Has you opinion on DJ Ashba changed since '09?

Cosmo

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2009 I put my trust in the knowledge of people on this forum and HTGTH and was led to believe that GNR were completely against "classic rock" and were going to blow people away with Chinese Democracy and its futuristic cosmic sounds.

Then they hired Nikki Sixx guitarist who dresses like a 16 year old and looks like his face has started to melt.

Thats cool. Everyone likes a different style.

For the record, I like everything about his playing other than that. But, to me, its just as bad as bending out of tune and just sounds so sour to me. I know this is really really going out there, but to me, its one my bigger griefs with the band. I can't watch NR with the new band because of it.

Yea, i remember when i was recording with an old band I had a small little bass solo in a song with slight distortion, and half the band dug a bend I did, and the other half said exactly what you just said about sounding sour.

Edited by ohmygod

I don't have anything against him, but I think I liked Robin a bit more. His co-writing credit for Better alone earns that from me. And I kind of agree with what Spunko said, he feels a bit out of place in the band playing and style wise after the whole industrial/experimental phase Axl went through. But hell, if he's gelling with Axl, and motivating him to want to get some music out, I'm not gonna complain.

My opinion changed once I saw him play live with the band.

I can't believe grown men are in here complaining about his looks.

DJ has brought an incredible amount of energy to the band, and of all the members, DJ engages with the crowd more than anybody else.

He was and is a perfect pick.

His guitaring is cheesy run-of-the-mill stuff, his sound is generic and I hate his stage antics, hand-behind-the-ear pose, the stupid cigarette and all that. The guy is almost 40 and it's 2011 for fucks sake. DJ is basically a PARODY of anything I like about rock music.

He could gain some resepect if he'd just stop trying so hard and playing it safe all the time, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen any time soon.

I'll agree with this. Adding to this image for me are all the Facebook/Twitter posts he does about all the "hardcore" stuff he does as a rock star. Destroying hotel property, smoking in places where he knows he shouldn't, getting bartenders fired, starting fights with Axl, etc. It just makes him seem like some kind of adolescent trying to play the part of a Guns N' Roses member.

Although I miss Robin, I will admit DJ has really come into his own as a GN'R guitarist and seems to bring an energy to the band (particularly Axl and Ron) that I did not get in 2002 or 2006.

Nope. I liked the first Sixx AM CD and I don't understand why so many people have shit all over him. Okay, you don't like the way he dresses. Personally, I wasn't crazy about seeing a guy with a KFC bucket on his head, but I'm much more concerned about the music and the stage show. It remains to be seen what DJ will contribute to GNR in the recording studio, but I love the energy he brings to the live performances. No complaints.

His guitaring is cheesy run-of-the-mill stuff, his sound is generic and I hate his stage antics, hand-behind-the-ear pose, the stupid cigarette and all that. The guy is almost 40 and it's 2011 for fucks sake. DJ is basically a PARODY of anything I like about rock music.

He could gain some resepect if he'd just stop trying so hard and playing it safe all the time, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen any time soon.

I'll agree with this. Adding to this image for me are all the Facebook/Twitter posts he does about all the "hardcore" stuff he does as a rock star. Destroying hotel property, smoking in places where he knows he shouldn't, getting bartenders fired, starting fights with Axl, etc. It just makes him seem like some kind of adolescent trying to play the part of a Guns N' Roses member.

Although I miss Robin, I will admit DJ has really come into his own as a GN'R guitarist and seems to bring an energy to the band (particularly Axl and Ron) that I did not get in 2002 or 2006.

yeah, all of that shit seems contrived which is weird because he does seem like a sincere guy. you have to give him props for stepping into the situation with the amount of bravado he has. i could do without him fishing for applause at the beginning of WTTJ, though. it ain't his riff, and a little humility to that end would be a lot classier. it's "welcome to the jungle", dude...you don't need to egg the crowd on.

my main issue is that he looks like hot topic barfed nightmare before christmas merch all over him, which i admit is totally superficial on my part. the dude can play the fucking guitar, and that's all that matters. he's way more faithful to slash's work than robin was.

i still feel like 4tus is the best guitarist up there, and i'm glad he gets that shred in at the end of "civil war."

My answer is YES. I didn't have much of an opinion whether good or bad until seeing him play live on this tour. He spent a lot of time on our side of the stage, and I had a blast watching him interact with the crowd and appreciated - as a guitarist myself- his chops. I came away loving all of the guitar players...Fortus was my favorite, and still may be, but Ashba was fantastic, as was Ron and Fortus.

yeah, all of that shit seems contrived which is weird because he does seem like a sincere guy. you have to give him props for stepping into the situation with the amount of bravado he has. i could do without him fishing for applause at the beginning of WTTJ, though. it ain't his riff, and a little humility to that end would be a lot classier. it's "welcome to the jungle", dude...you don't need to egg the crowd on.

my main issue is that he looks like hot topic barfed nightmare before christmas merch all over him, which i admit is totally superficial on my part. the dude can play the fucking guitar, and that's all that matters. he's way more faithful to slash's work than robin was.

i still feel like 4tus is the best guitarist up there, and i'm glad he gets that shred in at the end of "civil war."

You can see the moment you listen to DJ talking, he always wanted to be in a huge band. Beautiful Creatures and the Bullet Boys didn't give him rockstar status. Sixx:AM was his first big band, and still, it was all about Nikki Sixx. When he joined GnR he must've thought "Shit, this is it!", so that's why he's trying to live his childhood dreams today, I think. This is his opportunity to post stuff on twitter and get 5 thousand likes a 2 thousand comments. This is his opportunity to create contacts within the rock n roll world and hollywood for future projects, this is his shot to be noticed. I think he's milking everything he can from these years in GnR 'cause part of him might be afraid to be fired or something. That's why he's tried hard and became Axl's right hand man in the band, even if Axl knows Tommy for more than 13 years. I think this makes him iconic, makes him rememberable, that's his deal. He's a hell of a self promoter. Have you ever seen a not-well-known musician have so much merch on his site? He's living by the same principles as Gene Simmons. You gotta milk everything you can from the opportunity you have, 'cause later you won't regret not doing anything.

When DJ joined the band, the majority of the GnR fan base rejected or neglected him replacing Robin Finck. Now it seems as he's won over a lot of fans, including me. How has your opinion on DJ changed over these years and why so?

Still a Slash-wannabe, that's not as good. But he does an ok job. My opinion is still the same. Best fill in the new band have had in that role, but tries to hard to be Slash.

I'll admit I was gutted when Robin left (I would love to know why he left) because I was looking forward to seeing him perform This I Love live and I consider myself lucky that I saw him play Better and Street of Dreams in Manchester 5 years ago.

DJ on the other hand is a more than capable replacement. Sure, he may look like a cartoon character...sometimes but his enthusiasm can't be beat. His guitar sounds great and I really enjoy seeing him interact with the audience.

I do wish Robin got to play This I Love live, if only once.

The band seem (to me at least) to be more of a hard rock outfit (Which DJ fits into perfectly) nowadays than the experimental one when Robin and Bucket were involved.

This lineup can only and hopefully go from strength to strength.

I know his image bugs a lot of people, but to me the band needs at least one guy like that, aside from Axl of course. Someone for the casual fans in the crowd to get off on and to enjoy interacting with.

That being said, Ron's beard is becoming quite an image. That's all my dad talked about after the show. :lol: