Chicago, Illinois - 11 - 15 - 2011 Setlist, Pictures, Video etc.

tsunta

Great show, couple things not mentioned...

DJ and Ron chugging bottles of Jäger together on stage

DJ slid and hit an arena security woman in the head lightly with his guitar to tease her, she looked very upset

Axl told a quick story 'I was at a gas station two days ago after the show, and was talking to the lady about movies and stuff like that when she turns to her friend and says "guns n roses were in town today and I heard Axl was very well behaved and came on stage at a decent time, which is good because he is a real snot sometimes" needless to say she and I are buddies now.'

Someone threw a banner with happy birthday chris on stage and they sang happy birthday for him.

haha great story! Anyone have a vid with Axl telling this? Would really appreciate it!!

I remember this, he named a specific popular movie too, but I can't recall what it was. A video would be nice!

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys for those amazing updates and reviews! I am glad that everyone had a rockin time. Makes me sooo happy, that the US is loving this band. Fn awesome to see another full house! Kinda funny that people/haters were saying this tour would be a fail. Wrong!

Nightrain

Man, when Axl sings "Nightrain, I can never get enough....Nightrain...never to return" at 2:00 - 2:10, he sounds perfect....perfect.

Also, Fortus' full body power chords at 2:50 ish fucking pump me up. I love how much he gets into it. rock3

Edited by DrBrownstone

Very positive review. Sorry if posted elsewhere (mods, please delete if that's the case)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/ct-ent-1117-guns-n-roses-20111117,0,6268429.story

By Bob Gendron, Special to the Tribune

8:36 a.m. CST, November 16, 2011

While the current Guns N' Roses cast barely bears resemblance to the incarnation that sold millions of records in the early 90s, holdover traits remain: The group continues to take the stage late and put on marathon shows. Tuesday at a near-capacity Allstate Arena, the ensemble made an 11:10 p.m. start mostly worth the wait with an energetic three-hour concert far superior to its disastrous 2002 and uneven 2006 performances at the same venue. For what seems like the first time since everyone but enigmatic leader Axl Rose left the original lineup nearly two decades ago, Guns N' Roses amounted to more than just a declining, primarily anonymous covers band content to feast on nostalgia.

It helped that Rose was in excellent spirits and voice. He capably nailed rafter-scraping highs and cackling wails, even channeling deceased AC/DC singer Bon Scott's rowdy shrieks during scorching renditions of the Australian band's "Whole Lotta Rosie" and "Riff Raff." Wearing designer jeans and an assortment of leather jackets and fedoras, the 49-year-old front man resembled a Sunset Strip hustler. Rose's handlebar mustache, bracelets and gaudy, finger-choking rings completed a sleazy demeanor that complemented the strip-club slide of "Rocket Queen" and vitriolic spite of "Better."

Along with the reappearance of his signature bandanna and circle-based microphone stand, the vocalist revived classic moves in the form of wind sprints, leg kicks, crossover shuffles and suggestive hand signals. Visibly having fun and utilizing monitors as a platform, he cut down on the frequency of back stage trips for oxygen, and when present, usually stayed in motion.

So did guitarist DJ Ashba. The band's latest recruit brought to the melodies a fluidity, finesse and soulfulness sorely absent since Guns N' Roses' heyday, instilling favorites such as "Sweet Child O' Mine" and "Mr. Brownstone" with a tonal character that swaggered rather than simply slammed. It's still a mystery as to why the group requires three guitarists and two keyboardists. Nonetheless, the members interacted as a unit, convincingly integrating newer "Chinese Democracy" material with older fare, and playing at a level where the crowd needn't mentally fill in missing notes.

No longer essential as harmless distractions, either, were pyrotechnics that punctuated songs. Other excesses worked against the group. Four instrumental interludes and multiple jams interrupted momentum. A few bloated tunes, including "Madagascar," also dragged down the pace.

Yet Rose's dramatic deliveries turned several sweeping ballads into poignant mediations on unrequited love ("November Rain"), anguished loss ("This I Love") and antagonistic relationships ("Sorry"). A cathartic reading of "Estranged," a 1991 epic dusted off for this tour, presented in intimate fashion the emotional dichotomies, illusory perceptions and inward struggles that have seemingly consumed Rose throughout his career. In opting for vulnerability over anger, and sentimentality over menace, the less-reckless Guns N' Roses reticently hinted at redemption. Too bad it's taken so long.

Very positive review. Sorry if posted elsewhere (mods, please delete if that's the case)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/ct-ent-1117-guns-n-roses-20111117,0,6268429.story

By Bob Gendron, Special to the Tribune

8:36 a.m. CST, November 16, 2011

While the current Guns N' Roses cast barely bears resemblance to the incarnation that sold millions of records in the early 90s, holdover traits remain: The group continues to take the stage late and put on marathon shows. Tuesday at a near-capacity Allstate Arena, the ensemble made an 11:10 p.m. start mostly worth the wait with an energetic three-hour concert far superior to its disastrous 2002 and uneven 2006 performances at the same venue. For what seems like the first time since everyone but enigmatic leader Axl Rose left the original lineup nearly two decades ago, Guns N' Roses amounted to more than just a declining, primarily anonymous covers band content to feast on nostalgia.

It helped that Rose was in excellent spirits and voice. He capably nailed rafter-scraping highs and cackling wails, even channeling deceased AC/DC singer Bon Scott's rowdy shrieks during scorching renditions of the Australian band's "Whole Lotta Rosie" and "Riff Raff." Wearing designer jeans and an assortment of leather jackets and fedoras, the 49-year-old front man resembled a Sunset Strip hustler. Rose's handlebar mustache, bracelets and gaudy, finger-choking rings completed a sleazy demeanor that complemented the strip-club slide of "Rocket Queen" and vitriolic spite of "Better."

Along with the reappearance of his signature bandanna and circle-based microphone stand, the vocalist revived classic moves in the form of wind sprints, leg kicks, crossover shuffles and suggestive hand signals. Visibly having fun and utilizing monitors as a platform, he cut down on the frequency of back stage trips for oxygen, and when present, usually stayed in motion.

So did guitarist DJ Ashba. The band's latest recruit brought to the melodies a fluidity, finesse and soulfulness sorely absent since Guns N' Roses' heyday, instilling favorites such as "Sweet Child O' Mine" and "Mr. Brownstone" with a tonal character that swaggered rather than simply slammed. It's still a mystery as to why the group requires three guitarists and two keyboardists. Nonetheless, the members interacted as a unit, convincingly integrating newer "Chinese Democracy" material with older fare, and playing at a level where the crowd needn't mentally fill in missing notes.

No longer essential as harmless distractions, either, were pyrotechnics that punctuated songs. Other excesses worked against the group. Four instrumental interludes and multiple jams interrupted momentum. A few bloated tunes, including "Madagascar," also dragged down the pace.

Yet Rose's dramatic deliveries turned several sweeping ballads into poignant mediations on unrequited love ("November Rain"), anguished loss ("This I Love") and antagonistic relationships ("Sorry"). A cathartic reading of "Estranged," a 1991 epic dusted off for this tour, presented in intimate fashion the emotional dichotomies, illusory perceptions and inward struggles that have seemingly consumed Rose throughout his career. In opting for vulnerability over anger, and sentimentality over menace, the less-reckless Guns N' Roses reticently hinted at redemption. Too bad it's taken so long.

Very nice!

Another good review:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/music/2011/11/guns_n_roses_want_to_rock_and_.html

Axl Rose and his hired guns -- still parading around under the name Guns N' Roses, even though the creative core of that band dissolved two decades ago -- are now more famous for their delays than their music. Not only did it take 17 years to produce the band's so-so latest album, 2008's "Chinese Democracy," Rose and his crew are notoriously late arriving on stage for concerts. Tuesday night's start time at the Allstate Arena was 9 p.m., but the Guns didn't fire until 11:10 p.m. By 2 a.m., the final confetti was just starting to fall.

"You want 8 o'clock shows, go find F-R-I-E-N-D-S or hit a cinema somewhere," read a recent Axl-ish post from Guns N' Roses on the band's Facebook page. "This is Rock N' Roll! ... This is Guns N' Roses and when the time is right the stage will ignite."

Given the unnerving professionalism and tightly regimented scheduling that now rules most pop concerts, at least give Rose credit for thumbing his nose at your day job and shaking us nearly all night long. I'd almost forgotten the anticipation, anger and at least some momentary sense of long-forgotten mystery (each a vital ingredient for rock and roll) generated by a simple late start.

The trick is, when you finally show up, to give the crowd something worth waiting for.

This reconstituted GNR, touring for the first time since the release of "Chinese Democracy," hit the stage and largely acquitted themselves as perhaps something just barely more than a wicked GNR cover band. Last month, Billy Corgan and the latest roster of Smashing Pumpkins blew through town and pounded the Riviera Theatre; likewise, Axl & Friends were happy to have a mostly full arena of fans who came for his klaxon wail and kicking shimmy rather than to grouse about absent top hats and buckets.

This GNR doesn't just cover GNR, either -- they covered everybody. Each of the three, count 'em three, guitarists enjoyed a showcase solo, with the nimble Richard Fortus torturing the James Bond theme (as an entry point for the pyro-filled "Live and Let Die," of course), newest member D.J. Ashba knitting "Mi Amor" and top-knotted Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal tiptoeing through the Pink Panther theme. After former Replacements bassist Tommy Stinson (read our interview here) sang the Who's "My Generation," pianist Dizzy Reed followed with a Yanni-worthy instrumental of "Baba O'Riley."

The band was most alive during the two, count 'em two, AC/DC covers -- first "Riff Raff," with Fortus beating the holy hell out of his guitar, and "Whole Lotta Rosie," a blast of musical pyro that Rose sang with a perfectly blissful, slightly evil grin. Most of Tuesday night, we saw a happy, boyish Rose, now 49 and paunchy, joshing with bandmates and tossing mike stands around the stage with joyful abandon. By 1 a.m., this infectious energy did more to keep the crowd awake and engaged than the occasional cannon blasts.

The set was heavy on new songs -- yet another defiant Rose gesture -- though the hits were sprinkled throughout the night, from "Welcome to the Jungle" and "Sweet Child o' Mine" to encores of "Patience" and "Paradise City," as well as some fiery album cuts, including slashing takes on "Better" and "Rocket Queen." Axl sat at the piano for "November Rain," after noodling a bit with Elton John's "Someone Saved My Life Tonight"; there were several such ballady moments, but they served more as breathers than padding. Guns N' Roses are best when they kick hard and keep moving, and amazingly that's what they did for three long hours Tuesday night. And Wednesday morning.

Guns N' Roses Tuesday night set list:

"Chinese Democracy"

"Welcome to the Jungle"

"It's So Easy"

"Mr. Brownstone"

"Sorry"

"Riff Raff" (AC/DC)

"Estranged"

"Better"

Solo, Richard Fortus: "James Bond Theme"

"Live and Let Die" (Wings)

"This I Love"

"Rocket Queen"

"My Generation" (The Who)

Solo, Dizzy Reed: "Baba O'Riley"

"Street of Dreams"

"You Could Be Mine"

Solo, D.J. Ashba: "Mi Amor"

"Sweet Child o' Mine"

"Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 2" (Pink Floyd)

"November Rain"

Solo, Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal: "Pink Panther Theme"

"Don't Cry"

"Whole Lotta Rosie" (AC/DC)

"Knockin' on Heaven's Door" (Bob Dylan)

"Nightrain"

Encore:

"Madagascar"

"Shackler's Revenge"

"Patience"

"Paradise City"

Another good review:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/music/2011/11/guns_n_roses_want_to_rock_and_.html

Axl Rose and his hired guns -- still parading around under the name Guns N' Roses, even though the creative core of that band dissolved two decades ago -- are now more famous for their delays than their music. Not only did it take 17 years to produce the band's so-so latest album, 2008's "Chinese Democracy," Rose and his crew are notoriously late arriving on stage for concerts. Tuesday night's start time at the Allstate Arena was 9 p.m., but the Guns didn't fire until 11:10 p.m. By 2 a.m., the final confetti was just starting to fall.

"You want 8 o'clock shows, go find F-R-I-E-N-D-S or hit a cinema somewhere," read a recent Axl-ish post from Guns N' Roses on the band's Facebook page. "This is Rock N' Roll! ... This is Guns N' Roses and when the time is right the stage will ignite."

Given the unnerving professionalism and tightly regimented scheduling that now rules most pop concerts, at least give Rose credit for thumbing his nose at your day job and shaking us nearly all night long. I'd almost forgotten the anticipation, anger and at least some momentary sense of long-forgotten mystery (each a vital ingredient for rock and roll) generated by a simple late start.

The trick is, when you finally show up, to give the crowd something worth waiting for.

This reconstituted GNR, touring for the first time since the release of "Chinese Democracy," hit the stage and largely acquitted themselves as perhaps something just barely more than a wicked GNR cover band. Last month, Billy Corgan and the latest roster of Smashing Pumpkins blew through town and pounded the Riviera Theatre; likewise, Axl & Friends were happy to have a mostly full arena of fans who came for his klaxon wail and kicking shimmy rather than to grouse about absent top hats and buckets.

This GNR doesn't just cover GNR, either -- they covered everybody. Each of the three, count 'em three, guitarists enjoyed a showcase solo, with the nimble Richard Fortus torturing the James Bond theme (as an entry point for the pyro-filled "Live and Let Die," of course), newest member D.J. Ashba knitting "Mi Amor" and top-knotted Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal tiptoeing through the Pink Panther theme. After former Replacements bassist Tommy Stinson (read our interview here) sang the Who's "My Generation," pianist Dizzy Reed followed with a Yanni-worthy instrumental of "Baba O'Riley."

The band was most alive during the two, count 'em two, AC/DC covers -- first "Riff Raff," with Fortus beating the holy hell out of his guitar, and "Whole Lotta Rosie," a blast of musical pyro that Rose sang with a perfectly blissful, slightly evil grin. Most of Tuesday night, we saw a happy, boyish Rose, now 49 and paunchy, joshing with bandmates and tossing mike stands around the stage with joyful abandon. By 1 a.m., this infectious energy did more to keep the crowd awake and engaged than the occasional cannon blasts.

The set was heavy on new songs -- yet another defiant Rose gesture -- though the hits were sprinkled throughout the night, from "Welcome to the Jungle" and "Sweet Child o' Mine" to encores of "Patience" and "Paradise City," as well as some fiery album cuts, including slashing takes on "Better" and "Rocket Queen." Axl sat at the piano for "November Rain," after noodling a bit with Elton John's "Someone Saved My Life Tonight"; there were several such ballady moments, but they served more as breathers than padding. Guns N' Roses are best when they kick hard and keep moving, and amazingly that's what they did for three long hours Tuesday night. And Wednesday morning.

Guns N' Roses Tuesday night set list:

"Chinese Democracy"

"Welcome to the Jungle"

"It's So Easy"

"Mr. Brownstone"

"Sorry"

"Riff Raff" (AC/DC)

"Estranged"

"Better"

Solo, Richard Fortus: "James Bond Theme"

"Live and Let Die" (Wings)

"This I Love"

"Rocket Queen"

"My Generation" (The Who)

Solo, Dizzy Reed: "Baba O'Riley"

"Street of Dreams"

"You Could Be Mine"

Solo, D.J. Ashba: "Mi Amor"

"Sweet Child o' Mine"

"Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 2" (Pink Floyd)

"November Rain"

Solo, Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal: "Pink Panther Theme"

"Don't Cry"

"Whole Lotta Rosie" (AC/DC)

"Knockin' on Heaven's Door" (Bob Dylan)

"Nightrain"

Encore:

"Madagascar"

"Shackler's Revenge"

"Patience"

"Paradise City"

You just know when reading many of these that the reviewers, while trying really hard to not like this line up aren't really succeeding... keep going Axl!!! :thumbsup: