The rasp is gone nowadays because Axl sings everything in falsetto.

quadlaser

I won't be pretentious and I'll assume you know what I mean. The "helium voice" is his falsetto. He has rarely used his full natural voice (for the big notes, at least) in the last 10 years, he wouldn't be able to catch his breath given the shape he's in.

If Axl would do some cardio, and drop the keys to the songs down 1 semitone (like metallica does, mind you), he could give us what we want. Of course this will never happen, because the people he surrounds himself with wouldn't dare tell him he's less than perfect.

I hope the rest of the band get out after this tour. In fact, those guys should just get a new singer, lol. I'd be first in line.

I won't be pretentious and I'll assume you know what I mean. The "helium voice" is his falsetto. He has rarely used his full natural voice (for the big notes, at least) in the last 10 years, he wouldn't be able to catch his breath given the shape he's in.

If Axl would do some cardio, and drop the keys to the songs down 1 semitone (like metallica does, mind you), he could give us what we want. Of course this will never happen, because the people he surrounds himself with wouldn't dare tell him he's less than perfect.

I hope the rest of the band get out after this tour. In fact, those guys should just get a new singer, lol. I'd be first in line.

I'm no great vocal analyst as apparently you are....so I'll dumb it down for the rest of us: He's so damn fat/outta physical/vocal shape he sounds like shit. Hence we get the (love the nickname...whoever came up with it) Mickie Mouse voice. LOL

This is why I don't have more stars by my name. Cuz I don't start non news worthy threads. Oh wait a minute, I think Axl sucks forever now after one show, I better get to mygnr and start a thread about it. (Sarcasm) shouldn't have to add that note but after seeing all the ridiculous things said in the last 20 hours I don't assume this audience would pick up on it.

Actually all the Gn'R songs are in D# or Drop D, which means he sings half tone lower, and sometimes either one step lower or like in normal tuning. The only songs that I remember in Drop D are Chi Dem, Sorry, and maybe Shacklers, not sure about the last one.

Dave Mustaine is going thru a similar thing, all his highs are very laid back these days.

True, I mean I'd expect some difference due to aging. But the bulk of his songs are in a more comfortable range for him. The way Axl wrote his parts demand that he work his ass off, for damn near the whole time to hit those notes.

Rafal, I know what you mean, but he's singing in the original key. What I'm saying is to sing the songs in a lower key then they were written. They were written in D# or drop D so bring them down to D or drop C#.

Whatever suckerpunch, I haven't posted anything in like, 2 years. It took me till I saw a 350 pound Axl Rose before I said anything.

Edited by quadlaser

it was his first fucking time singing since last tour. the fact that last tour he got better as it went along and the fact that the rasp was present now and then (meaning it wasnt totally gone like in 2001, 2002) should tell you something.

when he said it was the first time he sang Estranged in 18 years and said it was the 4th time the band played ever it he was being totally literal.

Edited by Lose Your Illusions

Dropping Guns songs a key would sound like shit, a vast majority of them are already down a half step to begin with.

it was his first fucking time singing since last tour. the fact that last tour he got better as it went along and the fact that the rasp was present now and then (meaning it wasnt totally gone like in 2001, 2002) should tell you something.

when he said it was the first time he sang Estranged in 18 years and said it was the 4th time the band played ever it he was being totally literal.

No, he's right, even about 2009 and 2010. He can still use his full voice if he works at it, because there's examples of this, but even in the best shows there was a ton of falsetto where he didn't used to use it.

And that'ts the point - he hadn't sang it in 18 years, just like he hasn't sang a song since the last tour. That's the point. He's not in shape, he can't perform vocally, and he has to fall back on falsetto just to finish the song.

Lol, that's what I'm saying! Practice like you play. Not get off the couch after the whole band has practiced their ass off and play...

Edit- ok that's a bit much. but you get the point.

Powerage - The songs aren't down a half step already, that's their original key. The guitars are tuned a half step down from standard. The difference between the original and tuned down version would still only be half a step - which is negligible, especially live.

Anyway, D tuning (not drop D) doesn't sound bad at all. Every single Crue album used that tuning.

Edited by quadlaser

what he's doing isn't "singing falsetto." frankie valli sings falsetto. axl is trying to sing and failing.

Yeah, I suppose so, but it is falsetto.

Like probably half the people here I have an Axl impersonation for karaoke, and sometimes I can make it full and growl and pretty cool, and other times it's just a clean high falsetto because I'm out of breath and my voice is tired and if I'm not careful I can slip into that by default because I don't have good vocal control.

It's hard to explain but I feel like I know what he's doing there because I've experienced that with my own "singing". He's either got no control, or he's intentionally doing the only thing he can to finish the song.

sheesh!

I like how none of you mention the fact that he was SINGING OUTDOORS IN THE RAIN, which is voice suicide. Not to mention that Rio is, last I checked, a somewhat "tropical" climate, which is gonna fuck with any non-native's voice. Throw in the rain, the lights, and the fact that I'm sure his mix was fucked due to the obvious technical difficulties....you have a recipe for a shit show. He probably couldn't give anymore without fucking himself for the next three shows, which would have only caused leetle beeshes to whine about a reunion or something. As for his physical shape...he's kicked plenty of ass looking the way he currently looks. it's perfectly within his grasp to look how he looked when we first saw him, but at his age that takes work he obviously isn't willing to do. It's his life, after all....

those guys should just get a new singer, lol. I'd be first in line.

1st in line for BBF's seamstress, maybe. If you had 1/2 of what it takes to sing like that every night at age 50, you wouldn't be hanging out on this forum.

Do you mean nowdays as in yesterday?

Because this is what he sounded like in Oct 2010:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnH0DZSfX74

I'm not saying that Axl can't do it. I'm saying that he hasn't sounded consistently like that for awhile. You just can't do that shit unless your lungs and heart are in awesome shape. Instead you get this falsetto shit.

sheesh!

I like how none of you mention the fact that he was SINGING OUTDOORS IN THE RAIN, which is voice suicide. Not to mention that Rio is, last I checked, a somewhat "tropical" climate, which is gonna fuck with any non-native's voice. Throw in the rain, the lights, and the fact that I'm sure his mix was fucked due to the obvious technical difficulties....you have a recipe for a shit show. He probably couldn't give anymore without fucking himself for the next three shows, which would have only caused leetle beeshes to whine about a reunion or something. As for his physical shape...he's kicked plenty of ass looking the way he currently looks. it's perfectly within his grasp to look how he looked when we first saw him, but at his age that takes work he obviously isn't willing to do. It's his life, after all....

as long as you're making excuses, can you come up with one for not knowing the fucking words to the songs?

You just had to make a thread for this, didn't ya?

theres one solution to all this. release a live dvd from 2010. no one will ever even bother with youtube vidoes then. the only problem with that, is honestly, besides us, no one was watching. i like hard rock a lot, i had no idea metallica played down there. rio 01 was huge news cuz no one had seen axl rose in so long. but every show he plays that is pro shot, is really only big news to us.