How good could a new Guns n' Roses album do ?

The Glow Inc.

I know, NOT THAT SHIT AGAIN, but I came across an "interesting" piece of data :

Limp Bizkit reunion album sold 27 000 copies in its first week in the US.

Their 2000 album sold 1.05 million copies in its first week and is the fastest selling album of all time.

Keep in mind that Gold Cobra featured all the original members and sounded exactly like Significant Other. It wasn't a reinvention of the band, or an experimental take : it was made to please the fans. The title track was also made into a video that was actually aired.

Now, let's say that GnR does it by the book this time. Let's say that the single sounds like Old GnR, that they have a good looking video that is actually released, and that Axl & the band gives a shitload of interview like Limp Bizkit, go on talk shows to play the music and to spread the word.

What happens in the best case scenario ?

I didn't think the music industry was doing that bad to be honnest...

if they stripped it down to: axl, dj, richard, tommy, dizzy and frank they have a bigger chance to create a good album. 3 guitars + chris pitman is just too much sound

what are you saying about Ron?

as much as i like ron i don't think that having 2 guitarists with different styles would work. i think dj + richard would work better than ron + richard or dj + ron.

i would love to hear more solo stuff by ron

..how many core Gn'R fans remain?

There's the anwser to your question.

Without a hit single / video, the fan-base isn't about to expand anytime soon.

Edited by star

I think there's no chance at all for GnR to live up to expectations...

I mean the last Aerosmith album sold 2.6 million copies worldwide and 600 000 copies in the US while Metallica sold 4.5 million copies of Death Magnetic, another album designed to please the fans.

I think there's no chance at all for GnR to live up to expectations...

I mean the last Aerosmith album sold 2.6 million copies worldwide and 600 000 copies in the US while Metallica sold 4.5 million copies of Death Magnetic, another album designed to please the fans.

Metallica's Death Magnetic tour on the other hand was one of the band's biggest ever... and I think that is at least as important as album sales. That's where the real money is. If GnR makes a solid album, releases a video, even if it's not a heavily played one, does interviews, and all that stuff, the tour would be a lot bigger than the current one.

The fan base is massive. We're not talking about an indie band here. It doesn't need to expand. Not many bands sell as many records as GN'R did with CD. it may have been a disappointment sales wise compared to their previous efforts, but it still sold a fuck load. And was number 1 in a bunch of countries.

Edited by axl8302

There hasn't been one single album from Guns that I've disliked. Heck the only song that I felt was mediocre was "My World", but I also saw the song as more of a joke kind of song. So it's pretty safe to say I'm going to love CD2.

Guest siliconmessiah

Only time will tell I guess. All depends if axl decides to debut new songs so we can get a preview of what's yet to come.

:crazy:

I agree with Bobbo and see no need for a crazy-smiley.

Care to elaborate on it?

Depends on whether or not they write a few songs with radio play in mind. If it doesn't have a song with catchy hooks I doubt it will sell better than CD. Of course, the importance of that is up to the individual, but that's probably how it will play out.

Limp Bizkit is your reasoning? I'm pretty sure Limp Bizkit was one of those flavor of the month kind of things with no staying power at all.

I use to rip on Nu-metal too but when Emo replaced it I quickly longed for the days when rock atleast had some fucking BALLS to it.

Edited by Nintari

I think an album can do pretty well, but the marketing is to an older generation. They aren't going to be on top 40, but many bands from the 70s/80s still put out albums that sell great without being on top 40 radio. The last Kiss album went to number 2 in the US. Journey's last album got up to number 5.

The fan base is massive. We're not talking about an indie band here. It doesn't need to expand. Not many bands sell as many records as GN'R did with CD. it may have been a disappointment sales wise compared to their previous efforts, but it still sold a fuck load. And was number 1 in a bunch of countries.

In 2011 I question just how big Gn'R are.

To many, Gn'R are simply a rockband from the 1980's, and that's pretty much about the only part of their catalogue that gets played on the radio.

To many, Gn'R are simply a rockband from the 1980's, and that's pretty much about the only part of their catalogue that gets played on the radio.

Who cares what gets "played on the radio?" I don't need the radio to tell me what I like.

Who cares what gets "played on the radio?" I don't need the radio to tell me what I like.

It's not about caring or not. It's called exposure. Music + exposure to it, is always a plus.

The fan base is massiuve. We're not talking about an indie band here. It doesn't need to expand. Not many bands sell as many records as GN'R did with CD. it may have been a disappointment sales wise compared to their previous efforts, but it still sold a fuck load. And was number 1 in a bunch of countries.

It's not about caring or not. It's called exposure. Music + exposure to it, is always a plus.

if I relied on the pure garbage the radio spews out id think that lady gagme and justa beaver were actually an example of good music.if that's what you like why are you here?

This is a thread about album "SALES". It's not about how good we think the music will be. An album doesn't sell well without a radio friendly hit or two. It has to have some catchy hooks or it's not going to sell. That's why the radio issue was brought up.

it will sell on the name alone

cd did pretty good for a record that had basically no promotion

besides that, shows are where the money is nowadays

the music might not be popular anymore and new albums will probably never hit the old sale numbers

but every child knows guns n roses is one of the best live bands ever regardless the lineup so there's yer point of sale - the experience

personally, i don't give a fuck. id buy the album and go see them in the last shithole or the biggest arena i dont care.