My review of Chinese Democracy

Towelie

My review from a while back:

1. Chinese Democracy: Great, in-your-face rocker, makes for a great start to the album. Mean vocals, great riff, icredible solos, and nice fretless work from Bumblefoot. Lyrics could be a bit better, but all round a great song. 9/10

2. Shackler's Revenge: Short and sweet. Guitar intro is a little off sounding, but the song itself can't be faulted. Very catchy, straight to the point, good lyrics. Not too keen on bumble's solo however.... 8/10

3. Better. All round great, first of the album's many classics. Catchy riff, great lyrics, brilliant solo by robin, and heavy as fuck. Why this wasn't promoted more or given moe attention is beyond me, it's a true modern GN'R classic 10/10

4. Street of Dreams: Very UYI- sounding song. Dizzy and Robin both shine here. Great lyrics from Axl, though the vocals are a little weak at times. One of the more 'instant' songs on the album, IMO. 8/10

5. If The World: One of the most experimental tracks GN'R have done here. Bucket's skill at different styles of guitar come into focus here. Very catchy song, the solo is fantastic. Structurally, a relatively straightforward number, however the depth of the song is impressive. 8/10

6. There Was A Time: Staggering. Easily the best thing on the album here. Epic in every sense of the word. Axl’s lyrics are heartfelt, and powerful. The guitar work amazing. Any doubts as to whether Robin or Bucket were right to fill Slash’s shoes are put to rest here. Robin’s solo is amazing, then along comes Bucket and follows it up with something even more epic. The song is heavy as hell. Brain’s drumming is thunderous, the band is on fire. 10+/10

7. Catcher In The Rye: A great piano ballad, showing the more harmonious side of the band more. Bumblefoot shows he is more than just a shredder guitarist with an impressive solo, better than Brian’s on the demo version, IMO. Great lyrics, piano work, a great song to chill to, and rounds off the first half of the album with style. 10/10

8. Scraped: One of the more industrial numbers. The layers of vocal harmonies at the start are pretty bad, it just doesn’t seem to fit, (IMO of course..). The song itself, when it kicks in, is solid though (despite later returns of the multi-layered vocals of the intro). Uplifting lyrics, cool solo’s and a mean rhythm section holding it all together. Lyrics are great to motivate yourself and as a big ‘fuck you’ to any haters or doubters. 7/10

9. Riad N’ The Bedouins: A strange number. Cool, atmospheric, if slightly long intro. The main riff is beastly, and Tommy’s bass groove is unforgettable, one of the songs where he really gets to shine. The lyrics are strange and nonsensical, but Axl’s delivery is good, reaching some of his highest notes on the album. A solid, instant, catchy number. 8/10

10. Sorry: Haunting, moody, atmospheric, strange. Lots of words can describe this song. The best ones are simply that it kicks arse. There is an eerie ambiance to the song. Bucket’s solo is hauntingly memorable. A great set of lyrics, sort of a more mature version of 'Get In The Ring'. Unforgettable choruses, heavy and thunderous guitars. One of the best of the album. 10/10

11. I.R.S.: solid, punchy number. It grows with time. More of an industrial feel, but sleazed up a lot credit to Bumblefoot. The lyrics are mean and aggressive, the last verse is venomous, topped off with an incredible scream from Axl, backed by a shredding, skilful solo from Buckethead. Solid and powerful. 9/10

12. Madagascar: Along with 'If The World', probably the most experimental song on the album. Gloomfull, scene-setting French horns introduce the song, followed by Axl’s lyrics of forgiveness, sorrow and despair. A solid solo from Buckethead underplays the montage of quotes and speeches memorably. The drumming is great here. Simple, but unforgettable. 10/10

13. This I Love: Axl's masterpiece. The darker, evil sister of Street Of Dreams and Sweet Child O' Mine. Axl's capabilities on Piano are demonstrated wonderfully here. Passionate, deep lyrics, and Robin's amazing solo overplays an incredible instrumental part. These two minutes alone are two of the finest on the whole album. Axl’s screaming of the final chorus towards the end, and the final verse are some of the finest performances he’s ever given. The song is, put simply, incredible. 10/10

14. Prostitute: IMO, the most underrated song on the album. The lyrics seem to deal with a range of topics. They're a message to the fans, his naysayers, former lovers and band-mates all at once, but all in different ways. The whole band comes through to shine here. Heavy as sin, and epic as hell. The final two minutes fade the album out beautifully. Someone once described listening to the ending as imagining Axl walking down a long, long corridor, finally leaving through the exit at the end, forever. A pretty accurate description. If this was the final bit of studio work to come from Guns, this would be the best ending we could have wished for. Just behind 'There Was A Time' for best song on the album. 10/10

Overall album revew: 10/10

Awesome review.

Guest siliconmessiah

A 8/10 album, ruined very much by:

1. Songs being played 8 years before album release.

2. Songs being leaked 2 years before album release.

all albums become 10 years old and they have to stand the test of time. CD does that. In fact it sort of gets better the more you listen.

True. There's so much shit hidden in there. The songs actually start to feel fresh again if you start focusing on the parts you didn't listen at first.

Riad N' the Bedouins Like a nu-metal cover of Immigrant Song. Kinda fun if you're in the mood, but definately one of the weaker moments on the album. 5/10

Maybe you'da liked Riad better if you were just a little high, everything sounds better when you're just a little high!

(Sorry, I saw ''Towelie'' wrote this... and I just had to)

That said all in all a pretty good review! I agree on most points though our favorites vary.

Edited by axlskAmpf