Has you opinion on DJ Ashba changed since '09?

Cosmo

This topic is getting silly. I remember watching the first videos that made it onto youtube at the start of the 09 asian tour... everyone agreed that Ashba brought back the "blues" sound that had been missing so long from new GNR. He is one of the best things that happened to the band since the beginning of the new Guns N' Roses, he's a very solid and very charismatic guitarist that shares true alchemy on stage with Axl. NO other guitarist in the new GNR history tied with the audience and Axl the way Ashba does.

Sure he isn't the best guitarist ever, so what? He's pretty square on 90% of the GNR catalog, just because he can't play Bucket or Finck's parts 100% the way they were written doesn't mean shit. He is the best at covering Slash AND adds his own style.

GNR wouldn't be currently touring if it wasn't for DJ Ashba, his sense of business, sex appeal and solid guitarist skills really brought some fresh air to Guns n' Roses, no one can deny that. I love Bumblefoot's sound but it's inappropriate for the main riff of Sweet child for example. Fortus while amazing on his bond solo and other stuff, can't quite play the way Ashba plays. If you can't hear it, then it's too bad, but let's be honest, instrumentally, the songs never sounded so good live. And that's because of three names: DJ, Richard and Ron. End of.

DJ's cool.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This topic is getting silly. I remember watching the first videos that made it onto youtube at the start of the 09 asian tour... everyone agreed that Ashba brought back the "blues" sound that had been missing so long from new GNR. He is one of the best things that happened to the band since the beginning of the new Guns N' Roses, he's a very solid and very charismatic guitarist that shares true alchemy on stage with Axl. NO other guitarist in the new GNR history tied with the audience and Axl the way Ashba does.

Sure he isn't the best guitarist ever, so what? He's pretty square on 90% of the GNR catalog, just because he can't play Bucket or Finck's parts 100% the way they were written doesn't mean shit. He is the best at covering Slash AND adds his own style.

GNR wouldn't be currently touring if it wasn't for DJ Ashba, his sense of business, sex appeal and solid guitarist skills really brought some fresh air to Guns n' Roses, no one can deny that. I love Bumblefoot's sound but it's inappropriate for the main riff of Sweet child for example. Fortus while amazing on his bond solo and other stuff, can't quite play the way Ashba plays. If you can't hear it, then it's too bad, but let's be honest, instrumentally, the songs never sounded so good live. And that's because of three names: DJ, Richard and Ron. End of.

DJ's cool.

RED = I AGREE WITH YOU

BLUE = I DISAGREE WITH YOU :-)

#1: Clearly Finck and Buckethead are the best things to happen to new GNR, since THEY WROTE ALL THE NEW MATERIAL!!!!

#2: I will agree Axl does have an onstage chemisty with DJ and you can tell during interviews they are chummy and that's good for Axl, because whens the last time you remember Axl having a legitimate friend.

#3: He is NOT the best at covering Slash and he in no way adds his own style. Bumble and Fortus can play circles around Ashba whille adding their own flare. No one quite added their unique flare the way the Finck did but Bumble and Fortus do make it much more personalized than Ashba (i.e. Fortus on November Rain, Rocket Queen & Bumble on most of the faster AFD songs). The only time when DJ adds his own thing is when he bends the intro note to Jungle which SOUNDS AWFUL!!!

Watching Ashba you can tell he's trying to nail Slash's parts verbatim, but his skill level isn't really there. So when DJ fumbles and doesn't get it exactly right, he CAN'T improvise through it so it just sounds like a horrible flub!! Its like he's lost his spot in the song.

#4: GNR is touring, doing press, and hosting live show streams simply because Beta is managing Axl and the band. That is obvious. It has nothing to do with DJ at all.

#5: You're saying Bumble couldn't pull off the tone and sound of SCOM accurately???!!! All he needs is a Les Paul and a Marshall stack. End of discussion.

Edited by Danker

My bad, I wanted to say that Ashba is the best thing that happened to new GNR history LIVE. Obviously, Bucket and Finck are all over CD and I love CD, one of my favourite albums of all time.

As for Bumble, I'm yet to see him play with the blues feeling the way Slash or Ashba do. Not saying he can't do it technically with a gibson les paul, but I never heard it from him and apparently it's not his thing.

I hate what he does to the This I Love solo. That is all.

Of all the things I disliked about DJ to start with, that's the only one I still hold on to. When we met him in Youngstown, my fiancee actually flat out asked him about it and he was very cool in explaining why he does what he does. You can read the whole thing at GNRevolution, if you're interested in this thread:

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=11319&p=2

DJ has 100% of my support. He's a damn good guitarist, puts on a fantastic show, and is a really good guy. My only minor concern is going forward whether he will be able to focus enough on GNR while still being an active member of Sixx:AM and running Ashba media, especially if GNR does hit the studio next year. Hopefully he won't spread himself too thin.

The "little drummer boy" shit he does on Madagascar is sooo fucking annoying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crmd-Hu9jnw&feature=player_embedded

2:05 to 2:11 is cringeworthy. DJ raping one of Bucketheads amazing yet subtle Madagascar riffs because he's too concerned with looking cool with a cigarette in his mouth. just sad. I mean that sounds bad. No one can defend that.

omg that was incredibly bad

The original band used to fuck up. But back then it was cool and raw when they did so. Now it's horrendous.

Of all the things I disliked about DJ to start with, that's the only one I still hold on to. When we met him in Youngstown, my fiancee actually flat out asked him about it and he was very cool in explaining why he does what he does. You can read the whole thing at GNRevolution, if you're interested in this thread:

I think if DJ pulls out some awesome guitar work on any upcoming guns n roses song's then he will win more fans over.

Edited by ThinkAboutYou

... wearing the top hat.

A small poll... how many of you think slash originated this look?

LOL. It's OBVIOUSLY Mick Mars.

LOL. not even close...

Yeahh, probably not, I mean... DJ's NOT involved with Motley Crue in any way. He's not in a band with Nikki Sixx, he's never said Motley's one of his biggest influences. Slash was. And THIS hat isn't much closer to THIS ONE than THIS.. For God's sake... Even the hair and bandana are alike.

Edited by It Don't Really Matter

DJ's cool.

RED = I AGREE WITH YOU

#1: Clearly Finck and Buckethead are the best things to happen to new GNR, since THEY WROTE ALL THE NEW MATERIAL!!!!

#2: I will agree Axl does have an onstage chemisty with DJ and you can tell during interviews they are chummy and that's good for Axl, because whens the last time you remember Axl having a legitimate friend.

#3: He is NOT the best at covering Slash and he in no way adds his own style. Bumble and Fortus can play circles around Ashba whille adding their own flare. No one quite added their unique flare the way the Finck did but Bumble and Fortus do make it much more personalized than Ashba (i.e. Fortus on November Rain, Rocket Queen & Bumble on most of the faster AFD songs). The only time when DJ adds his own thing is when he bends the intro note to Jungle which SOUNDS AWFUL!!!

Watching Ashba you can tell he's trying to nail Slash's parts verbatim, but his skill level isn't really there. So when DJ fumbles and doesn't get it exactly right, he CAN'T improvise through it so it just sounds like a horrible flub!! Its like he's lost his spot in the song.

#4: GNR is touring, doing press, and hosting live show streams simply because Beta is managing Axl and the band. That is obvious. It has nothing to do with DJ at all.

#5: You're saying Bumble couldn't pull off the tone and sound of SCOM accurately???!!! All he needs is a Les Paul and a Marshall stack. End of discussion.

I thought Beta was only manager for the last two weeks.

DJ's cool.

RED = I AGREE WITH YOU

I thought Beta was only manager for the last two weeks.

"Official" manager anyways. I have a feeling when we finally get an in depth interview with Beta, we'll find out she's been behind some of the most important business deicisions GNR has made. She is to the business die of GNR like Izzy was to the songwriting... the unsung hero. But it's finally time she gets her dues.

Haters just wish they could be Ashba. Simple.

At the LA show, everyone around me was talking about how awesome he was.

I like how people seem to feel different at live shows than online

Exactly. And it is just a few of the same posters who are still obsessed with Slash.

One guy who keeps posting about hating DJ actually hangs out on all his websites. I'm a fan and don't even do that. Weird.

These guys are just mad that the tour is going so well, and they are jealous that their music careers are still confined to their parents basements. Slash doesn't have a problem with him - buy Sparky from Idaho does. Funny.

Yes, DJ sucks. That's why his career has been so successful and why Axl chose him to be in GnR. Jealousy and bitterness over a guitar player......sad.

Fact #1: DJ's got charisma (although less than Slash). No other current Gn'R guitar player comes close to that.

Fact #2: DJ's got stage chemistry with Axl (although less than Slash). No other current Gn'R guitar player comes close to that.

Fact #3: DJ's got some bluesy style to his guitar playing (although less than Slash). No other current Gn'R guitar player comes close to that.

Fact #4: DJ's the best Slash look alike guitar player and most people likes that. No other current Gn'R guitar player comes close to that. :D

I think he's the right guy for the job, as he seems to be a good co-worker and knows how to sell his stuff.

But I still dislike his sound, his uninspired songs and his lazy approach to Robin's solos and some Slash's licks. That was a step back in terms of criativity and originality from GNR in my honest opinion.

Haha, love the way your girl asked him about the song.

I think he's the right guy for the job, as he seems to be a good co-worker and knows how to sell his stuff.

But I still dislike his sound, his uninspired songs and his lazy approach to Robin's solos and some Slash's licks. That was a step back in terms of criativity and originality from GNR in my honest opinion.

Haha, love the way your girl asked him about the song.

Funnier was the way Ashba answered.