My main problem with the current line-up

D..

The solo projects aren't stopping anything.

When Axl wants to work on a new album, they'll be there. They have solo projects because they're musicians.

No, you don't have "solo projects because you are musicians". A band is a band! It's ONE band. Why do they have to have so many stuff? It's like dating multiple chicks at the same time, it's not good.

Again, it's not all up to uncle Axl...

When Axl wants to work on a new album, they'll be there. They have solo projects because they're musicians.

No, you don't have "solo projects because you are musicians". A band is a band! It's ONE band. Why do they have to have so many stuff? It's like dating multiple chicks at the same time, it's not good.

Again, it's not all up to uncle Axl...

Well, yeah it is actually. If he doesn't want to work on the new album there's nothing they can do about it. They can write songs as much as they want, but if Axl doesn't like them or doesn't want to work on them, then nothing's gonna happen.

That's when solo projects become a good option.

My guess is they have solo projects because that stuff is bound to get released without any hassle. Odds are their compositions will be released more quickly on a solo album than a GN'R album. Also its not unusual for people to have solo careers alongside being in a band - look at Mick Jagger and Eddie Vedder.

My guess is they have solo projects because that stuff is bound to get released without any hassle. Odds are their compositions will be released more quickly on a solo album than a GN'R album. Also its not unusual for people to have solo careers alongside being in a band - look at Mick Jagger and Eddie Vedder.

True but all of those guys sold out; Axl didn't and when you join GNR, I expect the band member to be in that idea of exclusivity and not selling out. That's the way I see it anyway...

True but all of those guys sold out; Axl didn't and when you join GNR, I expect the band member to be in that idea of exclusivity and not selling out. That's the way I see it anyway...

Eddie Vedder never really sold out.

If anything in 1996-2003 he tried his best to alienate the typical Pearl Jam audience because the records that came out then sound absolutely nothing like the albums they are most well known for. Sure Vedder is popular, but popularity =/= selling out

What the hell is your definition of selling out?

Even if there were no sideprojects, the GNR train still wouldnt run smoothly. Like a real band.

Mostly, I think, it's because for a band to run like how we many of us feel it should, you'd need a manager to operate timetables and such.

Axl is a powerfreak, napoleon-complex to the extreme - so he can't handle having anyone "running the show". He knows he really does need a manager but since he is insane and childish he just ends up firing them all after a while.

Maybe he should call Tom Zutaut again, then we would have an album *almost ready* again. (only to have it sit on the shelf for seven years without a release)

chinese democracy starts now.

Even if there were no sideprojects, the GNR train still wouldnt run smoothly. Like a real band.

This.

I think if GN'R were a regular band there wouldn't be sideprojects because the band members would be too busy working on stuff but the reality is they have a lot of time to kill and seeing as they're musicians why shouldn't they fill that time with what they enjoy the most and what they do best - making music.

At the end of the day if this were a band which was very productive and releasing albums every few years I'd understand the annoyance at band members doing other things meaning less time to be spent on GN'R stuff but it isn't like that. For example Fortus touring with Thin Lizzy doesn't cause GN'R to be on hold but rather that because there are no GN'R plans until Rio (that we know of) he may as well use the dead space by taking up the offer to join Lizzy. Same with the other members.

It seems that the members of nuGN'R that left did so because they were annoyed at the periods of inactivity, the current band members are getting around that by touring and releasing new music.

Edited by LesPaul_Player_91

Musicians have side projects usually because:

a) something is missing/wrong with their main band

B) creativity. Sometimes music you write doesnt fit your main band.

c) they are tired and want to try something new.

d) want to have fun with other musicians.

e) money

Still, if you love your band and you are 100% satisfied with it, MOST of the musicians doesnt need side projects IMO...

I feel like I need to put things into perspective :

-Chinese Democracy : 1997 - 2011

-Josh Freese, Buckethead and Robin ALL expressed dissatisfaction with Axl not getting things done ( and left )

-Axl has a FULL album waiting to be release, yet he called the people who want to hear it "idiots"

-both Bumble and DJ recorded music for GnR...nothing happened with it so far

-FORTUS AND BUMBLE have been playing someone else's music for respecitvely 9 and 5 years without writing the opportunity to write a single song with Axl afaik.

To me it's obvious that the so-called hired guns care more about the band than Axl for the sole reason that Axl is only part of it when he chooses to and that's once every three years when he wants to tour AFD.

Face it : if the 7 gunners suddenly want to write and release an album tomorrow, if Axl doesn't want to do it it doesn't happen.

if Axl wants to write and release an album tomorrow : IT FUCKING HAPPENS ( simply because if the current guys don't want to help, they gtfo ).

How can anybody blame those guys for having side projects ? Wtf ?

THEY ARE PLAYING OTHER PEOPLE'S MATERIAL IN GNR AND CAN'T WRITE THEIR OWN UNTIL AXL SAYS SO...

Edited by The Glow Inc.

I feel like I need to put things into perspective :

-Chinese Democracy : 1997 - 2011

-Josh Freese, Buckethead and Robin ALL expressed dissatisfaction with Axl not getting things done ( and left )

-Axl has a FULL album waiting to be release, yet he called the people who want to hear it "idiots"

-both Bumble and DJ recorded music for GnR...nothing happened with it so far

-FORTUS AND BUMBLE have been playing someone else's music for respecitvely 9 and 5 years without writing the opportunity to write a single song with Axl afaik.

To me it's obvious that the so-called hired guns care more about the band than Axl for the sole reason that Axl is only part of it when he chooses to and that's once every three years when he wants to tour AFD.

Face it : if the 7 gunners suddenly want to write and release an album tomorrow, if Axl doesn't want to do it it doesn't happen.

if Axl wants to write and release an album tomorrow : IT FUCKING HAPPENS ( simply because if the current guys don't want to help, they gtfo ).

How can anybody blame those guys for having side projects ? Wtf ?

THEY ARE PLAYING OTHER PEOPLE'S MATERIAL IN GNR AND CAN'T WRITE THEIR OWN UNTIL AXL SAYS SO...

+1

4. again - GNR is Axl's band
Wrong, it's the band's band, always has been, he didn't write CD all by himself, period, it's a teamwork.

Exactly. And if the band loves their band as much as they say, what the fuck is stopping them from renting a studio together, jamming and recording a track or two, and then sending the tapes to Axl?

Or maybe, if Axl can't or don't want to agree to a normal working schedule - maybe the members should quit and form a new band with a new frontman? Yeah, no one can replace Axl, but would you rather sit on your ass for years or actually get something done?

Didnt DJ tweet a while back saying he'd just layed down some stuff for axl to check out? or something similar?

Guest siliconmessiah
Wrong, it's the band's band, always has been, he didn't write CD all by himself, period, it's a teamwork.

Exactly. And if the band loves their band as much as they say, what the fuck is stopping them from renting a studio together, jamming and recording a track or two, and then sending the tapes to Axl?

Or maybe, if Axl can't or don't want to agree to a normal working schedule - maybe the members should quit and form a new band with a new frontman? Yeah, no one can replace Axl, but would you rather sit on your ass for years or actually get something done?

Didnt DJ tweet a while back saying he'd just layed down some stuff for axl to check out? or something similar?

He "joked" about CD2 "not taking as long as CD to get released"...but he had no idea how wrong he is going to be.

Edited by siliconmessiah

Musicians have side projects usually because:

a) something is missing/wrong with their main band

B) creativity. Sometimes music you write doesnt fit your main band.

c) they are tired and want to try something new.

d) want to have fun with other musicians.

e) money

Still, if you love your band and you are 100% satisfied with it, MOST of the musicians doesnt need side projects IMO...

Thank you for a good and kind answer to this topic :) You are one of my favourite posters here.

@GlowInc: it's the typical reaction of non GNR fans. You don't love GNR if you think Axl is the problem of this band. I don't believe he is the main problem and I think he is a bit disappointed to see his band scattered around on so many solo stuff. Think about it, if everyone was 100% devoted, MAYBE things would go a little bit faster.

He "joked" about CD2 "not taking as long as CD to get released"...but he had no idea how wrong he is going to be.

Noo, i know he said that on the Interview back in november, but a few months back on twitter he said he'd got some stuff recorded that he was gonna "brush past axl" or something.

@GlowInc: it's the typical reaction of non GNR fans. You don't love GNR if you think Axl is the problem of this band. I don't believe he is the main problem and I think he is a bit disappointed to see his band scattered around on so many solo stuff. Think about it, if everyone was 100% devoted, MAYBE things would go a little bit faster.

I am Gnr fan, already 23 years now. I am also a huge Axl Rose fan, but that doesn't make me blind.

He is the main problem, he is a perfectionist and never satisfied with his work. And I can name probably more reasons, which I wont, cause it would be speculation. But if you think this is a band, like any other, you are wrong. However respected by Axl, they are HIS band. And there will be no new material untill HE gives the green light to work on it and will only be finished, when HE says so. I don't really blame Axl or anything, but these are the facts.

Glowinc is right.

I also think, they couldn't do side projects, if Axl didn't agree. He probably doesn't have a problem with it. Otherwise they would be 'out' already.

Edited by MBRose

Side projects have been going on since Duff's Believe In Me in 1993.

I know what the OP is trying to say though...take Metallica for example, do you see Kirk doing his own thing? No fuckin' way. Remember what happen to Jason when he wanted to do a side project? We all know how that ended....

Yes you get my point, and as for Duff, 93 was the end of GNR, almost... GNR speak was somewhere between 88/92 and they didn't have solo projects.

Sure Axl allows it, but let's be honest here, at this point of the game, can he afford forbidding his band members from from having a side project? Of course not, otherwise he'd be fucked and alone. He allows it because he appreciates them a lot as musicians, for their talents, but I'm pretty sure he is disappointed they don't commit 100% to GNR. I know I would.

There's nothing wrong with side projects. Its not GNR material they are wasting on a solo album, its solo material they wrote and want to record. And plus most of them already said that GNR has more priority and say in their schedule so if they are doing side projects, its because GNR isn't doing anything anyway

In the time frame this band has been together, the old band was formed and wrote the masterpiece that is Appetite for Destruction. When is this band going to do something relevant? If Axl is just gonna continue doing cash grab tours and living off the old band, why doesnt he just reunite or call it quits?

It'd be pretty sad if no new songs were played at RIR in October.

In the time frame this band has been together, the old band was formed and wrote the masterpiece that is Appetite for Destruction. When is this band going to do something relevant? If Axl is just gonna continue doing cash grab tours and living off the old band, why doesnt he just reunite or call it quits?

It'd be pretty sad if no new songs were played at RIR in October.

Yes, I agree.

If they play no new song's I'll be alittle worried for the future of the band.

RN'R is where GN'R debuted most of their Illusion's songs, and where some of the CD song's were heard on a large scale besides the Vegas show in 2001. Rio has a history for GN'R in being a place to debut new material. If we only get one new song I'll be happy. It can be a old track form the Chinese Democracy unreleased songs (The General, Atlus Shrugged) or a brand new song that was recorded during the current downtime.

I'm be as optimistic as I can, so I hope we get something new come Rio, or before. Whether they play new material, announce a new album, tour DVD, US tour, I hope we get something before or at Rock N' Rio.

Muse is the greatest band of the last 15 years, and they only got big about 7 or 8 years ago. They're still fresh. Guns n Roses(one of the greatest bands of all time) is a 20 year old brand. It's really hard to compare the two.

Muse is the greatest band of the last 15 years, and they only got big about 7 or 8 years ago. They're still fresh. Guns n Roses(one of the greatest bands of all time) is a 20 year old brand. It's really hard to compare the two.

Yeah it's true, I admit there's a big age difference.

Glad to see some people with good tastes in music, Muse are indeed the best thing that happened to rock in 10 years, and so were Guns in the 80's/90's.

There is no reason to believe these side projects slow anything down GNR related.

Agreed. If Axl wants a song it's his as any band member would love to have a credit on a guns album with anything they write. Think sales and visibility.