Why does this band play with Axl?

Loaded

I don't get why Tommy's there. Never will. :shrugs:

What else is he going to do. Without this he'd be playing clubs in the night and flipping burgers during the day. I'm realistic enough to know why he's there.

Um, he's Tommy Stinson. He was in The motherfucking Replacements. He could be doing all manner of creative and productive things. I don't care how much money he's making, the fact that he's been there for so long mystifies me. :shrugs:

yeah. tommy's been at it since he was 14. his burger flipping days have been over for a while.

in fact, as i've said before, tommy's the only guy in gnr (other than axl) that belongs in the RRHoF.

My comment was harsh and I retract it. I was only trying to highlight the fact that anything he would be doing would not be in the same league as "being in GNR". I think he knows that and that's why he's there.

That's true. None of them ever had any gig comparable to being in GnR. Maybe only Fortus, but nothing steady. It's their job, not their hobby, you know. They play to live, not live to play.

I agree. It is a big thing to be in GNR. It's about being smart as well, it's a safe gig for them all.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My comment was harsh and I retract it. I was only trying to highlight the fact that anything he would be doing would not be in the same league as "being in GNR". I think he knows that and that's why he's there.

Financially, sure.

Edited by Angelica

After watching Rio, i really don't get it. Aren't they embarrassed being on the same stage with him? I'm embarrassed that i'm a fan of Axl.

You could say that they do it because there is a fat paycheck?

Loyalty?

They enjoy it?

You're so full of shit. If you really meant what you said, you'd leave. But no, you want attention. Just like all the other dipshits.

Perhaps you should take a trip through memory lane and go watch all the fucked up poor performances from the previous iterations of this band.

Axl was extremely pitchy and and very rusty, not to mention completely out of shape. Big fuckin deal!

You're just another moron with internet access.

Fixed it for you...and of all those fucked up shows during the UYI tours, Axl never, ever sounded as terrible as he did the other night. Take off the blinders.

For me, Axl sounded good on the UYI tour. Not in the sense that he would ever be able to be a member of the three tenors, but the energy and passion was there. His way of singing live was his trademark. It wasn't polished but it still sounded good. The other night sounded embarassing. He sounded like a comedic mexican on helium at some points in the songs. Especially at the end of CD. Watching him on YCBM, KOHD AND PC was just painful to see.

He was rusty. That's all it is. He didn't practice. BIG FUCKING DEAL. That's how Axl rolls. If you didn't know that by now, then you're no Guns n Roses fan.

THAT is rock n' roll. The singer is on the stage practicing when the only other people on stage are roadies. He - the band leader - calls the shots, starts rehearsal without waiting for the band. THAT is how rock at this level works. The difference between Allen Iverson and Michael Jordan isn't talent, it's practice. It's putting in the hours that performance at the highest level requires, nay, DEMANDS of you. Axl Rose is and will always be Iverson with his shitty attitude and refusal to treat his job like what it is. This is the most glaring instance of it, but it's really just pathetic at this point. He got his dictatorial style from watching Mick. I wish the work ethic that Mick has - the characteristic that earns him the right to lead like that - had rubbed off as much. Michael Jagger and Michael Jordan have more in common than first names and last initials. They work. Axl doesn't, and that's a damned shame. The man is one of the purest, rawest talents in RnR, and with some work, he could have been the greatest ever.

EDIT: And here's one in a more formal setting if you're going to pull the "It was a spontaneous song, and spontaneity is rock n roll" card

Edited by axlslash

He was rusty. That's all it is. He didn't practice. BIG FUCKING DEAL. That's how Axl rolls. If you didn't know that by now, then you're no Guns n Roses fan.

THAT is rock n' roll. The singer is on the stage practicing when the only other people on stage are roadies. He - the band leader - calls the shots, starts rehearsal without waiting for the band. THAT is how rock at this level works. The difference between Allen Iverson and Michael Jordan isn't talent, it's practice. It's putting in the hours that performance at the highest level requires, nay, DEMANDS of you. Axl Rose is and will always be Iverson with his shitty attitude and refusal to treat his job like what it is. This is the most glaring instance of it, but it's really just pathetic at this point. He got his dictatorial style from watching Mick. I wish the work ethic that Mick has - the characteristic that earns him the right to lead like that - had rubbed off as much. Michael Jagger and Michael Jordan have more in common than first names and last initials. They work. Axl doesn't, and that's a damned shame. The man is one of the purest, rawest talents in RnR, and with some work, he could have been the greatest ever.

That's it. Put in the work, be as great as you can or don't turn up and insult the world.

i'm definitely not and will never-ever be embarrassed of being a fan of Axl and the band...for so many reasons, but I am 100% embarrassed of that show...I still can't believe that this happened...I wish I could delete all the videos of that show off youtube...because I keep going back to watch and then re-watch it and every time I'm like...what the fuck is going on...all that great chemistry, all the passion, all the talent that was there during the previous tour is just gone...it sounds and looks like they've just met and this is their first rehearsal...and I guess that's sort of true...

I think Axl thought that he could get away with just jumping on the plane like he did in Rio 91, Rio 01 and many other occasions...for the Hammerstein shows the band rehearsed together and they were fucking great...that was a great start to the tour...Taipei was OK, a little rough but it looked like he'd been rehearsing...but this fucking rio '11 he looked like he was so confused about what was happening around him...like he'd just woken up and landed on the stage...and been like holy shit, there's millions of people watching me...it makes me so sad to see the band and frontman that I care about in such a terrible condition...it's like watching a family member in a hospital bed

I'm so disappointed that words can't describe, I've been fucking thinking about this shit for 2 days...I really hope that it gets better as the tour goes on...I still have hope...and history has shown that Axl performs the best when he's the underdog...I mean he literally is the quintessential underdog of rock music...and that's what fuels him, so I hope that he takes full advantage of that...I thought 1993-2001 was the low point of the band but at least there was mystery and expectations and you didn't know what to expect..but in Rio the low point was visual...and it was really scary to witness, I'd never seen the man who I had so much respect for in a such a vulnerable position...it's like all his ethos his mojo had been stripped away and he was just there in some sort of a physical form...walking about...the shadow of the man that I once knew to be the best of the best....

i'm definitely not and will never-ever be embarrassed of being a fan of Axl and the band...for so many reasons, but I am 100% embarrassed of that show...I still can't believe that this happened...I wish I could delete all the videos of that show off youtube...because I keep going back to watch and then re-watch it and every time I'm like...what the fuck is going on...all that great chemistry, all the passion, all the talent that was there during the previous tour is just gone...it sounds and looks like they've just met and this is their first rehearsal...and I guess that's sort of true...

I think Axl thought that he could get away with just jumping on the plane like he did in Rio 91, Rio 01 and many other occasions...for the Hammerstein shows the band rehearsed together and they were fucking great...that was a great start to the tour...Taipei was OK, a little rough but it looked like he'd been rehearsing...but this fucking rio '11 he looked like he was so confused about what was happening around him...like he'd just woken up and landed on the stage...and been like holy shit, there's millions of people watching me...it makes me so sad to see the band and frontman that I care about in such a terrible condition...it's like watching a family member in a hospital bed

I'm so disappointed that words can't describe, I've been fucking thinking about this shit for 2 days...I really hope that it gets better as the tour goes on...I still have hope...and history has shown that Axl performs the best when he's the underdog...I mean he literally is the quintessential underdog of rock music...and that's what fuels him, so I hope that he takes full advantage of that...I thought 1993-2001 was the low point of the band but at least there was mystery and expectations and you didn't know what to expect..but in Rio the low point was visual...and it was really scary to witness, I'd never seen the man who I had so much respect for in a such a vulnerable position...it's like all his ethos his mojo had been stripped away and he was just there in some sort of a physical form...walking about...the shadow of the man that I once knew to be the best of the best....

As many lows as this band has had, there can be no doubt that this night was the lowest in GNR's history.

The worse thing is, it completely ruins the fact that they were strong last year. The world just sees that performance and writes them off as a joke. Because of his arrogance, he has undone anything that has been done to give this new band credibility. Guns N' Roses have been completely humiliated on the world stage.

Guest ben9785

Well they have their reasons, for business benefit or otherwise, but It would be great for all these guys to record together, with Tommy or Ron or Dizzy or someone else on vocals, and get an album out. They sound great.

They stick around because, when its good, its amazing. Axl has an amazing voice when its in top condition, as showed by last year. Its a great voice to record with, and at times Axl seems to be a decent guy to be around. But as for all the bullshit that they put up with, its probably because its Gun N' FUCKING Roses, what else? Your playing one of the biggest names in the world, playing brilliant songs, and getting a nice payday in the end as well. Guns shows always have great solo spotlights that let the musicians shows off their talent as well. It's a lot of fun to play Guns N Roses tunes in general (from what I can play at least) and playing them in front of a large crowd has got to be even more amazing. Honestly, yes at times their talent does get wasted because of Axl's laziness or perfectionism. However, ask yourself, why do you put up with Axl and the band? You don't get paid to do it, your not recognized by thousands of people for playing an awesome show, the people who you do know who really care about GNR are probably 100's of miles away from you, etc. Think about that before you ask why the people who get paid to play do.

If it wasn't for Axl, this band wouldn't have came together. Axl did great at Rio. What did you people expect? You should by now that he doesn't rehearse, and that the first show in almost a year isn't gonna be perfect.

He did so great and was so happy with himself, he immediately ran off after PC and didn't even bother coming back to bow to the crowd.

Honestly, what is your problem?

Why can't you admit he was woeful?

That's it. Put in the work, be as great as you can or don't turn up and insult the world.

Slash from his sound check in Milan last year. They added Rocket Queen and Fall to Pieces for the first time. Now even though Myles is not going balls out saving his voice for the show that night, it fucking helps the bands (and Myles) timing to have the guy singing there.

They were only playing in front of a few thousand people that night, but felt it important as a band to be prepared. That is what professionalism and respecting your fans is all about.

There is no reason other than laziness and a commitment to always doing the bare minimum that Axl can't go through the motions with his bandmates going through songs.

Slash from his sound check in Milan last year. They added Rocket Queen and Fall to Pieces for the first time. Now even though Myles is not going balls out saving his voice for the show that night, it fucking helps the bands (and Myles) timing to have the guy singing there.

They were only playing in front of a few thousand people that night, but felt it important as a band to be prepared. That is what professionalism and respecting your fans is all about.

There is no reason other than laziness and a commitment to always doing the bare minimum that Axl can't go through the motions with his bandmates going through songs.

Great post. One conclusion can only be made. Slash respects his fans, Axl does not. This is clear.