GN'R comment on late starts etc

gunsguy

Its just personal for me I guess, it hurts that I cant go to the show on Halloween because of this. I saw them in 1992 and have waited 19 years to see them again. Now I finally have a chance and because of my fear of not getting back in time for work the next day is keeping me away. I was able to get halloween day off, but not the next one. My daughter was sick recently and I had to use up all my vacation/sick time to be with her, so its not as simple as just "taking a sick day off" like people claim. And being the show is three hours from where I live, I cant risk getting home, with no sleep, and trying to go to work all day, its just not possible.

It sucks, but life goes on I guess. Just reading that really bothered me, knowing what I would give to see them again. I dont know what else to say.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its just personal for me I guess, it hurts that I cant go to the show on Halloween because of this. I saw them in 1992 and have waited 19 years to see them again. Now I finally have a chance and because of my fear of not getting back in time for work the next day is keeping me away. I was able to get halloween day off, but not the next one. My daughter was sick recently and I had to use up all my vacation/sick time to be with her, so its not as simple as just "taking a sick day off" like people claim. And being the show is three hours from where I live, I cant risk getting home, with no sleep, and trying to go to work all day, its just not possible.

It sucks, but life goes on I guess. Just reading that really bothered me, knowing what I would give to see them again. I dont know what else to say.

I'm sorry you don't get to go to the show, and it does truly suck.

BUT

Would the show getting out two or three hours earlier make the rest of those things go away? I don't really see a couple of hours making that big of an impact.

I think the thing that really caught my attention was the "if you don't like the late starts than you are not a fan"

Cause even though I don't like the late starts it doesn't bother me as much as some people - but I can see where they are coming from and I wanted to defend them because like mahimahi, he is a fan but can't go because of the late starts. That doesn't mean he is more or less a fan it just means he doesn't like the fact that he can't take the chance to go to a show that will be very late and would compromise his work the next day (or later that morning lol)

I agree with the fact that the "cupcakes' who are disrespectful and constantly say stupid shit for the sole purpose of pissing people off are annoying - but that is a different issue not relating to people who don't like the late starts

And a few hours really does make an impact. Especially where I live - in Los Angeles a couple of hours can make a HUGE difference regarding traffic

Edited by WhazUp

BUT

Would the show getting out two or three hours earlier make the rest of those things go away? I don't really see a couple of hours making that big of an impact.

When I saw Metallica a few years ago at the same venue their opening act started at 7:00pm, Metallica was on by 8:00pm. They played a good 2 1/2 hour show, it was over at 10:30pm, and I was back home by about 1:30am. Got a few hours sleep and went to work. It sucked, I was tired, but I could handle that. However, say GNR dont hit the stage until 11:00pm, that means if I stay for the whole show I get home at about 6:00am, no time for any sleep. And I have to have some sleep because I work 12 hour shifts. Also, now I have a wife and baby girl, then I didnt. So it was easier to go to the show and survive on a few hours sleep. And if I go

I dont want to leave half way through the set, what would be the point?

So the few hours do make a huge difference for me. Even if Axl went on at 9-9:30, I could watch most of the show and leave before seeing nighttrain/Paradise City, I could probably even do that. I just simply cant chance not knowing when they will go on, and that sucks.

I don't know what to tell you. Ya that sucks, but there are far more important things then seeing this band.

I think the thing that really caught my attention was the "if you don't like the late starts than you are not a fan"

Cause even though I don't like the late starts it doesn't bother me as much as some people - but I can see where they are coming from and I wanted to defend them because like mahimahi, he is a fan but can't go because of the late starts. That doesn't mean he is more or less a fan it just means he doesn't like the fact that he can't take the chance to go to a show that will be very late and would compromise his work the next day (or later that morning lol)

I agree with the fact that the "cupcakes' who are disrespectful and constantly say stupid shit for the sole purpose of pissing people off are annoying - but that is a different issue not relating to people who don't like the late starts

And a few hours really does make an impact. Especially where I live - in Los Angeles a couple of hours can make a HUGE difference regarding traffic

You'll notice, though, that it was never anything either of you said (unless it was directly to me) that I was referring to. My very first post in this thread sums it up. Don't show up and bash the band. This guy who 'never had anything negative to say before' is running off at the mouth, calling everybody dickface and whatnot, and missing the point that this is just a part of this band's essence.

An earlier poster even demonstrated that there are warnings to the wait time right on the tickets... what more do you need?

When people expect another person to behave by their own set of arbitrary rules it gets annoying.

BUT

When I saw Metallica a few years ago at the same venue their opening act started at 7:00pm, Metallica was on by 8:00pm. They played a good 2 1/2 hour show, it was over at 10:30pm, and I was back home by about 1:30am. Got a few hours sleep and went to work. It sucked, I was tired, but I could handle that. However, say GNR dont hit the stage until 11:00pm, that means if I stay for the whole show I get home at about 6:00am, no time for any sleep. And I have to have some sleep because I work 12 hour shifts. Also, now I have a wife and baby girl, then I didnt. So it was easier to go to the show and survive on a few hours sleep. And if I go

I dont want to leave half way through the set, what would be the point?

So the few hours do make a huge difference for me. Even if Axl went on at 9-9:30, I could watch most of the show and leave before seeing nighttrain/Paradise City, I could probably even do that. I just simply cant chance not knowing when they will go on, and that sucks.

ahhh.. you see, this is where youth has its advantages. I can stay up for 2 days straight and not even blink an eye. no joke, no drugs.

ahhh.. you see, this is where youth has its advantages. I can stay up for 2 days straight and not even blink an eye. no joke, no drugs.

I miss those days. Im no old fart, but im definitely not a spring chicken either. When I saw Metallica/GNR/Faith No More back in 1992, I dont think I really slept for three days I was so exicited about that show and how amazing it was.

If I was younger I would probably just get some adderall, or maybe a little coke and just go for it. Cant do that now, and coffee doesnt do anything for me haha

I miss those days. Im no old fart, but im definitely not a spring chicken either. When I saw Metallica/GNR/Faith No More back in 1992, I dont think I really slept for three days I was so exicited about that show and how amazing it was.

If I was younger I would probably just get some adderall, or maybe a little coke and just go for it. Cant do that now, and coffee doesnt do anything for me haha

You guys are all right. :)

I'm glad we got to chat.

But then again we were just tossed about by the waves of our uncontrolled hormons and emotions. :rofl-lol: I seriously like the calmness of getting older.

But then again we were just tossed about by the waves of our uncontrolled hormons and emotions. :rofl-lol: I seriously like the calmness of getting older.

Those hormones are a lot of god damned fun.

You guys are all right. :)

I'm glad we got to chat.

I am sorry if I seemed too combative, since this is the internet things can get heated from time to time but its been a nice debate and chatting with you guys

Its better than going "fuck you, you are wrong" lol. I am glad we all can have an intelligent debate and not resort to name calling

Edited by WhazUp

Interesting that Axl pulls the late starts when he thinks he can get away with it, other places not. EX- when Guns opened for the Stones he wasn't 2 hours late, VMA's he was on time, Freddie Mercury tribute concert he went on when told, HOF induction of Elton he was on time. He didn't have the power to pull 2 hour late stunts in these instances. All these show's woulda rolled along without him, he knew he couldn't play games.

Apparently the old "This is Guns N'Roses and when the time is right the stage will ignite" didn't exist at these events?

Interesting that Axl pulls the late starts when he thinks he can get away with it, other places not. EX- when Guns opened for the Stones he wasn't 2 hours late, VMA's he was on time, Freddie Mercury tribute concert he went on when told, HOF induction of Elton he was on time. He didn't have the power to pull 2 hour late stunts in these instances. All these show's woulda rolled along without him, he knew he couldn't play games.

Apparently the old "This is Guns N'Roses and when the time is right the stage will ignite" didn't exist at these events?

Awesome job man, you can name 4 shows in the last 20+ years. You deserve a cookie.

Awesome job man, you can name 4 shows in the last 20+ years. You deserve a cookie.

What, he made a perfectly clear point. Many of these performances were great, despite Axl not choosing the start time himself. He HAS the ability.

Dude- my point is Axl can/will show on time when he doesn't have the power. He can show whenever he wants (1.5+hours late) when he headlines, but when someone else holds power he can't get away with it. Also, he would have never dissed Elton or Freddie like that. Do you think they woulda waited 2 hours for the Freddie concert because Axl wanted to be late, nope. He had no choice. So either Axl is a hypocrite or "the time was right" coincidentally at the aforementioned events. If he makes us wait, why didn't he have balls to pull that stunt at these events? Wouldn't that really be "rock n roll" to make the (hundreds of thousands watching and in attendance) at the Freddie show or VMA wait 2 hours? Or to make Elton wait at his own induction, Axl should showed like at midnight....but nope, he behaves when he has to.

Dude- my point is Axl can/will show on time when he doesn't have the power. He can show whenever he wants (1.5+hours late) when he headlines, but when someone else holds power he can't get away with it. Also, he would have never dissed Elton or Freddie like that. Do you think they woulda waited 2 hours for the Freddie concert because Axl wanted to be late, nope. He had no choice. So either Axl is a hypocrite or "the time was right" coincidentally at the aforementioned events. If he makes us wait, why didn't he have balls to pull that stunt at these events? Wouldn't that really be "rock n roll" to make the (hundreds of thousands watching and in attendance) at the Freddie show or VMA wait 2 hours? Or to make Elton wait at his own induction, Axl should showed like at midnight....but nope, he behaves when he has to.

The VMA's were probably the most horrible performance Axl has ever put on and he hasn't signed on for anything like that since then. Coincidence?

The VMA's were probably the most horrible performance Axl has ever put on and he hasn't signed on for anything like that since then. Coincidence?

He coulda gone on at 3AM and still woulda been a joke of a show. Also- Freddie Mercury show was one of the best...he kicked ass.

He coulda gone on at 3AM and still woulda been a joke of a show. Also- Freddie Mercury show was one of the best...he kicked ass.

Freddy Mercury was his idol, I think that had something to do with it too. I agree, when Axl wants to, he can bring it at a set time

Freddy Mercury was his idol, I think that had something to do with it too. I agree, when Axl wants to, he can bring it at a set time

While we're talking about it.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e63eoji1d0I

It's not "rock and roll" to be late at a concert. But I can't help but laugh thinking about the Reading Festival incident where the power was cut and they kept playing. That would be funny if they ended every show that way.

What's really 'funny" and made me "laugh" is when the crowd wanted the show to continue and were singing along to Paradise.....

That's the best example of how it IS very rock n' roll (whatever that definition could mean, as it is very intangible)

No doubt, when Axl absolutely has no choice but to go on stage right on time, he will. If there's a real, concrete schedule involved what choice does he have? In his concerts, he does have a choice - and we see what he prefers. For 20+ years, this is what he prefers, yet we still feel inclined to complain about it.

I, for one, would have LOVED to be at that Reading show, singing along to Axl and his megaphone... what a moment.