New Album In 2011

Nick85

99 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We know that Axl has at least two more albums worth of tracks that were recorded between 1999-2007 during the Chinese Democracy sessions, with the initial intent being to release a "trilogy" of albums while the band toured continuously.

Obviously, the original plan hasn't panned out, but we do know that those songs do exist and that DJ is currently working WITH Axl in some form on new material. Whether he's adding guitar work to the albums like Ron did in '06 & '07, or actually writing new songs remains to be seen.

One thing is certain, Guns are now planning to release the next album. The only question now is "When?". I might very well regret being optimistic later, but if DJ is simply making his mark on the tracks and not constructing whole new songs (at least for this album), I see no reason why we won't hear the next album sooner than later.

With that said, does anyone believe we'll see the next album later this year?

EDIT: Ron, DJ, & Dexter...Please feel free to chime in at any time to set the record straight. :thumbsup:

Edited by sofine11

I'd be shocked if an album was released this year, but I was also shocked when they actually went ahead and released CD in 08, and rumors of that didn't start rolling around until like mid august that year.

My main question is, what does Ashba mean when he says they are working on new material? Are they writing new songs NOW? or are they over-writing old songs again?

The forums were full of "Give it up, the albums never gonna come out!" every year up to when the official press release was was put out in October of 2008. I know things tend to drag ass in the world of GNR, but I don't accept the "It's never gonna come out" line of thinking.

However, if DJ is constructing new songs meant for the next release, we can pretty much kiss 2011 goodbye in regard to hearing any new music from GNR. I know some of you want to hear newly written tracks, but I'd rather have him make his mark on CD Era tracks and have it released "soon", rather than wait possibly years to hear brand new songs written by the current lineup.

My main question is, what does Ashba mean when he says they are working on new material? Are they writing new songs NOW? or are they over-writing old songs again?

Just means he's writing riffs/songs he thinks would be cool for GNR. They always write individually. Doubt Axl's even listening to them at this point.

He said he was writing WITH Axl.

He'd chat with Buckethead and nobody else in the early days, hopefully it's the same with Ashba. I read the 'chat' post and I'd guess that at least DJ had a chat window open with Axl.

It's unfortunately a long road to Christmas, although from what was said it seems there's more of an issue booking tour dates, which could mean he's at odds with Azoff and thus the US promoters and he's not having issues with the label, but who knows.

I doubt there's any active composing going on with Axl, although given that the majority of the CD lyrics were inspired by the Erin/Stephanie court case, may Irving is Axl's unintentional muse, LOL!

And there's always the possibility that the label has material it can release to satisfy the contract, although I'm sure there's a clause saying Axl has to sign off on it, so not holding my breath there. A label-directed box set isn't out of the question. They've held the idea of releasing 'unauthorized' Greatest Hits material over his head before in an effort to motivate him to let go of the new material.

Not that it worked.

Now there's the added problem as to whether they physically possess any tracks.

Here's hoping that DJ's 'writing' with Axl is more than a 'yeah, that's a cool riff'.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

I would love to see an album coincide with the Rio spectacle. Certainly "coinciding" is idealistic in the Guns sense so I'd be more confident of a 2012 release (with perhaps a few new tracks at RIR).

I dunno, initially I thought that maybe Axl was waiting for the "Post Chinese Democracy World Tour" to wrap up before he thought about the next album. But then I recalled that initially he wanted to release the next album a year after the first, which was both confirmed in earlier interviews and hinted again with his "Maybe same bat time same bat channel next year" comment in December of 2008. Surely he planned to continue tour on that album as well, and incorporating the songs on the next one.

I wonder what changed, or what changed his mind. Robin leaving? The tour taking over a year to materialize? :shrugs:

At the very least, I hope the fans get an update on what's up with the next album. I think we deserve that much...

I'd be very surprised if Axl ever releases another album. The way he talked about CD being "one nightmare after another" and how it even seemed like the whole release was somehow rushed in the end despite being delayed and worked on for more than a decade, I just don't think he enjoys the experience at all.

No, not this year. 2012 in the earliest, but I do believe it will be released.

Replace 2012 with '2009', and I, along with many others, said the exact same thing in 2008... We're not even halfway through the year yet, and things happen at the drop of a dime in the world of GnR...

They spent a lot of time touring so let's just assume they're taking a long enough break from each other and getting ideas together. The best thing is that DJ and Axl have a lot of material to work with. Also keep in mind a few AFD era songs wound up being on UYI and people thought 3 years was a long wait (I'm counting from '88, when people started playing the shit out of AFD and started scouring for bootlegs).

There were a lot of things that delayed Chinese Democracy.

Axl's not a quitter though.

You have to be a starter to be a quitter.

I'd guess the label is owed some released, which is keeping him from being kicked to the curb. But I'd hazard a guess that RIR WILL be the Christmas release Ashba is talking about. They may take a shot at a DVD concert release based on the performance. Of course the problem with that is 'been there, done that.'

The Vegas concert was awesome, the band looked and sounded great, it was a very expensive multi-camera production, but Axl still wouldn't allow it to be released even in Japan. It was scheduled and canceled. If that's the plan, hope but exhale.

The best thing is that DJ and Axl have a lot of material to work with.

That's actually the worst thing. Axl can drown himself in files and flog the chosen bits to death. He won't let it go.

The best thing would be something new and spontaneous.