Is Chris Cornell the antithesis of Scott Weiland?

WhazUp

Chris hasn't sounded better this last acoustic tour. Every show on the tour was sold out and garnered amazing reviews. Sure Scream wasn't that great but its easy to forget about that when Chris has been this great with just his voice and an acoustic guitar. Plus Soundgarden have been working on new material and their recent live shows have rocked. Scott Weiland's voice has been on a strong decline since Contraband was released. Now he struggles to hit notes and has a nasally tone in his voice that is only not present when he is trying to impersonate David Bowie. STP's last record was pretty much a total misfire and they are struggling to sell out stadiums and Scott's addictions are coming back to haunt him. I love both Scott and Chris, but after seeing them both Chris seems to be on fire while Scott is struggling to maintain the same quality shows every night.

Chris hasn't sounded better this last acoustic tour. Every show on the tour was sold out and garnered amazing reviews. Sure Scream wasn't that great but its easy to forget about that when Chris has been this great with just his voice and an acoustic guitar. Plus Soundgarden have been working on new material and their recent live shows have rocked. Scott Weiland's voice has been on a strong decline since Contraband was released. Now he struggles to hit notes and has a nasally tone in his voice that is only not present when he is trying to impersonate David Bowie. STP's last record was pretty much a total misfire and they are struggling to sell out stadiums and Scott's addictions are coming back to haunt him. I love both Scott and Chris, but after seeing them both Chris seems to be on fire while Scott is struggling to maintain the same quality shows every night.

Booze and cigaretts will do that to you, he also lost alot of his ability to speak sometime last year.

I actually thought the latest stp record was great, save a few "weiland impersonates bowie" duds. But he wont live much longer if he keeps up this downward spiral.

Plus Scott is really depressed, divorced, and is broke now money wise.

Plus Scott is really depressed, divorced, and is broke now money wise.

Poor him. He's kinda the definition of "wash-up" right about now. I'm saving my opinion of Cornell until the Soundgarden album drops, but I agree with most of the positive comments about him.

"STP are struggling to sell out stadiums"

When did STP sell out stadiums in the first place?

I did see the DeLeos play Dream On with Steven Tyler last night for the American Idol season finale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-ty4ZUNtJk

As for Cornell, he's done really well for himself, his solo stuff has been good, Audioslave was a hit, and now we look forward to the 2nd coming of Soundgarden

Cornell has been living off past glories since Superunknown, whereas Weiland has proved himself to be a consistently adept songwriter, shown by both the last STP album and his immense second solo record.

agree

vr > audioslave, by a mile.

Cornell has been living off past glories since Superunknown, whereas Weiland has proved himself to be a consistently adept songwriter

While I agree with what you said about Scott, how can you say that about Chris? I love the entire SG cataloge, even the EP. And especially Down on the Upside (which alot of people don't like as much as their previous efforts) Besides, their recent shows showed setlists that covered the whole span of their SG career. So wat are you basing your statement on dude? Seriously..

Cornell has been living off past glories since Superunknown, whereas Weiland has proved himself to be a consistently adept songwriter, shown by both the last STP album and his immense second solo record.

Bull. Down On The Upside is their best record. And that came after Superunknown. Chris' first solo record, Euphoria Morning, was pretty good. Scream was shit.

I do agree about Scott's solo records being class. As were No. 4, and Shangri. Libertad, and the new STP were irrefutable shit.

The only difference between the two is Scott talks some stupid shit.

"STP are struggling to sell out stadiums"

When did STP sell out stadiums in the first place?

I did see the DeLeos play Dream On with Steven Tyler last night for the American Idol season finale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-ty4ZUNtJk

As for Cornell, he's done really well for himself, his solo stuff has been good, Audioslave was a hit, and now we look forward to the 2nd coming of Soundgarden

wow that was...rough..

in the space it took VR to make 2 albums of varying quality, AS made 3 good ones. Cornell's been doing it since the 80's with soundgarden. He's never quite stopped making music and pushing his limits. Weiland's had to stop multiple times, famously, because he's been arrested for drugs. It delayed the release of No.4 and broke up STP the first time. He split with vr because he is still a druggie. He's never had a great range in his voice, nor has he been too instrumentally blessed. However, he's ALWAYS surrounded himself with fantastic musicians. To name a few:

STP:Deleos and Eric Kretz(also loved the deleos in army of anyone)

Happy:No doubt

VR:(well duh)

Edited by Bucketslash