Has you opinion on DJ Ashba changed since '09?

Cosmo

I think DJ was added for his stage presence....the Hogan hand behind ear thing, his dance moves, getting kids on stage...he's there more for his showman act than his guitar playing. And fans who don't follow the band say "hey that guy looks like Slash! Cool!"

Gimmicks are not really needed in rock n roll

+1

He's a fake and his shtick is getting old.

As for future material with Axl - no thanks. He should keep his generic riffs and hot topic looks in SixxAM where they belong.

haters-gon-hate-the-boss.jpg

This is what you have to add?

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "little drummer boy" shit he does on Madagascar is sooo fucking annoying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crmd-Hu9jnw&feature=player_embedded

2:05 to 2:11 is cringeworthy. DJ raping one of Bucketheads amazing yet subtle Madagascar riffs because he's too concerned with looking cool with a cigarette in his mouth. just sad. I mean that sounds bad. No one can defend that.

I said it before and I'll say it again: "DJ" misses notes when smoking, the smoke gets into his eyes and he loses control. Solution? Don't fuckin' smoke if you can handle it. He BUTCHERED that solo, that's not sad, it's fuckin' embarrassing. He's trying too hard to look like a badass. :shrugs:

2:05 to 2:11 is cringeworthy. DJ raping one of Bucketheads amazing yet subtle Madagascar riffs because he's too concerned with looking cool with a cigarette in his mouth. just sad. I mean that sounds bad. No one can defend that.

I said it before and I'll say it again: "DJ" misses notes when smoking, the smoke gets into his eyes and he loses control. Solution? Don't fuckin' smoke if you can handle it. He BUTCHERED that solo, that's not sad, it's fuckin' embarrassing. He's trying too hard to look like a badass. :shrugs:

No, he also misses notes when he isnt smoking.

play every fucking night, and we'll see if you can play every songs, every night without one single mistake...

He makes mistakes, just like Finck, Slash, Gilby or any former GnR member...

:sleeper: It's too stupid to make mistakes when you can clearly prevent yourself from doing so. It's like, if I'm sloppy playing guitar, I would never have a drink or even smoke on stage, because that'd make even MORE sloppy (and look stupid as fuck).

Maybe he thinks that a 'good performance' is running and jumping on stage, raising hands and interacting with the crowd. :shrugs:

When I first read a dude named DJ Ashba joined the band my first thought was "wtf did Axl recruit a DJ?"

haha I was like "Why the fuck would they get a DJ to be the new axeman?"

I just thought he added a dude on turntables like some nuMetal bands do now. Maybe add Les Claypool, bring back Buckethead to make it an even four guitarists, another drummer and call it a day.

That Finck solo is amazing. Such a shame that he left. That Ashba video is just embarrassing. Very sloppy playing also.

Better is painful to hear on a soundboard recording. The LA version sucks because Ashba can't even play the fucking intro riff correctly. He does several mistakes playing that riff throughout the song and I fk'n hate, HATE it.

I think he's the right guy for the job, as he seems to be a good co-worker and knows how to sell his stuff.

But I still dislike his sound, his uninspired songs and his lazy approach to Robin's solos and some Slash's licks. That was a step back in terms of criativity and originality from GNR in my honest opinion.

I hate what he does to the This I Love solo. That is all.

Of all the things I disliked about DJ to start with, that's the only one I still hold on to. When we met him in Youngstown, my fiancee actually flat out asked him about it and he was very cool in explaining why he does what he does. You can read the whole thing at GNRevolution, if you're interested in this thread:

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=11319&p=2

Haha, love the way your girl asked him about the song.

Funnier was the way Ashba answered.

Indeed. He should have mentioned that he can't play it so he changed it. The '09 versions showed us that...

Made me cry. Where's the thread saying that Ron should take all the leads? Ashba could be the camera man and Ron the guitar player. I wouldn't mind AT ALL.

My opinion is that this solo is far superior to Mi Amor or Ballad of Death.

And, unlike Bruno Poeys said in this thread, Better isn't the only song written by Robin: he wrote several others and made arrangements for almost every song in Chinese. Just take a look at the alternate (and correct) booklet or the Guitar Tab Book.

I'm also on the boat of those who think his guitar playing abilities are limited (as in technical and feeling-wise)...here's better from the LA show...

4:09 - 4:50 is just painful to hear/watch. I mean, to me, this is probably the best guitar part in all of CD, that little part right there...and *Ashba* doesn't do it justice... not a happy camper on that particular song :anger:

Edited by gunsguy
Please refer to members by their name, changed the word to Ashba

I'm also on the boat of those who think his guitar playing abilities are limited (as in technical and feeling-wise)...here's better from the LA show...

4:09 - 4:50 is just painful to hear/watch. I mean, to me, this is probably the best guitar part in all of CD, that little part right there...and *Ashba doesn't do it justice... not a happy camper on that particular song :anger:

Previous nick name?

Or are you from GnFR Forum Tactical Squad?

Edited by gunsguy
Please refer to members by their name, changed the word to Ashba in quote

4:09 - 4:50 is just painful to hear/watch. I mean, to me, this is probably the best guitar part in all of CD, that little part right there...and *Ashba doesn't do it justice... not a happy camper on that particular song :anger:

that is beyond embarrasing and finck would be disgusted if he saw that

Edited by gunsguy
Please refer to members by their name, changed the word to Ashba in quote

I like Ashba, doesn't worry me too much that he stuffs up a little bit sometimes. I like the classic rock sound he brings and the showmanship he brings to a show. Probably the worst thing he does is that extended WTTJ riff and trying too much to be cool (smoking isn't cool these days kids).

4:09 - 4:50 is just painful to hear/watch. I mean, to me, this is probably the best guitar part in all of CD, that little part right there...and cAshBack doesn't do it justice... not a happy camper on that particular song :anger:

Finck was terrible. Band is better off without him.

4:09 - 4:50 is just painful to hear/watch. I mean, to me, this is probably the best guitar part in all of CD, that little part right there...and cAshBack doesn't do it justice... not a happy camper on that particular song :anger:

Wow, that is fu****g atrocious. What an embarrassment this guy is.