Years

rumandraisin

Am i right in thinking that recording started in 1998 for CD, the oldest stuff onthe album being from then? The press always claim the album took 14 years to record, but seeing as no previous musicians are on the album from that era (Slash, Sorum etc) surely that means it was actually 1998 that they started?

1998 - Tommy Stinson and Chris Pitman joined the band, and they have been members since, so you can consider this as a start of ChD era, and recordings which resulted in releasing ChD - as both Stinson & Pitman are credited as songwriters on this record

however I'm sure Axl has still all pre-1998 recordings...

1998 - Tommy Stinson and Chris Pitman joined the band, and they have been members since, so you can consider this as a start of ChD era, and recordings which resulted in releasing ChD - as both Stinson & Pitman are credited as songwriters on this record

however I'm sure Axl has still all pre-1998 recordings...

Thats what i was thinking

Its a fascinating album isnt it haha!!

Slash, Sorum ect might not be on there, but if Axl was writting back in 1994/1995 then it will be classed as taking that long.

That would mean AFD was started in 85' since they had Jungle ?

Or UYI at the same time because or NR and Don't Cry ???

Edited by John Doe

Slash, Sorum ect might not be on there, but if Axl was writting back in 1994/1995 then it will be classed as taking that long.

That would mean AFD was started in 85' since they had Jungle ?

Or UYI at the same time because or NR and Don't Cry ???

sure, why not

Writers write.

Not every song on an album was created just for that album. Most song writers have lots of lyrics and bits and pieces of music lying around.

As a song is created today, a line of phrase of piece of music the writer thought of ten years ago might be used.

I remember reading somewhere that the first song that was finished and/or ready to be released for Chinese Democracy was 1999. Although writing began years earlier, and there were many 'jam sessions' with various members in the late 90's.

There of course was much more material written and/or recorded than Oh My God, Checkmate/The General, the songs on CD, and whatever other leaks have floated or are floating around... but we unfortunately haven't got to hear a whole lot of anything that Axl, and Baz and Ashba said exist....there is definitely stuff out there and I want to hear it!

Writers write.

Not every song on an album was created just for that album. Most song writers have lots of lyrics and bits and pieces of music lying around.

As a song is created today, a line of phrase of piece of music the writer thought of ten years ago might be used.

This is the truth.Writers write,Artists Paint and draw,Musicians I have known are always hitting down pieces of lyric or melody.

NR was written by the AFD years,but was not chosen for that album.It was first performed in Noblesville Indiana Gig,on the UYI tour.

Bad Obsession was written before brownstone,and Don't Cry dates back to strip days.

Actually, songs made before recording of the AFD, which were released on UYI are (I may not remember all): November Rain (I don't know if it was finished, or if they were still working on it), Back off bitch, Don't cry, You could be mine (or maybe it wasn't ready back then, I'm not sure), Bad Obsession.

Actually, songs made before recording of the AFD, which were released on UYI are (I may not remember all): November Rain (I don't know if it was finished, or if they were still working on it), Back off bitch, Don't cry, You could be mine (or maybe it wasn't ready back then, I'm not sure), Bad Obsession.

I'm pretty sure Perfect Crime was, too... Although it could've been during the recording of AFD, I'm pretty sure they played it at some point in '86 or '87