Dec 27th 2011 Phoenix, AZ @ Comerica Theatre

gunsguy

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weak update thread. Ill b seriously disappointed if they don't play one new song within the last few dates. All done paying for gigs in which I've seen every song performed. Its like axl and co. Are more concerned with pleasing the average concert goer than their big forum fans. That's really getting old in my book. Like it'd kill em to perform one new song one time. The nostalgia thing is getting old. And with these CD songs having been played for 5, and in alot of cases 10 years, thats ecxactly wat this is becoming. And ppl thought theu Uyi tour was long, this is the 3rd time they've toured this album in the states. Even though it seems to b their toughest market.

At least people seem interested these days... and the reviews have been great. If axl doesnt capitilize on that at theend end of the tour by releasing new music, then this band has become a 100% nostalgia act, and I will have completely given up on new tunes. If this isn't the most momentum gnr has had since the early 90s, may god strike me dead as I type. If gnr turns into an act in the same vein as poison, by playing only old stuff after this tour, hopefully god will strike on axl.

On a positive note, axl looks badass in that pic with bubs.

Edited by drtydane

sorry for the lack of updates, I tried to do it from my phone as often as I could, but when youre there, and youre right down in the front, it's hard....which i guess is a good thing; a testament to the bad ass-ness of this band. They are thoroughly entertaining, and kicked ass all night long. The hightlight of the night for me, and my brother as well, was when Axl came down to our side of the stage, and shook hands with us....fucking awesome...I'll never forget it. Another highlight for me was towards the end, I think it was at the end of Patience, Axl came over right in front of us, and I had taken off my "charlie don't surf" shirt and I yelled "Axl!" and held up the shirt, he looked at me and laughed, I thought that was kinda cool. Little things like that made this concert great. Obviously the music was killer...and I will say, Axl's voice sounds FUCKING INCREDIBLE live...the youtube videos truly do not do the man justice. There was very little Mickey Mouse tonight. I will be uploading my videos here shortly. The setlist was fine. They threw in Liquor n' Whores, with Bubbles. It was funny too because when the concert first started, my brother (Axls is Sweat) said "Hey look the dud from trailer park boys is behind you" and i turned around and laughed because the dude looked like a spitting image of bubbles...I doubt it was actually him, but it was hilarious when Axl introduced him, we were like "WTF? was that really him?!?" haha.

The theatre seats around 3,500 - 4000...I recall someone asking earlier. It was very intimate, and very crowded, but not completely sold out. The setlist, aside from Liquor and whores, was fairly similar to the previous concerts...the encore consisted of better, patience, paradise city, madagascar...not in that order. maybe one more...can't remember. overall, awesome show, so fuckin happy i got to see him again. this was my 2nd time seeing axl, the first being last october in manchester, UK.

I also uploaded some pics from the show to my twitter account, not sure if anyone saw those.

http://twitter.com/#!/avianosfinest

Edited by DrBrownstone

sorry for the lack of updates, I tried to do it from my phone as often as I could, but when youre there, and youre right down in the front, it's hard....which i guess is a good thing; a testament to the bad ass-ness of this band. They are thoroughly entertaining, and kicked ass all night long. The hightlight of the night for me, and my brother as well, was when Axl came down to our side of the stage, and shook hands with us....fucking awesome...I'll never forget it. Another highlight for me was towards the end, I think it was at the end of Patience, Axl came over right in front of us, and I had taken off my "charlie don't surf" shirt and I yelled "Axl!" and held up the shirt, he looked at me and laughed, I thought that was kinda cool. Little things like that made this concert great. Obviously the music was killer...and I will say, Axl's voice sounds FUCKING INCREDIBLE live...the youtube videos truly do not do the man justice. There was very little Mickey Mouse tonight. I will be uploading my videos here shortly. The setlist was fine. They threw in Liquor n' Whores, with Bubbles. It was funny too because when the concert first started, my brother (Axls is Sweat) said "Hey look the dud from trailer park boys is behind you" and i turned around and laughed because the dude looked like a spitting image of bubbles...I doubt it was actually him, but it was hilarious when Axl introduced him, we were like "WTF? was that really him?!?" haha.

The theatre seats around 3,500 - 4000...I recall someone asking earlier. It was very intimate, and very crowded, but not completely sold out. The setlist, aside from Liquor and whores, was fairly similar to the previous concerts...the encore consisted of better, patience, paradise city, madagascar...not in that order. maybe one more...can't remember. overall, awesome show, so fuckin happy i got to see him again. this was my 2nd time seeing axl, the first being last october in manchester, UK.

I also uploaded some pics from the show to my twitter account, not sure if anyone saw those.

Thanks for the review :thumbsup:

Weak update thread. Ill b seriously disappointed if they don't play one new song within the last few dates. All done paying for gigs in which I've seen every song performed. Its like axl and co. Are more concerned with pleasing the average concert goer than their big forum fans. That's really getting old in my book. Like it'd kill em to perform one new song one time. The nostalgia thing is getting old. And with these CD songs having been played for 5, and in alot of cases 10 years, thats ecxactly wat this is becoming. And ppl thought theu Uyi tour was long, this is the 3rd time they've toured this album in the states. Even though it seems to b their toughest market.

At least people seem interested these days... and the reviews have been great. If axl doesnt capitilize on that at theend end of the tour by releasing new music, then this band has become a 100% nostalgia act, and I will have completely given up on new tunes. If this isn't the most momentum gnr has had since the early 90s, may god strike me dead as I type. If gnr turns into an act in the same vein as poison, by playing only old stuff after this tour, hopefully god will strike on axl.

On a positive note, axl looks badass in that pic with bubs.

Do you know what a sense of entitlement is?

haha no problem. not much of a review really, but hey, i do what i can. By the way, I just remembered there was a part during nightrain that axl kinda stopped singing (the band kept playing) to alert security of something happening, which i think resulted in axl demanding that the guy get tossed out...it was hard to see because it was on the complete other side of the stage from us, but people cheered, and I saw security hovering in an area...I mean, I guess they could have been carrying out a passed out chick and the people were cheering because she got helped or something, but I'm leaning towards dumb fan causing trouble got kicked out...seems like the more likely scenario with Axl's history.

I'm uploading the intro right now, from the Dexter theme to a few minutes intro Chinese Democracy. It has about 15 minutes left...I'll post link when it's done.

AhtyUKzCEAA3FZp.jpg

there we go... guess you do copy image address instead of copying the actual link.

tryin to decide which shirt to wear tonight....

Aht0PzpCEAIZhsf.jpg

You piss yourself?

lol, no, didn't piss my pants, although that pic makes me almost defenseless against that accusation. It's the lighting/shadow haha

haha no problem. not much of a review really, but hey, i do what i can. By the way, I just remembered there was a part during nightrain that axl kinda stopped singing (the band kept playing) to alert security of something happening, which i think resulted in axl demanding that the guy get tossed out...it was hard to see because it was on the complete other side of the stage from us, but people cheered, and I saw security hovering in an area...I mean, I guess they could have been carrying out a passed out chick and the people were cheering because she got helped or something, but I'm leaning towards dumb fan causing trouble got kicked out...seems like the more likely scenario with Axl's history.

I'm uploading the intro right now, from the Dexter theme to a few minutes intro Chinese Democracy. It has about 15 minutes left...I'll post link when it's done.

AhtyUKzCEAA3FZp.jpg

there we go... guess you do copy image address instead of copying the actual link.

tryin to decide which shirt to wear tonight....

Aht0PzpCEAIZhsf.jpg

You piss yourself?

lol, no, didn't piss my pants, although that pic makes me almost defenseless against that accusation. It's the lighting/shadow haha

Don't worry, I'd probably piss myself too if I had a ticket to go see GN'R in a few hours.

This Is very concerning. Phoenix Is not a small market, we are talkin the 3rd to 5th largest city In the United States. Hopefully anyone that was Interested In seeing the band had the opportunity and did so on this leg of the tour, because I have a feeling It's going to be awhile, quite awhile, before you will have the opprotunity again and I wouldn't blame the band one fuckin bit. There Is no way to mask the fact that the U.S. tour numbers were disappointing,to say the least. They need to focus there attention on playing area's that are Interested In having them and where people actually show up, and as far as I can tell that would be almost anywhere else other than the U.S.

Edited by ironmt

Nice to see Axl ditching the hat and glasses, anyone know why he always wears long sleeved shirts though?

Hopefully after this tour ends and a short break we can hear some new music. It has kind of sucked having no motivation to catch them this tour, some new music would fix that. VH and a new GnR release/tour in '12 would be a nice thing.

This Is very concerning. Phoenix Is not a small market, we are talkin the 3rd to 5th largest city In the United States. Hopefully anyone that was Interested In seeing the band had the opportunity and did so on this leg of the tour, because I have a feeling It's going to be awhile, quite awhile, before you will have the opprotunity again and I wouldn't blame the band one fuckin bit. There Is no way to mask the fact that the U.S. tour numbers were disappointing,to say the least. They need to focus there attention on playing area's that are Interested In having them and where people actually show up, and as far as I can tell that would be almost anywhere else other than the U.S.

What concerns me the most about the attendance is that this went on through the complete North-American tour. I don't think that's very positive for any future plans. I've expected a bigger attendance for this leg of the tour.

What concerns me the most about the attendance is that this went on through the complete North-American tour. I don't think that's very positive for any future plans. I've expected a bigger attendance for this leg of the tour.

I agree. What Incentive Is there to release a new album when In all likely hood It will do terrible numbers, just as this tour has done. Very very disappointing.

Regarding last night's stage set-up: They weren't using their stage because it's an amphitheater. Amphitheater stages are usually considerably lower than a stage would be set in an arena, some of them are as low as 3 feet. This is also why there were no extensions.

Regarding sales, I don't think there's a real concern with how it'll affect future plans. A vast majority of bands don't sell that well anymore in the US. Even AC/DC; last tour one show I saw was half full, and one was maybe 60% full. Maiden, who are considered to be in the middle of a massive resurgence in popularity in the US only sold out one US show last year; Madison Square Garden. I'm not expecting the upcoming Van Halen tour to sell nearly as well as in 07/08 either. The fact is, between the insane ticket prices and weak economy, fewer people are going to shows, and I'm sure the band recognizes this factor. No one seems to have anything negative to say about how the tour has been going, and even Axl seemed extremely optimistic about next year.

Regarding last night's stage set-up: They weren't using their stage because it's an amphitheater. Amphitheater stages are usually considerably lower than a stage would be set in an arena, some of them are as low as 3 feet. This is also why there were no extensions.

Regarding sales, I don't think there's a real concern with how it'll affect future plans. A vast majority of bands don't sell that well anymore in the US. Even AC/DC; last tour one show I saw was half full, and one was maybe 60% full. Maiden, who are considered to be in the middle of a massive resurgence in popularity in the US only sold out one US show last year; Madison Square Garden. I'm not expecting the upcoming Van Halen tour to sell nearly as well as in 07/08 either. The fact is, between the insane ticket prices and weak economy, fewer people are going to shows, and I'm sure the band recognizes this factor. No one seems to have anything negative to say about how the tour has been going, and even Axl seemed extremely optimistic about next year.

Indeed.

Sales are all over the board for most bands in North America right now. You're right about AC/DC. I saw them twice at the Rogers Centre in Toronto, both shows sold out unbelievably fast and that's some 50 000 tickets or so. Then I saw them in Buffalo at the HSBC Arena later in the tour and it wasn't even sold out - and that's a small arena. It was quite odd to see such a change even though it was the same tour. The market for concerts in general just isn't there right now, and often the ticket prices don't justify the show. Using the AC/DC example again, Guns N' Roses tickets were about $15 cheaper and the show was over an hour longer. Technically Guns had the better value for the money, but people going into any rock show don't know that for sure. For many, $100 isn't worth a two-hour show that has other expenses too (travel, food, etc...) so I don't think we have to worry too much about Guns. It's the same for most bands right now. The biggest of markets usually just manage a sell out and other than that, it's hit and miss.