNR concerning the "being in a band" part, they only had one band, one family and it was Guns N' Roses. Maybe Slash was doing some live performances with Michael jackson, but so what, Axl did do some live stuff with Queen for the Mercury Tribute show, it wasn't until the end of GNR that Slash did a solo project.

Nowadays, it's like each musician has 1, 2 or 3 side projects. This isn't good for music. I'm sorry but what I heard from Bumblefoot lately is poor, it's not worthy of his skills (nowhere near as good as "guitar sucks"), I'm not criticizing his solos, he's awesome at solos, but his abilities to write songs is random if he doesn't put 100% of himself in this, maybe he did, but clearly he needed more time, same goes for Ashba with Sixx Am (if he even wrote 1 complete song on the second album, but apparently he didn't)... if you don't commit 100% to your band, if you decide to have a "solo" project AND the "big brand stuff", it's not good for the music.

Guns N' Roses as of now has a terrible image in France, I didn't meet one single person that liked the show last year, whereas everyone loved the show in 2006. Reason? I'm not sure, and I'm a bit disappointed by that, because to me, technically and vocally, the 2010 show was superior, but I think that what is really missing here is the honesty and legitimity of this band. I'm not saying they are thieves or anything like that, they are good people, good musicians, but the fact that they don't commit a hundred per cent to Guns N' Roses is not good. It's not believable to concieve GNR as a genuine band, at least a genuine version of GNR, simply because everyone has a fucking solo side project.

A band isn't a football team, GNR now is like the "super soccer dream team" with Bumblefoot, DJ Ashba, Tommy Stinson, yeaah, rock n roll, VIP's... fuck that.

Don't use the "Axl isn't doing anything", "Guns N' Roses isn't doing anything", the band has toured for a full year. They have been working a lot, Guns N' Roses was well alive last year. But I don't think that now is a good time to have everyone dissipating around like "Yeah cool we did a great cash grab last year, now let's move on with our own stuff and wait for Axl to call us for the next album".

One good song is better than 10 mediocre songs like on that Sixx AM album or the second VR album. I think that the time used for the "solo projects" would be better used for GNR only.

I know I'm not expressing myself in the nicest way, but it's sad to see this society of invidualism everywhere, including in GNR. Now, GNR ain't a band, it's an addition of people each promoting themselves and not working for an ideal. Creating good music isn't about "jamming for fun", it's a very serious work that recquires a LOT of time, and when you create a masterpiece, you ain't got no time for any "solo project".

Again, I'm not saying Bumblefoot, or Ashba are bad people, and that they don't get along well with Axl. This is idiot drama, obviously, their relations are good, and when doing live stuff they are great.

But clearly, all of those guys all think more of a their personal achievments than in GNR achievment in the long run, and I don't understand how Axl can works properly as of now.

I hope I'm wrong on all the line and that the next album will be as good as CD.

I hope so. True about them taking some rest, but when I see a band like Muse... I know they are younger, but come on, those guys tour for 2 full years, then take some vacation (not working on any "side" project) and then record a new album. Why are they the biggest band in the world right now? Because of that.

Rereading what I've said, I just hope that it isn't Axl who is living in his world, excluding the other members from being 100% of the time with him. But I really doubt it's the case.

Yeah, I agree about Muse. The way I see it is that Guns are just a different type of band in comparison to Muse. I've sort of come to expect silent periods and lack of information. Whether that can be seen in a positive light or not is a whole other question.

It's pretty clear that right now, Axl is focused on a new album, so it'd be nice to see the whole band united and to be near Axl, to create new songs. Clearly, I'd like the old Buckethead/Finck songs out first, but maybe an album written by the current line-up could be great.

Id like you to show me any evidence at all that Axl is focused on a new album.

Guest siliconmessiah

He is holed up, counting money after another round of "The CD-tour" and thinking what musicians to employ for the next tour coming up in 5 years time, just like he has been over the last 17 years.

Some people, mostly new fans, does not realise that we actually waited from 1996-2008 for ONE ALBUM.

That scenario will play out again.

The intriguing facts about members in the MSL-leaks hurt the band more badly than people think.

Edited by siliconmessiah

There's not any evidence to suggest Axl is working on a new record, otherthan DJ saying they've tossed around a few ideas, there's nothing been said to that effect. But either way, Bumble said that for his parts on CD, they recorded inbetween legs on the 2006 tour, they may well have done that over the last year or so, assuming they're just adding parts to the old CD stuff. Bumble has said he wants to si and write proper songs with the current lineup, but it's never happened, so he goes and does this solo stuff instead.

He is holed up, counting money after another round of "The CD-tour" and thinking what musicians to employ for the next tour coming up in 5 years time, just like he has been over the last 17 years.

Some people, mostly new fans, does not realise that we actually waited from 1996-2008 for ONE ALBUM.

The intriguing facts about members in the MSL-leaks hurt the band more badly than people think.

No on knows what hes doing. Your basing these beliefs on what? Nothing, your just pissed that things aren't going exactly how you would like. Everyone knows this isn't your average band. It hasn't been for years so all this down time and lack of information can be expected. Surely you know this? And the so called intriguing facts about band members hurting more than we know? Strange how they all speak highly of each other in interviews still.

I have never had a problem with the solo projects. Keeps the guys busy wihen there isn't any other income and keeps them fresh with idea's. Also probably keeps them up on new tech. stuff.

dude...

don't take your disappointment for not getting in at that D'Arc show,

so that you can claim that no one in France! hello? liked GNR show at Bercy.

that's 1.

2. GNR is Axl's band. and it works in his terms.

so it's quite clear that the band members got hands free to do whatever until The General

calls the troops.

3. Bomblefoot expressed time and again that they could do more to establish the current band as a band of their own.

4. again - GNR is Axl's band, so the guy has his vision on it,

and until he gets out the rest of Chinese Democracy era, the players he has now,

will not be committed by him to work on a new fresh album.

5. If I was Axl - which is just a funny statement - I would put out the rest of the material

as a double album, even if each of them would have 18 songs on them.

so, with that out of the way, and with the fans Stuck Inside of 30 songs or so,

that will get you, as a band time to work on new stuff.

as just Chinese Democracy it self fed The People for 2 and a half years now, then I bet that an double album,

will get you 4 years easy if not 20 - in GNR time machine.

6. GNR is Axl's band so please start from there with any likes or dislikes about it.

7. cheer up mate! GNR are better than Muse. Chinese Democracy is the best rock album in the last 13 years prior and after it combined, so relax. the next GNR record will rock even harder.

Edited by STARABOSTES

Guest siliconmessiah

No on knows what hes doing. Your basing these beliefs on what? Nothing, your just pissed that things aren't going exactly how you would like. Everyone knows this isn't your average band. It hasn't been for years so all this down time and lack of information can be expected. Surely you know this? And the so called intriguing facts about band members hurting more than we know? Strange how they all speak highly of each other in interviews still.

I have no problem with it - it´s Axl´s business.

But there are people that expects stuff, who still think there will actually be a continuos release of "CD2" and "CD3" around the corner. But this is not the case.

If you have been following GNR for the last 15 years, you should know how the ball rolls now: "AFD tour" ----> Band breakup ----> ------>Broken promises ----->Record ----> Broken promises -----> Silence ----> "AFD Tour" ----> and so on.......

But it´s no problem if you know how this is how gnr works and that the band is just on the brink of existing/not existing due to Axl:s erratic behaviour and inability to ride on momentum and release material.

Edited by siliconmessiah

I think if Axl were focused on a new album then there wouldn't be the solo projects. The solo/side projects are a way for the band members to keep themselves occupied whilst they wait for a call from Axl saying there's a tour coming up or an album in the works. Seeing as how its seen as a given that the next album will be more stuff from the CD era and therefore that wouldn't require a huge amount of input from the band as one can assume the songs are already written (and possibly fully recorded) what is there for the band to do now?

As others have said there's no evidence that Axl is interested in making a new album anytime soon, especially a completely new album from scratch as a collective effort from the band. I don't see the side projects as holding up GN'R at all, if there were something GN'R related for them to be doing they'd be doing it.

As it stands I really hope we see an album from the current lineup but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Edited by LesPaul_Player_91

Me too!

If you have, please share!

There's also a not a lot of record companies that are going to give Axl money to work on the next batch of songs (what do we call them now, CDs? Albums? Downloads?)

Prince said he doesn't care if he's never played on the radio again. People will keep seeing Prince & GNR live either way. A lot of established artists have become discouraged from working on new music. Rush put out 2 songs for download while they've been doing their tour.

Is GNR a band or a concept? Everyone has a different answer to that.

dude...

don't take your disappointment for not getting in at that D'Arc show,

so that you can claim that no one in France! hello? liked GNR show at Bercy.

I don't understand this point, sure I was disappointed at this show, but the only ones to blame are Drouot and his associate who are complete assholes, not GNR or the french fans.

I haven't met anyone who liked the Paris show yet, that's just a fact, and the press was a catastrophee. I'm pissed as you are because I thought the show was awesome, and the l'arc show sounded fucking great.

3. Bomblefoot expressed time and again that they could do more to establish the current band as a band of their own.

They could do more, but they aren't doing more. If he's a man of his words, he should quit and say what's going on in GNR, really. The fact is, Bumble is trying to get the best of every world, and in his version of events, he always looks good, and could do more, and do things for natural catastrophees, etc. I'd like to see him in concrete action, film Axl with his phone during a business meeting/jam session and post it on the internet, now this would be fun. I'm sorry but saying "we could do more to establish GNR as a band" is not enough, either he does it, or he sees he can't and he should quit if he thinks Axl is an asshole. I don't like people stucking in the middle. Again I don't dislike Bumblefoot, I'm just not sure what this guy is about because he isn't going in a clear direction with what he's saying.

4. again - GNR is Axl's band
Wrong, it's the band's band, always has been, he didn't write CD all by himself, period, it's a teamwork.
7. cheer up mate! GNR are better than Muse. Chinese Democracy is the best rock album in the last 13 years prior and after it combined, so relax. the next GNR record will rock even harder.

I agree with that. I love(d) Muse though.

Edited by D..

They could do more, but they aren't doing more. If he's a man of his words, he should quit and say what's going on in GNR, really. The fact is, Bumble is trying to get the best of every world, and in his version of events, he always looks good, and could do more, and do things for natural catastrophees, etc. I'd like to see him in concrete action, film Axl with his phone during a business meeting/jam session and post it on the internet, now this would be fun. I'm sorry but saying "we could do more to establish GNR as a band" is not enough, either he does it, or he sees he can't and he should quit if he thinks Axl is an asshole. I don't like people stucking in the middle. Again I don't dislike Bumblefoot, I'm just not sure what this guy is about because he isn't going in a clear direction with what he's saying.

A ) Ultimately he isn't in charge, Axl and management (when they have it) is.

B ) He obviously enjoys being in GN'R, and see's past the bullshit and drama to see that when things go well, it's a kick ass band, the last tour especially they were on fire. He obviously see's something in it worth hanging on for, I can't see why he'd put up with all the nonsense otherwise for. The same could be said of us fans, pretty much. When things go well, when they band are on fire and on stage, they really are ON FIRE.

C ) There is still other music in the vaults he and the others have played on that have yet to be released, even if the band as it is now don't write their own material (yet), there is still other new material in various stages of completion.

D ) Why should he just quit? Why can't he keep pushing and mentioning about wanting to write as a band, release stuff more often e.t.c. Can't say he doesn't try. He doesn't seem the type to just throw in the towel when things go pear shaped

They could do more, but they aren't doing more. If he's a man of his words, he should quit and say what's going on in GNR, really.

While we're living in a fantasy world maybe he can give everyone a unicorn while he's at it.

Ron or anyone in GNR not named Axl has about as much pull/influence on the organizational/business direction of the band as the janitor does at Goldman Sachs.

You REALLY believe that there is no new album because DJ and Bumblefoot are busy doing something else ?

Do you REALLY think Axl is dying to work on something but can't because DJ is promoting the Sixx AM album etc... ?

The guys have been jamming, the jams before the songs clearly weren't simple impros and didn't write themselves either.

DJ has said two months ago that he had recorded a bunch of ideas/songs and was going to let Axl hear them. Bumblefoot has written songs back in 2006 and tried to give them to Axl but they ( at least one of them ) ended on his solo album instead. Nothing happened.

Bumblefoot has been in the band for the last five years. He hasn't written a single song with Axl. Are you really suggesting that it's anybody's choice but Axl's ?

If so, how do you explain Bucket's departure due to "GnR's inability to end an album or tour" or Robin getting sick of "working on "unentitled instrumental number 34" forever" ?

What do you suggest they do ? Write an entire album as a band and see the whole thing canned by Axl just like the Snakepit album ?

You REALLY believe that there is no new album because DJ and Bumblefoot are busy doing something else ?

Do you REALLY think Axl is dying to work on something but can't because DJ is promoting the Sixx AM album etc... ?

The bottom line is: these side projects aren't helping.

As for Snakepit, Axl WAS interested in some songs but wanted to rework them, Slash didn't accept that and thank god because it was mostly garbage (except "Serial Killer").

Axl is a perfectionnist, if what Bumble gave to Axl was a mediocre as his last single, then I understand why Axl turned it down. I think they should take the time to sit and make some proper good music and accept the fact it's not going to be gold instantly.

It's not all up to Axl, it's also up to them, like Karri said, what is preventing the band from recording together a full album and proposing it to Axl?

The bottom line is: these side projects aren't helping.

As for Snakepit, Axl WAS interested in some songs but wanted to rework them, Slash didn't accept that and thank god because it was mostly garbage (except "Serial Killer").

Axl is a perfectionnist, if what Bumble gave to Axl was a mediocre as his last single, then I understand why Axl turned it down. I think they should take the time to sit and make some proper good music and accept the fact it's not going to be gold instantly.

It's not all up to Axl, it's also up to them, like Karri said, what is preventing the band from recording together a full album and proposing it to Axl?

Nothing, but what would be the point?

Of course they could all put their heads together come up with something amazing, Axl would be completely blown away and go away right away and write lyrics and vocal melodies however I'd wager this isn't likely.

It seems that Bucket and Finck (at least the first time) left because they were tired of working on music that (it seemed) wasn't going to see the light of day and if the current band went into the studio together and came up with stuff they risk the same frustration, not to mention the fact that money spent on studio time would seem to be wasted.

I'd imagine ownership of songs/music also comes into play here. Say Ashba or Bumble write songs themselves, propose them to Axl, he says no, at the end of the day they have written the songs on their own so can put them out on a solo record. If however the whole band were to hire a studio and co-write together and Axl were to say no there would be a problem in that its not a song/piece of music written by one person and as such the music wouldn't be able to be released easily as it would be an album by GN'R without Axl something I imagine he wouldn't take kindly to being released. (Also I'd imagine the press would have a field day). So the music gets unreleased and this frustrates the band as they've worked hard on music that would never get released.

By doing their side projects this doesn't happen.