Chicago, Illinois - 11 - 15 - 2011 Setlist, Pictures, Video etc.

tsunta

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy birthday Chris Pitman

Paradise City

unofficial setlist:

Dexter Intro

Chinese Democracy

Welcome to the Jungle

It's so easy

Mr. Brownstone

Sorry

Riff Raff

Estranged

Better

Richard Fortus Solo

Live and let Die

This I Love

Rocket Queen

My Generation

Dizzy Reed Solo

Street of Dreams

You Could Be Mine

Dj Ashba Solo

Sweet Child O' Mine

The Wall

November Rian

Bumblefoot Solo

Don’t Cry

Whole lotta rosie

Knockin' On Heaven's Door

Nightrain

Madagascar

Shackler's Revenge

Patience

Happy birthday Chris Pitman

Paradise City

Hunting for White Castle right now.

I made it to the rail. Mission accomplished. I even sold my extra ticket while standing at the door.

All I have to say for now is the band had fun together. Entertainment from every angle. Great show. Forget setlists, vocals, or whatever, it's a really fun show.

I made it to the rail. Mission accomplished. I even sold my extra ticket while standing at the door.

All I have to say for now is the band had fun together. Entertainment from every angle. Great show. Forget setlists, vocals, or whatever, it's a really fun show.

How much did you sell the ticket for?

Great show, couple things not mentioned...

DJ and Ron chugging bottles of Jäger together on stage

DJ slid and hit an arena security woman in the head lightly with his guitar to tease her, she looked very upset

Axl told a quick story 'I was at a gas station two days ago after the show, and was talking to the lady about movies and stuff like that when she turns to her friend and says "guns n roses were in town today and I heard Axl was very well behaved and came on stage at a decent time, which is good because he is a real snot sometimes" needless to say she and I are buddies now.'

Someone threw a banner with happy birthday chris on stage and they sang happy birthday for him.

Axl told a quick story 'I was at a gas station two days ago after the show, and was talking to the lady about movies and stuff like that when she turns to her friend and says "guns n roses were in town today and I heard Axl was very well behaved and came on stage at a decent time, which is good because he is a real snot sometimes" needless to say she and I are buddies now.'

LOL.

There is no better way to win over the naysayers than by doing this the hard way - Put out on great shows, work hard to prove the quality of this band, increase positive interaction with the fans and also, (hopefully) earlier timings + new music soon.

It seems crazy to even have believed that Axl could have won taken the world by storm and won everyone over with one mega success because expectations for Chinese were just too high.

But I think that he is enjoying it this way and slowly coming into his own, while being comfortable with who he is at this stage of his life. He is just too talented to fade away and the haters can hate all they want, but he's got together a bunch of very talented, hardworking guys who gel together very well as a band - I wish them every success possible.

Edited by The Archer

The concert was end stage.

Take that as Bible truth.

ch1190a_a.gif

This is exactly how it was setup.

104/204 were partially/not used, and everything behind was not used.

109/209 were partially/not used, and everything behind not used.

My guess is there's only 10,000 seats/tickets for floor in this configuration that doesn't seat people behind the stage. Rosemont and Allstate overstate capacity, or just use the 'best case' of selling every seat not occupied by the minimum amount of equipment and not taking into account lines of sight. Basically I'm guessing you have ~2/3 of the stated capacity of 14,500 for an end stage.

And it was..uhm....capacity. Floor looked full. Seats were full. Boxes had people in them. More than 2006. More.

He's right. I was the one who spoke to the box office guy(who gave us tons of innacurrate information) including the state of ticket sales and the stage. He told me only 7000 were sold and the stage was at half court, this was not the case.

Stage was set up as planned, and show was a full house. Great turnout, surprisingly.

On another note, I take back what I said about Rosie and riff raff, both were amazing and fit well in the set. The solos also were all great and not too long.

DJ has redeemed himself in my eyes. After tonight I am going to take him somewhat seriously. Good guy, great player.

And after watching, I feel blasphemous saying this but BBF is a better guitarist and stage presence than Slash.

Yeepp seems like Gnr is coming into their own, in a way we havent seen since, well, the 90s I guess. I talk shit about DJ too but I'm glad Axl has a buddy, and he is a good player with great personality. Ron also, God bless him, gives so much to the band. You know, although Bucket is stellar, Ron is actually better in some ways. I check out a lot of his old solo stuff and he's great. I dont think any band ever could trump Gnr as far as guitarists goes - 'cept maybe the Yardbirds or something.

The Short

Great, great show. Who cares about setlists, vocal rasp, new songs, a record. It was a great show.

My second time seeing GNR, the first time I've ever been at 'the rail' for a show.

The Long

After getting someone to go with me bombed, and stuck with 2 GA tickets, I decided to go balls out and say "what the hell" and try to get to the front rail. When I'm older I can puss out and sit in nosebleeds. And since it was 2006 the last time he came, well, I didn't want to be 30 and standing for the first time.

So I stood by the door starting around 5:00 PM. There was plenty of confusion about *what* door to use and what would happen when they opened. I had a feeling that the East entrance was the one to be at, and I had a feeling I'd have to book to where the wristbands were as I couldn't see any wristband stations near the door I was at. Well, they opened our door *3rd*, and I had to run to the East entrance to get a wristband. Once that happened, onto the floor. Run! "WALK!" Run! And... boom, at the rail, stage left. I'm ecstatic. And then whoa! The two guys I was standing next to outside...the guys who LITERALLY right in front of me when we went through the turnstile. I didn't even see them run with me. They must have been right behind me.

I made sure I had enough room to last me the night and we were pretty much fine the whole night. Only mild pushing during last 4 songs. The barrier kept being pushed back, though.

So, after picking THE WRONG door, on the WRONG entrance, I still made it to the rail.

Best thing ever.

*Facial expressions.

*See body movements

*Feel the pyro

*Nobody in front of you...I felt like *I* had all the room in the world.

*License to go crazy

*You can applaud the LCD screen guy as he's setting up during changeover.

*They really do work their ass off during the hour changeover. Stage was only calm for ~10 minutes before Dexter started.

*Bass. OMG. The bass.

*Axl throws the piss out of that microphone stand.

Being so close, I can't tell you HOW the show really sounded for everyone else. We're standing right next to what I guess are the woofers. There's a wedge speaker that gave the rest of the house mix for us. From my experience, it sounded good. Axl sounded good. The guitars sounded good. The crowd was loud when it should have been. People sang along to Chinese Democracy songs.

I'm not sure what to make of different tales people have of DJ or Bumblefoot interacting with them. It's hard to tell. I think I did have a moment or two with DJ and I think Fortus responded once to my "4" hand gesture. Maybe. But you gotta keep rocking even when they're not in front of you!

There's SO many things going on in the stage show. Fortus is jumping doing windmills. DJ is hanging his body on the railing, and dropping cigarettes onto a security guard or two, Bumble is teasing the front row, Axl's doing his thing... and there's movies on in the background. It's an entertaining show. All the songs sounded great to me. Review them on YouTube, steal a soundboard, maybe not. But they sounded great in the moment. These guitarists are exciting live performers. They do compete with Axl for attention up there.

This band enjoyed themselves and they were comfortable together on stage. Axl chasing Tommy. Axl chasing Tommy with his fingers as little pretend bull horns. Bumble doing the "which one is it" switch-a-roo game with his and DJ's liquor. You didn't get that vibe in 2006 (my opinion), and 2002 was like watching a band with each person in their own bubble. Not so with this.

Why does Axl do the ACDC covers? Because he kicks their ass. The crowd likes it. And he gets off on it. He can sing the hell out of them.

Fun facts:

*The two Asian women who came with the happy birthday tarp for Mother Goose? They were immediately to my left (two gentleman left and they moved up next to me).

*Axl: "It's your birthday..... you asshole!"

*The women security/event staff that DJ messed with a little, she was visibly tired 1/2 through the show. Event staff passed along word that there were "2" (songs left?) and they rolled their eyes/looked relieved to see the light at the tunnel. There were 3 songs left, though. =)

*Getting a setlist was harder this time. I didn't manage it and neither did anyone I could see.

*The screens for video are actually all...LEDs. Maybe I'm an idiot and I should have realized this.

*Those boxes Axl and the guys stand on? They move. A lot.

*Axl has maracas on stage, just in case.

*GNR crew/staff have T-shirts that have "FYCN" on the back. ...what's that?

*Axl told a story about being in a truckstop. In addition to the 'he can be a little snot' comment, the waitress was also pissed because she had to work that night instead of seeing Guns N' Roses.

Highlight?

Oddly, Madagascar. Whole Lot Of Rosie. And Estranged.

How much did you sell the ticket for?

50 bucks. Maybe I could have gotten more?

I couldn't sell it online for that.

By the time the guy had came up I had all but given up on selling it, so maybe that's why I didn't ask for more. Haha.

Edited by Gagarin

ch1190a_a.gif

My guess is there's only 10,000 seats/tickets for floor in this configuration that doesn't seat people behind the stage. Rosemont and Allstate overstate capacity, or just use the 'best case' of selling every seat not occupied by the minimum amount of equipment and not taking into account lines of sight. Basically I'm guessing you have ~2/3 of the stated capacity of 14,500 for an end stage.

And it was..uhm....capacity. Floor looked full. Seats were full. Boxes had people in them. More than 2006. More.

as I understand you,audience in 2011 was bigger than in 2006

ch1190a_a.gif

as I understand you,audience in 2011 was bigger than in 2006

That's my belief, yes.

Gagarin I was the dude in the GNR jersey, glasses, and striped yellow shirt you stood outside with.

Oh, hey!

Yeah we both lucked out with the doors and wristbands. Cool that your group didn't get broke up.

Aren't you guys still driving or did you just make it back?

Great show, couple things not mentioned...

DJ and Ron chugging bottles of Jäger together on stage

DJ slid and hit an arena security woman in the head lightly with his guitar to tease her, she looked very upset

Someone threw a banner with happy birthday chris on stage and they sang happy birthday for him.

haha great story! Anyone have a vid with Axl telling this? Would really appreciate it!!