2002 vs 2011

The Catcher in the Rye

2011 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2002

Or do I need more >'s? GnR 2002 was TERRIBLE. They weren't a band. They were individual players trying to gain attention to themselves, trying to stand out. The musicians were awesome, but no chemistry whatsoever. Have tons of Bootlegs from that era. Axl sounded like SHIT. The band played well, but still it wasn't a band.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

Buckethead & Finck were new Guns N’ Roses (in terms of experimentation both live and studio).

Dj & Bumblefoot are more of a fresh take on old GN’R.

Edited by NewGNRnOldGNR

I didn't dislike the 2002 lineup, but this band is very tight right now. DJ really adds to the stage performance with the way he runs around and plays to the crowd. I definitely prefer this lineup. As much as I've held out hope for a reunion of the original lineup over the years, I am satisfied with what we're seeing and I would be thrilled to see this lineup record together.

I thank the 2002 lineup for the music on CD, but I thank this lineup for getting people to take GnR seriously again. I love the 02 lineup but live, they did look a bit mashed together. Talent-wise, idk because I haven't heard anything written by the new band. Theyy certainly SEEM to enjoy being on stage together, and hopefully that could translate to a quick production of an awesome album. The we can really judge

This.

The 2002 line-up, though perhaps the most musically talented line-up, didn't seem to click as a unit as the current line-up does. Watching the performances, I don't feel the chemistry between Buckethead, Robin, and Fortus as I do between Fortus, Ron and DJ. That's not to say they didn't get along or have fun or whatever, because they probably did. It was just such a dramatic departure from the image of the old Guns that it's no wonder why the general public never caught on or thought it was a joke. I really wish the current band would get on doing an album of their own to really give the Guns image the kick in the nuts it needs. Not only do they look like a unit on stage, they really seem to click (as another topic on the forum pointed it).

That 2002 Leeds performance is pretty decent though. Axl doesn't sound as good as 2006+ but it is miles ahead of the VMAs.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

2002 sucks and there is no more to it.

The right members recorded CD. The right members are currently in the band.

This is why everything works.

What does that mean? Rhetoric.

I think there’s great exaggeration regarding the “unit” nature of present Guns N’ Roses; because Buckethead and Finck weren’t hugging at every op doesn’t dispute a relationship.

It is possible to deliberately portray chemistry; when the current line-up produce a There Was A Time perhaps then they can be regarded as superior.

Edited by NewGNRnOldGNR

In all fairness, I don't think there's many alterations/different solos to old songs that Robin did that were received favorably. Buckethead is just that damn good. ;)

I never meant to imply that Finck/Buckethead had ZERO chemistry, I just prefer the overall sound of the current line-up. To each their own.

Not to discount that, but it's all up to the individual.....when I see that, I see them trying to do a 2 part solo, then in the end, looking at each others guitars and their own trying to figure out what they're doing. Chemistry to me is when you know what the other person is going to do, even before they do it. I didn't see that in this video. Sorry. :shrugs:

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

In all fairness, I don't think there's many alterations/different solos to old songs that Robin did that were received favorably.

I never meant to imply that Finck/Buckethead had ZERO chemistry, I just prefer the overall sound of the current line-up. To each their own.

I like Finck’s addition to Sweet Child; and I’m one of the few that appreciated his unorthodox approach to old GN’R tracks.

The present GN’R replicates. I don’t think near perfect replication is worth more than originality.

that solo with Bucket is amazing

Where (in terms of old tracks) have the present line-up added a solo or alteration received favourably?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3wqKOx_Is0

This, to me, is chemistry that no amount of Dj/Bumblefoot hi-5s can compensate for.

I don't recall anybody bitching about this.

Edit: I'll also take Thals Nightrain and TWAT solos every day of the week. I know TWAT isn't an old song, but fuck it. Jungle too. Hell, almost all of them.

Edited by Damn_Smooth

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

looking at each others guitars and their own trying to figure out what they're doing.

Finck & Buckethead look at their own instruments and each other?

Sometimes things are so utterly different from one another it's hard to compare, i.e. probably impossible. It's like when people compare Slash and Buckethead, 'Who's Better??'. Its difficult (again, prob. impossible) to approach such a topic without being completely subjective. 'Who's Better?' quickly devolves into a totally different, much less profound question: 'Who Do I Like More?'

But to play devil's advocate: I think Axl is overall better now than then. The band is better as a band--they seem eager to play every night. Finck looked like a poser up there; I know Bucket was frustrated a lot and he's not really a team player. Brain also got bored playing SCOM every night. This new band I think has more potential - maybe not in sum total of talent but in chemistry together creating more than the sums. They just wanna rock and they have something to prove. They believe in Axl and vice versa. Actually, I think they do have more talent in individual sum parts. Finck is overrated, period, imo. BBF and Fortus are underrated, and Ashba has a nice rock n roll style missing completely from the '02 lineup. Frank is better at rock n roll than Brain.

New album, please. Need Rock n Roll.

Where (in terms of old tracks) have the present line-up added a solo or alteration received favourably?

This, to me, is chemistry that no amount of Dj/Bumblefoot hi-5s can compensate for.

Chemistry? Bucket is an amazing player but we've heard our stories of Finck vs Bucket before. I think individually speaking, 2002 was the best GnR line-up. But considering Axl's vocals and the band chemistry, it just ain't that good.

Edit: I'll also take Thals Nightrain and TWAT solos every day of the week. I know TWAT isn't an old song, but fuck it. Jungle too. Hell, almost all of them.

rock3

looking at each others guitars and their own trying to figure out what they're doing.

Finck & Buckethead look at their own instruments and each other?

Guess I didn't word that right. How about this. The last 30 seconds of that video looks awkward. My idea of good chemistry is the Wild Horses solo with Slash and Gilby. Compare and contrast if you'd like. But I don't see the chemistry in Robin/Buckethead.

In all fairness, I don't think there's many alterations/different solos to old songs that Robin did that were received favorably.

I like Finck’s addition to Sweet Child; and I’m one of the few that appreciated his unorthodox approach to old GN’R tracks.

The present GN’R replicates. I don’t think near perfect replication is worth more than originality.

That's your thoughts/opinion though. Your original comment about Bucket's solo being received favorably was general, which is true - I've rarely seen anybody criticize that solo. It's the opposite with Robin though, where I've seen TONS of criticisms of his takes on solos. Robin has a cool style though, and I do have to say that DJ doesn't quite capture Robin's solos as well as he does Slash's because Robin had a very unique feel for bends/vibratos and just his overall approach. Very unorthodox player, as you said, but for me personally I don't want to hear unorthodox approaches to the old Guns material (although that's probably my own bias being a huge Slash fan).

I'm all for originality, but sometimes straying too far from the source can totally change the sound of the song, for better or for worse. A good example of what I like is Bumblefoot's second solo in Estranged. He plays it close to the original but adds in that little bit of shred at the end which is characteristic of himself as a player. Same with his take on Sweet Child, most of that solo he stays true to the song but adds bits of shred and some little sweeps to put his stamp on it. By doing that he keeps the solos sounding accurate enough for the casual fan to recognize (which is important to the shows) but still puts his own style into it. Fortus is the same way. He plays the November Rain solo faithfully but changes up the bends a little bit and adds that little fast passage at the end. I like stuff like that, very tastefully used in my opinion. DJ is a bit more of a direct copier, but even so, he does it differently. His Don't Cry solo, for example, he simplifies the one part right before the high bends.

I'm talking more the main solos though. I don't mind when they do extended outros/different solos to songs like Nightrain and Paradise City because those are ideal for jam space. Change is always fun in those spaces, which is perhaps another reason why Buckethead's solo is so well received. It's melodically awesome, has some cool shred, and works in that jam space. Even Slash never played the same outro to Paradise City twice back in the day.

Also: Bucket is really talented and has a soulful, distinct personality - I love Bucket - but I think BBF is a more advanced player. Bucket always picks up from a very distinct and catchy chord progression - something Slash did/does - and does not branch far from it. He's afraid of getting lost. Even in some great Nightrain solos I hear Bucket do something amazing - then its obvious he's lost. He's not really an improviser. He can play many styles but each time he switches to one, he does something I've heard him do before. Meanwhile, Ron I think is more progressive, technically skilled, and creative. Watch some of his older stuff pre-Gnr. It's not as catchy to a rock n roll fans ears as Bucket's stuff, because BBF comes from more of a jazz/prog kinda place so often he's speaking a language nobody understands.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

Bumblefoot’s the sole player in current GN’R with the innovation to positively alter (radically) aspects of tracks in the discog.

Bucket is an amazing player but we've heard our stories of Finck vs Bucket before. I think individually speaking, 2002 was the best GnR line-up.

Confirmed events of conflict or heresay?

Edited by NewGNRnOldGNR

Bumblefoot’s the sole player in current GN’R with the innovation to positively alter (radically) aspects of tracks in the discog.

True, but I consider DJ and Finck to be equals in that I would trade them both in a heartbeat to have Izzy back. I would even throw in Fortus for that trade. Izzy and Thal would be my ultimate line-up. Other than that, I wouldn't change the band today at all.