Has you opinion on DJ Ashba changed since '09?

Cosmo

Be sure to check out DJ Ashbas site where there are dozens of pages where you can buy dolls, bandanas, and panties, but none that actually have music posted to show whether or not he can play guitar!!!! fail. :thumbsdown:

you can buy his albums and even Chinese Democracy on his website :shrugs:

All I know about Ashba is that you can buy panties on his site, he has an Iphone app, he's a nice guy, and he can do a standard rock version of the national anthem, something I was doing when I was 16.

Yet the mighty Axl Rose decided to pick DJ over you. Weird.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be sure to check out DJ Ashbas site where there are dozens of pages where you can buy dolls, bandanas, and panties, but none that actually have music posted to show whether or not he can play guitar!!!! fail. :thumbsdown:

you can buy his albums and even Chinese Democracy on his website :shrugs:

All I know about Ashba is that you can buy panties on his site, he has an Iphone app, he's a nice guy, and he can do a standard rock version of the national anthem, something I was doing when I was 16.

Yet the mighty Axl Rose decided to pick DJ over you. Weird.

You apparently missed the point of my post. the national anthem is something that 99% of new guitarists learn. Its hardly a sign of incredible skill. If you don't understand the points people are making then please don't write smartass responses to them. thanks.

Write posts that have some substance to them and proper wouldn't respond with smartass comments.

You don't like DJ, because of very substantial reasons. You don't trust Axl's musician choosing skills.

I am emailing DJ's webmaster as we speak. Ditch all Ashba related material you are selling, guitar players are not allowed to make money outside of actual concerts and album sales. Your talent and skill level as a musician is related to the merchandise content of your webpage, Facebook and MySpace. Your professional music ability equates to only having solos posted on your Facebook page. And make sure u only post solos that 16 year old scooter from Idaho. annotations play.

Edit that and let me know what you think.

You should also email or call Axl and let him know that he isn't picking the right people for the band.

Write posts that have some substance to them and proper wouldn't respond with smartass comments.

You don't like DJ, because of very substantial reasons. You don't trust Axl's musician choosing skills.

I am emailing DJ's webmaster as we speak. Ditch all Ashba related material you are selling, guitar players are not allowed to make money outside of actual concerts and album sales. Your talent and skill level as a musician is related to the merchandise content of your webpage, Facebook and MySpace. Your professional music ability equates to only having solos posted on your Facebook page. And make sure u only post solos that 16 year old scooter from Idaho. annotations play.

You should also email or call Axl and let him know that he isn't picking the right people for the band.

#1: I write very detailed and substantial posts.

#2: In regards to DJ. I never said I hated him, or disliked him. He's been with GNR for too little of a time to know whether he has the songwriting chops or technical skills to be a valuable member of GNR when it comes to NEW material. So YES, I'm skeptical. I've made it clear on several posts on here that outside of COVERING Slash and Finck solos there is really no proof he is all that great. His solo numbers on this tour are pleasing to the ear but only adequate - same as his Slash/Finck parts.

I've asked for proof from members on this forum that shows he is a great guitar player. No one here has presented me with anything, so I went to his website to investigate further. I found nothing but "Ashba Swag", dolls, and apps, and a few YouTube videos where he's playing..

1) National Anthem (We've already discussed why this is far from a show of talent), and...

2) Sixx:Am songs (those songs are simple numetal/classic rock hybrid riffs that i've seen come out of many local bar bands you wouldn't pay $3 to see.

I love GNR and think they are above all bands in most every genre. Axl has an eye for talent, that's for sure, and I guess you're telling me I should trust him and just wait and see what happens, but SORRY I am a hardcore fan that has investigated all members/collaborators that have been added since 1998. ALL of them have back catalogs of work that show their talent that make me curious and excited about how they will add to Axl's vision. DJ is the one member that has been added that has not impressed me.

Yes, DJ does an adequate job of covering parts, but if I wanted to listen to just adequate rock I wouldn't listen to GNR.

I've met DJ. I saw him with Beautiful Creatures. He's a fine showman but at the end of the day I want great rock music from Axl and co. and don't care about tattoos, cigarettes in mouths, and hands behind ears to get drunk crowds riled up.

EDIT: I hope the new music he creates with the band is amazing and kicks ass, but we won't hear it for another 5-6 years so I think we all have more than enough time to speculate and discuss all possible outcomes.

Edited by Danker

DJ is a very nice guy I've met him five times and every time he has been friendly cool and courteous. DJ is good to the fans similar to Bumblefoot always chatting away taking photos with them etc. Just wanted to say what I like about DJ. If he can make kickass GNR song's I'll like him even more.

Edited by ThinkAboutYou

#2: In regards to DJ. I never said I hated him, or disliked him. He's been with GNR for too little of a time to know whether he has the songwriting chops or technical skills to be a valuable member of GNR when it comes to NEW material. So YES, I'm skeptical. I've made it clear on several posts on here that outside of COVERING Slash and Finck solos there is really no proof he is all that great. His solo numbers on this tour are pleasing to the ear but only adequate - same as his Slash/Finck parts.

I've asked for proof from members on this forum that shows he is a great guitar player. No one here has presented me with anything, so I went to his website to investigate further. I found nothing but "Ashba Swag", dolls, and apps, and a few YouTube videos where he's playing..

1) National Anthem (We've already discussed why this is far from a show of talent), and...

2) Sixx:Am songs (those songs are simple numetal/classic rock hybrid riffs that i've seen come out of many local bar bands you wouldn't pay $3 to see.

I love GNR and think they are above all bands in most every genre. Axl has an eye for talent, that's for sure, and I guess you're telling me I should trust him and just wait and see what happens, but SORRY I am a hardcore fan that has investigated all members/collaborators that have been added since 1998. ALL of them have back catalogs of work that show their talent that make me curious and excited about how they will add to Axl's vision. DJ is the one member that has been added that has not impressed me.

Yes, DJ does an adequate job of covering parts, but if I wanted to listen to just adequate rock I wouldn't listen to GNR.

I've met DJ. I saw him with Beautiful Creatures. He's a fine showman but at the end of the day I want great rock music from Axl and co. and don't care about tattoos, cigarettes in mouths, and hands behind ears to get drunk crowds riled up.

Agree 10000% on everything you said. Im sure DJ is a nice guy, but he is too fake for me, tries too hard to be a "rocker", and its all just too easy to see through. The Hulk Hogan hand behind the ear is a gimmick that Axl doesn't need. The hat, the cigs, the tatts....thats fine, free country, but....it just doesn't work. Add the fact that he is OK on the guitar, definitely nothing to watch for more than 20 seconds.

I went to shows in 2002 and 2006 in the NY and CT area. I could not bring myself to go see this version of GNR. Im sure the shows were great and all, but they are great b/c of Axl.

I just can't believe people actually react when he puts his hand behind his ears, LOL, so embarrassing for him. AND, WTF is he doing to the intro to JUNGLE???? Just play the "B" notes with delay until Axl screams. PLEASE STOP THAT DISGUSTING BEND YOU DO ABOUT THE 3RD TIME IN, IT SOUNDS HORRIBLE!!!

I never thought Id miss Robin. I cannot believe Im typing that statement, but Assba makes me long for Robin's mistakes and flubs.

Agree 10000% on everything you said. Im sure DJ is a nice guy, but he is too fake for me, tries too hard to be a "rocker", and its all just too easy to see through. The Hulk Hogan hand behind the ear is a gimmick that Axl doesn't need. The hat, the cigs, the tatts....thats fine, free country, but....it just doesn't work. Add the fact that he is OK on the guitar, definitely nothing to watch for more than 20 seconds.

I went to shows in 2002 and 2006 in the NY and CT area. I could not bring myself to go see this version of GNR. Im sure the shows were great and all, but they are great b/c of Axl.

I just can't believe people actually react when he puts his hand behind his ears, LOL, so embarrassing for him. AND, WTF is he doing to the intro to JUNGLE???? Just play the "B" notes with delay until Axl screams. PLEASE STOP THAT DISGUSTING BEND YOU DO ABOUT THE 3RD TIME IN, IT SOUNDS HORRIBLE!!!

I never thought Id miss Robin. I cannot believe Im typing that statement, but Assba makes me long for Robin's mistakes and flubs.

im on board with you!!!!!!!!!!!! That bend is ATROCIOUS!!!!!!!!! its just so so bad. If that's him putting his own spin on things then NO THANK YOU!!! DJ -- just play it exactly how the album goes or how Finck played it before you.

...as time goes on the more i miss Finck. I think I miss Buckethead more than Finck at this point which is something i thought i'd never say since I am such a Bucket fan. But Bumble does a fine job doing the more technical Bucket parts and he had decent chemisty with Finck in 2006 so I'm okay with him. Its starting to seem that Finck is harder to replace than anyone else.

Edited by Danker

EDIT: I hope the new music he creates with the band is amazing and kicks ass, but we won't hear it for another 5-6 years so I think we all have more than enough time to speculate and discuss all possible outcomes.

why in the world would you spend so much time and energy investigating players in a band? And demanding proof from forum members?

Music is created to be listened to. Not to investigate and research and creep their Facebook and MySpace pages.

Sixx AM is equivalent to a $3 bar band? Your obsession with DJs solos and his poses on stage? And you don't think there will be new music for five more years? Yes. Sustance is the first word I think of when I see your screen name.

W23 you are actually complaining about a live show that you didn't actually attend?

Don't be embarrassed for DJ about his antics in stage. The people who actually attend the shows are having a blast and enjoying it.

With fans like you guys, who needs haters. I'm guessing you both are struggling guitar players who blame everybody in the industry for your lack of success. And as you bust out your solos in your basement you think that it should be you on stage and not the no talent Ashba. Jealousy is a terrible thing.

why in the world would you spend so much time and energy investigating players in a band? And demanding proof from forum members?

Music is created to be listened to. Not to investigate and research and creep their Facebook and MySpace pages.

Sixx AM is equivalent to a $3 bar band? Your obsession with DJs solos and his poses on stage? And you don't think there will be new music for five more years? Yes. Sustance is the first word I think of when I see your screen name.

Yes, I do investigate new members and their projects. Why wouldn't I? I've discovered some great music through investigating the musical projects of GNR members as I think 99% of people who post on this forum probably have. Its called being a fan = you keep up with what the band is doing, and listen to the music they create. derrrrr :crazy:

What's wrong with asking members for examples of DJs guitar playing? If people say someone is amazing then I would like to hear it for myself!!! ---- Someone told me once about this band Guns N Roses that I should check out because they were apparently really amazing. So I asked to borrow a CD and I was hooked. That's how you discover new music!!!!! haha you have the logic of a 10 year old, and if you are 10 then go finish your homework!!!

Musicians post on their facebook pages to keep the fans up-to-date on whats going on with them. I'm a fan, I checked their page, I'm updated. Its a common practice that seems to work for everyone but you.

in closing: I'd wouldn't go to a FREE Sixx:Am show with an open bar/

Edited by Danker

W23 you are actually complaining about a live show that you didn't actually attend?

Don't be embarrassed for DJ about his antics in stage. The people who actually attend the shows are having a blast and enjoying it.

With fans like you guys, who needs haters. I'm guessing you both are struggling guitar players who blame everybody in the industry for your lack of success. And as you bust out your solos in your basement you think that it should be you on stage and not the no talent Ashba. Jealousy is a terrible thing.

Not at all. DJ is just a poser and its plain and obvious for people to see. People are there to see Axl, we all know this. Its nice that you are trying to defend him, why I dont know, but I just read some posts here and posted my opinion, which I think a lot of people agree with.

I wish DJ the best, but his stage antics are really embarrassing and he looks like a poser. Simple.

Not at all. DJ is just a poser and its plain and obvious for people to see. People are there to see Axl, we all know this. Its nice that you are trying to defend him, why I dont know, but I just read some posts here and posted my opinion, which I think a lot of people agree with.

I wish DJ the best, but his stage antics are really embarrassing and he looks like a poser. Simple.

exactly!! i wouldnt mind his poser antics if he had the skill to back it up.

In the same way that a dude with a KFC bucket on his head better have the skill to back up such a wacky look!!! ...oh yeah, he does.

PS: I had a fucking amazing time at the show and spent half of my paycheck on the ridiculously priced shirts without looking back. I loved GNR because they were NOT a hokey gimmicky cliche act...they were the real deal...DJ is making it a little less like that type of entity. But DJ or no DJ, this band is powerful as all hell and I hope DJ busts out some crazy shit to change my neutral opinion of him.

Edited by Danker

from the running man, to the jumping up on the rails to the hulk hand behind the ear to the drumming in madagascar, he definitely goes through his bag of tricks on stage

The "little drummer boy" shit he does on Madagascar is sooo fucking annoying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crmd-Hu9jnw&feature=player_embedded

2:05 to 2:11 is cringeworthy. DJ raping one of Bucketheads amazing yet subtle Madagascar riffs because he's too concerned with looking cool with a cigarette in his mouth. just sad. I mean that sounds bad. No one can defend that.

Edited by Danker

2:05 to 2:11 is cringeworthy. DJ raping one of Bucketheads amazing yet subtle Madagascar riffs because he's too concerned with looking cool with a cigarette in his mouth. just sad. I mean that sounds bad. No one can defend that.

omg that was incredibly bad

omg that was incredibly bad

okay so maybe i take back what i said about Ashba doing an "adequate" job of covering the parts. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: