Axl's most impressive vocal moment

Stro

The "welcome to the jungle" after the second scream amazes me every single time, both live and on AFD. More so live when he hits a 10 second scream that should kill his voice, but then he jumps it up an octave with no break even when he's not having a good voice night. It's crazy. I literally get goosebumps every time at that part no matter how many times I've heard it. That's the ultimate Axl to me. Those few seconds. Just unstoppable.

The "You know it's true" scream in IRS, the final closing scream in Ain't It Fun, the rapid-fire verse in You Could Be Mine, the fast verses of Garden of Eden, the There Was a Time screams, the final parts of Street of Dreams, and of course, the Welcome to the Jungle scream. He impresses me a lot.

I think he tends to shine the most on the endings of the songs where he breaks away from verse and chorus and just freewheels it - Coma, Rocket Queen, Catcher in the Rye, even the smaller ones in Sorry and Chinese Democracy. I used to not like Catcher in the Rye much but I'd skip to the final 2 minutes to hear that, and with Coma, I just put it too about 3 minutes left when I don't have time for the full song.

Yep. I'd say the intro to WTTJ at Rock am Ring 2006 is the best thing I've hear in music. Ever. Gives me goosebumps every time! Rock in rio '91(?) ain't bad either!

I love the Rock am Ring show too. WTTJ starts off great with a 30 second scream from Axl.

Just saw the RIR 1991 version for the first time in a while. That intro was a bit rough, but Axl's voice throughout the song is great with the rasp & scratchy vocals. Is it me, but the rest of the band (Slash, Izzy, and Duff) all seem really low key during that song? Axl is ripping it up and having a wild time, but the rest of the guys look like they are just going thru the motions. The current lineup seems to have more fun with the song.

Could be due to when they played WTTJ in the setlist in 1991 compared to the 2nd song these days.

As soon as Axl says "Do you know where you are", that's it for me! I'm gonna go crazy! I can't wait to hear this song live!

Yeah, Axl's screams and then the Oh my God, fuckin awesome!

I hope he says "Dallas do you know where you are?" That's it for me, I'll be nuts for the rest of the night! lol

[quote name=dalsh327' timestamp='1320245681'

post='2944065]

This

The "You know it's true" scream in IRS

We'll never know if he did that live in the studio. If he did, you know he took a vacation right after that. I don't think he hits that note in the live versions of that song.

Yes he does. I've seen it.

Edited by wasteofammo

Studio wise, I always loved Axl's vocals during the "Pleeeease understand me!!" in 'Coma', "My hands are tied" from 'Civil War', and in the original 'Better' demo, I fucking LOVED the "You know I know you know better" line. Can't understand why they changed that one. But live, he's really nailing the Jungle intro scream, and his LALD screams are always great. But really, his entire Jungle vocals and delivery just keep getting better and better. He sings it with some much grit...

post='2944065]

This

We'll never know if he did that live in the studio. If he did, you know he took a vacation right after that. I don't think he hits that note in the live versions of that song.

I believe that he did it in studio, but he doesn't hit that note live. Listen to any of the live versions. The long "truuuuuuuuuuuuuuue" on the record is an F#, live he sings a C#.

post='2944065]

This

I believe that he did it in studio, but he doesn't hit that note live. Listen to any of the live versions. The long "truuuuuuuuuuuuuuue" on the record is an F#, live he sings a C#.

I've never ever heard a bootleg where he even tries to have a proper go at the IRS scream; he always goes way low, and I don't know why because he hits really high for Heaven's Door, Jungle and other stuff all the time. It always bums me out because that IRS scream is the payoff but he always bottles it. He doesn't have to hit the same key as the record but he doesn't even try and go near it. Prove me wrong with a vid if i've missed it.