New Stinson Article

stonebird

Why? Because they can't do anything unless Axl decides it. Axl needs to be part of it. And Axl has been busy with the court case and just chillin'.

I guess I should've been clearer; Axl's lazy and he's wasting his and their talent.

The talents aren't wasted, they are still free to use it in other bands and projects. Axl is just not very eager on letting their talents be used to create more GN'R material right now, probably because he is not ready for it himself. But luckily they are not under any obligation to not be involved in musical projects outside of GN'R and hence their talents are very much free to be used in different contexts.

I don't know if Axl's lazy, at least I don't think that not caring to record more music is a sign of laziness. You can't force such things. I think it is more a lack of a muse. For all I know he can be extremely busy every day doing other things, and I am not blaming him for not taking up a regular job.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest siliconmessiah

I don't see how you could stand to be a member of a band you consider amazing who has one man at the helm refusing to do anything. From the outside, it's an interesting clusterfuck to watch so long as you don't expect anything, anything at all, but to be inside of it... the paycheck must be nice that's all I gotta say.

Stinson probably just likes the financial security he gets with GNR and the fact he can stay relatively anonymous yet play in front of thousands of people. Also, he gets to keep everything he writes for his own projects nowadays since he's not recording in the GNR studio where everything played gets recorded and locked in a vault, never to be used again, and legally owned by this guy miles away up in a mansion somewhere.

Interesting thoughts.

It´s also interesting (and as a fan pretty depressive) how GNR probably will be remembered.

Sadly, by the casual fans, media (and some hardcore fans) it all comes down to how Axl snatched the GNR-name and turned into a musical joke, nostalgia act with cover musicians, freak show etc. etc.

I however. Think that the 2002-2006 era is the most fantastic GNR-era. Probably because of the new songs, leaks and hype.

People ARE laughing at it, as a fan I´ve seen more people than I can count make a joke out of New GNR. Mostly during the years 2004-2008 with the neverending delays of CD.

I also have friends that went to see GNR in 2010 who came home very disappointed. I still think they are a very good live band - a tight good live nostalgia band.

They are now down to play basketball arenas in the USA. But yeah, still a well selling nostalgia act around the globe.

I don´t really know if there is time to turn this ship around. But time will tell.

Edited by siliconmessiah

All he said was "no recording in the near future because we have those dates" (paraphrased).

Umm, you guys are surprised? They'll be on the road, nowhere near a recording studio.

That doesn't mean they can't record after the tour. And as mentioned they have lots of material already done.

Yeah, I guess so.

Guest siliconmessiah

I still believe that we might be in for a real surprise and that there is an album scheduled for release to coincide with this fall-tour.

I have this feeling deep inside...and we will probably get to know when Rio kicks off or around these days.

Edited by siliconmessiah

Axl blames us for wildly speculating, we blame him for not telling us anything. We speculate because he doesn't tell us anything, he doesn't tell us anything because we speculate.

There's a massive gap in logic SOMEWHERE in those statements lol.

"what we have here..is failure..to communicate...some men you just cant reach..so we get what we have here today."''''''

anyone catch the "inner bus dispute" comment post Ireland?

The sly humor at Fortus not forgiving him by asking to jointhe GNR circus...might be more revealing than just a funny ha ha..I dont know whats in those contracts but they must be written in blood or Axl has been one hell of a salesman and inspired these guys to hang on and in with him...by now ..with all this time and with these guys and their talent and new technology..there could have been 10 fucking Chinese Democracys and 10 fucking world tours including every areana from Bumfuk Maine to Browneye California USA.

Sooner or later I would think that these guys would study what happened to Finks career and go...whoooa this shit is going on way to long I better get my shit and go get a real job!! Speaking of Fink- what the hell is he up to now a days? One could certainly say that his stint with GNR utterly failed to make him a world class history making guitar hero.

Imagine the difference it would make if they recorded a single.. or a EP like Lies and Spagehetti Incident were designed to be fillers tween albums?

Guest siliconmessiah

One could certainly say that his stint with GNR utterly failed to make him a world class history making guitar hero.

I think being the guitarist on the Guns N´ Roses-record Chinese Democracy and toured for millions of faces is pretty world class.

Especially if Chinese Democracy is the last record that is put out by GNR - or the last before the peace between Axl & Slash. Either way, it will have it´s own place in music history.

Edited by siliconmessiah

Why? Because they can't do anything unless Axl decides it. Axl needs to be part of it. And Axl has been busy with the court case and just chillin'.

I guess I should've been clearer; Axl's lazy and he's wasting his and their talent.

The talents aren't wasted, they are still free to use it in other bands and projects. Axl is just not very eager on letting their talents be used to create more GN'R material right now, probably because he is not ready for it himself. But luckily they are not under any obligation to not be involved in musical projects outside of GN'R and hence their talents are very much free to be used in different contexts.

I don't know if Axl's lazy, at least I don't think that not caring to record more music is a sign of laziness. You can't force such things. I think it is more a lack of a muse. For all I know he can be extremely busy every day doing other things, and I am not blaming him for not taking up a regular job.

Rathers is laziness or just reluctance...this isnt a band of fellows that seem to inspire each other..especially since the only time they ever rendevous is a few weeks before rehearsal and tour together. Between 8 people- all pro's..your telling me that theres writers block? That they cant write new music and have to ride out on whats left over from the CD sessions written by former (?members?)

They may do that but indications seem to point to not. Blistering and contentious and as uncomfortable as it is..the statements of "cover band" "nostalgic act" and "hired guns" are appropriate.

There was a time GNR was authentic. They were the shit and their material was pertinent potent and had iconic history making potential. Now sitting on the sidelines watching and of course waiting..its like watching someone who is in a COMA..you check the monitor from time to time to see if there is still a heartbeat in between breaths.

Guest siliconmessiah

There was a time GNR was authentic. They were the shit and their material was pertinent potent and had iconic history making potential.

Now sitting on the sidelines watching and of course waiting..its like watching someone who is in a COMA..you check the monitor from time to time to see if there is still a heartbeat in between breaths.

This was a stunning spot-on description where GNR are in 2011.

As a fan, it has been pretty sad to see the magic fade away every year of silence from Axl. But it´s been pretty hopeful at times, but in the end, it has become nothing (other than a half-assed and unpromoted release of CD in 2008).

With only 30 days until detonation, there are more indifference and pessimistic views on this board towards Guns N´ Roses and Axl Rose than ever.

I repeat, only 30 days until confirmed Rock In Rio, and the negativity aura around GNR is mirroring 2004, where there even was a NO SHOW!

I wish it would be different, but I see them piss cups coming.

=/

Edited by siliconmessiah

One could certainly say that his stint with GNR utterly failed to make him a world class history making guitar hero.

I think being the guitarist on the Guns N´ Roses-record Chinese Democracy and toured for millions of faces is pretty world class.

Especially if Chinese Democracy is the last record that is put out by GNR - or the last before the peace between Axl & Slash. Either way, it will have it´s own place in music history.

I agree to a point there.. my context is outside of NIN and GNR fans no one knows who he is ..I mean he stepped into an ICONs shoes in the biggest band i the world at the time and spent 10 plus years of his life on and off in the studio, had no outside publicity or recognition. As a muscian myself I would have fucking hated never playing in front of a live audience for that long.. and then when I did..75% of it was who you replaced material. No avenue to really put your stamp on things. No over the top singles that tore the living shit out of the airwaves. In all the time he was with GNR they played a relatively small amount of shows. To add insult to injury.. he wasnt even in the band when his work was released and in some cases had been rerecorded.

When they line up all the world guitarists.. Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, David Gilmours ect ect.. you never hear read or see Robin Fink even mentioned.. thats what i mean by world class. The hybrid experiments of the early 2000's with the band resulted in abuse.. You had Buckethead doing his solo show within a GNR show on the left and Robin Finck doing his NIN persona to the right with Axl doing his interpretation of GNR in the middle.

I'm pretty sure Tommy would've released more solo records by now had he not been part of random Gn'R tours.

If Tommy has decided to tour with GN'R, and use his talents in that direction, rather than release more of his own music, then surely "Axl isn't wasting their talent", as you claim, Tommy wastes it himself. I don't agree with that either, because being part of a live band that has played a huge number of live concerts since the release of CD, is not wasting any talents at all, it is a great way to showcase live musician's skills. Especially not when they get to work on other projects during downtime between tours.

And now Fortus has left Thin Lizzy to tour with Gn'R.... you'd think there's more to look forward to than just a tour with Guns (inb4 "paycheck").

He seemed to feel sad that he had to leave TL.

If he really was sad then he wouldn't have left, would he? Or are you claiming he has some contract with GN'R that prevents him from leaving? ;). I would have expressed some amount of sadnes sin that same situation, myself, it is a sign of being professional and showing some courtesy to Thin Lizzy and the guys in that band. Richard is a true professional.

I guess the guys stay with GN'R because they believe it is a great way to showcase their talents, a great way to earn money, and quite frankly, really funny at times. I also believe the guys hope for more GN'R albums in the future. Prior to the release of CD the situation was a lot bleaker, and I am sure that is one of the reasons why Robin and others left the band.

I don't see how you could stand to be a member of a band you consider amazing who has one man at the helm refusing to do anything.

"Refusing to do anything"? You are aware GN'R has just finished a year with more live songs played than ever before? Touring almost continuously in 2010? You are also aware that they are embarking on another tour right now and will assemble in LA for rehearsals very shortly? You are also aware that Axl used the downtime between the tours to settle a seriously obstructing law case, hence paving the way for touring in USA?

Axl blames us for wildly speculating, we blame him for not telling us anything. We speculate because he doesn't tell us anything, he doesn't tell us anything because we speculate.

You are also not aware that Axl talked about everything during his famous chats with the fans, going at great length to explain many things fans wondered about? Just because he hasn't spoken in 2010 doesn't mean that he "never tell us anything". You act like some spoilt brat.

Guest siliconmessiah

You are also not aware that Axl talked about everything during his famous chats with the fans, going at great length to explain many things fans wondered about? Just because he hasn't spoken in 2010 doesn't mean that he "never tell us anything". You act like some spoilt brat.

But it came down that Axl was purely bullshitting us with EVERYTHING he said in the chats. Just like always.

From the "Better-video", via the new songs, via "the same bat-time same bat-channel-release of CD2" to the trilogy of albums.

The chats are not one, not two, but three years old...and all we´ve had since then is silence. That is just shit & nothing else but shit, even if someone tries to come in and defend Axl here, it´s just S-H-I-T.

Edited by siliconmessiah

Rathers is laziness or just reluctance...this isnt a band of fellows that seem to inspire each other..especially since the only time they ever rendevous is a few weeks before rehearsal and tour together. Between 8 people- all pro's..your telling me that theres writers block? That they cant write new music and have to ride out on whats left over from the CD sessions written by former (?members?)

What I said is that the band can't make and record GN'R songs without Axl. I think that is pretty obvious. And for whatever reasons, court cases included, Axl has decided not to spend the few months in-between the tours to do any new records. He might be busy working on the old material to finish the trilogy, he might be busy working on remixed with Brain, or he might be busy chillin' at the pool.

Blistering and contentious and as uncomfortable as it is..the statements of "cover band" "nostalgic act" and "hired guns" are appropriate.

Only morons would consider musicians touring and playing setlists made up of 1/3 new material which they have recorded themselves and helped to write, as a "cover band".

There was a time GNR was authentic. They were the shit and their material was pertinent potent and had iconic history making potential. Now sitting on the sidelines watching and of course waiting..its like watching someone who is in a COMA..you check the monitor from time to time to see if there is still a heartbeat in between breaths.

Watching all these "fans" crying over the fact that it is 2011 and not 1988 is really like looking at people in a coma, yes. You check the monitor from time to time by dropping in at the forum to read their endless whining to see if there still are brainwaves, but no, it's the same continuous whining even after the release of CD and a hugely successful tour and a very active year in the history of GN'R. The only conclusion is that some "fans" will never be happy unless they are transported back in time.

I repeat, only 30 days until confirmed Rock In Rio, and the negativity aura around GNR is mirroring 2004, where there even was a NO SHOW!

Haha, around this forum, yes. But real fans have migrated elsewhere leaving the whiners to rule alone.

But it came down that Axl was purely bullshitting us with EVERYTHING he said in the chats. Just like always.

From the "Better-video", via the new songs, via "the same bat-time same bat-channel-release of CD2" to the trilogy of albums.

Yes, that is really EVERYTHING he talked about.

The chats are not one, not two, but three years old...and all we´ve had since then is silence.

Ah, so you have also forgotten the interviews he did post-chats. Why do I even bother to argue with ignorant cupcakes?

Guest siliconmessiah

Watching all these "fans" crying over the fact that it is 2011 and not 1988 is really like looking at people in a coma, yes. You check the monitor from time to time by dropping in at the forum to read their endless whining to see if there still are brainwaves, but no, it's the same continuous whining even after the release of CD and a hugely successful tour and a very active year in the history of GN'R. The only conclusion is that some "fans" will never be happy unless they are transported back in time.

You are very wrong in many of your statements SoulMonster.

The fans are not crying over the fact that it is 2011. They are not satisfied, because the lead singer took hold of the name Guns N´ Roses with the promise to keep the band alive and to create new music.

That´s something that the majority of fans thought was ok, for the sake of it, many supported Axl!

Now, the same music from Chinese Democracy has been heard more or less since 2001. That´s a big reason for the fans to say "Hey, hey, hey! What the fuck seems to be the problem? This wasn´t was Axl promised."

And for the record. There was no fucking "whining" as you say when Chinese Democracy was released. It was a great time on this GNR-board, ok that half the album had been played since 2006, but well, there was a good time.

The people bitching did only bitch because it was kind of old songs released as new. We had already heard it.

Now it´s 2011. This band needs to release music to still be relevant. Street of Dreams and Madagascar is getting quite old.

Haha, around this forum, yes. But real fans have migrated elsewhere leaving the whiners to rule alone.

To gunsnfnroses.com?

Or to the censored forum htgth.com that almost gets any replys/visits anymore. It´s laughable. The core of the fans are still here, whatever you try to say.

There are over 20 people reading this topic now, at the same time. I´d say that´s pretty hot stuff, compared to every other gnr-board online..."where the real fans have migrated..." :rofl-lol:

Edited by siliconmessiah

You are very wrong in many of your statements SoulMonster.

Alas, you don't seem to be able to refute them.

The fans are not crying over the fact that it is 2011.

Exactly, the fans are pretty happy with the current situation.

Besides, who on earth promoted you to spokesperson for "the fans"? I certainly didn't give you my vote.

The people you are talking about are not fans of the current incarnation of GN'R, but fans of previous incarnation or fans of the dream they have of what they believe GN'R of 2011 should have been. They are whining dreamers, basically.

Now, the same music from Chinese Democracy has been heard more or less since 2001. That´s a big reason for the fans to say "Hey, hey, hey! What the fuck seems to be the problem? This wasn´t was Axl promised."

Oh, so the "fans" feels that Axl promised them something. Boo-hoo!

Now it´s 2011. This band needs to release music to still be relevant. Street of Dreams and Madagascar is getting quite old.

I agree.

To gunsnfnroses.com?

Haha, you're a comedian! :D

Guest siliconmessiah

Oh, so the "fans" feels that Axl promised them something. Boo-hoo!

Feels? Bo-hoo?

Axl´s own words, that he took hold of the GNR name to keep it alive and release music is in the interview with Axl on www.gunsnroses.com. You may go there and look for yourself.

To gunsnfnroses.com?

Haha, you're a comedian! :D

That was my intention actually. I am glad that it worked. =)

Your joke that "real fans" have migrated got me laughing too. I guess both you and me know that this is still the place where fans go to get the uncensored bits about GNR. And I guess that´s why you are still here too.

Edited by siliconmessiah

You'd think by now they will threaten to leave the band if they don't record new music by now. They are all hell bent on touring.

Nah. They're getting paid well. They're not going to leave if they don't write/record. The GNR name gets them a lot of attention they wouldn't normally get on their own plus they get paid to play. Why leave?

Tell that to Bucket and Robin.

I will! :)

Guest siliconmessiah

You'd think by now they will threaten to leave the band if they don't record new music by now. They are all hell bent on touring.

Nah. They're getting paid well. They're not going to leave if they don't write/record. The GNR name gets them a lot of attention they wouldn't normally get on their own plus they get paid to play. Why leave?

Tell that to Bucket and Robin.

I will! :)

Yes.

The case is especially clear when it comes to Robin. He is a true artist in heart and soul, he wants to release things.

He got tired of the situation, no doubt about it.

When it comes to Bucket, we have only heard one side of the story (Axl´s), so I won´t draw any conclusions there, until or if we´ll hear from Bucket himself.

It must have been quite a commotion though for your boss to officially hang you on the official homepage...

Edited by siliconmessiah

Axl´s own words, that he took hold of the GNR name to keep it alive and release music is in the interview with Axl on www.gunsnroses.com. You may go there and look for yourself.

Is this the quote you are referring to?: "Why keep the name? I'm literally the last man standing. Not bragging, not proud. It's been a fucking nightmare but I didn't leave Guns and I didn't drive others out. With Slash it's been nothing more than pure strategy and saving face while manipulating the public like he used to me. I earned the right to protect my efforts and to be able to take advantage of our contract I'd worked hard for where Slash's exact words were that he didn't care. I get that some like a different version or lineup the same way some like a specific team line up or a particular year of a specific car but because you and I are getting played I'm supposed to throw the baby out with the bath water?"

In any way, he might only barely have kept his promise, so far, but we don't know what will happen in the future. He has released music and he is keeping the name alive.

Your joke that "real fans" have migrated got me laughing too. I guess both you and me know that this is still the place where fans go to get the uncensored bits about GNR. And I guess that´s why you are still here too.

Nah, I just come here to pick up obscure news that has passed me by. I don't come her to interact with the so called "fans". I mean, a fan is a supporter, meaning that the majority of expression from that individual will be supportive of the current band. Every time I come here I get the feeling that there are just fans of previous incarnations and fans of what-could-have-been, who hang out here endlessly debating bygones. I prefer to stay at other fora (gnrevolution, newgnr and AFD) where the mood is less abysmal and negative. After all, compared to the last decade, this is a really good time for GN'R with a LOT of touring and a recent album release with the promise of future releases to come.

Guest siliconmessiah

this is a really good time for GN'R with a LOT of touring

and a recent album release

promise of future releases to come.

I have no idea what planet you are living on. A good time for GN´R?!

Yes. If you like nostalgia shows, or rather if you´d like, supporting a three year old album with songs that has actually been played since 2006.

Promise of future releases to come? Where, when?

I don´t see that we can come any longer in this argument.

I think you should return to some of the other forums that you mentioned. Go play with your disillusioned pals.

I´ll stay here with the core of fans and see what happens to GNR being ready to supporting them when there is something new to support other than yes, you heard right, ZOMFG Chinese Democracy.

Edited by siliconmessiah

I have no idea what planet you are living on. A good time for GN´R?!

Yes. If you like nostalgia shows, or rather if you´d like, supporting a three year old album with songs that has actually been played since 2006.

With GN'R's back catalogue it is only reasonable that a majority of the setlists, especially when the shows consist of 20+ songs, are old songs.

And yes, look back in history and tell me if 2010 wasn't one of the better years to be a GN'R fan. Most years have been a LOT worse ;).

Promise of future releases to come? Where, when?

I didn't mean it literally. But all the talk of additional songs recorded and of remixes suggests more music to come in the future. I don't know when, though. Perhaps when this tour is over.

tommy sucks.

he always said that gnr is just a good job from him.

Source?

In this day and age we should really provide sources before trying to stir shit and hurt other people's reputations without supporting evidence.

Tommy Stinson, former member of The Replacements, has two steady jobs, playing bass for both Soul Asylum and for GUNS N 'ROSES. He also has a solo album coming out, 'One Man Mutiny'.

In a new interview with U.S. website Articles Philly, Stinson was asked about the two bands.

"Soul Asylum, I know those guys since we were together at school, Dave [Pimero] and I at least," says Stinson. "They're nice guys and had fun playing together. It's a labor of love. Guns is a different thing, since it is a bunch of guys who come from every corner grouped in this musical soup, and has a totally different thing. It's a band of employees - when we compose in any way. Guns has been nothing but a good job for me for 12 years. I got no expectations. Never thought I'd stick to 12 years, but here I am. "

Source: U.S. site Articles Philly