How good could a new Guns n' Roses album do ?

The Glow Inc.

This is a thread about album "SALES". It's not about how good we think the music will be. An album doesn't sell well without a radio friendly hit or two. It has to have some catchy hooks or it's not going to sell. That's why the radio issue was brought up.

it's all about repeat customers. How many of the ones who bought CD will pick up the next one? how many were satisfied? how many were not?

Then again brand loyalty is big in society. Lots of people buy the name more than anything else.

Edited by moreblack

This is a thread about album "SALES". It's not about how good we think the music will be.

If the music sucks, it won't sell

If the music is great, it won't sell without proper promotion, interviews and good timing.

If Chinese Democracy came out in '99,'00,'01 or '02 and had huge promotion, interviews and music video with a tour right after the release it would've probably sold twice as much if not more.

Don't necessarily agree rovim. It had a huge promotion from the media for well over a decade. Its history has its own wikipedia page. I think proper promotion, as in axl doing an interview with rolling stone could have moved things along a little bit, but I don't think it would have been a significant difference. Everybody that was into gnr even remotely knew about this record. The music, for whatever reason you wanna go with, didn't really agree with the majority of fans.

Not to be a dick, but I think 15 years of curiousity is, at least one of the main factors that got cd off to a decent start. Now that the cd finally was released, the main factor now has to be in the music for cd II to sell well. Either the publics gonna be into it for what it is, or they're not. Again, only time will tell.

Very reasonable post BoBo,I must reiterate that I don't rely on popular opinion to determine what music I like.Exile on Main street was determined to be a commercial failure at the time,todays music is dreadful for the most part imo.

Limp bizkit? Christ i was forced to listen to that shit at nearly every party i went to around the time i finished high school, terrible music imo. As far as a new gnr album, well if the band re-united i think the album would go straight to number one.

No,it might initially but face facts,everybody has moved on and there is animosity plus some between at least two of the AFD lineup.Would you really want people that clearly don't wanna be anywhere near each other to be exposed to that shit for your selfish amusement?

If you have migrated here to start reunion shit,there is a section for that,please stop.

Guest siliconmessiah

Limp bizkit? Christ i was forced to listen to that shit at nearly every party i went to around the time i finished high school, terrible music imo. As far as a new gnr album, well if the band re-united i think the album would go straight to number one.

Yeah. Limp Bizkit is shitty all the way.

Never liked them at all, I also agree with the "forced to listen to them in high school", and they were on MTV 24/7.

On topic now. It´s pretty hard to estimate how good a new GNR-album would do. With the right promotion/videos/single material it could do pretty well.

Of course, if there was a GNR-reunion, as you say, that album would probably rocket up the charts, no doubt about it.

But now the situation is as it is, and hopefully the current guys will be able to pull off something good. If we´ll se any new stuff from GNR, it will probably not reach the heights of AFD and UYI-era, but I think this band is able to deliver. I am however very mych unsure about DJ Ashba´s talents and his place in the band though. Other than that, I really hope that we´ll see a new album in the future.

Edited by siliconmessiah

Personally I like Ashba,he fits more than Robin or Bucket did.GNR sold out RIR in record time,that says something. I hope GNR never goes mainstream in todays parade of self-styled idiots.A GNR album could do very well imo,CD amidst all the insanity did sell well.GNR has never been radio-friendly,except for a select few tunes.I guess after 20 some odd years of following GNR,I have realized that no other band can touch them.

Personally I like Ashba,he fits more than Robin or Bucket did.GNR sold out RIR in record time,that says something. I hope GNR never goes mainstream in todays parade of self-styled idiots.A GNR album could do very well imo,CD amidst all the insanity did sell well.GNR has never been radio-friendly,except for a select few tunes.I guess after 20 some odd years of following GNR,I have realized that no other band can touch them.

You have a pretty fuzzy memory. Back in the day MTV was nothing BUT GNR. Hell, I remember the top 10 in 1991 consisting of THREE fucking GNR songs. Live And Let Die and both Don't Crys. Yes, that's right...BOTH versions were on the top 10 at once lol. GNR was all over the radio and all over the TV. They were doing fucking pay per views....they were everywhere. They were about as "radio friendly" as you could get.

you're talkinh about sales?

Forget it.

CDs don't sell anymore, even more a New GNR album.

CD's still sell. Just not the genre of music we like. Outside of AC/DC and Metallica anyway.

Edited by Nintari

You have a pretty fuzzy memory. Back in the day MTV was nothing BUT GNR. Hell, I remember the top 10 in 1991 consisting of THREE fucking GNR songs. Live And Let Die and both Don't Crys. Yes, that's right...BOTH versions were on the top 10 at once lol. GNR was all over the radio and all over the TV. They were doing fucking pay per views....they were everywhere. They were about as "radio friendly" as you could get.

you're talkinh about sales?

Forget it.

CDs don't sell anymore, even more a New GNR album.

CD's still sell. Just not the genre of music we like. Outside of AC/DC and Metallica anyway.

:sigh: read my post again,I said mainstream in todays market.I remember full well when UYIs went to one and two on the charts,nothing that has ever been done before.Yes I remember the Paris ppv. Even recorded it.

The music they label music today is quite terrible,unless you have a taste for shit.No fuzzy memory,I stopped doing drugs 20 years ago. :rolleyes: